Historic tracks

• Thread starter vxr58
  • 13 comments
Can somebody tell me which cars in the game correspond historically to the following tracks, please:

Historic Spa
Historic Silverstone
Historic Monza
Rouen Les Escart
Historic Hockenheim

Thanks

Can somebody tell me which cars in the game correspond historically to the following tracks, please:

Historic Spa
Historic Silverstone
Historic Monza
Rouen Les Escart
Historic Hockenheim

Thanks

Historic Spa - anything upto 1970 may have run there at some point:
• Aston DBR1
• Ferrari 330P4
• Ford MkIV
• Lotus Type 25
• Lotus Type 40
• Lotus Type 49
• Lotus Type 51
• Merc 300SL
• Porsche 917K

....The best way to find your answer is to find out what years those versions of the circuits were operational and then use the Car List to see which ones correspond to those years.

Historic Spa - anything upto 1970 may have run there at some point:
• Aston DBR1
• Ferrari 330P4
• Ford MkIV
• Lotus Type 25
• Lotus Type 40
• Lotus Type 49
• Lotus Type 51
• Merc 300SL
• Porsche 917K

....The best way to find your answer is to find out what years those versions of the circuits were operational and then use the Car List to see which ones correspond to those years.

Thank you Cracker, appreciated. Had attempted to do that but it’s difficult to nail down the precise year of the tracks. It’s just a geeky desire of mine to drive authentic cars on these vintage tracks. Will have to do some more research, if I can be arsed.

Spa actually has several different variations that go back to the original, pre-war layout. Several of the corners were removed or changed over the years, the town of Malmedy was bypassed, etc. Generally speaking though, the “long version” of Spa was used until 1978. So basically any Vintage Prototype, GT, or other car from before 1978 would be good to go at the Classic Spa in pcars.

Silverstone was basically the same from 1952 until 1990. The only changes that were made was the addition of the Woodcoat chicane in 1975, and rerouting Bridge corner slightly in 1987. The version in the game is basically the 1975 version. Unless you’re extremely picky though, anything pre 1987 is historically accurate enough.

The version of Monza that’s in the game was used from 1952 until 1972. The combined circuit was used in various Grand Prix, sportscar events (1000km of Monza), and the Race of Two Worlds. The combined circuit was last used for a GP in 1961, and last used for a sportscar race in 1969. The “Classic GP” layout in the game was as it is until 1972, the year that saw the addition of the Rhettiffilio chicane after the start finish, and the Ascari Chicane at the left hand kink bearing the same name. The modern version of the circuit is accurate for 2000 and onwards, as that’s when the change to the first chicane was made. There are several variations of the circuit between 1972 and 2000, with changes being made at basically every corner over time.

The long version of Rouen les Essart was used from 1956 to 1970. In 1971, the long version was used, but with chicanes added in various spots (boooo!). The version of Rouen les Essart Short, as it’s called in the game, was only used in 1972. This short circuit was used all the way up until 1993, but with chicanes added in various places, most noteably the high speed downhill section after the start/finish. Again, unless you want to be ultra picky, any car from 1956-1993 feels at home on these circuits (if you want a challenge, try doing a multiclass race with you in a Group C car, on the long version of the circuit. It’s like Le Mans, but more cramped lol).

Hockenheim classic as it is in the game is basically what the circuit was from 1965-1991. In that era, there were small tweaks to some of the chicanes, but only minor changes. In 1992, the second chicane was change pretty significantly, but the rest of the circuit remained the same. This long version was used all the way up until the 2000 German GP. The Tilke-fied version of the circuit came into use in 2002.

Other circuits that work well with the historic cars, especially if you can bend your imagination just a bit, include:

-Azure Circuit
-Bannochbrae
-Bathurst (basically unchanged as far as I know)
-Brands Hatch (small changes to some apexes, no major changes)
-Brno (1987-present)
-Cadwell Park
-Daytona Road Course (minor changes to chicanes and apexes, otherwise the same since the 60s)
-Donington Park (short version dates back to ‘77, GP version built in ‘85, the rest unchanged to present day)
-Leguna Seca (1988-present, although the entire stretch from current T5 all the way to T1 is basically the original layout, opened in the 50s).
-Nürburgring Nordschleife (no explanation necessary)
-Oulton Park (goes back to the ‘50s, virtually unchanged with the exception of the 2 chicanes. In free run, you can push the barriers aside and run the old course, no chicanes - it’s wicked fast. Would be an extremely easy addition to the game!)
-Road America (unchanged since it opened in 1955)
-Snetterton 200 (this one is a bit of a stretch, but most of this circuit goes back to the original layout. The 300 version was completed in 2011).
-Sonoma Raceway GP (1968-present, other than minor changes at the two hairpins, basically the same as the day it opened).
-Sportsland SUGO (1975-present, unchanged)
-Watkins Glen (if you can turn a blind eye to the paved runoff, and forget the chicane, this is basically unchanged since ‘71)
-Willow Springs Int (completely unchanged since it opened in 1953. Don’t sleep on this track, it’s incredible in the older cars.

Imola has changed a lot over the years, but at the same time, it’s kind of the same.

This is a cool site I found all about Rouen les Essart
http://8w.forix.com/rouen-facts.html

And here’s a cool video of sportscar racing in the ‘70s, with all kinds of great ideas for races to remake in pcars

Last edited:
Spa actually has several different variations that go back to the original, pre-war layout. Several of the corners were removed or changed over the years, the town of Malmedy was bypassed, etc. Generally speaking though, the “long version” of Spa was used until 1978. So basically any Vintage Prototype, GT, or other car from before 1978 would be good to go at the Classic Spa in pcars.

Silverstone was basically the same from 1952 until 1990. The only changes that were made was the addition of the Woodcoat chicane in 1975, and rerouting Bridge corner slightly in 1987. The version in the game is basically the 1975 version. Unless you’re extremely picky though, anything pre 1987 is historically accurate enough.

The version of Monza that’s in the game was used from 1952 until 1972. The combined circuit was used in various Grand Prix, sportscar events (1000km of Monza), and the Race of Two Worlds. The combined circuit was last used for a GP in 1961, and last used for a sportscar race in 1969. The “Classic GP” layout in the game was as it is until 1972, the year that saw the addition of the Rhettiffilio chicane after the start finish, and the Ascari Chicane at the left hand kink bearing the same name. The modern version of the circuit is accurate for 2000 and onwards, as that’s when the change to the first chicane was made. There are several variations of the circuit between 1972 and 2000, with changes being made at basically every corner over time.

The long version of Rouen les Essart was used from 1956 to 1970. In 1971, the long version was used, but with chicanes added in various spots (boooo!). The version of Rouen les Essart Short, as it’s called in the game, was only used in 1972. This short circuit was used all the way up until 1993, but with chicanes added in various places, most noteably the high speed downhill section after the start/finish. Again, unless you want to be ultra picky, any car from 1956-1993 feels at home on these circuits (if you want a challenge, try doing a multiclass race with you in a Group C car, on the long version of the circuit. It’s like Le Mans, but more cramped lol).

Hockenheim classic as it is in the game is basically what the circuit was from 1965-1991. In that era, there were small tweaks to some of the chicanes, but only minor changes. In 1992, the second chicane was change pretty significantly, but the rest of the circuit remained the same. This long version was used all the way up until the 2000 German GP. The Tilke-fied version of the circuit came into use in 2002.

Other circuits that work well with the historic cars, especially if you can bend your imagination just a bit, include:

-Azure Circuit
-Bannochbrae
-Bathurst (basically unchanged as far as I know)
-Brands Hatch (small changes to some apexes, no major changes)
-Brno (1987-present)
-Cadwell Park
-Daytona Road Course (minor changes to chicanes and apexes, otherwise the same since the 60s)
-Donington Park (short version dates back to ‘77, GP version built in ‘85, the rest unchanged to present day)
-Leguna Seca (1988-present, although the entire stretch from current T5 all the way to T1 is basically the original layout, opened in the 50s).
-Nürburgring Nordschleife (no explanation necessary)
-Oulton Park (goes back to the ‘50s, virtually unchanged with the exception of the 2 chicanes. In free run, you can push the barriers aside and run the old course, no chicanes - it’s wicked fast. Would be an extremely easy addition to the game!)
-Road America (unchanged since it opened in 1955)
-Snetterton 200 (this one is a bit of a stretch, but most of this circuit goes back to the original layout. The 300 version was completed in 2011).
-Sonoma Raceway GP (1968-present, other than minor changes at the two hairpins, basically the same as the day it opened).
-Sportsland SUGO (1975-present, unchanged)
-Watkins Glen (if you can turn a blind eye to the paved runoff, and forget the chicane, this is basically unchanged since ‘71)
-Willow Springs Int (completely unchanged since it opened in 1953. Don’t sleep on this track, it’s incredible in the older cars.

Imola has changed a lot over the years, but at the same time, it’s kind of the same.

This is a cool site I found all about Rouen les Essart
http://8w.forix.com/rouen-facts.html

And here’s a cool video of sportscar racing in the ‘70s, with all kinds of great ideas for races to remake in pcars

That is absolutely amazing!! You are one seriously good egg, cheers pal.

@Sick Cylinder here's a thread that's just calling out for your knowledge of cars and tracks. ;)

@twitcher beat me to it with his excellent and comprehensive post - much better than I could manage!

@vxr58 - Twitcher referred to the "Race of Two Worlds" held at Monza (also known as Monzanapolis) - you can restage this race using cars similar to those which raced in 1957. Select the banked track and multi-class vintage Indy + GTC. Drive either the Agajanian Watson Roadster (start last) or the Aston Martin DBR1/300 (start first). Go ultra slow as the AI keep wrecking then build up speed - very exciting and challenging. The only flies in the ointment are the lack of Jaguar D Types from the game and the fact that SMS force you to drive the banked circuit in the wrong direction! Come on @IanBell please let us run banked Monza in reverse to make this race more accurate!

I am not sure if @twitcher mentioned Ruapuna Park, but this circuit opened in 1963 and has a lovely classic feel and is ideal for the Lotus 25 and Lotus 49.

Bannochbrae has many features in common with the old Longford, Tasmania track used in the Tasman single seater series so I use it as a substitute and race the Lotus 25 and 49's. It also makes a good Targa Florio substitute if you set it to dawn. Also a very good track at night especially for GTB, GTC and GTD (I tend to avoid GTA at night because too many of those cars lack headlights). Try Bannochbrae with the Porsche 908!

Long Beach has been in use since 1975 - try it in daytime with the Lotus 72. Very good with the Turbo Lotus F1 and brilliant at night - probably the best night circuit in the game - with GTB, GTO etc.

Daytona road course used to lack the bus stop chicane - to get a feel for racing it without try the Texas Road track at night with the Ford MK4, Ferrari 330 P4, Porsche 917 or Ferrari 512.

Below: Monzanapolis - top picture magazine reconstruction at Rockingham - bottom two pictures: the real thing - Jaguar D Types v Indy Roadsters on the banking at Monza!

Monzanapolis.jpg

Last edited:
@twitcher beat me to it with his excellent and comprehensive post - much better than I could manage!

@vxr58 - Twitcher referred to the "Race of Two Worlds" held at Monza (also known as Monzanapolis) - you can restage this race using cars similar to those which raced in 1957. Select the banked track and multi-class vintage Indy + GTC. Drive either the Agajanian Watson Roadster (start last) or the Aston Martin DBR1/300 (start first). Go ultra slow as the AI keep wrecking then build up speed - very exciting and challenging. The only flies in the ointment are the lack of Jaguar D Types from the game and the fact that SMS force you to drive the banked circuit in the wrong direction! Come on @IanBell please let us run banked Monza in reverse to make this race more accurate!

I am not sure if @twitcher mentioned Ruapuna Park, but this circuit opened in 1963 and has a lovely classic feel and is ideal for the Lotus 25 and Lotus 49.

Bannochbrae has many features in common with the old Longford, Tasmania track used in the Tasman single seater series so I use it as a substitute and race the Lotus 25 and 49's. It also makes a good Targa Florio substitute if you set it to dawn. Also a very good track at night especially for GTB, GTC and GTD (I tend to avoid GTA at night because too many of those cars lack headlights). Try Bannochbrae with the Porsche 908!

Long Beach has been in use since 1975 - try it in daytime with the Lotus 72. Very good with the Turbo Lotus F1 and brilliant at night - probably the best night circuit in the game - with GTB, GTO etc.

Daytona road course used to lack the bus stop chicane - to get a feel for racing it without try the Texas Road track at night with the Ford MK4, Ferrari 330 P4, Porsche 917 or Ferrari 512.

Below: Monzanapolis - top picture magazine reconstruction at Rockingham - bottom two pictures: the real thing - Jaguar D Types v Indy Roadsters on the banking at Monza!

View attachment 750462

I hadn’t thought of using Bannochbrae as a Targa Florio substitute, great idea 👍 (still want to see the the real one in a game some day :lol:)

I also didn’t realize Ruapuna was that old

View attachment 750462

Also absolutely awesome, thank you. Hours of exploring to be done between this and Twitchers recommendations. I really enjoy the authenticity of this game and being able to experience what it was like for the drivers racing these circuits. Historic Spa is incredible, constant high speeds and inches from houses! Would love to see 70s Nurburgring in the game at some point, but fair play to SMS, the track listing is fantastic, can't complain.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated.

Back