Hogwarts Legacy

• Thread starter sirjim73
  • 59 comments
England
Reading
cutback73
cutback73

It feels like there should be a ' after the S in Hogwarts? But anyway...

You've seen the trailer.

What got you excited (or not)?

For me, forget the graphics and game, the first thing I noticed is the voiceover...

It's Jim Dale!

As in Carry On Jim Dale :D:tup:

I'm really pumped for this. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and, while some of the movie tie in were OK. Half blood Prince being one that finally started to open up Hogwarts but was mediocre otherwise.

This looks like the ultimate Wizarding World fantasy, there's hints of a big open world or at least multiple large areas to explore. The time period setting will be very interesting for fans of the lore and it certainly seems like there will be plenty to do and and interesting story to tie it together.

Also, that shot over the costal hillside :drool:. Might be worth a next gen console purchase just to get the full effect of this game.
Screenshot_20200917-112912_Chrome.jpg

Worth pointing out that although it was shown at the PS5 showcase, it is coming to every console, including apparently the PS4 and Xbox One.

Giving this thread a well-deserved, well-overdue bump. Also want to flex at my skills using the search feature! 💪😎

Yesterday I preordered the Hogwarts Legacy deluxe edition for my Xbox Series X. WB and Sony are doing some PS exclusive nonsense again… 🙄 But whatever, looking forward to it!

By the way for anyone who wants to get into this game and fully prepare for it, you can create an account at WizardingWorld.com and at WB gaming, link those 2 and answer some questions at the former site to have them decide which house, wand and patronus is chosen for you. I did that and got the following:
667C69E3-4EFA-4661-B272-7334733CB4AA.jpeg

Supposedly these will also be presented like that for me when I play the game, but I still have the option to either accept them or choose my own.

Since release day is close for the current gen consoles and PC they also created a new launch trailer. Pretty neat!

Giving this thread a well-deserved, well-overdue bump. Also want to flex at my skills using the search feature! 💪😎

Yesterday I preordered the Hogwarts Legacy deluxe edition for my Xbox Series X. WB and Sony are doing some PS exclusive nonsense again… 🙄 But whatever, looking forward to it!

By the way for anyone who wants to get into this game and fully prepare for it, you can create an account at WizardingWorld.com and at WB gaming, link those 2 and answer some questions at the former site to have them decide which house, wand and patronus is chosen for you. I did that and got the following:
View attachment 1228392

Supposedly these will also be presented like that for me when I play the game, but I still have the option to either accept them or choose my own.

Since release day is close for the current gen consoles and PC they also created a new launch trailer. Pretty neat!

I've also pre-ordered deluxe, albeit for PS5. Really excited about this, tried to keep clear of the hype and leaks and stuff so I can go in and just enjoy it. But the prospect of the open castle and areas around it being completely explorable is tantalising and exciting.
Screenshot_20230205-134829.png

Review embargo lifted today ahead of the deluxe edition launch. MetaCritic averages so far looking very positive. 89 for Xbox Series X (11 reviews) and 86 for PS5 (42 reviews).

The world itself, how much there is to do and the combat proving to be absolute highlights so far. Really pleased to hear the combat is good, was worried that it might lack being wand based but doesn't seem to be the case.

My deluxe copy has been shipped, royal mail tracked 24 so should definitely be seeing it tomorrow. Can't wait.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call myself a big Harry Potter fan having only read the first 4 books as a kid in the late 90s and watching the movies for the first time last year. But this game looks fun anyways, so I got the digital deluxe version downloaded and ready to play tonight or tomorrow for PS5.

Last edited:
I want to get this for Xbox but Sony bought some exclusive content… and I am not sure if I want to miss out on it.
The exclusivity deal last 1 year. Still pretty annoying though for Xbox users.

But if you have the choice between PS5 and Xbox Series I would indeed go PS5.

Review embargo lifted today ahead of the deluxe edition launch. MetaCritic averages so far looking very positive. 89 for Xbox Series X (11 reviews) and 86 for PS5 (42 reviews).

The world itself, how much there is to do and the combat proving to be absolute highlights so far. Really pleased to hear the combat is good, was worried that it might lack being wand based but doesn't seem to be the case.

My deluxe copy has been shipped, royal mail tracked 24 so should definitely be seeing it tomorrow. Can't wait.
Will they be delivering it in a blue Ford Anglia?

Seems like you are all in for a treat! ACG says BUY.

Last edited:
Just did the tutorial part until I got my field guide. First impressions: what a game! It’s been ages I played something with this level of quality. The visuals (lighting, colour palette, objects and surfaces, spell effects) are top notch. The characters and voice actors are great as well.

Can’t wait to continue playing tomorrow!

Just did the tutorial part until I got my field guide. First impressions: what a game! It’s been ages I played something with this level of quality. The visuals (lighting, colour palette, objects and surfaces, spell effects) are top notch. The characters and voice actors are great as well.

This is giving me some optimism. I'm waiting until I get a PS5 to get it, but peaking around at impressions makes it seem rather good.

Totally agree, it is breathtaking, absolutely breathtaking. I'm a bit further on (about 2 hours total play), and it is just stunning. The combat is pleasingly robust and I can see it will have a good amount of depth, the voice work and animations are stellar. The visuals are truly beautiful, surfaces, textures, reflections, lighting, the whole lot is magnificent. And don't get me started on the world itself, good lord, I've seen a tiny part of what it has to offer and I simply cannot wait to dive in further.

Bravo Avalanche, bravo.

The game has broken the record for concurrent Twitch viewers, peaking at 1.2m.

Yes, some of it will have been down to the Twitch drops but still, an impressive achievement. Elden Ring got to 900k and Cyberpunk to 1.1m.

It is a very cinematic game as well after all. 😏 I’m not surprised it’s scoring well on Twitch.

Talking about Twitch, there are some exclusive Twitch drops you can get as well. 4 items from watching any Hogwarts Legacy streamer with twitch drops enabled, but the Merlin Cloak is only obtainable on Friday 10th of Feb at 8 AM PST / 4 PM GMT / 5 PM CET.

I got the cloak during the stream yesterday and it’s one of the best looking free / preorder / deluxe items IMO. So if you consider getting it as well, Friday is your last chance.

The 4 Twitch drops (any time, any HL channel) :

868CB5F7-6CD2-424B-868D-7E87BF29196F.jpeg

The Merlin Cloak (only official AvalanceSoftware Twitch channel on Friday 10th Feb :
5DA3EADA-ED71-40F9-9C1B-11429A2ADC45.jpeg

The game has broken the record for concurrent Twitch viewers, peaking at 1.2m.

Yes, some of it will have been down to the Twitch drops but still, an impressive achievement. Elden Ring got to 900k and Cyberpunk to 1.1m.

a LOT of it is down to the drops

a LOT of it is down to the drops
Isn’t that for every game though? I learned the previous singleplayer Twitch champion was Cyberpunk 2077 and some quick googling made me learn that game had Twitch drops as well.

Isn’t that for every game though? I learned the previous singleplayer Twitch champion was Cyberpunk 2077 and some quick googling made me learn that game had Twitch drops as well.
It's becoming more common, though mainly for games that have a simultaneous PC release (not really a big thing yet for console exclusives) and that do the paid early access. I suppose it's a good deal for those who care about getting the cosmetic items early and free.

Had a quick look. The graphics do look very impressive along with the open world. Not sure about the decision to start with a 5th year and the combat & enemies look like it could get a bit repetitive. I'm on the fence, not jumping on the (red) hype train just yet - will probably wait for a sale.

Last edited:
Very much enjoying this game, got about 4 hours in because I couldn't put it down. It's more than I thought it was going to be with the absolutely massive world to explore. While it seems to take a long time to get through tutorial type missions and into the freedom to explore, it's just a lot of fun to see the details of the castle, meet characters and find secrets. The combat is taking me some time to adjust to, but not bad.

Been a very long time since I've played a game that I feel like really diving into and seeing every corner of it. I can't even imagine what's left to see outside the castle area.

Yeah I got big sentiment for the hogwarts castle as well. I’m not even a Harry Potter fan (more of a Lord of the Rings person to be honest), but the interior of the castle is probably the most detailed interior I have ever seen in any game. This morning I continued playing for an hour or so and I caught myself watching paintings, tapestries, statues, tile-work and whatnot on the interiors of the castle constantly. In other games I just run past that stuff without even noticing much. The details are incredible and honestly go far beyond any interior styling I have ever seen before in a game. I would even recommend checking the game out as a touristic fantasy-castle walking simulator without the game itself (ofc not for the full price, thinking more about Assassin’s Creed discovery tours and such if you know what I mean).

In regards to combat, it feels quick and smooth and I’m getting used to it as well. But reviewers who already finished the game seem to praise it a lot.

In a way I’m also looking forward to complete freedom and do what I want, but I’m not there yet. On the other side I don’t mind this heavy scripted hand-holding questing either, yes it’s a reduction in freedom but the storytelling and character interaction greatly benefits from it as well.

Also I really like how the game feels very polished overall, that goes from the voice acting, sound FX, colour palette, shadow and lighting effects, art style but also the UI, the menu and the field guide. It all has a high quality atmosphere.

On the flip side though, field of view is very very near. This is probably also how they can get away with such high details. But I’ve been on a few occasions already where I wish I could “zoom out” a bit to admire my surroundings better. Having access to the broom and flying might fix that, but I’m not there yet.

For people on the fence of getting the game, one thing that might be a red flag is replayability (if that matters much). I don’t plan to go through the game more than once, but I can see if you plan to make 4 characters and do each of the houses once, the game might be very repetitive because of all the scripted questing at the start of the game. For those early hours I think every character plays almost exactly the same, with the exception of some minor house quest / NPC differences.

Not sold on it yet, games look nice from the streams I've seen but I dont know about the lack of story and the lack of the Harry gang. I fell in love with the characters first, not the castle. And I was hoping we could have a real story starting from year 1.

Also lots of content seems locked behind money walls or other stuffs (deluxe editions for mounts), some costumes from twitch etc.. And I really try to avoid games with content like that.

I have absolutely on interst in Harry Potter haven't read a single book, haven't watched a single film but still want to play this game, looks amazing.

Will probably have to pick this up once it's on sale.

Not sold on it yet, games look nice from the streams I've seen but I dont know about the lack of story and the lack of the Harry gang. I fell in love with the characters first, not the castle. And I was hoping we could have a real story starting from year 1.

Also lots of content seems locked behind money walls or other stuffs (deluxe editions for mounts), some costumes from twitch etc.. And I really try to avoid games with content like that.
There's definitely no lack of story in my opinion, I'm really enjoying that aspect of it and the characters are well written. I don't mind so much the lack of characters from the original stories because that stuff has been done.

I agree with the content stuff to a point, it's all cosmetic stuff, the game has transmog so the extra costumes and items are purely cosmetic, there's no ability gain from the extra stuff which is good, and certainly the lesser of the evils in my opinion. However the PS exclusive quest I can see being a frustration for Xbox and PC players.

Speaking of PS exclusives, I couldn't resist ordering this controller.

Went on sale at 10am today and has already sold out. They said available while stocks last so that's that. Glad I got my order in.

There's definitely no lack of story in my opinion, I'm really enjoying that aspect of it and the characters are well written. I don't mind so much the lack of characters from the original stories because that stuff has been done.

I agree with the content stuff to a point, it's all cosmetic stuff, the game has transmog so the extra costumes and items are purely cosmetic, there's no ability gain from the extra stuff which is good, and certainly the lesser of the evils in my opinion. However the PS exclusive quest I can see being a frustration for Xbox and PC players.

Speaking of PS exclusives, I couldn't resist ordering this controller.

Went on sale at 10am today and has already sold out. They said available while stocks last so that's that. Glad I got my order in.

I had the same problem with the game of the Lords of the Rings, not featuring any of the movies heroes, it just felt weird to me because as much as I like the world, I fell in love with the characters, not the world so much. But hey I'm glad the game is working but so far I dont feel the need to play it. And i've read Harry Potter books a lot.

Back