Hogwarts Legacy

• Thread starter sirjim73
  • 59 comments
I’m actually glad it’s a “100-year” prequel to everything Harry Potter & friends related. This means those characters are not standing in the way in a restrictive manner, and the writers for the game have full freedom of what to do with their characters.
Definitely agree. I for one am glad it isn't just a game based off the movies or books. Makes it much better in my opinion. Feel it would have just been regurgitated with little new, and would have held it back. Current story is definitely interesting enough in its own right.

Here's my character so far, just unlocked the Room of Requirement last time I played:
f57be9a4-d638-4349-9eb4-0893a66ada69.png

Last edited:
Seeing all the great scores and reviews about, this morning I thought sod it and bought the Digital version. I’m not one for skins/costumes etc. so I’m happy to skip the extra bits.

Just downloading as I type.

I suspect the new PS5 controller will be quite good with this game. Hmmmm.

So far it’s quite a game. Looks ace and plays really well.

Would be cool if this game had some sort of coop, even if it was limited. Exploring thr world on broomstick with a friend sounds fun. Although, I'd imagine you'd probably absolutely obliterate everything you come into contact with.

About 13 hours in and spent quite a lot of time just exploring rather than doing quests, because there is so much to discover.

I've just finished the mission that introduces the player to...
the Room of Requirements and spent a load of time just customizing the room and figuring out how things work. Didn't expect that level customization.

About 13 hours in and spent quite a lot of time just exploring rather than doing quests, because there is so much to discover.

I've just finished the mission that introduces the player to...
the Room of Requirements and spent a load of time just customizing the room and figuring out how things work. Didn't expect that level customization.

Couldn't agree more, so cool being to able to really make it your own space. Get quite excited now finding rugs out in the world 😅.

You can tell it's mostly adults playing the game. All I see online (about the actual game, not the other stuff) is people simping over Professor Garlick.

You can tell it's mostly adults playing the game. All I see online (about the actual game, not the other stuff) is people simping over Professor Garlick.

😂. People will get thirsty over anything nowadays. Makes sense it's mostly adults anyway that aside, definitely not a kids game. Think it's been squarely aimed at the people who grew up with with the franchise.

😂. People will get thirsty over anything nowadays. Makes sense it's mostly adults anyway that aside, definitely not a kids game. Think it's been squarely aimed at the people who grew up with with the franchise.
Well the game is rated 12 in my country so that puts it in the kids category in one sense.

Also, whilst the people who were kids when the books first launched certainly grew up with the franchise, so have subsequent groups of people - my son is 16 and has been involved in Harry Potter since he read the first book about aged 7 and my daughter is 13 and also started reading HP about the age of 7. So they have certainly "grown up" with the franchise.

I found that the game does not hold your hand very much, so I feel the game would be too complicated for a younger audience anyways. Then again, maybe I underestimate kids (they seem to be crazy smart with videogames) and I am just the old fart that struggles with some aspects of the game. :lol:

I've actually very much enjoyed the lack of hand holding, it's been fun, maybe sometimes challenging, to learn how things work.

Sales are absolutely huge, 80% higher first week sales than Elden Ring last February, and that's with Hogwarts launching on 2 fewer platforms. Biggest non CoD or FIFA launch since RDR2 and, goes without saying, biggest Harry Potter universe game launch since the Philosopher's Stone in 2001.

Also killing it on MetaCritic, PS5 sits at 84 critic score (80 reviews) and 9.1 user score (2299 reviews), XSX is 90 critics' (16 reviews) and 9.0 user (571 reviews). PC a touch lower, 83 and 8.5 respectively.

Impressive numbers, and deservedly so.

Finally found the last few House Tokens and unlocked the chest in the common room.

The house cloak is a bit of a let down in terms of the work you put in to finding them all.

So far really enjoying it.

My guy so far

803262E8-A5C2-49C2-B5D0-D052874F2E98.png

You can tell it's mostly adults playing the game.
Its a violent game, if you ask me. Definitely not for kids, but for 12+ y.o would be ok.

IMO, it has identity crisis - its too linear and too simplistic for RPG and too complicated and boring for you average action adventure. Definitely, there could be great HP-films style AA game with less violence or great ARPG with Bully-level simulation, Fable's dark/good roleplay, Skyrim's level of crafts and lore. But in result we have Jack of all trades and master of none.

Still great game in HP franchise. I really hope there would be part 2 similar to Shadow of War/Mordor with more direction.

I really like the fact that the NPC's seemingly have a somewhat randomized interaction every once in a while. Always run into something that is out of the norm when just wandering.

Also, I know we're in a magical land, but come on..

I absolutely LOVE that you can have vivariums to house and nurture the beasts. I also love how big each of these areas are, and on top of what was already a cool little feature, you can breed the beasts as well! I just think that's an amazingly cool feature.

18674ee2f0974-screenshotUrl (1)~2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome that the seasons actually change! I was exploring the castle this weekend as I just unlocked Alohomora, and noticed the courtyard had Jack-o-lanterns everywhere.

Picked this up for my wife on launch day... her being a big fan of the Harry Potter universe, I thought this may be a game that she would actually play - she's not a gamer (not really anyway, she would watch me play Tomb Raider, etc., although she did play Diablo with me on PS4...) - but will watch me play certain games.

She's probably played 20-25 hours so far (and is terrible at controlling the camera, so ends up running along a wall or the like. LOL!!) and generally plays if I'm racing my RC cars or up in my room doing some iRacing, but I have watched her play several times (which is a huge role-reversal in our house...) and have really enjoyed it and am looking at starting the game myself. Pretty amazed at how gi-normous the world feels, even though it does have some limitations, there seems to be a LOT to explore.

This is actually insane. All that discourse and it still made these numbers :sly:
Just shows that all the fuss was just a really vocal minority on both sides, most folks are not that polarised about that specific topic. E.g. you can frown upon the author of a certain IP, but still enjoy a derivative work in the same universe. But on the internet it's always binary: if you're not with me, you're my enemy. Doesnt work like that in real life.

Back