Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
I knew it! I knew that I remember reading somewhere that the 1997 & 1998 Acura Integra Type Rs only came in Championship White. It turns out that was listed on a wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Type_R
The Type R was introduced as a 1997 model to the US market under the Acura brand with the only option being air-conditioning. In the US, the car would only be available in Championship White in 1997 and 1998. The Type R was not available for 1999 but returned in 2000 and remained until the end of DC2 production in 2001. Two colors were available for 2000 and 2001: Phoenix Yellow ('00-'01) and Flamenco Black Pearl ('00) or Nighthawk Black Pearl ('01).

The 1997 Integra Type R made 25HP more than the Integra GS-R and was 93 lbs lighter. At the time, the Integra Type R set the record for the most power per liter (108HP per liter) of a naturally aspirated piston engine ever produced for the US. This record would later be broken by the Honda S2000 which made 120HP per liter.

Production would be limited to 320 units in 1997 and 1,000 units in 1998. 1,350 units were built for the US in 2000 and 1,158 in 2001. A total of 3,823 Integra Type R were produced.[3]

It also listed those models as championship white in these links:
http://www.integratyper.org/specs/master_comparison.htm
http://www.integratyper.org/specs/usdm-type-r-sales.htm

I've never seen one in the USA in Championship white. Only yellow or black. Hey, I learned something new.

Last edited:
As someone who's owned 3 of them (a '97, '98 and '01) I just want to clear things up a bit/be an anorak.

Basically, 1997-1998 only had Championship White, be it US or Canada. 2000-2001 had yellow and black, except Canada who had yellow and CW. Black was not available up north for some reason. Also interesting, there were two black colors (Flamenco Black Pearl and Nighthawk Black Pearl), each available one year. The US didn't get a 1999 model year but Canada did, only available in CW. In 2001, CW was available in Canada and it had the slightly garish/slightly cool red interior that was exclusive to the Canadian market and ultra rare, the yellow ones had the regular black interior:
10919269_1593764507522108_1352647191_n.jpg

In Japan, 1996 introduced the redesigned front end, and the car was available in CW, black and silver on both the hatchback and the 4 door, with 4x114.3 15" wheels. The 1998 R-Spec update brought 16" 5x114.3 wheels, 5 more hp and yellow and red exterior colors for the hatchback, but still only white/silver/black for the 4 door.

The 1999 Type-Rx was also available with yellow seats with the yellow exterior, which might be too much yellow. :P
3962084037_b69919df69.jpg

And in Europe the car was available from 1998-2001 with only white, black and red as color options, and featured the US/Canada front end instead of the JDM one.

For $34k I would much rather wait a few years in the USA and import a legitimate 90's Type R Civic or Integra and pocket the remaining $10-20k. Hell, $34k can buy a mint NSX or S2000. $34k can buy a brand new Honda Fit and an entire year's worth of bills. A year without having to work, in my opinion, would be worth more than any car lol

For $34k I would much rather wait a few years in the USA and import a legitimate 90's Type R Civic or Integra and pocket the remaining $10-20k. Hell, $34k can buy a mint NSX or S2000. $34k can buy a brand new Honda Fit and an entire year's worth of bills. A year without having to work, in my opinion, would be worth more than any car lol
The "you can get this or that" is the same argument you can make for anything. If you have to look at it that way, you were never really interested in the first place.

How to be an American car enthusiast:

1. Complain that you're not getting a car that's available in Europe.
2. Be happy after the car eventually comes to the US.
3. Outrage about its price, even though it's cheaper than in Europe.
4. Don't buy it.
5. Said car is no longer available because of poor sales.

Rinse and repeat.

Price sounds about right. Isn't that what the Focus RS was around?
Yeah, the Focus RS is close to the price point at 35 or 36k USD. The Subaru WRX STI is in that price bracket aswell and the VW Golf R starts at $39,375 according to their website.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Focus RS is either starting at 35 or 36k USD. The Subaru WRX STI is in that price bracket aswell and the VW Golf R starts at $39,375 according to their website.
The Civic Type R actually undercuts the RS, STI, and R by a few thousand US dollars.

I'd enjoy watching or reading a comparison test between those cars. I have love for Honda though, their engines and reliability are bulletproof. The STi is working with a decade-old engine. When that car gets an upgrade under the hood, I will almost certainly prefer it over the Honda.

Even a decently optioned 6 cylinder Camaro/Mustang would cost almost that much now.

I was confused by this post, I find it sad that a optioned version a weaker performance version sport coupe is in the same ball park as a hot hatch/sedan.

I was confused by this post, I find it sad that a optioned version a weaker performance version sport coupe is in the same ball park as a hot hatch/sedan.
Sorry for the confusion. I find it sad as well that a 6 cylinder Camaro or Ecoboost Mustang costs over $30k MSRP.

It makes the Civic Type R look well priced to me.

9.88 lbs/hp - Focus RS
10.19 lbs/hp - Civic Type R
11.27 lbs/hp - Golf R
11.33 lbs/hp - WRX STi

According to Honda, weight is 3,117 lbs. or 175 lbs lighter than the Golf and 340 lbs less than the other two.

Sorry for the confusion. I find it sad as well that a 6 cylinder Camaro or Ecoboost Mustang costs over $30k MSRP.

It makes the Civic Type R look well priced to me.

I looked up what you said, and it was sad because the optioned out Camaro V6 I set up on the web through Chevy, came out to be 41k...

So these newer compact sport cars are probably a better deal and can carry more people in comfort as well. I agree it probably is well priced when you consider what you're getting.

I don't think that's really the question.

The question is more like what will typical Honda Civic Type R ownership look like? (in the USA anyways)

At a 100% premium over the MSRP (and edging ludicrously close to the Ferrari-developed 505hp Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifolgio, mind you) nobody who buys one of these cars for $60k+ is going to use it as Honda might have hoped. These cars are going straight into a climate controlled garage.

The exact same car is Europe has nothing like the same hype it has in the USA. The previous few Type-R's came and went without any of this market-adjusted drama.

Even at $32k I wasn't even considering a CTR because it has strayed way too far from it's original ethos. At $65k, who on earth would pick a Civic Type R over a M3 or QF? The Civic Type R isn't near as special as those cars and considerably slower too.

A lot of the market-adjusted price hikes are at least conceptually understandable, but should the Type R badge really be that desirable? I don't think even within Japan the Type R "legend" is as hyperbolic as it is in the US.

*facepalm* Really Honda? C'mooon, who in the right mind would pay $60,000 for a Honda Civic? It's like paying $200,000 for a new Ford Mustang, it's just not worth it.
Not Honda's fault. That would be the independently owned dealerships. Manufactures usually frown upon markups. I know Dodge threatened dealerships that tried to mark up the Hellcats that they would not allow them to order more if their current over priced ones sat on the lot for too long.

I blame Honda for the price mark up, but then again I blame the car culture as well and what it has become. Where groups are willing to build limited run performance variants of existing cars that will either hold or increase in value because they're so rare. If type Rs had been a thing in the U.S. prior, this probably wouldn't be an issue. I mean look at STis, and others of the same category who have had previous versions in the U.S. None of them have this problem because they've existed for some time through various generations.

Dealerships are corrupt and there is no need for them to exist anymore. They're only still around to provide a few thousand people with jobs. I would never pay more than the MSRP for any new vehicle. If someone else wants to be a sucker and over-pay, it won't bother me at all.

Back