Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
I think it's strange to me that they chose that style of wing, because traditionally the Type R has had these "hoop" style (idk how else to call them) wings that are body colored.

FD2

View attachment 1175327

FK2

View attachment 1175328

FK8

View attachment 1175329

FL5

View attachment 1175332
Lighter than the traditional solid end plates? Maybe? Functional and aesthetically pleasing for this new body?
I see many sporting cars today, use more of a race car GT wing than a fluid spoiler connected to the body.

Looks great. I dig the wing but I wish it was white with black mounts. Also I think they missed a massive opportunity to make it AWD and really slam the door in Subaru's face.

Brochure leaked revealing specs

1430kg (3152 lb)
243 kW @ 6500 rpm (325 hp)
420 Nm @ 2600 - 4000 rpm (310 lb-ft)

EDIT:

US Spec confirmed to have "315 hp at 6,500 rpm and 310 lb-ft of torque from 2,600 to 4,000 rpm."

The engine redlines at 7,000 rpm, and makes a maximum of 23.3 psi of boost. It’s paired with a lighter flywheel for better response, and the six-speed manual (the only transmission available) gets more precise shift gates and an improved automatic rev-matching system. A bigger radiator, larger grille openings and an air-extractor vent in the hood all help manage the heat that mighty little motor will create. A helical-type limited-slip differential helps put the power down, while the dual-axis front suspension has been tweaked to keep torque-steer at bay.

1ee3d0e4782b21c0dfbebded555c3b41.jpg

2ae3deb4355aa9c2c2952a0a76f274e4.jpg

a00870c65c44ff3990f932751db6324c.jpg

Last edited:

Brochure leaked revealing specs

1430kg (3152 lb)
243 kW @ 6500 rpm (325 hp)
420 Nm @ 2600 - 4000 rpm (310 lb-ft)

EDIT:

US Spec confirmed to have "315 hp at 6,500 rpm and 310 lb-ft of torque from 2,600 to 4,000 rpm."

1ee3d0e4782b21c0dfbebded555c3b41.jpg

2ae3deb4355aa9c2c2952a0a76f274e4.jpg

a00870c65c44ff3990f932751db6324c.jpg
Who colored that blue one? It's photoshopped. I thought something looked off - the blue coloring is covering the black extractor vent behind the front wheel and all the fender bolts and whatnot.

Anyways, I'm really surprised how subdued the car looks. I actually wish the wing was body color to give it a little more visual weight like all the old Type Rs where the wing was a notable design feature.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with @Keef. This is a little too subtle. I think they should have stayed with some variation of the wrap around wing that is integrated into the design rather than a separate wing on stanchions - it kind of looks like a pep boys wing. :scared:

For me it occupies a kind of weird place that's not sleeper-subtle like the first 3 generations were but also not over the top manga like the 4th and 5th gen cars. I don't really feel a strong aesthetic ethos coming through. It's basically a Civic hatch with a tacked on wing. Maybe it has more presence in person. The seats are badass though.

I actually really like how subtle it is. I'm a big fan of cars with that stealth performance, "stealth wealth" as RCR said in their old Phaeton video.

But yes, I am still very disappointed by the wing design as I had said before.

I think it's strange to me that they chose that style of wing, because traditionally the Type R has had these "hoop" style (idk how else to call them) wings that are body colored.

FD2

View attachment 1175327

FK2

View attachment 1175328

FK8

View attachment 1175329

FL5

View attachment 1175332

Hopefully there'll be an aftermarket option to restore it to a more factory look lol

Who colored that blue one? It's photoshopped. I thought something looked off - the blue coloring is covering the black extractor vent behind the front wheel and all the fender bolts and whatnot.
And the license plate

Good catch

A bunch of people got a chance to get an early track impression of the Type R with a ride along with Perez

The Type R has an MSRP of $43,990

According to Matt Farah, the real first impressions are embargoed till November 15th

Last edited:
AWD could work, but I guess being FF haven't stopped Type-Rs in the past. Honda aren't even playing the "weight"-ing game any longer. So, light weight cars don't seem to be a priority for Honda.

7 grand more than a GR Corolla for...

15 more horsepower and two fewer drive wheels.
The Type R is dope except it can't be an effective year-round car in half the country. I suppose that's not its purpose but that relegates it to being owned by people who can afford two expensive cars rather than a single useful one. With the GR, I could do absolutely anything I wanted all year round, including drive to work in the snow.

I do love it and I'm sure it's a very good sporty thing but it's not a better car.

Last edited:
I would expect the Type R to have better handling and be better around the track. As someone here once said, Honda knows front wheel drive.

Front wheel drive is perfectly fine in the snow too. What I would be worried about is the hit on value from driving the car through salt. I expect the Type Rs to hold their value.

The Type R is dope except it can't be an effective year-round car in half the country. I suppose that's not its purpose but that relegates it to being owned by people who can afford two expensive cars rather than a single useful one. With the GR, I could do absolutely anything I wanted all year round, including drive to work in the snow.

I do love it and I'm sure it's a very good sporty thing but it's not a better car.
To be fair, that has never been the Type R ethos. At the same time, a FWD car is perfectly capable of winter duty as long as the roads are reasonably maintained. My little Mazda2 did fine over the course of 2 Michigan winters and it didn't even have snow tires.

@ProjectWHaT Yeah I think Matt is correct to be salty on this one, that was not a cool move by Honda. I suspect they managed to secure the F1 driver "promotion" after the original embargo was set and releasing the videos with Checo needed to happen at least somewhat soon after the USGP to properly tie it in.

When I was looking at CR-Vs at my local Honda dealer (which themselves were being marked up $3k) I casually asked the salesman what their price on the new CTR was going to be. He immediately answered "$70k".

When I was looking at CR-Vs at my local Honda dealer (which themselves were being marked up $3k) I casually asked the salesman what their price on the new CTR was going to be. He immediately answered "$70k".
Really makes you wonder how much of "inflation" is just greed.

So Honda was racing the NSX in GT500 for the longest time but the DTM rule era forced them to take a mid-engined car and make it front-engined.

Now this exists:

general-tokyo-auto-salon-2023--2.webp

Well, at least the engine is finally in the right spot.

But this highlights a glaring gap in Honda's lineup: An actual sports car. They haven't build an actual sports car since 2009 when the S2000 went tango uniform. The NSX doesn't count, it's been a true super car for quite a while, relatively unattainable even compared to cars like the GT-R. But Nissan also tossed the 350Z and 400Z into the mix. Toyota, what was once the most boring company on the planet, currently races two platforms in Super GT. Mazda can't afford to do anything factory-backed anymore and even then the Miata is so small it might not fit GT500 regs anyway. And then there's Honda, converting economy cars into race cars because they accidentally didn't build a sports car since 2009. And that one never actually raced in Super GT either, don't forget.

So Honda was racing the NSX in GT500 for the longest time but the DTM rule era forced them to take a mid-engined car and make it front-engined.

Now this exists:

general-tokyo-auto-salon-2023--2.webp

Well, at least the engine is finally in the right spot.

But this highlights a glaring gap in Honda's lineup: An actual sports car. They haven't build an actual sports car since 2009 when the S2000 went tango uniform. The NSX doesn't count, it's been a true super car for quite a while, relatively unattainable even compared to cars like the GT-R. But Nissan also tossed the 350Z and 400Z into the mix. Toyota, what was once the most boring company on the planet, currently races two platforms in Super GT. Mazda can't afford to do anything factory-backed anymore and even then the Miata is so small it might not fit GT500 regs anyway. And then there's Honda, converting economy cars into race cars because they accidentally didn't build a sports car since 2009. And that one never actually raced in Super GT either, don't forget.
The S2000 was honestly pretty anomalous. Honda doesn't have all that much history building pure sports cars if we classify the original NSX the same way you are classifying the new one. It's been only the S series cars and the Kei cars that we don't get it...unfortunately. The S660 seemed awesome.

I kinda like the Civic Type R being in the GT500 class. I see way more Type R's than the 370Z or Supra, so I can see where they're coming from. There's always GT3 for the NSX anyways.

Remember this though
1673588368054.jpeg

Wasn’t ever made for production.

Listen, Toyota and Subaru ran passenger car bodies in racing. If they have to use the Civic until they dream up another “fake” race car, I’m fine with that…even when many aren’t. ;)

US-spec Civic will receive hybrid powertrain from the upcoming Accord, likely to make 204hp:

I know this has about zero-percent probability of happening, but what about giving us a Civic Si-H?...basically that powertrain but with the Si's 6 speed manual gearbox. Honda still probably has horror flashbacks about the failure of the CR-Z, but I think that was a well engineered product marketed incorrectly - it shouldn't have been positioned as a CR-X successor.

Type R orders halted in Japan market due to demand outstripping supply
I hope Honda builds a proper amount of these cars. The only reason to limit their supply would be some kind of cynical marketing gimmick. They are pretty damn awesome...I just wish they started at $35k instead of the frankly absurd ~$45k. It's a great car, sure, and more than the sum of its parts. But the sum of it's part ain't a big premium over a Civic Si (its not as if the 2 liter is all that special, its a volume engine) to start with. They must be making huge margins on these Type Rs.

Last edited:
I know this has about zero-percent probability of happening, but what about giving us a Civic Si-H?...basically that powertrain but with the Si's 6 speed manual gearbox. Honda still probably has horror flashbacks about the failure of the CR-Z, but I think that was a well engineered product marketed incorrectly - it shouldn't have been positioned as a CR-X successor.

I hope Honda builds a proper amount of these cars. The only reason to limit their supply would be some kind of cynical marketing gimmick. They are pretty damn awesome...I just wish they started at $35k instead of the frankly absurd ~$45k. It's a great car, sure, and more than the sum of its parts. But the sum of it's part ain't a big premium over a Civic Si (its not as if the 2 liter is all that special, its a volume engine) to start with. They must be making huge margins on these Type Rs.
I almost feel like the absurd dealership markups would encourage Honda to produce more Type R’s. It’s clear that demand outpaces supply, and manufactures hate dealer greed for diminishing brand morale. Simply, more Type R’s would lower prices across the board.

Simply, more Type R’s would lower prices across the board.
Supply and demand concepts don't apply to monopolies and the dealership system is effectively a sort of distributed monopoly. They're all basically cooperating to gouge customers. We also live in a time of unprecedented greed which has been the primary driver of this "inflation" we've been suffering.

Back