Honda Civic - 10th/11th Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 641 comments
Yeah, I saw a ton of them in Paris, and it's quite a handsome little car (along with most of the modern Renault lineup actually — I'm a big fan of van den Acker's work). With Nissan over here and so much sharing between the two, I really don't know why it hasn't happened.

The first thing I found in regards to Renault is this article from 2015 which says they are bringing the Twizy and Kangoo to Quebec:

http://driving.ca/renault/auto-news/news/renault-returning-to-canada-this-september

But that's useless. I want the Megane and the Clio, man.

I miss my old EP3 SI and my wife misses her Megane RS265. I like the Type R, but the Megane was such a good experience during ownership(the EP3 was as well, but I was totally surprised with the Megane). Worth the money.

I'll check out the Type R at some point. Hope it has red Recaros.

Renault confirmed that hyper-Clio wouldn't be produced, sadly. IIRC, it was either due to the expected cost, or the focus on relaunching Alpine.

Yeah, I saw a ton of them in Paris, and it's quite a handsome little car (along with most of the modern Renault lineup actually — I'm a big fan of van den Acker's work). With Nissan over here and so much sharing between the two, I really don't know why it hasn't happened.
You'd think Nissan would take advantage of their co-op with Renault by giving us the Clio as, say a Nissan Note, but nope.

I'm leaning towards the Top Gear boys on this one. Why would you optimize a Honda Civic (Type R notwithstanding) for a very long, high speed, sweeping racetrack? I'd much rather a Civic Type R with less power, less aero, less weight, less cost, but more agility, revs, and lift-off oversteer. I'd rather have an FD2, EP3, or EK9.

fail wheel drive AMIRITE
Poor wheel drive, filthy peasants.

But yeah, honestly not that impressed when I heard how they did it last time, stripped interior, modded ECU with an extra 20+hp and modified exhaust.

It would like Chevrolet using their race car Corvette's laptimes as the Z06's.

Wasn't Alfa Romeo with the Guila the only recent car that got its Burg time stock?

Poor wheel drive, filthy peasants.

But yeah, honestly not that impressed when I heard how they did it last time, stripped interior, modded ECU with an extra 20+hp and modified exhaust.

It would like Chevrolet using their race car Corvette's laptimes as the Z06's.

Wasn't Alfa Romeo with the Guila the only recent car that got its Burg time stock?
This one was apparently done using "a full floating roll cage for safety reasons, which did not provide any additional rigidity to the body frame according to Honda, and to compensate for the added weight, the rear seats and Display Audio system were removed. Moreover, the Nurburgring record for front-wheel drive production cars was achieved using street legal, track-focused tires."

I'm leaning towards the Top Gear boys on this one. Why would you optimize a Honda Civic (Type R notwithstanding) for a very long, high speed, sweeping racetrack? I'd much rather a Civic Type R with less power, less aero, less weight, less cost, but more agility, revs, and lift-off oversteer. I'd rather have an FD2, EP3, or EK9.
Hey, I'd love to see a "new" EP3 as well. This new FK8 chassis though. It's raced in BTCC and I'm glad Honda have built it. True, something like a Fit/Jazz Type R atmo, could be amazing. Sad thing is, at this stage, I can't see sporty high revving NA engines, making a comeback in fun fwd cars.

While I generally agree with you, the current Civic R is mega on a circuit (not just in terms of performance, but also fun) and I expect this one will be quite a laugh too.

I've not driven an EK9, but I've driven the EP3, FN2 and FK2. The EP3 is fun but I do wonder whether people have built it up a little too high sometimes. It's a good car, but sits in an awkward no-mans land where it's a little too synthetic-feeling to be one of the classic hot hatch greats, and a little too soft (by modern standards) to have the intensity of some of the absolutely insane cars that have come since.

The FN2 is actually better than people say (it feels a bit like a more substantial EP3 with slightly nicer steering and a slightly more usable VTEC range). The FK2 actually has better steering than either (both a little quicker, and more feedback) and it's surprisingly willing to rev despite being turbocharged. It doesn't necessarily feel like a "Honda" engine, but it has loads of character.

All three have brilliant gearshifts though. That's something I suspect Honda will always get right. And the seats. Good seats in all of them.

I watched the Nurb lap twice. That driver has incredible talent. At no point were 1st or 2nd gears used. The slowest speed on track, in 3rd gear of course, is 72 kph (45 mph) seen at 2:04 in the video. If anyone sees a slower point, correct me.

Gears
1st - N/A
2nd - N/A
3th - 130 kph (81 mph)
4th - 178 kph (111 mph)
5th: 212 kph (132 mph)
6th: 265 kph (165 mph) There sounds like some room left. Top speed maybe 170's.

Last edited:
That's where that torque from the turbo comes in handy. I love a high revving fwd four, but experiencing that grunt, it(well I have) becomes addictive.

Last edited:
6th: 265 kph (165 mph) There sounds like some room left. Top speed maybe 170's.
Existing car is 167mph, I believe. The new one is, in theory, more aerodynamic, and has a little more power - so something in the 170s sounds almost certain. Which is completely insane, when you think about it. It's a five-door hatchback with a 2-litre engine that does 170mph...

Existing car is 167mph, I believe. The new one is, in theory, more aerodynamic, and has a little more power - so something in the 170s sounds almost certain. Which is completely insane, when you think about it. It's a five-door hatchback with a 2-litre engine that does 170mph...
*rubs hands in anticipation, for a team to make it a 2018 Bathurst 6HR entrant*

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/4B98513EB095DDDCCA25811D00235390
HONDA Australia says it is aiming for a circa-$50,000 starting price for its hi-po Civic Type R hot hatch when it blasts into showrooms from October this year.

The Japanese car-maker looks to be positioning the front-wheel-drive Type R as a rival for the all-paw Ford Focus RS that starts at $50,990 plus on-road costs and the AWD Volkswagen Golf R that is priced from $52,990, rather than their front-drive siblings, the $38,990 Focus ST and $41,490 Golf GTI.

Other likely rivals include the $49,990 Peugeot 308 GTi and Subaru’s WRX STI that is priced between $49,740 and $55,640.

First Type R is up for auction on Bring-a-Trailer. Proceeds will go to Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-honda-civic-type-r-for-charity/

DSC_7417-1-e1496792586190.jpg

DSC_7371-1.jpg

It should be available, I don't see why Honda wouldn't include the color option.

Wait, didn't the first year Acura Integra Type R come in championship white? or was this a different color?
P1012069-940x627.jpg

It should be available, I don't see why Honda wouldn't include the color option.

Wait, didn't the first year Acura Integra Type R come in championship white? or was this a different color?
P1012069-940x627.jpg
To my knowledge, C'hip white was never available on US-Spec Type Rs or sporting Honda/Acura(NSX, S2000, Si, SH, Type I/II, RSX Type-S, 1st-gen Integra LS Special Edition).

That's probably the Canadian(Canadienne?) Special Edition.

To my knowledge, C'hip white was never available on US-Spec Type Rs or sporting Honda/Acura(NSX, S2000, Si, SH, Type I/II, RSX Type-S, 1st-gen Integra LS Special Edition).

That's probably the Canadian(Canadienne?) Special Edition.
Um, I got that picture from this link. It says it's championship white and it was sold in New Jersey; I'm not sure a dealership would sell a Canada spec car in the US.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-acura-integra/

Back