Honda Fan Club - under new management

• Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
I had Honda Civic Type R ek9 for 1 year. Sold it few days ago due to insurance being over 6 grand and im only 17.

Will be going for either a Ej or ek4 next

I knew insurances were expensive over there but that's crazy man. For how much did you sell it? I'm still looking to get one, if I can find a good one in the UK I'm going to drive it back myself.

Figured since I've been on GTP over 10 years, and its been over a year since the last post in this thread... why not bump it up for fun?

How my car is looking, currently:
432334_10152006350310616_356723826_n.jpg

A Type R EK has always been one of my dream cars since I was a kid. My dad used to have a 1997 Civic SIR when I was young and I learned to drive in it on private land at 14, I always thought it was gonna be my first car but insurance was laughable (£4000 about 10 years ago) and my grandmother sold it off when my dad passed away, a few months after I turned 17.

For the best though, thing had about 168 bhp I would have killed myself in that thing when I was 17! Anyway having a Type R EK at 17 is insanity, I'm not surprised about the insurance costs. I've been looking at a few lately and it's crazy how they are (probably due to being rare) worth more than the much newer Type R models.

I'm currently driving a 2003 Focus ST170, cool car but it absolutely eats fuel and has seen better days (136000 miles, small dents in bodywork, some minor rust and lots of minor bodywork scratches I'm convinced my mother is responsable for when she drives it). Thinking about getting something new for next year, an Integra or Civic Type R would be amazing but they are so rare and expensive, it's just not really worth it these days.

Could get a Mitsubishi Evo for a lot less, decent insurance costs (paying less than £500 a year for the ST at the moment, an Evo won't be quite THAT decent) and better performance all round.

Last edited:
How wide are your tires? Those look like some MASSIVE fenders. Bazz, you've got it better in the UK than you realize. Stupid American laws don't even let us get Japan's good stuff. Type-Rs and older Evos... I wonder if Australia's an expensive place to live, there seem to be a lot of those types of cars over there.

One of the shots I posted in the 'pics of your real car' thread:

Horsetooth2_5-7-13.png

And a shot I took four years ago of my old Accord... before being lowered and rocking an H22 under the hood. Gawd, I miss this thing.

Horsetooth42810.jpg

And some Top Gear winning:

TopGearMercHondaTat.jpg

Type-Rs and older Evos... I wonder if Australia's an expensive place to live, there seem to be a lot of those types of cars over there.

Not that expensive to live here, but the newer-gen Type Rs get some resale value love; EP3 Civic Type-Rs cost about the same as used FN2s these days! DC5 Integra Type-Rs are usually between about AU$12-20k ($12-20k USD, £7.8k-13k in today's money) and DC2 ITRs are about the same (these are for good condition to showroom condition of course), and EK9s were never brought to Australia; only in very low-volume imports and that's after an owner had to have owned it for over a year in Japan first.

A lot of Autotrader browsing this morning and has to be said I could realistically get a 2005 I-VTEC Type R Civic, faster than my current car with better fuel economy and roughly the same insurance as what I pay now, loads of nice examples under/around £4000 which is really decent, never driven one though and not sure how I feel about the dashboard mounted gearstick, looks so wrong. I could get a Megane Trophy 225 in the same price range as that Type R, the Megane is a little faster and better on fuel, though If I look hard enough I could probably pickup a Lancer Evo for similar money too, very much doubt I'd actually buy an Evo though when it comes down to it.

Would love an EK Type R 97/98 but then you're looking in the £6000-7000 range, and a DC5 Integra for £5500 upwards (which is more reasonable than I thought it would be). I just think the prices get too unreasonable with these cars, people will pay the money because they are rare and desired but for the money it's hard to justify.

Last edited:
Figured since I've been on GTP over 10 years, and its been over a year since the last post in this thread... why not bump it up for fun?

How my car is looking, currently:
432334_10152006350310616_356723826_n.jpg

Looking good still, and those tires are wide man, but I'm missing those RC Starks you were rockin'.

Yeah, I added 3.5" of metal to the quarter panels just to clear them. They're 17x9.5 +39 Work RSZ-R's with 15mm front spacers and 27mm rear spacers, just to clear structural components.

Oh, and the tires are 275/40/17 Victoracer V700's. They worked great, even on a damp/wet/cold track. :)

Sorry about the R/C Starks. I finally sold them a couple weeks ago, to help fund the EM2 for upcoming projects. :(

Yeah, I added 3.5" of metal to the quarter panels just to clear them. They're 17x9.5 +39 Work RSZ-R's with 15mm front spacers and 27mm rear spacers, just to clear structural components.

Oh, and the tires are 275/40/17 Victoracer V700's. They worked great, even on a damp/wet/cold track. :)

Sorry about the R/C Starks. I finally sold them a couple weeks ago, to help fund the EM2 for upcoming projects. :(

Good lord! You're sporting wider rubber than my G35 :lol:

Any videos of you on the track online? Wouldn't mind seeing it if it exists...

...and I just died a little on the inside when I read about the RC Starks. Such a shame.

Good lord! You're sporting wider rubber than my G35 :lol:

Any videos of you on the track online? Wouldn't mind seeing it if it exists...

...and I just died a little on the inside when I read about the RC Starks. Such a shame.

R/C's had to go, when I started getting visions of more rubber on the car. ;)

I've now got 3 sets of 17x9.5's now. ;)

And for videos, yep... got those too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-eoZRDzqyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzkdq2vjYs4

(And, yes, that's me getting waved on by a 993 Turbo. Such a glorious feeling... that I may have overcooked turn 5 a bit later on and spun the car.)

Oh man that sounds awesome! Sorry about the spin, but at least you walked away with the car in one piece and that's what matters.

What track is that? The closest thing to that is about 8 hours away from me and isn't even that great.

The spin was totally my own fault, and nothing I couldn't handle. I've had close encounters before, but that's all part of the rush. ;)

The track is Road America (in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin). Its an awesome track for both drivers and spectators. Some sick shots were taken of my car during the day.

Back