Honda Fan Club - under new management

  • Thread starter Thread starter THE ED3
  • 4,581 comments
  • 229,073 views
HA! :lol:

Hey Matt, have you ever sported the ones in the bottom left hand corner of that picture? Whatever they are, my vote goes to them for the next ones to be put on your Civic. 👍
The wheel at the bottom left was the ones he had on his car before. That's why there's a tire on it.
 
Nevermind, my dial up just sucks and didn't download the pictures for me. :lol:
 
You need to post pics of the new car toyomatt.

Why is that? Because it's from the same generation as your current sedan? The car is 100% stock. Nothing to really see, at all. And, curious now, how did you know I had another car? Stalking me on Honda-Tech? :sly:
 
I suppose I don't have too huge a problem, sharing my daily beastie. :) So, in light of my good pal' Time_Attack, enjoy...

The time finally came when I wanted a daily driver, to continue my work on the EM2, without inherent problems with my schedule. =)

So, here she is!

1990 Honda Civic - dubbed "Goldie"
144k miles, all original bits in working order
=)

DSC_0001.jpg


DSC_0002.jpg


DSC_0003.jpg


DSC_0004.jpg


DSC_0005.jpg


DSC_0006.jpg


DSC_0007.jpg


dsc0008nm1.jpg


dsc0009kw0.jpg


DSC_0010.jpg


DSC_0011.jpg


DSC_0012.jpg


DSC_0013.jpg


DSC_0014.jpg

Yes, that's me being lazy, taking them directly from a post on H-T. ;)
 
Why is that? Because it's from the same generation as your current sedan? The car is 100% stock. Nothing to really see, at all. And, curious now, how did you know I had another car? Stalking me on Honda-Tech? :sly:

Maybe :sly:
 
Has the thought yet crossed your mind how much fun that little EF would be with the K24 in it...
 
Has the thought yet crossed your mind how much fun that little EF would be with the K24 in it...

Yeah, but that won't happen. The most the daily beastie will get, will be a B16 with a 5speed, simply because it'd give me more fuel mileage and, in the long run, actually pay itself off. That, and I can get an entire B16 swap from an SiR for about $1500 shipped.
 
Nice buy Matt, you'll have lots of fun :).

Yeah, it's a fun car for now, but I plan on a seat swap soon, so I get a little more leg and head room. A new steering wheel will also give my knees better clearance.


Will it be getting any suspension?

It all depends on if I want to go the full distance with this car, or not. So, to be honest, I don't know.
 
Bah! I know mine only had about 6,000 miles on it but the thing worked perfectly. It was driven really hard, too.

How many miles do these failing clutches have, Matt? I can see how they wouldn't be as reliable as the stock clutch at high mileage since they obviously weren't engineered as well as Honda did. But I never noticed any immediate problems. If any do happen it'll probably be a few years down the road.
 
I've heard a lot of complaints over the Exedy Stage 1's. A lot of puck chunking and overall clutch failure. :(
It's just an OEM replacement clutch, not a stage 1, (unless stage 1 is the oem replacement) but either way my car has less than 100hp at the wheels. I don't think I can do much to this clutch in terms of abuse.
 
Guy's, there's a 2002 Celica GT-S for sale at a dealership 3 miles from my house. I've dealt with them before and I'm sure I could chop $500 of the $8,000 asking price. To begin with it's already $800 cheaper than a Integra GSR I found in Cincy.

But then I started asking questions. I already know the Integra pretty well, and I know what to expect of it in the future, especially since it only has 75,000 miles. The Toyota enthusiast community around here is entirely non-existent, and I have no clue where to go to find it. I've got a nice hookup with the Honda dealer my buddy is a technician at and that means I get discounts on my maintenance parts and psuedo-privileges to the garage. I also remembered the video I saw of a 10 year old ITR beating a brand new VW R32 around a track. When's the last time you saw a Celica do that?

I'd gladly pay a premium over a GT-S for a GSR.
 
Bah! I know mine only had about 6,000 miles on it but the thing worked perfectly. It was driven really hard, too.

How many miles do these failing clutches have, Matt? I can see how they wouldn't be as reliable as the stock clutch at high mileage since they obviously weren't engineered as well as Honda did. But I never noticed any immediate problems. If any do happen it'll probably be a few years down the road.

The stories I've read/heard all say within the first 15k miles. Which, for any lower-stage clutch, is simply pathetic.
 
Yeah that's crap. I might do some research on that in case I have to put a new clutch on another Honda in the future.

Anyway, questions. The GSR I'm looking at in Cincy has 75,000 miles and the owner is asking $8,800. It's a 2000 and obviously has the B18C1, but what's the deal with the downward-curving intake manifold? I've seen those in a few pictures but I don't know why they have those. Do the usual upward-curving manifolds fit those heads?

EDIT: Argh, I just read an email from the GSR's seller and he said he sold it last Saturday. Damn! Well now it looks like the Celica is on top of my list :nervous:. I still have a few months to wait until my dad gets mobile again, unless I stumble on an amazing offer in the mean time.
 
The stories I've read/heard all say within the first 15k miles. Which, for any lower-stage clutch, is simply pathetic.
Well, I guess I'll find out. It was 80 bucks anyways.

EDIT: If exedy sucks, and they've been around since the 1920's, how hard is it to make a clutch?

This is probably the best thing I can get without spending over hundred dollars.

EDIT #2: A couple searches in google come up with no posts or reports of exedy stage 1 clutch failure. I don't know were you're getting this info from Matt.

What would you have suggested?
 
Well, I guess I'll find out. It was 80 bucks anyways.

EDIT: If exedy sucks, and they've been around since the 1920's, how hard is it to make a clutch?

This is probably the best thing I can get without spending over hundred dollars.

EDIT #2: A couple searches in google come up with no posts or reports of exedy stage 1 clutch failure. I don't know were you're getting this info from Matt.

What would you have suggested?

There was a long-standing thread about them on K20A.org, is why I mentioned it. And, it's not easy to make a clutch... not at all.

I personally would have went with a clutchmaster product.
 
There was a long-standing thread about them on K20A.org, is why I mentioned it. And, it's not easy to make a clutch... not at all.

I personally would have went with a clutchmaster product.
Maybe they just messed up on the k20 clutch? I truly couildn't find anything about them failing exept one post where some guy with an s14 was having tranny noise and was wondering if it could be the clutch.
 
Maybe they just messed up on the k20 clutch? I truly couildn't find anything about them failing exept one post where some guy with an s14 was having tranny noise and was wondering if it could be the clutch.

It's no big deal to me, as you're the one who owns it now. :)


If anyone cares, I'll be tearing down my K24 for it's rather extensive upgrade list, this week... if I don't have a fever still. :(
 
Ah, so that's why you wanted another car so bad. Also, did you convert your K24 to use a throttle cable or was it already mechanical? I know K20s have had electronic throttles for a while now, if not their whole life.
 
Ah, so that's why you wanted another car so bad. Also, did you convert your K24 to use a throttle cable or was it already mechanical? I know K20s have had electronic throttles for a while now, if not their whole life.
Not "converted" but I think he replaced the TB with a cable one.
 
Well there'd be more to it than that. You'd probably have to go with an aftermarket ECU to support the change. An electronic throttle is just another emissions safeguard, really.
 
Ah, so that's why you wanted another car so bad. Also, did you convert your K24 to use a throttle cable or was it already mechanical? I know K20s have had electronic throttles for a while now, if not their whole life.

The only K20's with DBW (Drive By Wire) are from 2006+, but every TSX came with it. So, yes, I had to do something about it. Luckily the Accord runs the same intake manifold, and a Cable-driven Throttle body. ;) So, I've got a 2004 Accord throttle body.
 
Back