Honda NSX

• Thread starter TMM
  • 22 comments

TMM

England
Nottingham, England
I have recently won this car and raced it in GT World Cup and now the Internationals. What do people think to the car? Does anybody know what version can get the highest HP and can you fit a turbo to the car, legally HYBRIDDRV...

The mid-engined cars are by far the toughest to master in this game. In the original, the NSX was so twitchy and light, it was all I had just to keep the tires on the track... keeping them pointed consistently was too much trouble. But hey, this is all part of the package: You'll never truly have 100% control over a fully-tuned NSX, it's supposed to be exciting..like an unruly horse. Before it's tuned, the NSX handles extremely well, though.

Last edited:
maybe they kinda overdid it with the NSX in GT1, i have had the honour of sitting in one ( passenger seat ;) ) when it was going round a track and this guy was pushing it and it was sharp as a razor and fast as a bullet...so to speak, ahem. and what i found was that the handeling model in GT3 was somewhat the same though not a 100%. and even though i didnt drive it i did get a feel as to its cornering abilities and such...

a great sportscar...it belongs do a dying breed of japenese performance sports cars....alas...

Parnelli Bone
The mid-engined cars are by far the toughest to master in this game. In the original, the NSX was so twitchy and light, it was all I had just to keep the tires on the track... keeping them pointed consistantly was too much trouble. But hey, this is all part of the package: You'll never truely have 100% control over a fully-tuned NSX, it's supposed to be exciting..like an unruly horse. Before it's tuned, the NSX handles extremely well, though.

I agree that they are fun and like an unruly horse but I wouldn't say they were that bad. I have only driven the LM GT2 version but there are worse cars for sliding off the track, especially under heavy braking. They are good for drifting round corners, well race drifiting anyway, better then the MR2's that's probably due to the power.

GT
a great sportscar...it belongs do a dying breed of japenese performance sports cars....alas...

Why dying breed of Japanese performance sports cars, what's happening to them?

haven't you noticed? rx-7...gone, skyline...gone, supra....gone...new nsx...not that good....rx-8, nice car but no Rx-7...

plus it seems to me that the character of the great Japanese cars are gone, we're getting more and more of the same...

this is just my opinion, i'm just saying that the real performance machines are kinda disappearing, it's just too bad. nissan Z cant replace a skyline....3000GT...gone..

i could go on :)

GT
haven't you noticed? rx-7...gone, skyline...gone, supra....gone...new nsx...not that good....rx-8, nice car but no Rx-7...

plus it seems to me that the character of the great Japanese cars are gone, we're getting more and more of the same...

this is just my opinion, i'm just saying that the real performance machines are kinda disappearing, it's just too bad. nissan Z cant replace a skyline....3000GT...gone..

I didn't realise that, but yes you're right, a lot of the car manufacturers are coming up with the same sort of car. Probably EU regulations or something.

GT

I don't know about the rest of the world but in America the SUV/Truck explosion has been a huge factor. It's really bad: on the way to work, you'll see all these dopes driving huge Ford Expeditons and Land Rovers by themselves, oblivious to the fact that in about 40 years all the fuel's gonna be gone. They don't car pool with other people so they mostly sit in traffic while the car pool lane is just about free for me to blast by them! Only young people tend to buy coupes nowadays. Mid-life Crisis dudes can be counted on the purchase Corvettes and 300ZXs, too.

TMM: you're right, the NSX is a lot better than the MR2, I'm not doubting you there! I remember I was doing a qualifying run in the GT race series (not the World Cup) in an MR2 that had Stage 3 weight reduction. I was at Trail Mountain and I actually lost control and spun out RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BACK STRAIGHT! I wasn't even cornering, the dang car couldn't handle bumps very well!

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I don't know about the rest of the world but in America the SUV/Truck explosion has been a huge factor. It's really bad: on the way to work, you'll see all these dopes driving huge Ford Expeditons and Land Rovers by themselves, oblivious to the fact that in about 40 years all the fuel's gonna be gone. They don't car pool with other people so they mostly sit in traffic while the car pool lane is just about free for me to blast by them! Only young people tend to buy coupes nowadays. Mid-life Crisis dudes can be counted on the purchase Corvettes and 300ZX's, too.

It hasn't happened quite the same here but there are too many SUV's/MPV's being driven around the country. If you get stuck behind a slow one, is there any other kind, then you can't see round them or through them, you have to just take life into your own hands and go for it. Damm dangerous and they should be banned.

Parnelli Bone
TMM: you're right, the NSX is alot better than the MR2, i'm not doubting you there! I remember i was doing a qualifying run in the GT race series (not the World Cup) in an MR2 taht had Stage 3 weight reduction. I was at Trail Mountain and i actually lost control and spun out RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BACK STRAIGHT! I wasn't even cornering, the dang car couldn't handle bumps very well!

Hey don't gte me wrong, the MR2 is a great car. I remember in an earlier game racing an MR2 round GVS in the Sunday Cup. I was out front as you might expect when I entered a corner to fast, I think the 90 degree corner before the first tunnel, and spin city... Ended up being in last place with only half of the last lap to get to the front. Well I crossed the line in first place and I think the other cars were still coming round the last corner. That was a buzz.

I have learnt how to master the NSX, well it works for the NSX-R LM GT2 model. The trick is to accelerate through the corners, the car is much more stable in this maner. This does require braking hard before the corner to achieve a speed that you can then accelerate from whilst driving round the corner but it does also wear your tires thin although not as much as you might expect.

Don't brake into the corner as this makes the car very unstable, I did get away with it a couple of times racing GV300 and I did have to pit 4 times but I won the race by a clear margin and lapped upto 3rd.

This was racing against a Supra, a GTO TT and a GT-R, which on paper means I should have finished 4th.

GT

I agree 100% with you.
Japanese automotive industry is like the brewing industry: beers are now make bland , less malty , less hoppy and without any character in order to please the most common denominator ( Joe sixpack )

Damn the SUVs :)

TMM
I have learnt how to master the NSX, well it works for the NSX-R LM GT2 model. The trick is to accelerate through the corners, the car is much more stable in this maner. This does require braking hard before the corner to achieve a speed that you can then accelerate from whilst driving round the corner but it does also wear your tires thin although not as much as you might expect.

Don't brake into the corner as this makes the car very unstable, I did get away with it a couple of times racing GV300 and I did have to pit 4 times but I won the race by a clear margin and lapped upto 3rd.

This was racing against a Supra, a GTO TT and a GT-R, which on paper means I should have finished 4th.
Do you think you could sometime let a GV300 or two sit after you finish until all the AI cars come home, and then write down all their times?

I'm beginning to think perhaps the AI are a little faster in that race in the PAL version.

I have lots of samples from the North American game at
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-18.html#Grand_Valley_300_Results
etc.

It seems that each different AI car runs its own particular fairly consistent time in that race.

TMM

I don't think you can ever truly master an NSX...rather, it masters YOU! Early braking does help, tho.

Last edited:
SportWagon
Do you think you could sometime let a GV300 or two sit after you finish until all the AI cars come home, and then write down all their times?

I'm beginning to think perhaps the AI are a little faster in that race in the PAL version.

I have lots of samples from the North American game at
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-18.html#Grand_Valley_300_Results
etc.

It seems that each different AI car runs its own particular fairly consistent time in that race.

Certainly can. I have 3 more GV300 races to do before I complete GT but they are slower cars and so I probably won't win, will that make a difference to the stats? Shall I post them here or PM you?

Actually, it would be interesting to me to see whether losing instead of winning appears to make any difference to the AI times. I did lose (come not first) a few times, and it didn't appear to me that it slowed the cars down. In contrast, it was clear in GT2 that there was some sort of significant rubber-banding in the enduroes.

Maybe start a new thread and post them.

"GV300 finishing time analysis" or something.

I realized I have a summary GT1 Enduro log here...
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt1enduro.txt

SportWagon
Actually, it would be interesting to me to see whether losing instead of winning appears to make any difference to the AI times. I did lose (come not first) a few times, and it didn't appear to me that it slowed the cars down. In contrast, it was clear in GT2 that there was some sort of significant rubber-banding in the enduroes.

Maybe start a new thread and post them.

"GV300 finishing time analysis" or something.

I realized I have a summary GT1 Enduro log here...
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt1enduro.txt

OK, I hope to do a race this evening but it will be the NSX LM GT2 racing All Night, I might be able to fit another race in this weekend from which I will log the times for you.

Edit
----
Raced All Night I and got some stats for you. Didn't get a chnace to race GV300 but hopefully tonight I will.

1 NSX LM GT2 55:49:670
2 GT-R LM +109'876"
3 Imprezza Rally Edition +152'726"
4 Lancer Evo IV GSR +219'287"
5 Accord SD SiR +309'559"
6 Celica GT-Four +343'964"

hmm... was kinda doubting you about the NSX being an unruly stallion, until of course I tuned my own NSX.

It's either you learn to live with the drift or you brake early and accelerate thru the corners. Passive cornering is a no-no :(

The NSX handles better in later GT games. agree? disagree?

I don't know what happens in GT3 and 4, but in GT2 the intro of the limited-slip differentials make a world of difference in the taming of the NSX. For high-powered mid engine cars I like experimenting with the active stability control device, too.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I don't know what happens in GT3 and 4, but in gT2 the intro of the limited-slip differentials make a world of difference in the taming of the NSX. For high-powered mid engine cars i like experimenting with the active stability control device, too.

In GT1 the LSD & SCD were automatic so either they got it wrong or maybe they removed it to create a better driving expereince. So I believe anyway.

TMM
In GT1 the LSD & SCD were automatic so either they got it wrong or maybe they removed it to create a better driving expereince. So I believe anyway.

I see. Well I like setting up my own differentials. It just adds to the realism.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I see. Well i like setting up my own differentials. It jsut adds to the realism.

I agree but I guess PD just thought it was too much for an unsuspecting public when GT1 cameout so they automated it.

I think the NSX's in GT1 also tended to suffer from bouncing unless you managed to balance the suspension nicely. That is, more so than most cars, and with more disastrous results.

SportWagon
I think the NSX's in GT1 also tended to suffer from bouncing unless you managed to balance the suspension nicely. That is, more so than most cars, and with more disastrous results.

Can't say I noticed any with the LM GT2 but it may well be an exception to the rule. Or Icould have the perfect setup.... Naaaayyy, it'll be the exception.

Back