Honest Opinions

United States
United States
I'm seeing a lot of people torn on this game. I have a copy, got it day one, haven't had a chance to even open and install it yet. I was hoping for a return to form on the career mode. I gave up after 4 because they were all too basic. I get the feeling this is a more polished version of the basic. I miss having a true career mode. Ive been playing Forza, but their career mode has been basic too. In less than 10 hours you can be racing hypercars. Thats just boring.

So, my question. Honest opinions of the career mode, what do you think?

Based on your brief description of what you want from it I think you will be underwhelmed. That could be fixed in future updates though. The bones are there for a fantastic game, but it all comes down to what PD do with updates. If you like grinding for credits and are happy to go nuts making your own custom races with no regard to the credit payouts then you will be as happy as a pig in ****.

There is no career. There is a campaign you access through the Cafe which lets you do "chase the rabbit" style events to win cars, but in terms of an actual racing career, there isn't any.

There is no avatar pretending to be a rookie driver but there are progressively harder races after the menu books are done that require greater skill and better cars. I don't need life lessons from Vin Diesel just great racing.

There is no avatar pretending to be a rookie driver but there are progressively harder races after the menu books are done that require greater skill and better cars. I don't need life lessons from Vin Diesel just great racing.
Ok great... I'm just saying. Literally every other racing game has some sort of career where you progress through different racing cups and seasons. This doesn't. But yeah, it has stand-alone racing cups and you can do custom races for sure. In that sense I guess you can make your own career. It's not quite the same though.

Honestly after 23 Menu items completed it's stupidly repetitive, there is no career as far as I'm concerned.
Missions are a cool concept but not really enough to distract from the actual lack of content.

The roulette system is a sham every single ticket I have opened has teased engine swaps but given me the minimum coin rewards 5k off a 4star ticket get the **** out of here.
Speaking of engine swaps they really butchered the one thing most people were actually looking forwards too.

NOt being able to sell cars is a real pain in the a** especially if you drop 200k on a car another 200k on upgrades and then have your setting sheet bug out and make it unable to use the parts you bought rendering you with a useless car especially if you were building said car for a certain race/championship(they fixed this in the update)

The Music Rally is a joke take it out.

The used car dealerships seems to only offer cars you get from the cafe menu items.

The tuning system is trash. You can't even edit a gear in the transmission without it resetting/messing with every other gear.
The physics are broken especially for RWD cars, racing in rain is unbearable.

The multiplayer lobbies are missing options to change settings, switch tracks, kick idiots. There is no host migration so as soon as the host leaves it just boots everyone and you spend a hour looking for another lobby hoping it doesn't just end as soon as you get in.

The only enjoyable thing thing about this title is the ability to create custom liveries/designs and the sounds Anti-Lag makes with a subwoofer.

They would've been better off copying Gran Turismo 5 entirely and adding new cars/physics remember like how they did for GT6...

Hopefully future updates will add content and not become DLC.

Graphics 8/10
Gameplay 3/10
Not Impressed.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of people torn on this game. I have a copy, got it day one, haven't had a chance to even open and install it yet. I was hoping for a return to form on the career mode. I gave up after 4 because they were all too basic. I get the feeling this is a more polished version of the basic. I miss having a true career mode. Ive been playing Forza, but their career mode has been basic too. In less than 10 hours you can be racing hypercars. Thats just boring.

If you're primarily an offline player that enjoyed the career modes of the older games, well, I'd probably sell/return the unopened copy and wait until they at least finish the career mode, then re-evaluate at that time. As it stands we don't have IB/IA/S races or championships, so it's hard to even have much of an opinion on the career mode at this point since a good portion of it isn't even available. What we have is pretty good, but it's a totally different style than the GT4 career progression.

Honestly after 23 Menu items completed it's stupidly repetitive, there is no career as far as I'm concerned.
Missions are a cool concept but not really enough to distract from the actual lack of content.

The roulette system is a sham every single ticket I have opened has teased engine swaps but given me the minimum coin rewards 5k off a 4star ticket get the **** out of here.
Speaking of engine swaps they really butchered the one thing most people were actually looking forwards too.

NOt being able to sell cars is a real pain in the a** especially if you drop 200k on a car another 200k on upgrades and then have your setting sheet bug out and make it unable to use the parts you bought rendering you with a useless car especially if you were building said car for a certain race/championship(they fixed this in the update)

The Music Rally is a joke take it out.

The used car dealerships seems to only offer cars you get from the cafe menu items.

The tuning system is trash. You can't even edit a gear in the transmission without it resetting/messing with every other gear.
The physics are broken especially for RWD cars, racing in rain is unbearable.

The multiplayer lobbies are missing options to change settings, switch tracks, kick idiots. There is no host migration so as soon as the host leaves it just boots everyone and you spend a hour looking for another lobby hoping it doesn't just end as soon as you get in.

The only enjoyable thing thing about this title is the ability to create custom liveries/designs

They would've been better off copying Gran Turismo 5 entirely and adding new cars/physics remember like how they did for GT6...

Hopefully future updates will add content and not become DLC.

3/10
Not Impressed.

Perfect summary. I plowed through the cafe and three licenses in three to four days, and then i realised thats that and how freaking broken the and lacking the game really is. Im all for online play and the gts platform made this well and accesible, in gt7 they just broke it. The physics are horrible on fr roadcars if u use a wheel. And yeah, no career to speak of.

Never realised it until now that i cant sell any of my cars. Just wow. And a freaking rigged lottery on top.of that. Lets hope its all part of an utterly advanced april fools joke... Really thin game. BuY mIcRoTraNsaCtIons!

Perfect summary. I plowed through the cafe and three licenses in three to four days, and then i realised thats that and how freaking broken the and lacking the game really is. Im all for online play and the gts platform made this well and accesible, in gt7 they just broke it. The physics are horrible on fr roadcars if u use a wheel. And yeah, no career to speak of.

Never realised it until now that i cant sell any of my cars. Just wow. And a freaking rigged lottery on top.of that. Lets hope its all part of an utterly advanced april fools joke... Really thin game. BuY mIcRoTraNsaCtIons!
Basically it's a big **** You to all the diehard GT fans.

Take off the Nostalgia Glasses and it's really quite sad.

(And to think I was going to replace my G29 for a new Thrustmaster for this game)
-A message from a GT2/3/4/5/6 fan.

Last edited:
Basically it's a big **** You to all the diehard GT fans.

Take off the Nostalgia Glasses and it's really quite sad.

(And to think I was going to replace my G29 for a new Thrustmaster for this game)
-A message from a GT2/3/4/5/6 fan.

I was about to get a ps5 and new tv for this game only. I guess that money will go towards a new gfx card and DD wheelbase, maybe 8020 rig.

If youve gotten hooked on driving with a wheel the PC is your friend. Rbr is a free game which is amazing to drive.

I know you aren't a pad fan, but did you give the FR's a try with it. You need to be really precise with the brakes, but they are quite fun when you come to grips with it. You might be then able to transfer the braking inputs required to wheel and pedal use.

I know you aren't a pad fan, but did you give the FR's a try with it. You need to be really precise with the brakes, but they are quite fun when you come to grips with it. You might be then able to transfer the braking inputs required to wheel and pedal use.

Im not against gamepads, im just a firm believer they dont have anything to do with conveying a driving experience.

The braking is fine, actually the throttle control is fine too, nice and linear for once, i have no issues staying inside the limits. The problem is when you go over and how gt7 simulate that. Theres a physics thread, look it up :)

Can't say the career mode is innovative, so get ready for the usual suspects (licenses, missions, etc.)...but the physics is very good on a wheel, especially in the rain. While the content may eventually grow to satisfy the offline & online crowds, I'm currently enjoying my 71HP Mini at Goodwood on SH (the Clubman)

Don't let others convince you one way or another, give it a try and see for yourself...btw, if you make it to Gr4 races, I think that is where GT7's physics really shines atm...but that's just my opinion.

And again a new topic about the dissatisfaction of players who, in my opinion, have no real qualifications and being able to give fair and meaningful feedback.
There is only childish whining, nagging, complaining and blaming.

Sorry but that's pathetic in my opinion.
I'm definitely not a "fanboy" but a middle-aged adult man. I take a few hours every day to play this game as best I can, before that I was active in GTS for a few weeks.

I am very enthusiastic about what this game enables me to do, demands from me and how I can play it.

I drove ALL licenses on gold for the first few days, deactivated the driving aids if possible and tried to achieve the best possible results for most points compared to my friends. For me, that alone is also part of the game's career and that can take quite a while, especially if you have friends who aren't slow either.
If you only settle for the bare essentials here, or even don't get the licenses, in my opinion you have no right whatsoever to complain about the game being too weak or something similar.

Then continue with the café missions. If I read that someone is at Mission 22-23, this is all too easy and boring, I can only say... notice something!
First you should maybe increase the difficulty to the maximum, then even turn off the driving aids and then not only achieve the minimum requirement of 3rd place but gold in the respective races. And most importantly... first play through all the missions with the settings I mentioned and then judge. Yes, there could be more missions, but maybe PD made it that way, since there are also many players who don't have the time or the inclination to do long-distance races.. that can be the case.
As I said before, I played GTS, before that I didn't play a Gran Turismo for a few years, but before that I played all titles since part 1 was released.
This game combines so much "old" with new and has improved a lot and especially made it "harder" because the physics have been revised. Driving RWD vehicles has become more difficult, generally you have to be much more careful and precise when driving. Some have not yet understood this, or simply cannot.

With the licenses alone, you can see very well how really good drivers can master these cars in the game, so that it is often possible to drive very good times without any driving aids. Conversely, this doesn't mean that the game or the physics are broken, but those who don't make it simply don't drive clean enough.

Maybe some should learn to judge their own "abilities" fairly, instead of always immediately blaming everyone else.

Then to the cars and that you can't sell them.

MIMIMI.... in GTS you get at least one car thrown after you every damn day, so that in a short time you even have some doubles, in the long run almost all cars double and triple.... and none of them can be sold. Also all the cars that were there for licenses and missions could not be sold because they were a "gift". Now why should I complain about it? Now you get even less car pelts than you used to and you know what? I think that's a good thing, because it feels more like I have to "work for it" and it's not as boring as e.g. Forza Horizon 5.

Then there are the track missions, which all want to be "gilded" and if you have friends, you can also compete against your friends here and try to achieve the best time.. if that's not enough for you.. just try the time of the Top 10 drivers to crack.. have fun!

Oh well, then there is actually at least one additional competition on every route, which would also like to be brought to gold on the highest difficulty.

So there is plenty to do and as far as I can tell, the campaign, including the licenses and route missions, lasts longer than e.g. with GTS, precisely because driving is no longer so easy and requires a certain "sensitivity".

If all this is not enough for you or, as it seems to me, simply overwhelmed...... then please DELETE the game and you're done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not against gamepads, im just a firm believer they dont have anything to do with conveying a driving experience.

The braking is fine, actually the throttle control is fine too, nice and linear for once, i have no issues staying inside the limits. The problem is when you go over and how gt7 simulate that. Theres a physics thread, look it up :)
I know, I've read it, I misunderstood your issue with the FR's one of them is how twitchy they are under brakes in comparison to sport. The issue at the edge of traction is there no matter what controller you use. Hopefully they patch it to be more intuitive.

If driving hypercars isn't your thing, I actually think you will love GT7's career mode. It can probably be beat with an R32 Skyline outside of a couple manufacturer/country specific races. If building up road cars is your thing, this is probably the best career mode in GT's history. The complaints about career mode actually come from a lack of high end race car events.

The way PD have designed this game progression, in my eyes, it’s rushed. Players like myself, with the time, have completed the basic car collection theme of the events. Not to say I’ve completed ALL the events, but the essential ones to reach the current 39th Menu Book.

It’s going depend how you pay the game, regardless of how much time you have. I fee, this is the perfect solo player experience. The options for custom race, the diversity of the races from econoboxes to GT3. Many cars are tuned road cars. The vibe brings the essence of Best Motoring & Hot Version videos to races players can be part of.

The structure of having to go to a specific location to access tht track’s Time Trial, Arcade, events races, Custom Race, takes some getting used to. Might seem unorthodox, but I like it. It’s a one stop shop for that track.
World Championships award points like older GT games. Again, how players play, will determine what each player gets out of it. The game has only been out for a week. This game might be around for four years. If I were to start o e or use one of my alt accounts, I’d go a bit slower and take everything in.

So far, it’s been a mad dash to try and get certain cars, before they’ve gone for who knows how long.

My biggest criticism of GT7 is the grind (and the FR physics, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that it's a bug...).

I don't expect to be able to go out and buy a Ferrari FXXK after 20 minutes in the game, but having to run a dirt race repeatedly for 100k a pop is not what GT should be about. Custom races have been nerfed on the payouts to stop people AFK grinding and all the othe championships don't have enough challenge or reward to entice you in.

All that aside, I enjoyed the menus, I enjoy the physics and the graphics are great. I've already spent numerous hours in the game and would still recommend it. I just don't like the grindey nature of modern games

If driving hypercars isn't your thing, I actually think you will love GT7's career mode. It can probably be beat with an R32 Skyline outside of a couple manufacturer/country specific races. If building up road cars is your thing, this is probably the best career mode in GT's history. The complaints about career mode actually come from a lack of high end race car events.
It's lack of events in general. Fixing the custom race option in regards to credit payouts would help fix it if they want to be lazy, or just add more and varied championships.

Let’s just say PD have left LOADS on the table for future updates. There’s a lot they could have done in terms of race content, which seems strangely absent. I’m thinking (hoping) that this is deliberate, as a way of keeping the game fresh with new content as time goes on, and they know not to play their cards early. Fingers crossed.

I have owned most if not all of previous GT offerings but time has dulled the memory of most of them. That being the case, my comments compare GT7 to GTS, which I still enjoy.

What is so wrong with GTS racing model that they decided not to use it in GT7?

Why is there so little performance reporting in Sport mode?

Why is the livery creator/editor more intuitive and have features amounting to less than GTS? I still have no idea how to sort decals into favourite folders.

Why do the servers appear to respond more slowly than GTS?

Why are there so many repetitive button clicks to complete the simplest of tasks?

Could not the many loading black screens at least show some images?

Why aren’t all vehicle rewards random? Everyone has the same damned cars. It’s a collection experience for sheep.

Performance parts are largely useless. Simply buy the best of each and ignore the rest.

TBH my list seems endless but I have no way to provide any official feedback to the publishers. Why?

A) PD ran out of time and couldn't deliver on the single player experience they promised even after all the delays.

B) PD purposefully gutted GT7 on launch to then generously release the cut content piece meal over future updates for their $70 AAA game.

C) This is 100% PD's vision of what a complete single player experience should be in Gran Turismo and is what people should expect for future titles.

Not sure which I like less...

I beat most of the menu's with 91' GTO on the highest difficulty. This was so much fun mostly because was just like the good old days of Gran Turismo where I beat the whole game with the FTO (to poor for a GTO back than) and I still fondly remember that green prototype FTO. The Menu's are so beautifully structured and races so well designed that I can't understand why people complain about them. You start with ****boxes which now days are hybrid and then continue with Japan and American Tuners cars just for the game to be able to throw a finger and you and make you collect BMW M cars :D this was so funny and for someone who do real track driving on the weekends where most of the cars are BMW M's was hilarious. Then you step up to the real deal 911 GT3's and that's what makes this game amazing. But there is a lot of content missing for example where is the MX-5 cup ?

A) PD ran out of time and couldn't deliver on the single player experience they promised even after all the delays.

B) PD purposefully gutted GT7 on launch to then generously release the cut content piece meal over future updates for their $70 AAA game.

C) This is 100% PD's vision of what a complete single player experience should be in Gran Turismo and is what people should expect for future titles.

Not sure which I like less...
I suppose that's the trade-off for getting GT games that aren't delayed to high heaven. You get it on the day they originally specify, but the initial release is somewhat bare bones and you have to wait for new content that gets added later on.

Eh, at least new content gets added through updates, not through DLC packs. I hope.

I know, I've read it, I misunderstood your issue with the FR's one of them is how twitchy they are under brakes in comparison to sport. The issue at the edge of traction is there no matter what controller you use. Hopefully they patch it to be more intuitive.
Newer FR cars I can get a handle on, but classics? Ouch... I need more patience than I have I'm afraid. Driving with a G923 using default traction control and weak ABS.

Last edited:
Feels very much like (or at least I hope) they have a lot more content and are deliberately holding it back to release later. Maybe they wanted a fairly trouble-free launch, then they'll add in extra content once any early glitches are ironed out.

The career mode is tiny, but there are glaring omissions and nothing above a Gp.3 championship so there MUST be an expanded championship set on its way including Gp.2, Gp.1, proper endurance stuff etc. I can see that bottom section of the World Circuits section changing format into a proper championship list over time.

To me personally career just feels like a grind. I lack a couple of things to make it truely enjoyable:
- Good AI.
As long as I dont feel the AI is more or less equal to me at least speed wise, I dont feel any appeal to race them.

- At least some immersion.
I know we are supposed to be hating on games with true story driven career modes, but thats not the thing Im lacking per say. For instance, playing through seasonal mode of f1 2020, where you upgrade your car from race to race and have your own racing team, I feel much more immersed and have that "ok just one more race" feeling a lot more then here.

- The menu system is horrible to me.
Say I join an event where my current car is not eligible and the ones that are, are not up to the required standard to win.
First I have to go way back to the menu where you can go into your garage and select the right car. Then back to menu again and go to tuning shop. then go back again to the event, a lot of clicks and waiting later.
Also: When Im done with a cafe menu, an icon appears that I finished it saying I should go back to café. Why didn't they just make it so when I click the yellow button, it actually takes me back to café?
These are all things that could be easily solved in my opinion by making the menu's a bit smarter with links taking you right to the appropriate menu.

Having said that, theres plenty for me to like the game, but it's not in career mode and thats what the thread is about.

Disclaimer: I am nowhere near unlocking everything

Back