Hood Spacers......

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 49 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
I want to know what you think about hood spacers?

Don't know what hood spacer are?
They are thick washers or a bar, that going between the hood and hinges........

4_G.jpg

f397c56b-ea6c-4bd9-9bb7-0a97a1e79851-800.jpg

And it results in this.
5_G.jpg

8354_15.jpg

From what I heard is that they help with cooling.

Does anyone know if they are effective or not? What do you think about the look they give the car?

20120324-1509441.jpg

367313d1258424444-anyone-got-set-billet-hood-spacers-there-fc-dl_front-jpg

haubbeeefa1.jpg

S2000_Seibon_Carbon_Bonnet_13300862.jpg

tumblr_inline_mz4lz9gssU1qgoe9w.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a shadetree repair after a collision. I can believe it helps with cooling, there will be more airflow as the air has somewhere to escape. Still looks like it's broken though and there are other options to improve the cooling.

My RX-7 has a front-hinged hood, so I can achieve this look whenever I please. Which is never.

[I have to say, it's nice to have the option to excavate a little extra heat from the engine bay during hard driving]

Body panels are shaped to fit for a reason, why spoil that by making it look like you had a light frontal?

Seriously stupid idea, there are much better ways to "Improve cooling" than these stupid things and chances are these aren't the "Last resort" for any of these people even IF they were getting their cars hot enough to justify it.

Absurd and I hope they don't catch on.

Makes them look like the bonnet doesn't fit properly. Yet another 'hip, cool, gotta have this and slam it bro' crap that I'm not having.

One of the dumber automotive trends.

I have used spacers to raise the rear spoiler of my Grand Prix to prevent water/debris from getting trapped underneath.

Yeah it works.

The engine bay of your car is effectively a metal parachute. It causes an unbelievable amount of drag. Allowing air to escape through the hood opening helps relieve the high pressure zone inside the engine bay and lets more air flow for less drag and better cooling.

Unfortunately the area at the base of the windshield is another high pressure zone, there's a reason why NASCAR puts their intakes there, so trying to allow air to escape into a high pressure zone is less effective compared to hood vents or wheel arch vents.

In addition this situates the hood at a greater angle of attack against the incoming air, you'll get a bit of downforce from this.

Or you could just build your car so it doesn't need to look idiotic to keep cool.

Props to anyone who actually pushes their car hard enough on a regular basis to require the need for such things, and i guess it's a ghetto-mod for anyone who can't afford or can't be bothered to properly sort out their cars overheating problems. But for purely aesthetic reasons...?

These have been around for YEARS, I'm surprised this is the first time some of you are hearing about these.

I dont like them, nor hate them. Sure, they are effective, but I'm sure that's minimal at best. Although, most of the cars that have had them dont really need them, making them purely cosmetic in most cases. As a "little extra" on a built car, or for someone that tracks often, I dont see it as a problem, as there are record settings cars that look questionable all on their own.

Last edited:
It looks awful to me. I really couldn't care less what someone chooses to do with their own car but there is no way in hell I'd ever do this to anything I own.

Big thing next year, trunk spacers. Need that JDM downforce bro...
This isn't a trend that's just starting, first time I started seeing them was about 10 years ago, and thats' just because I wasn't paying attention before that. At least these can be functional.

XS
Wait, someone actually "invented" these? Then went through the trouble of producing and selling them? Then people actually bought them to intentionally ruin the body panel fit of their car?

tumblr_m9ffnrV95U1r1vzzeo2_500.jpg
Exactly what I was thinking. Please tell me this is not real and that it is just a troll picture. This is a TERRIBLE idea. Cant believe people buy this. Why cant I think of something stupid like this to make money on. If someone cant properly cool their engine compartment without this then they are simply idiots. Seriously just wow. :crazy:👎:banghead:

I cant wait to see the problems people start having with this product and their hood latches. :D

Looks worse than a fake hood scoop. Looks like the hood won't completely shut.

Why is everyone assuming they are putting these on because theyre cars are overheating? I can see it as being a precaution aswell as an addition to whatever cooling they already have available.

Its not because they cant keep their cars cool.

EDIT: for the racer on a budget I'm sure this would be a nice cost-friendly addition. If your just worried about your car looking pretty, then something like this wouldn't appeal to you, obviously.

Last edited:
Why is everyone assuming they are putting these on because theyre cars are overheating? I can see it as being a precaution aswell as an addition to whatever cooling they already have available.

Its not because they cant keep their cars cool.

EDIT: for the racer on a budget I'm sure this would be a nice cost-friendly addition. If your just worried about your car looking pretty, then something like this wouldn't appeal to you, obviously.

People put hood pins and tow hooks on street-only cars all the time. Making a car look race ready is fun to them.

People put hood pins and tow hooks on street-only cars all the time. Making a car look race ready is fun to them.
True, and I dont have a problem with that. I always thought it was pointless doing that for purely cosmetic reasons, though.

I have something like this on my Neon race car (truth be told it's a stack of washers welded together) and it does work at keeping the temps down. The car has a bad overheating problem because of the engine that's in it so every bit helps. I'm not really sure why you'd put these on a every day street driven car though, they look goofy.

It's nothing new, and I don't get all the hate. It may be the new trend for "OMG JDM BRAAAHHH" types, but it actually has been used since a long time ago for racing cars, specially in low budget series. Like someone else said, it's like picking up on tow hooks and hood pins. Do wanna-be track bros use them on their cars? Absolutely, and it looks pathetic there. Is it something pathetic in itself? Not at all, it has genuine roots in racing.

I have something like this on my Neon race car (truth be told it's a stack of washers welded together) and it does work at keeping the temps down. The car has a bad overheating problem because of the engine that's in it so every bit helps. I'm not really sure why you'd put these on a every day street driven car though, they look goofy.

I've been thinking on doing something similar on my car because, as you said, every bit helps :lol:. One question though, would it be an issue when it rains?

I've been thinking on doing something similar on my car because, as you said, every bit helps :lol:. One question though, would it be an issue when it rains?

Should be fine, we drive through mud and what not with our car and it's still running. We just hose out the engine bay after a race.

I've heard that it also improves aerodynamics a bit as it reduces the angle where the bottom of the windshield and the hood meet. Can't say if it's true though.

Back