Hori Overdrive Wheel?

• Thread starter Tool1312
  • 32 comments
Thoughts?

Let the flames begin!!

If it doesn't have force feedback then don't bother - it will end up discarded in the attic or garage or sold to a charity shop by your wife/girlfriend after you have abandoned it! Seriously - that is the fate of most such wheels!

Save your money and put it towards an entry level FFB wheel - even if such a wheel is a year or two away.

Thoughts?
What price have you seen it at? A lot depends on that. Not having seen of handled one it's difficult to judge. Although the reviews seem to be generally favourable and it looks quite nicely arranged button wise.

In some ways I'd agree with Sick, however it depends on how serious you want to get into sim racing. If you think one day you might advance to a FFB wheel then it might be better to save your money and go straight for that. But if you just want the extra control and realism a wheel will give you over a controller, and think that will be enough, then something like the Hori might be for you. You also wouldn't need such a strong "rig" since there's no motors to fight against.

No flames from me. :)

Could you run to this Thrustmaster T150?

The thing is whether I play enough racing games to warrant a wheel. Obviously I play PC1 and 2 that's why I'm on this forum, which btw seems to be more active than Project Cars own forum, but now I've got to grips with gamepad settings the urge for a wheel is a bit less.
Then I find myself trawling eBay and YouTube for wheel reviews lol.
Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are the only titles I've had to really work to be useable on gamepad. F1 2019, Dirt 2.0, Forza7 and Wreckfest are pretty much plug and play. PC and AC are more in depth sims I know so need more tweaking. And yes I can control PC1 easier than PC2 because there's less physics involved.
But getting back to the point my budget if I went for a wheel would be about £100 so I could get a Hori new or see if I can find a TMX or G920 used somewhere. I'm not in dire need for one but it would be nice to have a go. Apart from a bad experience with one on original Xbox I've never used one, especially not FFB so I don't know what it feels like tbh. I presume that wheels such as the Hori will feel a bit like the gamepad with regards to rumble vibration.
I'll keep looking and weighing up the options.

Tbh if I were you I’d either save up and wait or look for a second hand g29 or t150 as proper force feedback literally is a game changer.
It really brings sims to life and I’d have to say it’s the single most immersive thing you can do, ahead of even vr.

I was able to get a new g29 complete with shifter for around £200 years back and I’d imagine they’ll be able to be got for even less in sales as their getting long in the tooth, but are still a very capable set up especially for the price.

I’m not exaggerating to say that once used to force feedback it turns your sim racing from a casual pastime to a full blown hobby!

I’m not exaggerating to say that once used to force feedback it turns your sim racing from a casual pastime to a full blown hobby!

The above statement is spot on!

I remember my thought process about 10 years ago before I got my first wheel - it was a new Logitech DFGT at £80 from Argos - I kept thinking this is crazy - spending £80 on a game controller! But what a difference and what a feeling - I could never play a car game with a hand controller now!

Wait for a Thrustmaster T150 (preferably the version with the good pedals) or a Logitech G29 - you don't need the H pattern shifter, but sometimes it is included free.

It's a shame Logitech dropped the DFGT and made the G29 their entry level wheel as the DFGT was a great first wheel and also was used by some of the fastest sim racers in the world for a while.

Apart from a bad experience with one on original Xbox I've never used one.

Yes - a close friend bought a G920 for the Xbox early on and for some reason they just didn't work together - he took it straight back to PC World without waiting for a fix which I think eventually came from Microsoft / Xbox.

Very wise to wait. Personally I would wait until the new Xbox is released and you know what wheels will be compatible etc.

About a year ago I purchased a Thrustmaster T80 because I really wanted a wheel. I used it for a few days, then in the closet it went. The difference between a force feedback wheel and a non-ff is massive. I much preferred my controller to the non-ff

About a year ago I purchased a Thrustmaster T80 because I really wanted a wheel. I used it for a few days, then in the closet it went. The difference between a force feedback wheel and a non-ff is massive. I much preferred my controller to the non-ff

I have heard the same thing from many others - also the non-FFB wheels often contain resistance bands (rubber bands) - eventually these snap on one side.

Well, here's my experience with the wheels i had now.

I started PC2 with the controller, which got me hooked in the first place. It was fun to drive, but for the experience, i wanted a wheel. I wasn't sure if i would stick to racing games for the longer term, so i bought this second handed T80 for €25,00. I used this wheel for about two weeks and it really pushed me over the edge in terms of racing games.. i wanted more!!

I really wasn't tired of the T80 yet, because even without the FFB (which you don't miss when you never had it..) it gives you the feeling that you are actually driving the car. Unfortunately, my T80 wheel had some issues (jerking to the left in-game, without me giving input). I had to put her down :(

Because of the T80, i got the hang of racing with a wheel and with that knowledge, i was more confident to spend a little bit more. I checked out some reviews and bought the T150RS Pro with the T3PA pedals (they are ALOT better than the T80 crap what they call pedals). For now, i am really very happy with the T150.

Maybe this helps you in the right direction (Y) If you can get your hands on a T80 for pocketchange, why not. You can always sell it for just as much and upgrade ;)

Yeah that's the thing, I can see how the feedback would be missed if you went from a FFB wheel to a non FFB one, but to make the first leap from a gamepad a non FFB wheel is not such a bad thing.
Having said that there's a few TMX's and G920s on eBay for not much more than a new Hori. But like anything eBay they don't often stay at the first low price.

I have also looked for used G29 / T150 wheels, but the difference between a used and new wheel was too little for me. I bought it new, so i have guarantees and i'm sure noone else been fiddling around with it. For the T80, it didn't matter to me because it was so cheap.

Tbh if th T80 didn't die on me (rip), i would still use it!

On Argos a Hori or a 458 Italia are £100. TMX is £180 and the G920 is £270.
It's not my money but the TMX would seem to be good value.

I managed to get my G29 for £160 from Currys in a Black Friday type sale. Might be worth holding on. There might even be a few sales as the virus restrictions are lifted to boost people into spending. If they've got some money!

Last edited:
Do not buy a Hori or T 80.
Just save your money.

I would definitely nuance this, as imo a Hori or T80 (only have experience with the T80) is already an upgrade from the controller. I would not recommend buying one new, because then i would follow @killerjimbag and buy an upgrade.

Of course i don't know what you want to spend on a wheel and how serious you are on racing games, which are both important factors for buying a wheel imo.

I'm finding myself glued to PC1 and PC2 at the moment. I've not played Dirt 2.0 for ages and I played that constantly when it came out. Need to get back to it for a change. Occasionally have a go at Forza 7 which is still good for a bit tho I keep thinking the graphics in Forza 5 and 6 are better. Then I'll get F1 2019 for a bit. Assetto Corsa is a bit easier to drive than PCars but the graphics aren't as good, or the lack of tracks. And although the visuals of Grid are good it's not as good a game. Wreckfest is great for some mindless smashing ( sometimes think that's what PCars online lobbies think they're playing ). Other than that I play COD Warzone.
But the main go to driving is PCars 1 and 2. Easier for me on PCars1 and the fact the Xbox limits the AI grid numbers due to the physics problem on PCars2. And the weather options are amazing.
If I get a wheel I'm sure the experience will vastly improve on both.

If you're in the UK have a browse over at CEX website, they got Thrustmaster TMX's for £140 (Pro version £150) or even a TX for £180 (not the leather edition) with a 2 year warranty.

Although it says out of stock, if you click on the item then click 'check stock' it'll show you all stock in stores.

Unfortunately all stores are shut but if you can contact them via phone or email they might be able to get one delivered.

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=Thrustmaster&sortBy=sellprice&sortOrder=desc

Last edited:
Now look what you made me do !
images (1).jpeg

Now look what you made me do !
Santa's very early this year! :)
He's probably started early because of the virus restrictions.

I hope you enjoy your wheel. 👍
(Bring on the FFB questions)

Latest Posts

Back