Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Alright, I know I said last week the Sierra would be up sometime, but their is a slight problem. I have a lot of pictures for it I plan to post and of course a lot to say about it since I love the casting. So, I will post it when we are on another page in this thread.
Another page will be along soon.

Hopefully posting this reply will help it on it's way. 👍

[EDIT]

Yep @yabiggoose . it started a new page in normal (pc mode) mode too. Yay!

*Maybe I should hit the roulette wheel*

Last edited:
Ok so I want to put a wing on this Lamborghini but don't know what material to use any ones done that before?
Allredy lowered it and did a bit of detailing I'm still wating on the paint for the tail lights :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 39
Ok so I want to put a wing on this Lamborghini but don't know what material to use any ones done that before?
Allredy lowered it and did a bit of detailing I'm still wating on the paint for the tail lights :)

You got any laying around from previous projects? If not, I make mine from the plastic blister the car comes in, looks good though.

Well I apologize for not posting this sooner, but here it is! :D

This is a custom I have been dying to do for quite some time now. The Ford Sierra, while it's not a full blooded Hot Wheels casting since it was originally a Corgi, it has been an all time favorite for me ever since I first saw it. This design is actually one I came up with way back in 2012, but due to this casting being very, very hard to find for me, it wasn't until now I finally got to make my imagination a reality. I don't think I have ever seen anybody customize the "Hot Wheels" Ford Sierra before and since I love making obscure vehicle choices for my customs as well as the Sierra itself, I just had to do this because it was too good not to!

A lot I have to say about this project, so I added spoilers.

So here is how it began.
IMG_1691.JPG
Just a typical, mint Sierra that I got off of Ebay (Originally unopened) thanks to a gift card since I have only ever seen one in the wild. (And that's the only other one I own sadly)

The casting was remarkably easy to take apart. The drill bit I typically use is too small for most of my customs, but since this former Corgi has smaller rivits than traditional Hot Wheels, it was actually the perfect size! Like, if you needed to train a beginner how to take apart a Hot Wheels casting, this is a good place to start if you can find one. ;)
IMG_1692.JPG
First thing I went towards was the wheels. I bought this Honda Civic Boulevard back when it was new and I had been keeping it tucked away, unopened for this project ever since. I have had my mind on these wheels for this casting for years, too long for me to change my mind so that was exactly what I chose.
IMG_1694.JPG
Here it is in stock form with them:
IMG_1696.JPG
Since I had a long time to plan this, I did some measurements years ago to see if the wheels and axles would fit on the Sierra since the casting was a little big and surely enough, it was perfect!

Getting onto the painting, here it is stripped
IMG_1697.JPG
I had to open the doors when this thing was being stripped to get all the paint off.

Here it is primared. Had to open and close the doors to do this.
IMG_1698.JPG
And then finally here it is recieving it's first coat of paint. The biggest challanege I faced in this project was dealing with the opening doors since I had never done it before. Had to strip it and redo it once, but thankfully I got it right the second time.
IMG_1699.JPG

So, a quick back story about the paint. When I first thought about the paint job for this casting, I was originally going for a light metallic green, but I later scrapped that idea (May pursue it eventually though) and I wanted to give it a nice shade of blue to bring out the Ford pride from within. The problem was, I was not sure what paint would match the color I had imaged in my mind, so I had to buy several blue's until I found it. You probably remember that Ford Falcon custom I used as a "test bed" a while back since it was a spare and you probably wonder, what was it a test bed for? Well, it was for this project and the blue pearl I used for it proved to be too dark for my liking. Another test subject I had was the Pointiac Salsa I posted earlier. I used it to test the paint "Star Spangled Blue" and it wasn't what I wanted either. Then finally, I tried out "Gloss Custom Blue Metal Flake" on my currently unfinished Tall Ryder and it was exactly what I was looking for, so that was what I used.

One of the cool things about this casting is I got the pleasure of working with it's rather nice interior. I sprayed it silver first and then for the first time ever, I used a sharpie to detail it instead of a toothpick. I looked up pictures of the interior on a real Sierra and I detailed it accordingly while adding some details to other areas just because I could. :D
IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG
I wasn't originally planning on this, but I thought it would be a great idea to detail the tailights especially since it was part of the interior.

For the first time ever, I detailed the windshield wipers and the rear view mirror with a sharpie.
IMG_1735.JPG
For the base, I detailed the bottom as well as the lights and reflectors on the bumper.
IMG_1736.JPG
Added detailing to the door handles and even the key slots for the doors and trunk. I used a sharpie on the license plate and I used the blue pearl from the Falcon to detail the Ford emblem. (You can't see it in the photo though) Lastly, I added a huge Ford logo on the hood. I didn't go too far with the decals because I wanted to keep it's simplicity intact.

And finally, here is the finished product!
IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG
Very pleased with the result! Apart from the minor imperfections, this custom is exactly what I invisioned in my mind years ago, and then some. Since I have had years to plan this, I was able to get this casting done pretty quickly. Slacked off a bit on getting to the decals, but it's all done now! :) I had a lot of fun working with this former Corgi and if I ever find more Sierra's, I will certainly make more customs of them. Sorry for the giant post, but I hope ya'll like it! :)

Great job! What you've done really brings it to life.

Poor boulevard Civic, though. There must be tons of these things lying around, wheeless. I know I have 5 of them myself that will never get used. :lol:

Poor boulevard Civic, though. There must be tons of these things lying around, wheeless.

Must be, I had sold 3 Boulevards that won at opening bid. If you guys want donors, you ought to speak with me.

"Sonygamer" that thing is stunning, what a good job.

@Nesy mate I have about half a dozen lying around, brilliant casting but it's a tad larger than normal hw and the metal base is a pain.

Okay. I have gotten a little work done on a restoration of a Dukes of Hazzard Rosco's police car. The casting is in really good shape. Sadly someone (I got it at a garage sale) painted some of the car with paint you use for painting walls and stuff like that. I can't seem to get it off the windows and the light bar. Very annoying. Anyone know an easy way to get it off? I bought some Hazzard County Police Car decals off of eBay and will put them on once I paint it.

I'm hoping that once spring gets into full swing and the weather gets nicer that maybe there'll be more time for customizing

I remember how I used to say this for the last 2 years and make so little. Not that I'm insinuating anything about you personally. My illustrious cars haven't moved since the last time I posted a progress picture of it.

Ok so got a couple of gallardos made the interseptor in to a convertible and the super ligera is getting a paint job I don't have special tools just a litle Hack saw blade so sorry for a crude job will post the super ligera and finish drop top soon :)
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
[EDIT]
Ok just added last coat of poly they need to sit over night befor I touch them I think they look good :)
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Great job! What you've done really brings it to life.
Thanks Nessy! :D In my eyes, the Sierra is a casting with great potential and it's just begging to be customized. Their is a lot more that I think can be done to the Sierra that haven't yet tapped into.

Poor boulevard Civic, though. There must be tons of these things lying around, wheeless. I know I have 5 of them myself that will never get used. :lol:
Don't forget the 3 test subjects used before the project. ;) That Civic had been in the blister for years waiting for this project to happen. I may take the Sierra's original wheels and put them on the Civic, maybe even repaint it since I hate having wheel less bodies lying around.

"Sonygamer" that thing is stunning, what a good job.
Glad you like it! :D

Aaaah duuuude I would have loved it without the overkill Ford tampo. Everything else is cool, but the decal is a bit too much for me.
I can kind of understand why. If this had been a much more recent idea, I probably would have left it out, but since this was a very old idea, I was already accustomed to it too much to change my mind about it.

Oh and you really should spray your interior with some flat clear so it wont shine like it's made of metal.
Well I made due with what I had with the interior, probably should have waited and got a flat grey for it instead, but oh well. I'll try the flat clear though. 👍

[QUOTE="Sonygamer455, post: 11302793, member: 212764"
Well I made due with what I had with the interior, probably should have waited and got a flat grey for it instead, but oh well. I'll try the flat clear though. 👍[/QUOTE]

Any flat clear will do the trick and your interior will look 1000% more realistic, trust me 👍

Nice Lambo Emmcee if you seen my posts you will see I'm a Sucker for Italians love it personally I'd do it in red but it still looks very nice I hope I come across a casting of that car some day :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, yeah I was thinking red to but I wanted to go with a more nostalgic colour and the pale yellow suits it well IMO. I found the casting in a charity bin it was like 5 cars for $5 so I spotted the countach right away and same with the Porsche also. The other three cars I gave to my kids

Yeah I was hoping people would. It was bizarre casting in the sense it had the countach rear wing but I noticed every countach that had the wing, also had flared body work to match. So instead of making extra work, I simply removed the wing which IMO makes it look more of a lp500 countach.

Tried editing post to add images but deleted post and went to blank screen so sorry once again

But here's my karmen ghia lowered, with detailed interior and exterior plus wheel swap
sfxk4m.jpg

2hcnmo4.jpg

jauywi.jpg

2sae9lz.jpg

Old battered pickup
atlulj.jpg

312ihqr.jpg

10rv4w8.jpg

Old gt40 lowered, detailed and wheel swap.
21kcvbm.jpg

x3hk6r.jpg

16h7rls.jpg

Hope you like, got more for you tomorrow.

Latest Posts

Back