Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Curious, but what Hot Wheels casting did those wheels come from?

These wheels are from a Hot wheels Cadillac Escalade ext (team Baurtwell)
I am currently working on modifying the cadillac ext. Shaving the cab flare off, so it looks like a pick-up. I'll post pictures when it's done.

I'll leave this here, it's the post from the Basic class of our second contest. Only one in which I won something lol.

http://www.customdiecastmexico.com/2016/09/2do-concurso-de-customs-custom-diecast.html
14203646_349283375461147_1018742465_o.jpg

@Nessy This facebook user's post may get you motivated:

14330068_10205722566903726_4243299946509612963_n.jpg

14316917_10205722569223784_7569482868022104553_n.jpg

14322592_10205722578744022_366890258051575247_n.jpg

14322753_10205722593544392_1846101938324287041_n.jpg

14369899_10205722598944527_3564998690824776600_n.jpg
It's a bit too 'Rocket Bunny' for my tastes, but I can still appreciate the awesome amount of work they've put into it.

It does motivate, but it's really time that I'm lacking in at the moment (very busy with life in general).

I did manage to add the exhaust to the Ford Angrier, and cut away the front seats in the interior, but that's about it. Oh, also did a dry run with the side stripe/tick, though I've since wiped it away as I was getting some bleed in the doors shutines. I do have a solution for that though.

Partially stripped a transporter (WIP that I plan to extend the wheelbase on), that's going to carry around the Angrier or the other stripped car below it.

Here's a little something else I started work on quite a while ago. There's a heck of a lot of work required for this one, so it'll probably take another year, Lol. Please excuse the dirty Blu-tac involved, it's just there to give a rough idea of form. I ain't gonna say what it is, though I know some will easily recognise what it's going to become. And for those that do know, don't worry about the windows. I have another with clear windows, this ones windows will be getting experimented on to replicate the actual car.

These wheels are from a Hot wheels Cadillac Escalade ext (team Baurtwell)
I am currently working on modifying the cadillac ext. Shaving the cab flare off, so it looks like a pick-up. I'll post pictures when it's done.
Ah yes, I had a feeling it was from the Whips series. Never owned any, but that is something I would take if I ever saw it. Hope it goes well by the way!

You really hit home with the detailing on this one.

Does anybody know if there's a 1/64 scale BMW E46 sedan casting? I want to try and replicate my E46 Wagon...

Don't think they exist. All I know is that Kyosho has a 2-door E46 CSL, but those are asking for big money on eBay.

Is mycustomhotwheels.com down? I tried to view the topic on how to remove the rivet posts with a soldering iron along with a few others and I cannot find it. Was going to try it out on a few test subjects. :indiff:

Don't know about the site. The idea behind using the soldering iron is to heat up the rivet to the point where the plastic part of the base making contact with it will eventually heat up and melt enough for you to yank the car out.

Of course you could just carve your way around the rivet's perimeter to be quicker, but it's a lot neater if you let the heat transfer through the rivet.

Well, I gave the soldering iron trick a try last night using a beat up Sol Air CX4 and a Lamborghini Murcielago from my bucket of cars I got a while back, that way if it went wrong, it was no big deal to me. The test proved very successful!
IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1945.JPG

However, the real test would be if it could get this Ex Corgi Ferrari 308 GTS apart.
570950-5765dd9e3dd9ee302d10551157447bb1.jpg

Corgi went the extra mile and decided to put 5 rivets on it! :crazy: They were certainly thinking on their feet when they made this casting.
IMG_1946.JPG
Even this 308 GTS proved to be no match for this tactic!
IMG_1942.JPG IMG_1943.JPG
The way I see it is, if it can deal with this one, it can deal with any of them. (With plastic bases of course) While it takes longer than drilling, mainly because you have to give the soldering iron some time to heat up, I highly recommend this technique! 👍

A few things I want to note is try this with a casting you don't care about first, that way you can understand how to do it and if you screw up it's no big deal. Putting your fingers on the wheels didn't work too well for me, but using a flat head screw driver to pull the base up did and it's much safer too. Any way to pull up the base will do. When you heat up the rivet, it will also heat up the rest of the casting as well so be careful! I was concerned about it melting the paint off, but I didn't have that problem surprisingly. Of course, last but not least, be very careful when using a soldering iron! Hope this helps! :)

Well, I gave the soldering iron trick a try last night using a beat up Sol Air CX4 and a Lamborghini Murcielago from my bucket of cars I got a while back, that way if it went wrong, it was no big deal to me. The test proved very successful!
View attachment 595397 View attachment 595390

However, the real test would be if it could get this Ex Corgi Ferrari 308 GTS apart.
570950-5765dd9e3dd9ee302d10551157447bb1.jpg

Corgi went the extra mile and decided to put 5 rivets on it! :crazy: They were certainly thinking on their feet when they made this casting.
View attachment 595389
Even this 308 GTS proved to be no match for this tactic!
View attachment 595399 View attachment 595398
The way I see it is, if it can deal with this one, it can deal with any of them. (With plastic bases of course) While it takes longer than drilling, mainly because you have to give the soldering iron some time to heat up, I highly recommend this technique! 👍

A few things I want to note is try this with a casting you don't care about first, that way you can understand how to do it and if you screw up it's no big deal. Putting your fingers on the wheels didn't work too well for me, but using a flat head screw driver to pull the base up did and it's much safer too. Any way to pull up the base will do. When you heat up the rivet, it will also heat up the rest of the casting as well so be careful! I was concerned about it melting the paint off, but I didn't have that problem surprisingly. Of course, last but not least, be very careful when using a soldering iron! Hope this helps! :)
awesome write up mate thanks for the time put in. Wtf is with 5 rivets? I've never seen that before, nice looking casting but.

awesome write up mate thanks for the time put in
You're welcome and thanks! :)

Wtf is with 5 rivets? I've never seen that before, nice looking casting but.
Yea I don't know any other Hot Wheels that have that many rivets. The rivets are also smaller than a majority of average Hot Wheels. Of course this casting, like some others, was a Corgi until they became Hot Wheels. So it's got it's obvious differences.

One drawback I noticed a while ago is the base apparently got heated up enough to where it could bend in a certain position, and now it seems to be stuck like that. :ouch:

Edit: Well it's not perfect, but I seemed to have gotten now.

Last edited:
That's the initial fear I have over this technique and that's the heat transfer onto the base.
Unless you're working with something like what I have (Good luck finding one), I doubt you will have that problem because most Hot Wheels have one rivet on the back while this one has three.

20160512_070159.jpg
Hello all! Long-time lurker, thought I'd finally register and post. Good stuff on here.
Here's a couple of pics of a WIP I'm doing. It started as a daffy duck HW. Needs to be repainted. I made the rack and surfboard, lowered it, put on wheels from an M2 machines VW bug, and have wired up headlights. I don't want to see this thread die soooo.... nice to meet you all.
20160512_065646.jpg

Back