how aggressive are you?

while waiting on gt4 ive dug out old GT3 for a play....
the AI cars are so ****in aggressive!, I mean they just drive wherever they want to go regardless of where you are , nothing like proper track behaviour :nervous:

what I want to know is do most people try to drive the car normally, i.e not hitting anyone or do you use them to get round corners and things sometimes ?as a sort of barrier

I always try to race as if I'll be submitting for OLR review. That means no more than two wheels off, no big wall touches or AI bangs, and nothing that gives you an advantage. If I stake out my line and the AI hits me, so be it, but I don't go torpedoing them. Usually it's you that loses anyway, even if you totally railgun them at the end of the straights.

I can't stand hitting the walls, driving off the track, or hitting the other cars, it erks me. Sometimes they do indeed trade some paint with me, but I can't blame them, I'm so much quicker. Perhaps the AI thinks it's the only way to slow me down? ;)

The only time I end up contacting the AI is when they move into my line.. or just do something completely erratic. For example... they tend to slam there brakes when running laps at Trial Mountain right after the start finish line... where I can just go in full throttle. Was drafting once, and then... BAM!

Other wise, I pride myself on extremely clean passing and being aware of where the AI is. As Neon said, its like racing in an OLR event.

I agree, they are not agressive just stupid. When I race I try my best not to touch or anything. But tha AI just drives on their line like crazy and don't care for nobody, so my conscience is clear when we trade paint. Not often, but it happens.

AE86OHYEAH
they annoy the hell outta me
so i feel the need to smash into them every now and then

yep, same here. I try to run clean races but sometimes they just piss you off, ie: that goddamn "brake check" they like to do at the stupidest moments.

hahah i was ont he back straigt on test course drafting behind a gt1 when he did that "brake check"......lol i just hauled left and slungshot straight past him heheh

what annoys me moreso than the brake check, is their utter disregard for your braking zone. Case in point - braking for the tight right hander midway through Rome Circuit, the hairpin on Apricot Hill, the right at the top fo the hill on Seattle Circuit, the right after the backstraight of Seattle CircuitII (hrm all rights...), basically any corner where the Ai typically runs wide
If you brake on the racing line sooner than they deem it to be appropriate they dont hesitate to let you know by ramming into your bumper at full bore, causing you to veer wide.
This in particular annoys me much more than the brake check, and more than them turning in on me midway through a passing manouvre. But, I guess thats why their intelligence is called artificial.

I try to race clean... without hitting the walls, not going off the track and not smashing into the AI and making them go off the track... i prefer to race propably... and when GT4 is released here i will race the same... :cheers:

I try to drive as realistically as possible, avoiding contact, but it's sometimes unavoidable.

By the way, has anyone noticed how horrible the AI are on Laguna Seca? In Round 5 of the JGTC series, I saw each of them spin at least once, and many more than that! (I saw the Loctite Zexel Skyline spin every time I was near him, on the last left hander before the finish line!)

TankSpanker
what annoys me moreso than the brake check, is their utter disregard for your braking zone. Case in point - braking for the tight right hander midway through Rome Circuit, the hairpin on Apricot Hill, the right at the top fo the hill on Seattle Circuit, the right after the backstraight of Seattle CircuitII (hrm all rights...), basically any corner where the Ai typically runs wide
If you brake on the racing line sooner than they deem it to be appropriate they dont hesitate to let you know by ramming into your bumper at full bore, causing you to veer wide.
This in particular annoys me much more than the brake check, and more than them turning in on me midway through a passing manouvre. But, I guess thats why their intelligence is called artificial.

Amen to that! ... they just ram you. that is what pisses me off the most.

Takumi: yes, the last corner seems to get them hard (like that GT40 that goes wide allwasy and mercedes race car ... :D). To me that is funny. Ta least they don't ram me there. And the corkscrew is very bad for some of them too :). To me that is nice to see, that they too make mistakes. There is also a skyline race in Grand Valley Speedway reversed, where they spin off in the corner just before the tightest hairpin. I drove behind few of them some laps and just laughed how they get sideways and then they over correct and spin out. It happens because their tires seem to be near end :D

It really bugs me, though, as they seem to spin into the straight, and always time just so that they hit me as I'm going by.

Hmm. Interesting thread.

It's been awhile since I've brought out the old '3, so I'll answer to the best of my ability.

I like to try and race cleanly, in my normal racing lines, but if I do that I'll annihilate the AI (and if your AI is actually competitive, ferret-turbo, you have big problems ;)), so a lot of the time I might take a slower car in, or try not to be so agressive, and let me tell you, I'm the first person to admit to using the AI as a barrier of sorts, and I'm the first person to admit being a "dirty" racer. It just livens it up a bit, makes it more interesting for me.

Takumi Fujiwara
By the way, has anyone noticed how horrible the AI are on Laguna Seca?
In the Laguna Enduro, driving a stock Panoz Esperante, I beat the CLK touring car by something like 11 or 13 laps, because he spun on that turn more times than he negotiated it clearly (if he ever did - I lapped him the first time 8 laps into the race, before I even made my first pit).

The single most infuriating AI/turn combination has to be Turn 3 at Grand Valley in the Amateur GT Allstars (or whichever it is with all the JGTC 500 cars). If you drive anything remotely competitive, you arrive at this turn and brake just in time to get piledrivered by the entire field, and nailed straight into the wall while they all slip past through the tight offset. Then you outdrive them on the rest of the track, work your way back to the lead, and arrive at this turn and brake just in time to get piledrivered by the entire field...

Since it is Grand Valley Speedway II Racetrack that is used in that championship, I believe neon_duke meant the tight left-right combination (chicane), just after the straight, first left corner and a long right corner.

I usually drive my races like sunday drives. I don't go real fast, but I still manage to win. I could go faster, but that takes too much effort and I don't really need to go that hard when I'm doing fine.

Radicool02
I usually drive my races like sunday drives. I don't go real fast, but I still manage to win. I could go faster, but that takes too much effort and I don't really need to go that hard when I'm doing fine.

Or you just don't know how to drive. Isn't that right, Mr. 3000 Points In Prologue? :P

I try to be clean and most of the time it works. The only race I can remember I was forced to change my strategy was during the Zonda cup in Roma II. There I realised that if I was not " forcing my way " I could loose the race ( I was 6th on the starting grid ) because the cars in the middle of the pack weere blocking me and the pole car was desapearing in the horizon.
Another cup is the Vitz cup, the cars are so closely matched that you cannot always make a clean pass.They are so slow that you can't use the draft on the straight and brake late before entering the corner. So in that race, some paint scratching ( à la BTCC ) is unavoidable.

vipersan
Since it is Grand Valley Speedway II Racetrack that is used in that championship, I believe neon_duke meant the tight left-right combination (chicane), just after the straight, first left corner and a long right corner.
That's correct - in the counterclockwise direction, Turn 1 is the left dogleg followed by the right hand Turn 2 and the little chute running down to Turn 3, the sharp (90 degree +) left with the rock wall at the apex. The JGTC Skylines, having finally gotten up to full boost on the long front straight, all pile directly into that turn like a freight train. Even the NSXs, which normally drive a little better, can't negotiate that turn cleanly. And no matter how good a position I am in traffic there, if I'm anywhere close to another car, I lose out in a big way.

neon_duke
That's correct - in the counterclockwise direction, Turn 1 is the left dogleg followed by the right hand Turn 2 and the little chute running down to Turn 3, the sharp (90 degree +) left with the rock wall at the apex. The JGTC Skylines, having finally gotten up to full boost on the long front straight, all pile directly into that turn like a freight train. Even the NSXs, which normally drive a little better, can't negotiate that turn cleanly. And no matter how good a position I am in traffic there, if I'm anywhere close to another car, I lose out in a big way.

I think you should sit behind them for the first lap on that corner, then establish some sort of a lead. Seems like the only way...

vipersan
lol :). Yeah, but still, you just gotta try be a better man ... :)

lol I try but sometimes I just have to go on a mission and force the AI off the road and pin him against the wall until he submits! :cheers: That just reminded me of "Daytona USA: Kamikaze Edition" , me and a buncha friends would do the Daytona USA link battle at Playdium and whenever someone got fudged over or were losing harsh, they'd turn around and drive backwards :) I'm tellin' you, there's nothin' more hilarious than a buncha guys freakin' out cuz there's a car launching at you at 200mph in the opposite direction.

One thing about the AI on a lot of tracks is a major problem. I used to try to have a car equal to the AI, and to win with better driving, but the AI are so erratic it's impossible to drive well in their midst. I've ended up just taking boosted up cars so I can leave them behind on the straights.

Civicbus
me and a buncha friends would do the Daytona USA link battle at Playdium and whenever someone got fudged over or were losing harsh, they'd turn around and drive backwards :) I'm tellin' you, there's nothin' more hilarious than a buncha guys freakin' out cuz there's a car launching at you at 200mph in the opposite direction.

LOL that is good one :D. I remember that have done that in Viper Racing. And it was hillarius becouse they would brake in panic and spin out just not to hit me :D

Back