How am I driving?

• Thread starter robgroove
  • 31 comments
United Kingdom
Nottingham / UK
robgroove
Had a Nations cup race tonight and upon watching the replay I noticed a competitor smashed his car into the end of the pit wall.

Watch the video and please share your thoughts, I'm interested to see what this community's opinions are.

Last edited:
Well I watched with the sound off because I'm watching AGDQ at the moment but it seems like you lunged on them pretty savagely going into the corner, but once they're stuck on the outside line they ran themself into the pit wall, they should have just backed off a bit and fall in behind you and lunge you back at the end of the straight.

Would be better to see it from onboard cameras. Whatever button you use to change camera angle while driving is the same one for replays.

Like meekrab said, what happened at the corner may have contributed to what happened next, but its hard to say from that camera angle.
There seems to be a glitch in my replays and sometimes I cant change the camera view.

There was a bit of rubbing as you passed him but nothing bad. He gets himself into a position where he is off track and has no where to go. It was stupid to try and nudge you like that as it was never going to end well. The smart thing to do would be to back off and try to get you back at the next corner. He chose not to do the smart thing.
You had track position, he went off track to try and take that position back and failed. Not your fault.
Racing incident

Well I watched with the sound off because I'm watching AGDQ at the moment but it seems like you lunged on them pretty savagely going into the corner, but once they're stuck on the outside line they ran themself into the pit wall, they should have just backed off a bit and fall in behind you and lunge you back at the end of the straight.
Not sure if lunge is the right word for the way I passed him. He ran wide and I out-broke him on the last turn, he then lost track position. In my opinion.

Had a Nations cup race tonight and upon watching the replay I noticed a competitor smashed his car into the end of the pit wall.

Watch the video and please share your thoughts, I'm interested to see what this community's opinions are.

It would have been best to have left a car width, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in that you thought you were past, or that he might have eased off a bit on exit. You see real life pro drivers do this who know better, which is just bad sport IMO.

At 0:39 it seems you hit him from behind, seeing as his car unsteatles and wabbles under braking. It looks to me like you dive bombed into the last corner, hitting the brakes too late, not accounting for the extra speed of the slipstream effect.

That's when all started (in this video). I'd say you pushed to pass and whatever happened in corner exit is irrelevant or inconsequential.

You should have made de video with the camera from behind your car from beginning to end, including your inputs.

Not sure if lunge is the right word for the way I passed him. He ran wide and I out-broke him on the last turn, he then lost track position. In my opinion.
You're multiple car lengths behind before the braking zone and decide to go for the pass anyway, I'm not sure if there's any other word for it than lunge. You see the AMG as 'wide' but they're taking the racing line because you're not close enough to pass safely.

As zzz_pt says it also looks like there might have been contact under braking, which if true is clearly your fault.

Sorry, but this is pure attention seeking. You've quite clearly gone out of your way to push him off the track in the process of overtaking, left him now space to rejoin, and then intentionally refused to leave him space so you can ram him into the pit wall. Unless you had your sound completely off, there is no "I didn't know he was there".

you not really ahead on corner exit and you'd be even less ahead than the video shows if you had left him the space to not run off cause you'd have had to hold a bit longer before full throttle.

You're multiple car lengths behind before the braking zone and decide to go for the pass anyway, I'm not sure if there's any other word for it than lunge. You see the AMG as 'wide' but they're taking the racing line because you're not close enough to pass safely.

As zzz_pt says it also looks like there might have been contact under braking, which if true is clearly your fault.
id say the entry is fine he dives into it and carefully hugs the inside around apex with no significant contact. but after apex he decides he's alone on the track

Last edited by a moderator:
id say the entry is fine he dives into it and carefully hugs the inside around apex with no significant contact. but after apex he decides he's alone on the track

It looks like he pumps into the AMG.

I am going to say it looks like you just ran him off. Even if it is a clean approach and you are alongside coming through the turn it is still dirty to just go right to the edge of the track forcing him to either brake or get run off the track. You have to learn spacing. Or expect this to make you a reputation where you are going to get treated the same.

Your fault mostly. Yes, you were going to make space for him eventually but he couldn't have known that and probably thought you were going to force him into the pit lane (thus the nudges). Yes, you were clearly ahead (half of a car length) but he was still right there next to you. You must have seen that on the radar. Next time you decide to overtake someone on the inside, don't push them wide and make sure to leave enough space for them afterwards. Someone might say it was dirty but i just see it as a rookie mistake. It happens. The end.

Last edited:

From the views we see this with it looks like you did nothing wrong. The green car slides way up offline in the corner then has 4 wheels off the track, in real life he is already off the gas, in a video game where you dont pay for car or human damage people rarely lift. It also appears that the green car is using a DS4, it looks like the lights blink while turning from pushing down on the joystick. It is much more difficult to make fine adjustments using a pad instead of a wheel, some people can but from watching most cant. In my opinion if you want to race on a video game buy the proper driving equipment, it can only help. I suppose it is partially PD's fault by designing help into the game for DS4 users. PD wants everyone to be able to race yet when it comes to their broadcast live events everyone must use a wheel. Go figure.

I've said it before, but..... the game needs defined rules so everyone has the same expectation of what constitutes correct behaviour. Look at the contrasting opinions in this thread, there is no way either driver can know what the other driver expects of them.

From the rules here, the OP was in the right:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/
The car on the outside has its nose behind the nose of the car on the inside on corner exit, therefore it has to give way (section 7 in the article linked above). However, in practice, I'd say it's more common in GTS for people to expect to be given space for any amount of overlap, on both corner entry and exit.

First of all ... I second the poster above. Technically OP has the right to the racing line on corner exit because he's clearly ahead.
However, the video doesn't show the corner entry, sadly. If OP hit the other car there ( and basically I fully trust @FPV MIC , he even heard it ),
that's a game changer then.
Maybe @robgroove can provide a roof cam replay, despite the glitch ;) ...

Imo the cornering was fine. That’s a tough hairpin to begin with.

I do agree that you should have adjusted your line and give him some space especially after you ran him off. You also could have moved away from that white line sooner.

AMG could have backed off a bit but the racer was probably panicking and trying not to go into the pits.

First of all ... I second the poster above. Technically OP has the right to the racing line on corner exit because he's clearly ahead.
However, the video doesn't show the corner entry, sadly. If OP hit the other car there ( and basically I fully trust @FPV MIC , he even heard it ),
that's a game changer then.
Maybe @robgroove can provide a roof cam replay, despite the glitch ;) ...
I also agree on the corner exit part of this, but on corner entry...

The Merc is bumped (imo) and gets knocked off it's line here:
Bump 1.png

and there is an audible bump sound that is also noticeable on this (it's the green line just after the red line) that coincides with the Merc's change of direction:
Bump.png

We don't get a good view, nor does this show what happens on the other persons screen (which could be very different), so it's almost impossible to ascertain who really is at fault. But as has been stated, we really don't have any rules except whether the game gives you a penalty or not. :dopey:

I've said it before, but..... the game needs defined rules so everyone has the same expectation of what constitutes correct behaviour. Look at the contrasting opinions in this thread, there is no way either driver can know what the other driver expects of them.

From the rules here, the OP was in the right:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/
The car on the outside has its nose behind the nose of the car on the inside on corner exit, therefore it has to give way (section 7 in the article linked above). However, in practice, I'd say it's more common in GTS for people to expect to be given space for any amount of overlap, on both corner entry and exit.

Rules.. no Rules. or just... Racing Etiquette??

Want to know about racing Etiquette???

well .. I´m sure you all will find lots of infos and inspiration in this "old" GT Planet thread :

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ng-behaviour-how-gts-should-be-played.375408/

Imo the cornering was fine. That’s a tough hairpin to begin with.

I do agree that you should have adjusted your line and give him some space especially after you ran him off. You also could have moved away from that white line sooner.

AMG could have backed off a bit but the racer was probably panicking and trying not to go into the pits.
He had no need to adjust his line after the corner. Yes there was a little contact but the Merc driver, instead of backing off a little to avoid running wide, just keeps his foot down. He made his own problem there. The car in front does not need to give way to the car behind.

@robgroove
At first I too thought you made contact on corner entry...
So I went ahead and youtube'd your full race upload, but only watched the lap prior this, and then the lap this occurred.
Funny how the lap prior, at this same corner, his car behaves in the same manner, even tho you are no where near close enough to make any contact.
So, I'm going to go on your word that contact was not made, and say he does something strange on corner entry to get a great run out, which on the previous lap he does just that.
That said;
Previous lap;
He leaves the inside wide open, making that odd move, you go inside, deep, and and get a good nose under him, and let him go on exit.
Lap/corner in question;
He does the same again, but this time you are wayyyy closer, and as a result get well ahead at about the time you are starting to breath onto the throttle, and are half a car out on him on corner exit... even if you cannot see/hear him, unless he is blind, he can clearly see you are out on him.
So, previous lap, much further back, and get a nose under... this lap much closer and get position...
Well done.
And, what the heck was he doing leaving you that line knowing what happened the lap prior?
Also cannot help but notice when I pause the video (linked at the top of this thread) at 1.59, it's pretty clear who has been racing naughty, and who has been racing nice... so him trying to ram you out of the way is not a surprise, and, if I'd spent 6 laps watching him behave similarly, I guess I'd not feel compelled "give" him anything other than what you did... an opportunity for him to get out of the throttle and continue racing.
Instead he he tried to use his car to move you off the line you earned and paid the price.

Merc extends the exit onto the start of the pit lane (quickest line when it's done right) with the OP inside but they also don't make room for the Merc to come back on track in a timely manner. Extending the exit seems to be the preferred line and after watching the recent FiA race there, the people who're forced to take a tighter line leave room for people coming back on track way before that pit wall.

A little bit naughty by both (one extending and the other reluctant to give space) but we've all seen much worse.

Merc extends the exit onto the start of the pit lane (quickest line when it's done right) with the OP inside but they also don't make room for the Merc to come back on track in a timely manner. Extending the exit seems to be the preferred line and after watching the recent FiA race there, the people who're forced to take a tighter line leave room for people coming back on track way before that pit wall.

A little bit naughty by both (one extending and the other reluctant to give space) but we've all seen much worse.
That might be the quickest line but it’s off track. If you leave the track you must rejoin safely. It wasn’t naughty to not give him room, he was not obliged to give way. You can’t always take your usual/best line if there is a car already in that space.

That might be the quickest line but it’s off track.

Nope. It isn't. Not in the literal sense.

If you leave the track you must rejoin safely. It wasn’t naughty to not give him room, he was not obliged to give way.

Parallel cars running at the same speed makes a safe rejoin a team effort. The sensible thing to do is to let them back on. Easy enough to do with the full width of the straight available.

You can’t always take your usual/best line if there is a car already in that space.

It was on the straight when the Merc tried to merge and the car's were almost side by side. There's no 'best line' on a straight.

I'm still not sure why the Merc was squeezed. If that's me in the GT-R, I move to the left quicker knowing I'm going to be at T1 first anyway and there's no incident, if I'm in the Merc, I probably do the first bump trying to get back on the correct side of the wall before backing out - and then maybe send the GT-R to the gravel realm at T1 for trying to unnecessarily push me into the pit wall (that's what it would have seemed like I guess, hard to tell without on-board)

Just two drivers being too stubborn in my opinion, an eminently avoidable incident, both to blame

Back