How close to the real car, the same car in GT6 is?

• Thread starter PAKFA
  • 43 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I have a question: does anyone drive a car in real life that we have in game? How close to the real car, the same one in GT6 is?

What I'm interested in is a pretty powerful RR, MR or FR car, from let's say Nissan 350Z/370Z/M3 and upwards. Not an FF car like VW GTI... I can drive all stock FF cars in this game with one hand.

I want to know, how they compare in this game to real life, as stock.

The reason I'm asking is that 90% of the stock cars in GT6 are in-drivable for me, those that are RR, MR or FR, and I blame this on the game, my cheap wheel and how far from reality driving sims still are, not to mention GT6 is a simcade, and I consider it a grade lower in terms of physics simulation than Assetto Corsa, for example.

You would think that after 12 years of driving in real life 4 FF cars and 1 FR, driving a stock car in a "simulator" would be easy, but it's a pretty hard and scary thing to do, and I don't think it should be this way...

Because of this I need to tweak/upgrade or tune a lot of cars to make them drivable for me.

Sure if I had (or anyone, for that matter) a simulation rig like this one, if would be much closer to reality and much easier to relate to real driving, but I doubt there are many who can afford this:

Anyway, maybe someone can answer my original question...

I do a lot of track days, and FF cars are still oddly too "easy" to maintain control in GT6, technically getting a faster lap time would of course take skill, just picking up the driving process of it is easy.

I have driven a Mx-5, a Mustang GT, the Honda Prelude (my baby lude IRL), the GTR R35, and the EVO X (NA model), along with a 2008 model BMW M3.

Now in game, the Mx-5 handles quite similar in my opinion to real life, easy and precise steering, controllable due to its lightness, can break traction if you want to but overall pretty spot on. 10/10

Mustang GT, handles like a rock in the game, badly switches from understeer to oversteer when you try to power through. In real life, it doesn't handle like an FXX but this whole American basic "go in a straight line" steering is overrated, its not amazing but not bad either. 4/10 badly modeled in game.

Honda Prelude, FF cars are too "easy mode" in GT6, in real life it is renowned as one of the better handling FF cars, that being said, it understeers a little less in GT6 than in real life. 7/10

GTR R35, took one of these out for a spin, pretty close, superior steering, but it seems to have a bit more understeer and a heavier feel in game than in real life. The GTR was built for lap times not straight speed, but its almost as if it was "nerfed" in game. 8/10

EVO X, same in speed and steering feel, but at cornering it somehow breaks traction a little bit easier than real life but maintaining and correcting steering either due to the computer or driver input it similar to real life. 9/10

M3 is somewhat straight on with its easy and precise steering, its supposed to be weighty with its lack of torque for a V8 engine, but you don't notice it just as in real life. Enters corners late and still comes out alive in game and in real life, traction can be maintained with ease whether you want to enter a corner cleanly or powerslide it through. 9 or 10/10.

These are only my opinions, of course my driving style will be different from others in real life and in game, I hope this helps you though.

I do a lot of track days, and FF cars are still oddly too "easy" to maintain control in GT6, technically getting a faster lap time would of course take skill, just picking up the driving process of it is easy.

I have driven a Mx-5, a Mustang GT, the Honda Prelude (my baby lude IRL), the GTR R35, and the EVO X (NA model), along with a 2008 model BMW M3.

Now in game, the Mx-5 handles quite similar in my opinion to real life, easy and precise steering, controllable due to its lightness, can break traction if you want to but overall pretty spot on. 10/10

Mustang GT, handles like a rock in the game, badly switches from understeer to oversteer when you try to power through. In real life, it doesn't handle like an FXX but this whole American basic "go in a straight line" steering is overrated, its not amazing but not bad either. 4/10 badly modeled in game.

Honda Prelude, FF cars are too "easy mode" in GT6, in real life it is renowned as one of the better handling FF cars, that being said, it understeers a little less in GT6 than in real life. 7/10

GTR R35, took one of these out for a spin, pretty close, superior steering, but it seems to have a bit more understeer and a heavier feel in game than in real life. The GTR was built for lap times not straight speed, but its almost as if it was "nerfed" in game. 8/10

EVO X, same in speed and steering feel, but at cornering it somehow breaks traction a little bit easier than real life but maintaining and correcting steering either due to the computer or driver input it similar to real life. 9/10

M3 is somewhat straight on with its easy and precise steering, its supposed to be weighty with its lack of torque for a V8 engine, but you don't notice it just as in real life. Enters corners late and still comes out alive in game and in real life, traction can be maintained with ease whether you want to enter a corner cleanly or powerslide it through. 9 or 10/10.

These are only my opinions, of course my driving style will be different from others in real life and in game, I hope this helps you though.
Thanks Andy for your feedback.
So basically the reproduction of simulation of the cars in GT6 ranges from spot on to horribly inaccurate... well, I was kinda expecting this, but it's good to know that there are cars that perform very close to the real deal.

I just have a few more question for you if I may: for the cars that are pretty close to the real ones, the one's you drove, let's say the MX-5 since you rated it 10/10, can you do the same things in game as in real life? Is your driving style the same in game as in reality? How about your lap times?

Thanks Andy for your feedback.
So basically the reproduction of simulation of the cars in GT6 ranges from spot on to horribly inaccurate... well, I was kinda expecting this, but it's good to know that there are cars that perform very close to the real deal.

I just have a few more question for you if I may: for the cars that are pretty close to the real ones, the one's you drove, let's say the MX-5 since you rated it 10/10, can you do the same things in game as in real life? Is your driving style the same in game as in reality? How about your lap times?

Now I've taken the Mx-5 to race tracks that haven't been modeled in game so lap times would be out of the question for that car, I can do the same things as I would in real life. If I wanted to make the tail step out upon entering a corner, the same exact techniques and throttle responses in real life would apply in game, with the same results. My driving style is similar to reality of course as I follow the obvious outer inner outer way of going on the track, but virtually my lap times are a few seconds faster as always. Of course the line I follow is the same in both situations, virtually I would follow the line much faster and more aggressively. The Mx-5 was also very surprising because with other cars, you have to learn its reactions and its movements, but with this car, my real world experience with it would apply as it reacted and controlled exactly as it would in real life giving me a better time with it.

If you want a lap time comparison the M3 I drove was on Laguna Seca, I just need to find my original lap times sheet for that day, and then run some laps in game and compare.

Now I've taken the Mx-5 to race tracks that haven't been modeled in game so lap times would be out of the question for that car, I can do the same things as I would in real life. If I wanted to make the tail step out upon entering a corner, the same exact techniques and throttle responses in real life would apply in game, with the same results. My driving style is similar to reality of course as I follow the obvious outer inner outer way of going on the track, but virtually my lap times are a few seconds faster as always. Of course the line I follow is the same in both situations, virtually I would follow the line much faster and more aggressively. The Mx-5 was also very surprising because with other cars, you have to learn its reactions and its movements, but with this car, my real world experience with it would apply as it reacted and controlled exactly as it would in real life giving me a better time with it.

If you want a lap time comparison the M3 I drove was on Laguna Seca, I just need to find my original lap times sheet for that day, and then run some laps in game and compare.
Thanks again, very insightful and interesting at the same time.
You just raised my hopes a little about GT6 and the future of GT in general.

Sure, the lap times would be a nice comparison only if it's not to much trouble for you, but I'm a little disappointed that no one else can or wants to compare their real life experience with driving in this game...

Maybe there aren't many who can do that comparison, that must be a reason.

Thanks again, very insightful and interesting at the same time.
You just raised my hopes a little about GT6 and the future of GT in general.

Sure, the lap times would be a nice comparison only if it's not to much trouble for you, but I'm a little disappointed that no one else can or wants to compare their real life experience with driving in this game...

Maybe there aren't many who can do that comparison, that must be a reason.

Racetracks are very far and in between for many people. I'm no exception, even though I live in California which has no shortage of race tracks they are very far from each other. Willow Springs and Laguna Seca are hours away and I usually take the whole 1-2 days off to actually be able to have a track day on it. I will continue looking for that time sheet in the meantime.

I own and drive a 1988 MR2 (18000+ miles through sun and snow), and the physics are completely off. There is simply no way to get a stock AW11 to slide around like it does in the game. Imagine the joy I receive from reading this forum and seeing people standing up for the way these cars handle. I honestly saw someone write something along the lines of "the physics aren't broken, your driving is broken" when someone else brought it up.

Anyway, the vehicle modeling is off as well. The vents on the engine lid aren't even close to what's actually on the car.

However, acceleration is nearly dead-on when adjusting to US power output, and braking is relatively accurate as well. Overall I'd give it a 3/10 because the most notable part of the car in real life (the handling) is ruined, the body is incorrect, but straight line performance is similar. Huge disappointment overall.

I own and drive a 1988 MR2 (18000+ miles through sun and snow), and the physics are completely off. There is simply no way to get a stock AW11 to slide around like it does in the game. Imagine the joy I receive from reading this forum and seeing people standing up for the way these cars handle. I honestly saw someone write something along the lines of "the physics aren't broken, your driving is broken" when someone else brought it up.

Anyway, the vehicle modeling is off as well. The vents on the engine lid aren't even close to what's actually on the car.

However, acceleration is nearly dead-on when adjusting to US power output, and braking is relatively accurate as well. Overall I'd give it a 3/10 because the most notable part of the car in real life (the handling) is ruined, the body is incorrect, but straight line performance is similar. Huge disappointment overall.

I agree, MR2s are horribly modeled in this game, they make it seem as if an MR2 can't stay on the track and slides with each turn, as if driving an MR2 is suicidal... They're either on target or off, no in betweens I think.

I've had some seat time in an AW11 and I can honestly say I have not spin off the road IRL just from looking at the brake pedal....

I thought the FF car handles quite similar to their real counterpart...my MK6 GTI feels quite similar to the MK5 in the game. And different FF does seem to have their same differences like the real cars. ST feels noticeably more pointable than the stock GTI. My actual car has a pretty fat rear bar for autoX and it a bit more lively than the one in game...

If more people will/would contribute with their opinions here based on their real life experience, I was thinking to make a list of the cars we "review" here. Like a subjective list with marks/scores.

What do you guys think?

I've had some seat time in an AW11 and I can honestly say I have not spin off the road IRL just from looking at the brake pedal....

I thought the FF car handles quite similar to their real counterpart...my MK6 GTI feels quite similar to the MK5 in the game. And different FF does seem to have their same differences like the real cars. ST feels noticeably more pointable than the stock GTI. My actual car has a pretty fat rear bar for autoX and it a bit more lively than the one in game...
So if you would rate the GTI in game based on your GTI what would the score be out of ten points?

Good question OP. This is a bit of a surprise to me. I had hoped that 'Simulation' would be just that. Especially with the GT Acadamy aspect. Still good to hear which cars do make the grade though.

I've driven karts which handle very very similar IMO, and then some not so relevant FF cars, like the VW Golf IV or the SEAT Ibiza, which handle quite good in real life and they are quite nimble, I'd say better than in GT, but of course, i've never driven 'em with slick tires. Gotta compare with everything stock...and no clue what level of TC/ABS or other aid they have in real life...

The only notable car in GT6 that I've driven is the BMW E46 M3. I can't say what the handling is like, but the straight-line speed is exactly the same.

Fortunately, the real one sounds like an E46 M3 and not the E92.

Last edited:
I've owned an MX-5 2006 model (mark iii) and think it is pretty spot on with the Roadster (only mark iii in the game)

I have had the "good fortune" to have driven a former girlfriend's 2cv extensively years ago and they are pretty close.

I've driven a Ferrari 360 a few times and it has a very similar feel to the 430 in the game which was it's replacement. Again, that felt pretty close.

Lamborghini Gallardo - more understeer than in the game in real life. I was quite disappointed with the real thing.

Porsche 911 gt3 (996) - I think a similar equivalent would be the RUF RGT. It was certainly reminiscent of the handling and sound.

The old and new 2.0 litre model Renault Clio/Lutecias are pretty close to both of the similar age clios I've driven. Both very grounded like the real thing. Shame they haven't got the new model in the game yet as that feels quite different.

A friend has an AMG C63 and has driven it in my game and reckons in game the car feels very close especially with traction control off!

A friend who has driven the Aston Martin Vantage (90's version) has also tried it on my ps3 and felt it was close. He was disappointed he couldn't drive it like an automatic though. He loved the sound of it especially at low revs. He is a huge car buff but not a gamer. He reckons gt6 is the best he's tried and he has tried a few including Forza 4, GT5 and a pc SIM a few years ago (he couldn't remember what it was called)

So if you would rate the GTI in game based on your GTI what would the score be out of ten points?

Probably 8 or 9....

In GT5 it was already pretty close(probably a 7), but the GT6 FF cars in general drives a lot more like FF cars in that the throttle actually can help you change line...

A big thing we forget is the invulnerability and sense of speed the game gives. In game, you don't think twice about pitching a car into a corner at 120mph. IRL, most of us wouldn't even try that (especially knowing it's a 100mph corner and we're careening into a wall!). You think nothing of pinning the throttle on a Viper mid-turn, slamming brakes 100% and turning full lock, or taking a million dollar supercar over Flugplatz.

Some of what you experience in game that seems "inaccurate" is because you're pushing cars way beyond what anyone would ever do in real life, even under racing conditions. R35's will understeer in real life, but few of us will ever throw that thing into a corner hard enough to make it happen. Mustangs do "snap" between under and oversteer at the limit IRL.

The game isn't perfect, but it is close, and closer for some cars, as mentioned above. Just remember, we use these cars in a way we'd never attempt IRL.

I’ve owned a Porsche 996 for the past 6 years, and I’ve covered over 80k miles in it during that time. It’s seen the other side of 170mph on occasion and also done some track work.

The RUF RGT in GT6 would be significantly faster, but the balance wouldn’t be massively different. If anything, the RUF should have a lot more grip overall as it’s on sports hards (MPSS) in the game and my car is on MPS as of this weekend (previously I’ve had P Zeros and Conti C2’s). In addition, the RUF runs wider rear tyres than my car (at least a 285 vs 265) so should be more stable.

I recently had my car aligned, so I know it’s set up right.

In my car, as long as my initial application is in a straight line, I can trail brake heavily from 100mph without fear of the rear braking away as I begin to turn and bleed pressure (this is in the dry - need to be more careful in the wet). The RUF will oversteer quite easily if you do this.

In my car, if I ease the throttle mid corner when the car is laterally loaded and gently understeering (typical m id corner balance in a 996), I can feel the weight shift back on to the front wheels. At this stage I can go quite hard on the gas and the balance then stays fairly neutral from mid corner. To get the rear to slide requires the car to be under a very high lateral load and a big and sharp lift mid corner, followed by an immediate application of a lot of throttle. This isn’t really doable on the roads as you’d quickly get yourself locked up.

The RUF has a similar balance to my car, but its reactions are massively exaggerated. Overall it is significantly more unstable than my car, even when I detune it to the same power/weight and replace the stock diff with a custom one at 5,5,5 (closest to my car, which doesn’t have a LSD).

Having said all of that, the RUF runs c.7.30 at the Ring stock in GT6, and a real 996 GT3 mk1 runs high 7.5x (it was Walters Rhorl 1st sub 8 min road car), so there’s clearly a big performance variation vs the real car.

Beware of comparing your "superman with tungsten carbide testicles" no-fear, no consequence laptime to one where someone had to put their life and machine on the line. 20 seconds on that track isn't even a 5% difference. It's totally reasonable he went 5% slower than possible to prevent any sort of off-track adventures.

I agree with your sentiment though, the RUF's especially feel nowhere near as planted as real life counterparts during braking. I've driven 911's old and new, boxters, carreras, etc (It's fun being an independent contractor for exotic car dealerships, used to install lo-jacks, which all American insurance companies require on exotics these days). The more modern ones are shockingly stable and well planted, you have to provoke them to slide.

Have you tried now that they "fixed" MR/RR cars and their instability issues in this recent update?

Have you tried now that they "fixed" MR/RR cars and their instability issues in this recent update?

MR/RR feel exactly the same to me... I don't believe PD changed anything in the physics in 1.03 update.

So it's not just me then...I couldn't tell a difference. Maybe the "snap" was less violent when traction is broken, but I tried a half dozen MR/RR cars last night (RUF RGT, NSX, FXX, Huarayagagha, F430, no AIDS at all) and they all wanted to spin and pivot around the front wheels whenever braking, regardless of brake balance. FR/FF/AWD cars didn't possess this trait. Even tried lightening a car or two and ballasting until 50:50 weight distribution, didn't resolve the issue although it did make it less dramatic.

Speaking of, RA functions on G27 (online) still don't work right. I can play with "toggles" like ASM, but "sliders" (brakes, torque, ABS) don't function. Makes it really annoying when you just want to dial in brake bias, or throw your AWD car to 30/70 from 40/60 or something minor like that.

(I did have a great time in an STI Spec C at 500PP on SH with no aids, however. What a fun car to beat the balls off of! It may not be perfectly "realistic", but it certainly felt like a well motivated and sporty AWD car that wants nothing more than to turn in hard and come out fast. )

All games, GT, Forza, AC, iRacing etc etc, none of them are correct.
It's just their interpretation of driving.
It is easier to drive IRL at speed limit speeds than in game but harder to drive on the edge IRL than in game.

You are missing a massive part of driving/racing when playing all these games - the feel through the seat of your pants and g-forces!
Not forgetting aural cues, heart stopping noises from the car etc..

It is easier to drive IRL at speed limit speeds than in game but harder to drive on the edge IRL than in game.

You are missing a massive part of driving/racing when playing all these games - the feel through the seat of your pants and g-forces!

All very true. There's nothing quite like the real thing. And being able to feel a car starting to slide into oversteer or the tires starting to lose grip and understeer, is something you can detect in a real car, through a number of different stimuli, much quicker than you usually can in a racing sim. So in that sense, it's actually a bit easier to drive a real car in some instances simply because you an often predict and catch behavior rather than reacting to it when it's already too late, as is often the case in sims. Some developers have tried to compensate by increasing the sensations of force feedback to better convey understeer or oversteer, to varying degrees of success, but even the best simulator out there can't do the real experience justice. Just the missing element of fear alone is a huge. From a simple seat of the pants experience, it's clear that some cars in GT are better than others. And I think where GT is a bit weak compared to some other PC sims is in the tire modeling and how the tires interact with the road. But for a console game it's pretty good. And without comparing real world data, these impressions become purely subjective.

Over the years, I've driven a lot of cars IRL that are also in GT6. But of course as @andy0a, @Stotty and others can attest to, there's a very distinct difference between driving a car on public roads, even when being driven quickly and aggressively, than there is between taking a car out on a closed track and really pushing it, over multiple laps, to the limit of your ability. And there at the limit of grip and adhesion, when friction and centrifugal forces are playing ping-pong, is where you truly meet a car for the first time and fully understand it's handling and balance and grip.

I've had the opportunity to drive a lot of cars represented in the GT series, but not under conditions which can be used to really compare the handling and balance. And this thread isn't about engine sounds so I won't go there. :sly: I used to have a 2000 MX5, a 2002 Mini Cooper S, both of which are in GT5 & GT6, and did a few track days but it was many years ago now and my memories and sensations are no longer accurate or reliable. (Although I think one thing GT clearly doesn't get right with FF cars is the feeling and effect of torque steer).

Last summer I bought a 2013 FR-S (now garaged for the winter) and my first track day was unfortunately cancelled literally at the 11th hour. But from my time spent behind the wheel, it's the closest comparison I can make at the moment. And in brief, I'd say, "not bad". Although I think in general terms, they could do more to enrich the sense of FFB and there doesn't seem to be as much communication between the wheel and the road as there is in the real car. (I'm using a T500 in GT6). On comfort soft tires, which are probably closer to what the GT86 rides on from the factory, I think the sense of understeer is probably a bit too pronounced a bit too quickly but at the same time, actual levels of grip remain a bit too high (if that makes any sense). And in general the movement of the virtual car is perhaps a bit too docile and composed. And they could do a better job to convey weight transfer, whether in transient maneuvers, braking or even during gear changes. Changing gears, mid corner, while at the limit of grip can be a bit harrowing in real life and it's barely felt in the game. But I suppose that goes for any car and not just the FR-S.

I should be able to offer better impressions in the spring.

Oh ya?.. so studios are busting their behinds for decades all for nothing.. NOBODY is getting anything correct? What exactly do you suggest needs to be injected into the physics modeling to become the 'ultimate virtual experience'?

Driving on the absolute edge can be very hard in game, but is it a 100% replication of the real life vehicle behaviour? Maybe not, but we're awfully close in many examples. I also wouldn't say it's a cakewalk to drive Sportscars in RL.. there's a lot of underlying understanding you should have of your cars balance behaviour if you want to call driving at 'speed limits' easy..

I really dislike it when people bring this into to the sim vs. reality discussion.. I mean ya obviously there's zero G-force when you're sitting infront of a screen..

Honestly I think the people that best adapt to the sensation of speed and feeling of the G-forces you 'would be experiencing' while sitting sationary at home on their couch or (better yet, a dedicated setup with wheel), are those who actually drive cars fast and on the limit in RL.. I know I can adapt incredibly well to this with 'imagination'.. and yes that's all we'll ever have is imagination. However we have wheels that give excellent cues as to what's happening G-force wise and (debatably overdone) tire sounds that really help the sim-racer.. I don't know what else any developer can do except refine these even further.. clearly Gran Turismo can work on their engine and transmission sounds further to have even more of a direct and immediate feel. The T500RS brings car balance definitely a notch closer to 'your senses'. So really anyone who wants to complain about realism but doesn't even have the proper tools is going to be dissapointed.

GT6 is very very good in the physics department, obviously stories like @Stotty and also myself I would say yes there are still questionable behavious especially at higher speeds on the limit where perhaps tires would be so forgiving.. in which case as you say to be driving on the edge (where racers find themselves throughout most of the race) is something that is probably not completely accurate and refined enough.. I would think that takes some serious processing power, but that what the future is for. :P

Edit: good post @jjaisli

I hate the current tire rating they use in the game, it leads to a very common mistake, that despite a tire is called the same, has the same thread, sometimes it has rear and front compounds, and even diferent rear thread, so it produces handling characteristics to enhance the cars hability, not handicap.
On the game, tires feel like the enemy, when they are actually one of the driver's best friend.
A second criticism, about the names, is specially race tires where you chose the compound acording to track grip and temperature, soft tires dont work everywhere particularly hot tracks. Maybe a disclaymer saying hard are for X° And abrasive(whatever) asphalt, etc.
If they had only 3, street, sport and race customizing it for each car (diferent compounds auto) would be better. A second option would be tires with diferent "strong points" like confort drift, confort handling and confort grip, with tradeoffs and diferent characteristics. representing diferent brands,not diferent models...

I've driven karts which handle very very similar IMO, and...

I have one issue with this. From my experience, as enjoyable as karts are to drive in GT5/GT6, there is one very basic, very fundamental flaw. The real karts that I've driven only had brakes on the rear axle. (Maybe it's different with shifter karts or more powerful karts?) Where as the brakes on the karts in GT works just like how it does on real cars with front and rear brakes. The game doesn't seem to make a distinction and because of this difference, the karts in the game behave quite differently than they do in real life, IMO.

I have one issue with this. From my experience, as enjoyable as karts are to drive in GT5/GT6, there is one very basic, very fundamental flaw. The real karts that I've driven only had brakes on the rear axle. (Maybe it's different with shifter karts or more powerful karts?) Where as the brakes on the karts in GT works just like how it does on real cars with front and rear brakes. The game doesn't seem to make a distinction and because of this difference, the karts in the game behave quite differently than they do in real life, IMO.

Shifter karts are scary. I mean that in a "wow that looks immensely dangerous and fun, but I want to try it" way. :D

A big thing we forget is the invulnerability and sense of speed the game gives. In game, you don't think twice about pitching a car into a corner at 120mph. IRL, most of us wouldn't even try that (especially knowing it's a 100mph corner and we're careening into a wall!).
I hear this brought up a lot, but I don't like to see it. Not to say it's not valid, but the fear factor has never been objectively measured to my knowledge. It wouldn't surprise me if in many cases it was much smaller than people think.

There is also a comparable fear factor of sorts in the game, and like the real life equivalent is can make people drive harder or softer. Some people probably feel a more competitive pressure, and really want to win. These people in real life and in game may be pushed harder by fear. If it only made you slow down, you'd have a whole lot less people driving over their limit thinking they can handle it.

Another issue is that seat time in game is cheap. It might be difficult for someone to transfer from GT5 to the real thing, but that's not a fair comparison when the person in question has had 100's of hours of virtual driving experience and none in real life.

I think that when it comes to virtual vs real lap comparison, the fear factor thing is best ignored. I think it skews results more than anything because no one has anyway to map it to results (that I've seen) and people love to blow it out of proportion (example, Clarkson's GT4 test had people swearing by GT4, and the physics changed drastically in GT5).

So it's not just me then...I couldn't tell a difference. Maybe the "snap" was less violent when traction is broken, but I tried a half dozen MR/RR cars last night (RUF RGT, NSX, FXX, Huarayagagha, F430, no AIDS at all) and they all wanted to spin and pivot around the front wheels whenever braking, regardless of brake balance. FR/FF/AWD cars didn't possess this trait. Even tried lightening a car or two and ballasting until 50:50 weight distribution, didn't resolve the issue although it did make it less dramatic.

Try comfort tyres. It makes everything a lot easier, especially regarding the "snap".

I hear this brought up a lot, but I don't like to see it. Not to say it's not valid, but the fear factor has never been objectively measured to my knowledge. It wouldn't surprise me if in many cases it was much smaller than people think.

There is also a comparable fear factor of sorts in the game, and like the real life equivalent is can make people drive harder or softer. Some people probably feel a more competitive pressure, and really want to win. These people in real life and in game may be pushed harder by fear. If it only made you slow down, you'd have a whole lot less people driving over their limit thinking they can handle it.

Another issue is that seat time in game is cheap. It might be difficult for someone to transfer from GT5 to the real thing, but that's not a fair comparison when the person in question has had 100's of hours of virtual driving experience and none in real life.

I think that when it comes to virtual vs real lap comparison, the fear factor thing is best ignored. I think it skews results more than anything because no one has anyway to map it to results (that I've seen) and people love to blow it out of proportion (example, Clarkson's GT4 test had people swearing by GT4, and the physics changed drastically in GT5).

I would like to see an objective measurement of the fear factor.
Maybe giving the same cheap sports car like a WRX or FT86 to a bunch of people and taking them to a cone slalom.
"You may total the car if you so wish"
"You will have to pay the repair bill for every single scratch"

I would say that in-game (and in professional racing), where we are allowed to fly on bump strips and curbs as much as we like with no penalty, there is a huge difference vs
Owning your $200,000 sports car and taking it to the track.
You're simply not going to cut the track as often in your own car because of the risk of suspension damage. In fact, you're going to try to avoid the edge of the track. So you have less "usable track space." So you will run slower times than you would in-game.

The issue then is professional racing.
I would say that people who get paid to race and get their suspension damage repaired for free, probably don't have much of a fear factor.

Last edited:
Back