How do I have fun RACING after doing all the menu books? Really looking for help.

United States
United States
Hi everyone,

First post here and I'm a little discouraged and bummed out. I've loved my time doing the menu books so much, the driving in this game is sublime and as someone new to sin racing and learning about cars it's been an amazing experience.

I've basically completed all menu books and I'm struggling now with finding meaningful racing content to do, I'm worried my time with the game has come to an end because I don't want to do online and its sad.

Here's the issue: I don't mind the slow grinding for credits, I don't mind just picking a car and racing the AI, making money slowly, learning my car and upgrading it and just taking things slow.

The problem is, I select either quick race at the highest difficulty or make my custom rules with boost on strong and the difficulty of the AI to the highest and what happens is in some cars even starting being all the way behind, I'll pass them in seconds and it ends of being a glorified time trial. Sometimes if I take a car that's not upgraded it may take a lap or two but I'll pass everyone anyway and then be in the same position as above.

For those who primarily plays single player and just want to race, is there any way to just pick a car I want to invest in and have meaningful races?

If I don't want to do the license tests or missions am I just basically done with the game now if I don't want to do online for racing? Surely In a racing game, one that haven't seen my absolute favorite, there's a way to pick your desired car and have at least somewhat meaningful races where you're not always in first place within a lap right?

Hopefully I'm just missing something here and someone has some ideas to help me get what I'm looking for, all I want to do is play the game more and have at least somewhat decent racing or even a reason to race.

Thank you.

Last edited:
After the menu books and all the other stuff is done. I go through all events and do them with every car that is eligible up to the pp limit. For WTC700/800, i do them in every Gr.4/3 car and see which can win stock. Im not a fan of upgrading cars to make them overpowered, but i do enjoy racing them stock. Obviously not for all events..

The more events/cars added, the more i can replay through it all. The game looks great, plays great. Goes well with a few cans of canadian club too 😁😁

I would recommend the licence tests, circuit experience and missions. They are all fun and make you improve your racing. The initial licence tests may be simplistic, but the later once are good fun imo.
I also golded all circuit races in the game. Maybe not your cup of tea, but I liked doing them.

[Edit]
Also, if you win races too easily, don't choose the fastest possible car for the race, but an adequate one. It makes the offline races more fun.

Last edited:
It seriously depends on the person what the best way to spend time in the game would be, after the menu books.

I've completed all missions, circuit experiences and licenses a long time ago, so then I was left with the task of finding stuff to do. I'm soon done with winning each race in the World Circuits, but my pastime has mainly been building cars for the WTC 600 Tokyo Expressway race.

It's not exactly something I enjoy doing, but alas, that's GT7 for me currently. Pretty much done and dusted.

Another option to consider is custom races. It takes some effort in coming up with the perfect recipe for a race, but if everything clicks, it can be a good time. Personally I haven't touched them yet.

Last edited:
The problem is, I select either quick race at the highest difficulty or make my custom rules with boost on strong and the difficulty of the AI to the highest and what happens is in some cars even starting being all the way behind, I'll pass them in seconds and it ends of being a glorified time trial.
I may be remembering this incorrectly but I think boost on weak is supposed to be better.

As for making your car less-competitive, just copy the default settings sheet, knock some power off with the power restrictor and save a new settings sheet with a title like like "650pp Custom Race".

Then once you've made a custom-race preset that fits this well, save that too.

Now you can load both presets on any track in Custom Race mode and get pretty-much the same challenge. Increase penalty settings if need be.

Last edited:
If I don't want to do the license tests or missions am I just basically done with the game now if I don't want to do online for racing? Surely In a racing game, one that haven't seen my absolute favorite, there's a way to pick your desired car and have at least somewhat meaningful races where you're not always in first place within a lap right?
License tests, missions and circuit experience are the best single player parts of the game IMO. Some of the missions include some good single player races especially the 1 hour races.

I don't know why you would not want to race online - for me winning one single online race is more satisfying than winning 50 single player races.

For me personally i after all the CE's Missions and Books my next goal was collecting All cars in the game, after i done that i tried daily racing, but i just can't have fun there with to much of a toxic enviroment there, but.... that prob has to do with my rating aswell, if you don't drive that much online they don't go up understandably ofcours.

Then found my real challenge in the Time trials, and is almost the only thing i'm doing, suddenly GT7 became full of competition for me because of the very quick guys we have participating here.

GT's strengths are contributed by procedural narrative, in that a person sets out a task of their own free will to achieve. It's something I learned in game dev studies when learning how people are able to put a lot of time into games like Minecraft or Assetto Corsa when these games are built as sandbox titles with no objectives.

I apply this to many games I played, usually those with no endgame content once I've completed the campaign.

May I ask why you don't want to race online?
He could easily have stage fright, or anxiety about doing well in races, considering he's new to simracing.

I heard this from someone else as well, they're simply not ready to step up. And I can't blame them either, especially with how dirty drivers are, especially in the lower DR's. It's basically hell to race online if you're not in at least B.

You can't tell me with a straight face that racing online is anywhere near enjoyable casually.

Last edited:
He could easily have stage fright, or anxiety about doing well in races, considering he's new to simracing.

I heard this from someone else as well, they're simply not ready to step up. And I can't blame them either, especially with how dirty drivers are, especially in the lower DR's. It's basically hell to race online if you're not in at least B.

You can't tell me with a straight face that racing online is anywhere near enjoyable casually.
I casually play online and I still enjoy it. I don't think things so personally. You have people from all over the world, with all kinds of connections, moving vehicles at highs speeds...things are going to happen. Are there people who don't respect the rules, absolutely, but I just know thats not the case a majority of the time so I won't let that ruin the game for me.

As far as not, "not being ready", or lets call it what it really is, being scared to lose...I'm going to be an old man and tell you a story. I had some friends that were drug dealers. All they did was sell drugs, smoke and play NBA2k. I use to go over there hang out and play and lose and lose and lose and lose and lose and lose and lose and lose and lose some more. But it went from 20 point loses, to 15 point loses, to 2 point loses, to wins. Next thing I know, I'm going to people's houses and THRASHING them. I didn't even own a console at the time. One day, Im at the drug dealers place and I catch a glimpse at their online record, they were approx. 3400-1400.

TL;DR: Don't be scared to lose, it actually does help you get better and most importantly, its a video game it doesn't matter. Even if someone spins you out, leave and find another race. Personally, I like to see how much of a comeback I can make from it. Come back from dead last to even 3rd feels boss, imo.

Also, Im 41 years old with a job, family, bills ect. I'll be glad to just tune a car a feel like driving and make 2 laps around Nürburgring. Its all an escape for me.

Now that I own every car, all the wheels, the paints, won every race on hard difficulty, golded every mission, every license test, etc. there really is no reason to continue with the single player side of the game. I’ve done sport for a bit and am a B/S driver. I usually start most races in 13th place and end in 8th place. So I get a little progress, but I’m nowhere close to getting on a podium. I likely never will get to that level unless I play a lot. The problem is that I get bored playing the same race, on the same track, in the same cars for a week straight. I play a couple races and I’m good. I don’t have a drive to keep playing like I did when I was in single player and grinding to 20M credits to buy a disappointing Legendary car.

I can’t complain, though. GT7 gave me 10 months of solid game play trying to beat and own everything. I have other games that get boring after a couple weeks. So I’ve moved on to other things. Nothing wrong with that.

This is basically exactly what it is, bluntly put I'm scared. Aside from worrying about my own performance more importantly I'm worried about causing other cars on the track to have a bad time or be put in a safety compromised position. The last thing I want to do is end up ramming someone accidentally or take a bad line and cost someone the time and effort they've put into the race.

Aside from the anxiety portion, there's also the fact that you hear horror stories of rammers and other behavior that make the ranks in which I would be starting in very unfavorable.

I guess other than ruining other people's time by making stupid mistakes the other primary concern is that right now I kind of want to just focus on learning the tracks, learning the cars, and everything else in between. Online seems alluring in one aspects but I also know I'm just not knowledgeable or skilled enough yet to really have fun in that type of environment, I'm still in the phase right now where I'm learning how to tune out certain behavior in cars based on how they drive, watching Skip Barbers go faster, learning why a car does what it does on the car track, etc.

Also kind of always been a single player focused person, I don't like dealing with other people very much as I know that when I do hit that skill level where I feel comfortable taking it online that I sure I'm going to run into many people who aren't going to make the experience very enjoyable.

I'm just way way too anxious and I wish I wasn't even in the new Forza where I'm a pretty decent driver I'm just so incredibly anxious to even do the online qualifier races.

I'm not worried about losing at all online, in fact, I wouldn't even bat an eye at it, being afraid to lose or worried about coming in last place isn't something that holds me back from the online portion at all, right now I'm still in the stage where even a race where I come in last can teach me a lot.

Being anxious and generally messing up a race for someone who's doing things correctly are the major concerns.

Apologies about the drawn out answer but there it is.

Last edited:
This is basically exactly what it is, bluntly put I'm scared. Aside from worrying about my own performance more importantly I'm worried about causing other cars on the track to have a bad time or be put in a safety compromised position. The last thing I want to do is end up ramming someone accidentally or take a bad line and cost someone the time and effort they've put into the race.

Aside from the anxiety portion, there's also the fact that you hear horror stories of rammers and other behavior that make the ranks in which I would be starting in very unfavorable.

I guess other than ruining other people's time by making stupid mistakes the other primary concern is that right now I kind of want to just focus on learning the tracks, learning the cars, and everything else in between. Online seems alluring in one aspects but I also know I'm just not knowledgeable or skilled enough yet to really have fun in that type of environment, I'm still in the phase right now where I'm learning how to tune out certain behavior in cars based on how they drive, watching Skip Barbers go faster, learning why a car does what it does on the car track, etc.

Also kind of always been a single player focused person, I don't like dealing with other people very much as I know that when I do hit that skill level where I feel comfortable taking it online that I sure I'm going to run into many people who aren't going to make the experience very enjoyable.

I'm just way way too anxious and I wish I wasn't even in the new Forza where I'm a pretty decent driver I'm just so incredibly anxious to even do the online qualifier races.

I'm not worried about losing at all online, in fact, I wouldn't even bat an eye at it, being afraid to lose or worried about coming in last place isn't something that holds me back from the online portion at all, right now I'm still in the stage where even a race where I come in last can teach me a lot.

Being anxious and generally messing up a race for someone who's doing things correctly are the major concerns.

There are some mor casual leagues out there -
You'd ne surprised how many people are like you

Custom races :D

example:
"CLK-LM '98 cup" at the 24h layout of nordschleife with 1x fuel, 1x tire, 30x time
car fully tuned, lowered (groundeffect?) and max downforce
the ai is still stupid, the race is silly, but it makes fun and shows what gt7 can be :D

Ehh, I had this thought when I first tried online racing. I didnt want to ruin someone else's enjoyment of sim racing because I didnt know how to drive well. The thing is, as long as you try to race clean and stick to your lines you will be fine. Bumping into people is all part of sim racing. I've ran right in to the back of people in braking zones because they hit the brakes way too early. I've had people ram right in to the back of me because I got on the brakes too early. Very few people are out there trying to ruin someone elses race. You see videos on YT of people doing that, but they are much more rare than you think.

More often that not you will find the first few laps of a race being a **** show of running in to each other and jockeying for position. After that you get in your groove and can sometimes be in good competition with one or two other drivers. Thats where some real fun can be had. Especially when you are behind 2 drivers who are fighting for position. Just sit back and wait for them to screw eachother's lap and sneak past on a turn where they both go wide. I love waiting for those opportunities to come along.

Are you going to land in first place all the time? No, not at the beginning. As you get better and more comfortable you will see your position move up and eventually get some podiums and some wins. Once you find yourself in first place you just focus on hitting all your lines, braking zones and apexes as best as you can. Don't leave the door open for someone behind to sneak their nose in on the inside of a turn. It's slightly different to racing the AI as you need to sometimes drive defensively and take awkward entries in to turns, but a lot of it is all the same stuff. Drive your best and if you see an opening don't be afraid to try to take it, but also don't be a dick and just stuff yourself in there using the car on the outside of you as a bumper.

I've had some fun custom races setting up the rules to be single make, boost light, set your car's ECU to 97-98%, everything else stock. I don't quite get how boost works but it feels like light is more competitive than strong? But yeah the CPU doesn't go full throttle up until like the top few positions, so nerfing your car's HP via ECU tuning can make it more fun.

Also, yeah with regards to online racing & nervousness over it, I felt it for a while too (this was my first sim racer), but I would recommend if you're interested, to give it a shot. You'll start in low DR races, and it'll probably be chaotic but really, the best way to improve your racecraft is to bite the bullet and try it out. If you're worried about it, do DR A which usually has no DR/SR updates. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, there's going to be drivers better than you and worse than you, and you will make mistakes, but the important thing if you are trying to improve is to look at your mistakes and figure out what you could have done better. I tend to save replays and rewatch incidents that happened to see really who was mostly at fault and what could have been done better. As long as you're not intentionally trying to ruin people's day, mistakes happen and most of the time if you just apologize for contact after the race they'll be fine with it.

Also I race weekly 1v1 vs a friend, which I did for months before my first real attempts at sports mode. Multiplayer lobbies can be chill, since you don't have to worry about tanking your ratings or anything.

One thing I do is try beat or match real world lap times. For example I got an S2000 got it to about 400hp or so and tried to match the ARVOU S2000 time at Tsukuba Circuit.

In my opinion you’re missing out if you don’t do the missions. Yes, some of them can be frustrating, but most of them you’ll likely enjoy if you enjoyed the menu books.
I’d also recommend playing around with engine swaps. A lot of those are fun to use at various power levels for different events.
And of course there is always “grinding”, which most would say is not fun, but it can be fun if you do it right. For starters don’t use the same 3 or 4 cars, use a wide variety and challenge yourself in various ways like fuel management, tire management and trying to set the absolute fastest lap you’ve ever done in a specific car, etc. Also, don’t just run the same race or two over and over, rotate at least “the 4” and occasionally throw in a lower payout race that might not get you 800k+ but will at least afford you another road car. Creating little challenges and using a bunch of different cars and tunes is what got me through “the grind” on my way to fund owning all the cars and engine swaps in the game.

I can’t complain, though. GT7 gave me 10 months of solid game play trying to beat and own everything. I have other games that get boring after a couple weeks. So I’ve moved on to other things. Nothing wrong with that.
While I definitly spend more time on GT7, Grid Legends did have the bigger fun factor for me - but I got bugged out on the trophies which is why I didnt continue.
I guess I could start from scratch, yet there are so many other games that want to be finished.
Priorities ...

Im not totally sure I want to play the new Forza, as my PC is older than my car, which is older than me (joking obviously).

The problem is, I select either quick race at the highest difficulty or make my custom rules with boost on strong and the difficulty of the AI to the highest and what happens is in some cars even starting being all the way behind, I'll pass them in seconds and it ends of being a glorified time trial
If this is happening, then you set up your custom races in a wrong way...

Use cars from your garage as opponents and tune them to a certain PP, then choose a car as your car, tune it similar, set boost on medium(not strong!)...race(and race as fair and clean as possible-just like you would expect your opponents in an online race to behave...)
If you are still to fast, tune your car down or choose "lower" tires...repeat this until you got a grid, where it is difficult for you to win this races...then you might get the best racing experience you can get in GT7

Last edited:

I feel you! I’ve been playing for a few months now and still consider myself a beginner with not great driving skills. So, I stay away from online races for very similar reasons as you describe.

Plus, I can’t get myself to pay for a PS+ subscription just for this… 🤷‍♂️

But if you want to improve your racing skills, I second what others have written already: go through all licenses, missions and most of all the circuit experiences. They’ll teach you a lot - not only about the many tracks, but also about how to deal with different cars, tyres, weather etc. And when you get to gold circuit experiences, there’s reasonable credit payout in it too, thus reducing the need to grind for credits to buy all the overpriced legend cars. 😃

Hi everyone,

First post here and I'm a little discouraged and bummed out. I've loved my time doing the menu books so much, the driving in this game is sublime and as someone new to sin racing and learning about cars it's been an amazing experience.

I've basically completed all menu books and I'm struggling now with finding meaningful racing content to do, I'm worried my time with the game has come to an end because I don't want to do online and its sad.

Here's the issue: I don't mind the slow grinding for credits, I don't mind just picking a car and racing the AI, making money slowly, learning my car and upgrading it and just taking things slow.

The problem is, I select either quick race at the highest difficulty or make my custom rules with boost on strong and the difficulty of the AI to the highest and what happens is in some cars even starting being all the way behind, I'll pass them in seconds and it ends of being a glorified time trial. Sometimes if I take a car that's not upgraded it may take a lap or two but I'll pass everyone anyway and then be in the same position as above.

For those who primarily plays single player and just want to race, is there any way to just pick a car I want to invest in and have meaningful races?

Hopefully I'm just missing something here and someone has some ideas to help me get what I'm looking for, all I want to do is play the game more and have at least somewhat decent racing or even a reason to race.

Thank you.
Theres some ways to have offline fun if you search in the forum, like custom races so you can do your own grids with cars you own and your own liveries and so on.

But you should consider online racing i mean, search in your country for private leagues and communities...

Theres a lot to learn and after you learn how to race youll see you can have much more fun from the game and even oficial online races will be appealing since you´ll understand that dirty driving its a thing you can avoid if you have enough experience, avoiding i mean youll be on top of that cause you understand better how to evaluate which people are doing mistakes and the ones that whant to be dirty and if you pratice enough youll get the skills to avoid the majority of low ranking official lobbys and all the situations that can happen in a race against ever type of person.

Dont put yourself in the role of a victim and start to blame the game and others, learn the game get experience so you can avoid and be on top of that miss interpretation of what a game is and every game needs to be learned and the rules are the same for everyone...

I suggest private leagues cause theres a lot of communities that help people to become better whithout any pressure cause theres many people learning and also many experienced people whilling to teach whithout asking nothing in return.

Last edited:
You can pick a race you like and try race it in different cars maybe with some limitations for close racing and self challenging.

I mainly spent my time in the Tokyo WTC600 (The money grind one) trying different stuffs. Just a few examples: Minimal upgrades, low power cars, winning while doing a drift run, EVs etc.

There are over 70 pages in the WTC600 thread you can see if there any inspiration.

Or some custom races recreate races/series in real life.

Last edited:
Pick an interesting car and track, set the race difficulty to easy, and just cruise. Try winning an 800 PP race with the ambulance, or just cruise in it.
VR helps a LOT.
Run 2 hours max then go outside for fresh air, maybe watch an hour TV show, and then get back to racing.

The secret to faster AI, almost too fast, is to turn BOP on where applicable in custom races, turn boost off, all settings on real, and turn on tire wear and fuel. I have had quite difficult races especially with race cars. The only strategy that works for me is to short pit. The AI is surprisingly good at fuel and tire management.

-pick one of the top paying races to use as a daily lap training/credit grind
-start picking the most OP car per any race you want and see if you can lap the AI, or even downtune cars for the same effect
-try time trials to improve time and skill on tracks
-ragequit 28 days a month when the roulette gives the lowest prize, play for hours the 2 days you win big

Try doing the 700pp 30 min race at Le Mans in some of the Classic cars,most have no aerodynamic assistance and quite a few have skinny tyres.It’s back to basics racing but a lot more fun than using modern cars,plus it’s a 850k credit first place.

Back