How do I make my Photos Look Real?

Canada
Vancouver, BC
liampage123
Okay. I want to know how to make my photos look as real as possible, editing wise. Right now when I edit photos I have no idea what I am doing, I just fiddle with dials. I have Photoshop CS2 btw.

I want to know what specific things to look for and adjust, what things to avoid.

Here is a photo I took unedited.

gt6 032.jpg

This is my attempt to make it look life like.

realistic attempt.jpg

I adjusted the contrast, brought down the blacks, added a warming filter, and tweaked the colors in selective colors option.

Like I said I have no idea what I am doing. Any assistance is appreciated! :)

Remove the GT watermark filter, tutorial here.

Beyond that I would like to know too . I love editing for realistic shots but I don't know how to. I think many people who know (and crucially are good at it) like to keep it a secret (I can keep a secret too :sly:).

There's one thing that's bugged me.

When I've uploaded my photos from GT5, my photos have lost resolution and looked blurry but most of the ones posted on here look crystal clear! I've used Imageshack and then Flickr to upload them but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Remove the GT watermark filter, tutorial here.

Beyond that I would like to know too . I love editing for realistic shots but I don't know how to. I think many people who know (and crucially are good at it) like to keep it a secret (I can keep a secret too :sly:).

What editing software do you use Guys? I switch between PS to Gimp 2.8 on every shot. I am master of neither.

When you take your shot, is it good unedited? If it's bad shot, editing it will make it worse.

Do you possess a proper monitor? 900x1400 or better. Anything less, it will look crazy to others with better monitors.

Are you saving shots in 2x mode? 3840x2160. Takes longer, but produces superior photo quality.

There are threads for beginners. Try GT5 threads for shooting, composition, clean up (I do not tolerate jaggies in my shots), and such. More extensive, and the same rules apply for GT6.

Practice, Practice, Practice. There is no quick solution.

To be serious, you must get serious. It shows in the work. In time you will be rewarded.

Go online, look at real shots, and use those as a guide. Same with magazines and such.

Go online, look up instructions & tips for the editing software you use. It's there. Then you gotta PRACTICE.

Literally ask an artist you enjoy. (I do all the time, as I have zero shame). If no reply, ask another.

Even if told 'Secrets' or tips, you still must PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

There is no 1st day magic, only building on each lesson learned until you develop an arsenal of moves.

Then you must return the favor one day to a novice. Each One Teach One.

Hit me up if you need me.

I have to agree with MoMo...there isn't one golden method to it. every shot will require a different approach and the only way to get better is practice.

Find and FOLLOW as many tutorials as you can. Then, when you see how people are getting their results, you can use them and your own ideas to get great finished pictures.

There are plenty of incredible artists and designers here on GTP so don't let that go to waste...ask as many questions as you can, there will always be one of the local geniuses around to help you.

Good Luck

For what it's worth I've found that when you get a good solid photo in comp, focus, and location it can often be the small details in the background. Armco barriers almost NEVER look realistic unless you go in to burn the shadows and create on at the ground level where it should cast one right where it meets the grass. Buildings are another one where the edges are just too straight and the "blur" or bokeh is not correct and makes them look really fake.

As for the car pay special attention to what aperature (ex f/4.0, f/5.6, etc) you're using. That can have a HUGE effect on the level of realism captured right out of the box. Next look for edges that aren't rounded properly, wheel arches, lights, mirrors, and wheels are usually the biggest offenders. Another one that helps A LOT is the shadowing and brightness on brake rotors/calipers. Many cars they almost look brighter than the wheel/rim themselves and almost look like they make their own light lol.

The white balance is usually way too blue "cold". Using the midpoint dropper in a curves layer usually fixes it right up :)

I am far from any kind of pro but these things have been my main manifest while I work to improve. Like anything though as others have said, a mediocre or bad picture out of the box won't get any better through post processing. Just practice LOTS and try new things ;)

Great post @MoMo PeeZero ! I definitely will keep your tips in mind :). You're definitely right, practice and hard work are more key than just a list of what to do. Oh and I use GIMP, find it easy to use.

I'm going to take part in all 2.0 competitions to help me hone my editing skills.

You can get realistic photos without editing with the right exposure, shutter speed (if replay photo) and F-number (I am noob, don't know what is it shortened from :b). Also right angle is important. It is just trial and error what looks good to the eye what not.

Some examples:

Unedited: EVO X.jpg and edited: EVO X ED.jpg

example of exposure (unedited): (filter: cross-prosessing)
+1 -> Ronda_3.jpg 0 ->Ronda_2.jpg
-1 -> Ronda_1.jpg

and here is edited:

BMW Ronda.jpg

What editing software do you use Guys? I switch between PS to Gimp 2.8 on every shot. I am master of neither.

When you take your shot, is it good unedited? If it's bad shot, editing it will make it worse.

Do you possess a proper monitor? 900x1400 or better. Anything less, it will look crazy to others with better monitors.

Are you saving shots in 2x mode? 3840x2160. Takes longer, but produces superior photo quality.

There are threads for beginners. Try GT5 threads for shooting, composition, clean up (I do not tolerate jaggies in my shots), and such. More extensive, and the same rules apply for GT6.

To be serious, you must get serious. It shows in the work. In time you will be rewarded.

Go online, look at real shots, and use those as a guide. Same with magazines and such.

Go online, look up instructions & tips for the editing software you use. It's there. Then you gotta PRACTICE.

Literally ask an artist you enjoy. (I do all the time, as I have zero shame). If no reply, ask another.

There is no 1st day magic, only building on each lesson learned until you develop an arsenal of moves.

Amen:bowdown:
Perfectly put Gary. We are all whores to our art! No shame:tup:

Another thing I sould have mentioned is lighting. I sort of touched on it but didn't say much about it other than sadows.

Phtotgraphy even in games is not a picture of a subject, it is an image of the light illuminating the subject. Even the best composition, focus, angle, arrangement, you name it, will still be dull and lifeless without good light. I HIGHLY recommend finding some images by @NBDESIGNZ. His lighting and style is quite often very dynamic and dramatic. @MoMo PeeZero , @leeislee , and @Giulietta73 also have a good deal of brilliant work here on GTP. I'd drop in on their galleries for inspiration ;)

You summed it up perfectly!

I use Lightroom and already have a preset that I use, but that doesn't do any good unless you have the shot the way you need it to be. Anyone can a take a photo, but you must practice like he said.

For me, I have to use Photoshop because I want to do so many things and its very enjoyable. Now, you do not need to use photoediting software to make your photos look real. If it did not look real in the first place no program is going to help you do it. There are tons of photos from GT5 and now GT6 that never saw Photoshop or GIMP and they look amazing. What do they have in common? I'll try to put my 2 cents worth here of basic, basic, basic things to consider.
  • You want a "realistic" picture? You have to play with the camera controls, familiarize yourself with them. This is a must. You are not going anywhere without this!
  • Define your subject by highlighting it, make it obvious thru color, focus, movement. I have seen that the focus or better said, out of focus quality is very common for newbies when defining the subject. Remember when taking that shot to focus one more time, place the camera reticule over your subject. I normally focus on the headlights. Now play with the f-stop to isolate the subject.
  • Another mayor fault is that the picture is too dark, adjust the aperture.
  • Consider your background watch for low resolution. Sharp edges on curves look bad and screams low quality image. Watch for and avoid them in buildings, fences, road curbs, cars, etc.
  • I hate the Granturismoland people so I never include them...except those NBDESIGNZ uses. Where does he find his models? I have driven a lot and have not found them yet.
  • Composition, is the way you present the subject and your story. Hover around the car and find that angle that looks cool. Most of the time you will find it by accident so you need to explore. Look at what others do and what you like.
  • Play with reflections, this sometimes gives the picture a lot of realism. Again, avoid sharp edges in those reflections.
I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. If starting out in Photomode, this would be the first things to consider.

Back