How do you take your coffee?

• Thread starter shadow0460
  • 60 comments
I'm ex-british and grew up on tea but now prefer coffee.

I like mine using a fine grind, using a pour over filter directly into my mug. I still boil the water using a tea kettle (my American wife converted from coffee to tea after marrying me, lol), then pour the water into a 12oz measuring jug I have and then pour that into my pour over. The measuring jug dispenses just the right amount of water for my mug with no guessing needed. I finish off with half and half. Perfect.

Black like my soul or Irished, unless it's cheap coffee that's nothing more than dirt and some plant matter, then I want a bit of cream and sugar in it.

I prefer energy drinks over coffee though, specifically Sugar Free Red Bull.

What the hell is this cream many Americans are referring to?

Is it milk, a higher fat content milk, cream as in what you would whip for a cake, sour cream?

I'm confused.

What the hell is this cream many Americans are referring to?

Is it milk, a higher fat content milk, cream as in what you would whip for a cake, sour cream?

I'm confused.
In UK parlance, it's half cream - about 10% fat (compared to whole milk/full-fat at about 4%) - which you'd also use in cocktails that call for cream. Single cream, which you'd use in some cooking, is 18% fat. Double cream, which you'd whip for a cake, is 36% fat.

I think the ANZ equivalents would be extra-lite, lite, and "cream", in that order.

I like my coffee how i like my women, weak and milky.
And in a plastic cup.
Rendering me an anxious mess after more than two?

In UK parlance, it's half cream - about 10% fat (compared to whole milk/full-fat at about 4%) - which you'd also use in cocktails that call for cream. Single cream, which you'd use in some cooking, is 18% fat. Double cream, which you'd whip for a cake, is 36% fat.

I think the ANZ equivalents would be extra-lite, lite, and "cream", in that order.
The only cream we really have here is well... "cream" with 36% fat. One or two brands sell 'cooking cream' and 'half and half' (which confusingly has ~18% fat content) but it's not very common.

My coffee preference changes depending on what I'm feeling and what beans I have available. The process of pulling and shot and steaming some milk to make a cappuccino is a great morning ritual; if I'm heading into the office then pulling and downing a double espresso is a lot quicker on time.

And for when I feel like something fruitier and jucier I'll go for a light-roast in the clever dripper.

I've spent a lot of money on coffee I have a problem someone please help.

The industrial revolution was really due to the mass-scale cultivation, import and consumption of coffee. The ultimate example of species elevating species.

I brew 600ml of water into 30g of grounds direct into a 20oz tumbler via my Bonavita automatic pour-over showerhead/drip machine. Sometimes I'll drink stuff from local roasters, but most of the time the most reliable stuff is just good ol' Pike Roast beans from Starbucks. They're always pretty fresh because stores turn it over. You have to grind your own beans and the more freshly roasted they are, the better. Old stale coffee is gross. If your spent grounds don't have some bubble and froth when you're done brewing, they're stale. My favorite beans are Cafe Don Pablo's Original Blend for the way I typically make my coffee. After brewing, I'll throw in enough cream (Half & Half) for it to become not lighter than Pantone 15-1040 TCX, and 4 packets of Splenda. That's my morning and it takes me at least a third of the way to lunch.

The above is the American "Coffee". It's also common here to take coffee cuban style. Cafe colada (a large 6-8oz cup of espresso with enough whipped sugar to turn it into 5W-30, meant to share and served with a stack of tiny 3/4oz cups), cortadito (a shot of colada cut with a bit of steamed milk), cafe con leche (like a latte, but with the steamed milk cooked off a little longer and with even less foam).

Half & Half is actually made to tightly regulated standards.
(a) Description. Half-and-half is the food consisting of a mixture of milk and cream which contains not less than 10.5 percent but less than 18 percent milkfat. It is pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized, and may be homogenized.
Basically, because it's officially defined as being between 10.5% and 18%, it's always 10.5% milkfat. :lol:

I like my coffee how i like my women, weak and milky.
If you hadn't already guessed, this was for comedic effect. Mostly.

I actually have a double shot of freshly ground cuzcachapa beans (El Salvador) with just enough either hazelnut or caramel syrup to coat the bottom of the cup (slightly oversized regular tea/coffee mug) then topped off with steamed milk.

If you hadn't already guessed, this was for comedic effect. Mostly.

I actually have a double shot of freshly ground cuzcachapa beans (El Salvador) with just enough either hazelnut or caramel syrup to coat the bottom of the cup (slightly oversized regular tea/coffee mug) then topped off with steamed milk.
Sounds like a complicated woman.

Sounds like a complicated woman.

They all start out simple and then they're marrying someone who's overthought everything and everyone, leading to over-complications of all events past and present, to justify my over-compensation...

(Heh, I think that second cup just kicked in.)

I take a moderately sweet coffee over a RedBull any time. Nothing beats a morning cup of Joe while listening to Fairouz (A Lebanese singer) on the radio. It simply is the perfect combo for the people of the Levant.

In the trash. I hate coffee and dark chocolate. It's some weird genetics that makes it taste horrible.
Black Rifle is good coffee. As is usual I couldn't stand the taste but all the other flavors I expected were there and they did taste good.

I like my coffe with milk and just it, but sometimes i love to drink Latte with some flavours like in Costa Coffe or Starbucks.

Last edited:
I hate coffee and dark chocolate. It's some weird genetics that makes it taste horrible.
How about tomatoes, grapefruit, olives or beer? If you don't like those, either, you're probably a supertaster. I can't stand any of them.

As of 3 months ago, I stopped drinking caffeine so no more coffee for me. When I drank coffee, it had to have entirely too much flavored creamer to make it drinkable.

I like my coffee like I like my headaches - non-existent. - I'm a sworn member of the cocoa brotherhood.

Also caffeine does not help me with my energy levels at all, the only thing it does is prevent my heart rate from going down when I am trying to sleep, it stays at normal level for hours until it finally drops and I fall asleep. Extremely annoying.

Last edited:
That's just to say I'd recommend Black Rifle to anyone who liked coffee. It has a smooth texture and the different flavors really popped...including the coffee taste which nearly made me hurl.
Understanding I'm never going to like coffee, I can still pick out things I'd like if they were in something else.

At home it’s just a regular instant coffee (Nescafé gold blend smooth, intensity 6) with a splash of semi skimmed milk and 1 sugar. At work (I co-own a tea room) it have a flat white with oat milk and no sugar.

Last edited:
Bought two bags of Groundwork (Ethiopian Blend) last time I went to the supermarket, which felt like a huge departure from the "Latifi" Beans I normally get. Trying to stay away from pre-ground for storage reasons.

No milk, cream or sugar.

Medium to Medium-Coarse grind using a light/medium roast bean. It's a very medium coffee.

I'm going to be looking for decaf, instant-coffee soon so I can have a hot drink for these winter nights. Right now that role is being taken up by ginger and licorice root teas.

Last edited:
At the moment I drink drip coffee, usually black. I also have a cheapo espresso machine and every few months it gets rotated with the drip machine to keep things interesting.

On changeover day they sometimes both get brewed up to make a "California red eye".

I got a burr grinder for a wedding present, best thing ever. Even basic beans taste great when freshly ground.

Dunkin Donuts has some really great coffee options, we go there twice a week, we love their variety of doughnuts and other sweets.

Black, ideally as an Espresso.

Never instant (foul stuff), and ideally well made, as most places do not make good coffee.

Yes, I am a coffee snob. Right, I'm off to fire up my Gaggia...

I don't either.

I've tried coffee like 4 times tops in my entire life, and never liked it.
Same it's disgusting. I've had people tell me growing up, "You may want coffee when you get into high school." Then I heard, "You'll change your mind when you go to college, you'll live off the stuff." And I even heard, "Having kids will break you down and you'll need coffee." None of any of those scenarios happened and I fight insomnia every night of my life, so I always call coffee people weak, as bas as that makes me seem, it's just how I feel. I just drink water every morning with breakfast.

Jerome

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back