How does golding the tests compare to being pro?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sicbeing
  • 36 comments
  • 2,667 views
I'm not a very good driver over all (lack of concentration nad time i guess), but golding licences is not that difficult. Sometimes it's just a matter of trial and error, then try again with a different approach. I guess that if you can gold them or get really close within a first 3 to 5 tries then you could have some real talent.
 
Unless i missed it did the op mention if he uses a wheel or pad? If its the former than you will get some experience regards understeer/oversteer and throttle input coupled with a good knowledge of the correct racing line - but that is it. No gravitational feel (lat/long), no fear of crashing and retry's etc etc are all missing from real life.

Try a one make race series with abs and all other aids off and leave the car stock with tyre wear/fuel depletion/off track grip enabled - this will give you a better idea if you have an aptitude for real life racing, but even at that nothing can compare to the real thing. Best is just to go and try it 👍
karting is where its at
 
Most licence tests in GT5 are horrible. In order to gold them, you are required to do things that are as far from good driving as possible.

The problem is that they test how fast you can take a corner (which is why drifting in some tests is the most efficient method) but that alone means nothing and not to mention how in some tests you can go pretty much off-road to get a better line or how you're almost encouraged to bump into cars (Trying to pass 12 of them in one lap is not realistic).

All in all, they've done a pretty bad job and the only skill you learn after golding them is how to drive dangerously.
 
BradKinder
holy **** you people aren't listening. SRF MUST BE OFF AND TIRE WEAR MUST BE ON for realism. And it is very real.

No, you're not listening. It's a game, it doesn't matter what settings you use It's still a game and not real. I would just love to see someone go to the Nurburgring with only GT5 experience and try to drive it exactly like they do in the game (regardless of what settings or car or tires they use in the game). Actually, no I wouldn't love to see that because I don't love SEEING PEOPLE DIE IN HORRIBLY VIOLENT CAR CRASHES.
 
amar212
Also do not forget about Grip Reduction being set to Real.

In order to have it on Real you either have to lap in Practice mode or do online races.

So basically it is SRF OFF, Tire Wear ON and Grip Reduction > Real.

Also, mastering Comfort component on high-powered cars can prepare you for the things to come inertia-related.

Not to mention the fear factor, if i was driving in real life on the nurburgring at 200km/h, i would be s*****g myself! Because you know you only have 1 life, wereas gt5...
 
I have a 370z in the game and a 370z in real life. I've taken my real car to a giant empty truck docking area and practiced with the handling. It's my first powerful RWD car and I wanted to get comfortable with it before tackling some of my favorite backroads.

To me, there's definitely a similarity. Sometimes an eerie similarity. Obviously not perfect though. But I can't think of anything I've done in the real car, where when I went back to the game car I thought, "hmm, that's completely false and unrealistic." Stab the throttle while turning, the back will come around. Brake hard while turning, it promotes understeer, etc. GT gets a lot of things right, or at least very close.

Incidentally, I'll be going to Germany in a few months and plan to visit the Ring.
I'll be able to put my beliefs to the test. Don't let me down, Kaz!
 
I don't believe that to be the case, even a really good FF wheel comes no where close to the feedback you get from the g-forces you can feel and the feedback through the wheel about what the tyres/suspension/engine are doing when driving a real car, and it's how you judge and react to that feedback that makes a skilled driver.

That being said, you will learn simple things that you may not learn from average speed driving on public roads, like if you go into a corner too quickly the car will likely under-steer, a RWD car will tend to overseer if you're too early on the power on the exit of a corner and how locking your breaks will reduce slowing force, but how to handle those characteristics in a real car cannot be learned playing a game, I learned how to drive properly on empty country roads in a relatively fast and good handling road car.


^^^ THIS

There is NO replacement for real g's and feedback throught the entire car. In real life, you can feel infinitely more variable - you can feel if the back end is getting loose vs. the front (before if breaks away - where SIMs it has to HAPPEN before you feel it). You learn to feel the car through it's natural motion at the limit of grip - you simply can't get this kind of feed back in a sim.

When I'm racing, I can feel the tires up to the limit of grip thanks to all the feedback you get - when playing a sim, you have to wait for some audible sounds or wait for the grip to fall off or watch the tire indicators. Real life you just grip the steering wheel and feel it through the pedals and seat as well.

A sim like GT5 will teach you the basic rules of racing, but you can't get good until you really drive. I remember I thought I was all that from playing GT through GT3 before I finally went out and got started for real. I thought I'd school everyone - lol, NOPE. I did have a lot of 'potential' but I needed to learn how to apply it in real life - and you need real experience for that.
 
Back