How exactly does driver rating work?

• Thread starter CrestDelta
  • 88 comments
OK. I'm disappointed, thought there was a very clear and simple way of knowing how your DR would be impacted by performance! Should be racing for fun but it's impossible to not care about DR...

Thanks again for the info.

OK. I'm disappointed, thought there was a very clear and simple way of knowing how your DR would be impacted by performance! Should be racing for fun but it's impossible to not care about DR...

There is: finish top half and you will gain DR, finish bottom half and you will lose DR.

Basically, in a grid of 12, if you finish in P6 you were beaten by 5 people, but beat 6 people (so DR up). This is complicated by higher or lower Driver Rankings in the same race, but it works in general.

Even as @BSDShoes says... you can finish bottom half and gain, if there are better DR ranked drivers behind you.

Last edited:

Door number is not useful (even when it isn't bugged by having DR C or D players in the race) because it says nothing about the spread of DRs, which is crucial. But just by eyeballing all the DRs in the room, you can see if the spread is large or small, and roughly where you are in the pile.

If it's small, or you're roughly mid-pack in the DR ratings, then top half / bottom half is accurate.

If it's large and you're near the top or bottom of the DRs, then just bias that cut-off up or down - a little or a lot depending on the spread.

Check your DR points on Kudosprime after each race and you'll quite quickly get a feel for how it changes.

After a race few days ago I went to 50,000+ points and downrated from A to B. Now every race I just losing points no matter which place I finish.
Can anyone explain this?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can only speculate without specifics; but immediately the fact you hit 50,000+ and went A>B doesn't sound correct.

Your DR graph looks pretty unusual tbh, and it looks like the game is just correcting it back to a more reasonable variation of the mean; I guess you wouldn't be asking questions if you were, but I have to ask, were you cheating at all?

That would explain the spike in your DR

i-qJQJPsT-M.jpg

Last edited:
It depends mainly on your skill but it is affected from SR too.
Fast qualifying times, starting first, finishing first, gaining positions, podiums are the main things to do in order to rise your DR.
If you have a dirty race your SR can even move from B to E but your DR can stay to the level it was or even get a level down.
It is harder to demote in DR than SR, but also harder to promote.
Everything counts.

@_ApexPredator
Haha, no. There was a race in Interlagos (terrible track tbh), where some annoying Swede tried to push me out of the track in every corner ("A" SR, though), few times I bumped back and after this race I went from A (~69) to D (~15) and my SR skyrocketed to 50K. D class is very fun, half of the racers are Italian and they make a huge crash in every possible corner. Can't wait to complete this game and delete it.

Maybe it's the fact that your SR went from 67 to 19 in a day that's causing you to lose DR no matter what you do?

How do you explain that spike in DR points though? You went from 32750 to 50064 in the same time period as above ^ - I would have expected your DR to plummet along with your SR, but it did the opposite, which doesn't seem to make sense.

*Edit: think I've found the answer:

"A low SR score can limit the DR Class, and even reset the DR score to predefined values (7000 pts if SR dive below 5, 20,000 pts below 15 and 50,000 pts below 30."

After a race few days ago I went to 50,000+ points and downrated from A to B. Now every race I just losing points no matter which place I finish.
Can anyone explain this?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a bug when your SR drops below a certain value. It happened to me yesterday dropping to SR.C in one race. It showed me as DR.B in the next race. I guess you can only be one level higher than SR, yet the points don't reset correctly.

Sat Feb 17 2018 14:54:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) -> DR:37761 | SR:99/99 | Races:1220 | DPUR:39
Sat Feb 17 2018 15:25:16 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) -> DR:50000 | SR:21/99 | Races:1221 | DPUR:200 12th -> 15th -88 Draft bumping
Sat Feb 17 2018 15:57:06 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) -> DR:50046 | SR:21/99 | Races:1222 | DPUR:200 3rd -> 1st -0 Draft bumping
Sat Feb 17 2018 16:53:17 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) -> DR:50127 | SR:30/99 | Races:1223 | DPUR:201 2nd -> 1st +9 Bathurst clean race
Sat Feb 17 2018 17:25:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) -> DR:7000 | SR:1/99 | Races:1224 | DPUR:175 1st -> 1st -29 Draft bumping
Sat Feb 17 2018 17:57:40 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) -> DR:9744 | SR:54/99 | Races:1225 | DPUR:96 1st -> 1st +53 Draft bumping

46 points for a win at DR 50000, 2744 points for a win at DR 7000
SR gains and losses also depend on current SR level as I was draft bumping the same in all the races, -88 in SR.S +53 in SR.E!

If you want to demote DR, draft bump to SR.E
If you want to get to DR.S quickly draft bump to SR.C

I really don't understand this :S

Why would horrifically dropping your SR score (below 30) result in a huge bump to your DR (reset to 50,000) - wouldn't most people love for their DR to be up at 50,000?

Is that just a horrible bug (as you say, I know), or is there some logic behind it that I don't understand?

I really don't understand this :S

Why would horrifically dropping your SR score (below 30) result in a huge bump to your DR (reset to 50,000) - wouldn't most people love for their DR to be up at 50,000?

Is that just a horrible bug (as you say, I know), or is there some logic behind it that I don't understand?

A stupid bug, this is what kudos prime says

A low SR score can limit the DR Class, and even reset the DR score to predefined values (7000 pts if SR dive below 5, 20,000 pts below 15 and 50,000 pts below 30.

I assume the intention was to cap your points if your SR drops too low, never to raise them. Still the 7000 and 20,000 values don't make sense either, or why I was still earning points above 50K at SR.C. Only DR.S starts at 50k.
D (2-3,999), C (4,000-9,999), B (10,000-29,999), A (30,000-49,999) and S (50,000-75,000).

And no, you probably would not like to have your DR artificially inflated to 50K as you'll be starting last against a grid of DR.S drivers as soon as you get your SR back up.

And why cap it at all. DR is simply a relative measure of your skill against other drivers. That doesn't suddenly change.

Last edited:
And why cap it at all. DR is simply a relative measure of your skill against other drivers. That doesn't suddenly change.

No, but if your SR plummets it's reasonable to cap the driving level that you're able to obtain until you adjust your sportsmanship; the principle makes sense to me, but take @artem9000 as an example - http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1108537.

Day 45: DR:A (32750) SR:A (67)

He has a bad race and the SR drops to SR:D (19), triggering the process we've both quoted from Kudosprime (A low SR score can ... even reset the DR score to predefined values (7000 pts if SR dive below 5, 20,000 pts below 15 and 50,000 pts below 30.)

So he ends up:

Day 46: DR:B (50064) SR:D (19).

So what I don't understand is: a) why an increase in DR score is yielding a lower rank, that doesn't make sense.
and b) the figures themselves; if you wanted to demote a DR:A driver down to DR:B because of their SR behaviour, the DR reset figure should be somewhere between 10,000- 30,000, shouldn't it?

Very odd.

Wow. This DR bug explains a driver I came across in a race at Brands Hatch(et). I saved a race replay as there was carnage behind me and I was interested what happened. I was surprised to see that it all started when a DR-S driver in P3 badly dive bombed P2. The recipient of the dive bomb returned the favour the next corner, and then others got caught in the crossfire. I looked up the DR-S driver's profile, and it had the 3XXXX to 50000 spike coinciding with a SR <30. However, this driver has maintained >50000 whilst returning to SR-S, so now the game recognises them as a proper S/S driver.

So there must be a few drivers out there that have unintentionally got S/S or High A/S ratings because of this bug?

Wow. This DR bug explains a driver I came across in a race at Brands Hatch(et). I saved a race replay as there was carnage behind me and I was interested what happened. I was surprised to see that it all started when a DR-S driver in P3 badly dive bombed P2. The recipient of the dive bomb returned the favour the next corner, and then others got caught in the crossfire. I looked up the DR-S driver's profile, and it had the 3XXXX to 50000 spike coinciding with a SR <30. However, this driver has maintained >50000 whilst returning to SR-S, so now the game recognises them as a proper S/S driver.

So there must be a few drivers out there that have unintentionally got S/S or High A/S ratings because of this bug?

There's a thread about it here and some links within to other threads that explain it https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/dr-acting-oddly.375067/

Yes it often goes up if you are racing against the top guys no matter where you finish (I guess if you finish 15-20 a lot it may go down but I've not done that enough to know), the higher you place (especially if you gain places during the race) the more it goes up. I'm A and not that far off S and I've only won 15 or so times.

Quitting puts it down though, same with safety rating.

I thought I read somewhere the higher the letter the better. Is that wrong?

Ratings go from lowest rating of E to D,C,B,A and then finally the highest rating of S, for both Driver and Sportsmanship rating.:)

Hey guys can anyone explain why I'm not dr a and sr b. Thanks in advace
Your DR rating cannot advance beyond your SR rating. You're at SR B. Until you become SR A you cannot become DR A, no matter how many DR points you have.

@Outspacer

Is the calculation for DR lost/gained: loser-winner/500 + 80? And can working the formula backwards from a post-race DR loss or gain reveal the average DR of competitors?

For example, last night I finished 13th of 16 on Nurb GP (door number 16, amongst a few S/S and all others A/S). I lost 414 DR.

So 414 DR lost / 12 competitors who finished ahead of me = 34.5 per position.

34.5-80 = -45.5 * 500 = -22750

So on average, every person who finished ahead of me has a DR of 22750 greater than mine?

Calculation-wise this seems correct, but it doesn't feel right.

@Outspacer

Is the calculation for DR lost/gained: loser-winner/500 + 80? And can working the formula backwards from a post-race DR loss or gain reveal the average DR of competitors?

For example, last night I finished 13th of 16 on Nurb GP (door number 16, amongst a few S/S and all others A/S). I lost 414 DR.

So on average, every person who finished ahead of me has a DR of 22750 greater than mine?

you're close,
I think I would complicate the equation by figuring out how the three people you beat factor into the equation, where they offset the average by their relative proportion. That probably sounds super confusing and im not sure im explaining it correctly, but:

if you beat 3 and lost to 12 then the relative proportion is:
3/12= 1/4 = 0.25 or 25%

so simply multiply the average difference by

(1 - 0.25) * Average difference

0.75 * 22750 = 17062

So technically, the average racer who beat you was 17062 points higher than you

*edited (twice) for math mistakes:dunce:

Last edited:
@Outspacer

Correct, approximately, and... not like that :) I think it goes something like this...

Start with what you would get from your position when everyone has equal DR: (3 - 12) * 80 = -9 * 80 = -720

Then subtract that from what you actually scored, and multiply by 500: (-414 - -720) * 500 = 306 * 500 = 153000

Then you can get an approximate average DR difference compared to you, by dividing by the number of others: 153000 / 15 = 10200

Then an approximate average DR for the whole race, by adding your DR plus your DR divided by the number of competitors: (15 * (DR + 10200) + DR) / 16 = ...

It's very approximate because of all the rounding to integers that's done in the scoring, and because it rounds down that means the error is always in the same direction. In the race I tried this method against the average DR estimates were all within a few hundred of the real average DR.

Last edited:
Back