How Forza Could Come to PlayStation: Microsoft Reportedly Considering Third-Party Platforms

• Thread starter Famine
  • 66 comments
The most annoying thing about these plans if MS does confirm it is going third party and potentially having Xbox exit hardware sales, is the unbearably arrogant trumpeting from Sony and Nintendo "fans" celebrating that MS has lost the console wars.
I think the most annoying thing is it's going to speed up the precedent for us to have to stream games to our TVs or computers, when most of us here probably don't have a good enough internet to even want to consider doing that just yet. I know for me when I've tried streaming games the input delay is tragic.

The most annoying thing about these plans if MS does confirm it is going third party and potentially having Xbox exit hardware sales, is the unbearably arrogant trumpeting from Sony and Nintendo "fans" celebrating that MS has lost the console wars.
MS has been doing Xbox for 20+ years. Console wars are for babies, but MS did stuff like releasing games day one on PC and even Gamepass because their console sales are so down. They’ve already put a couple games on Switch and are apparently planning to do so on PlayStation.

They’ll instantly be the largest third party company with all their studios and money. Doing that makes more sense than hanging on to a struggling console.

Last edited:
The bitter irony is that these same people were complaining that MS were being monopolistic in buying Activision, yet somehow, Sony making the only premium console on the market will be a good thing.

Last edited:
You mean that they didn't do this already last year when Phil Spencer basically said it himself?

Last edited:
I think the most annoying thing is it's going to speed up the precedent for us to have to stream games to our TVs or computers, when most of us here probably don't have a good enough internet to even want to consider doing that just yet. I know for me when I've tried streaming games the input delay is tragic.
You answered your own question. Even with good internet most serious gamers want native versions of games - be they digital or physical. Streaming is an option for certain scenarios or devices like PlayStation Portal.

Sony are extremely active promoting PlayStation in developing markets. Many such markets don't have reliable internet so Sony will always (well, for the foreseeable future) have a disc option alongside digital and streaming. That's one of the reasons for the new PS5 model - Sony can manufacture one box - with an optional disc drive.

Last edited:
Two scalps for Sony now.

First they killed off Sega and we were sad. Then they finished off Xbox and we are glad.

I'm actually kinda of sad to see this. I would love to play Forza on the PS5 though. I feel like Sony needs a direct competitor. But I guess MS doesn't want that rule anymore 😞.

Weird times we're living in, no?

Even if this does happen, I'd still keep my Xbox Series X and my 360 for the sake of the older Forza games.
Nothing weird about it; if Microsoft does in fact abandon hardware in favour of software it's probably good business and it's happened at least once before.

Early nineties: We'll never see Mario and Sonic side by side.

Fast forward a bit...

And yes I know Microsoft is in a much better position than Sega was, but it's still relevant I think 🙂

Supposedly, according to some leaks, Microsoft has plans to continue releasing new hardware for at least one more generation after Series S/X (apparently the next Xbox would be released in 2026)

Supposedly, according to some leaks, Microsoft has plans to continue releasing new hardware for at least one more generation after Series S/X (apparently the next Xbox would be released in 2026)
It's not really leaks, as much as it is information submitted by MS in its case with the FTC over the ABK acquisition.

We know it's got 10th Gen planned for 2026, but if its console growth isn't good enough it could yet scrap it altogether before that - something Spencer also said in the same case.

It's not really leaks, as much as it is information submitted by MS in its case with the FTC over the ABK acquisition.

We know it's got 10th Gen planned for 2026, but if its console growth isn't good enough it could yet scrap it altogether before that - something Spencer also said in the same case.
Yes, I must have been confused by the recent leaks that maybe in said generation there could be 2 consoles (one of them handheld like Switch or Steam Deck)

But they don't seem reliable enough to me.

Last edited:
This would be great news. New FM is kind of a bad attempt. We have GT and they give us Forza Horizon.

We'll just need a crossover like fighting games had in the past: Forza Horizon 6 set in Japan with a Gran Turismo expansion featuring the GT map with some tracks and racing. A man can dream... :D

Last edited:
We should hear more about this strategy this week, it's just a question of when.

If it's going to be more bad than good news, they should at least wait until tomorrow. Being stuffed with pancakes will significantly soften the blow! :P

This would be great news. New FM is kind of a bad attempt. We have GT and they give us Forza Horizon.

We'll just need a crossover like fighting games had in the past: Forza Horizon 6 set in Japan with a Gran Turismo expansion featuring the GT map with some tracks and racing. A man can dream... :D
Then worst case scenario: VGT's in FH6.

Apparently, the Audi e-tron VGT would be the most fitting, as it would be labeled as an "extreme track toy" and was also driven by the late Ken Block (God rest his soul) before he made a partnership with Audi.

The GT by Citroen has made its way to some other (admittedly smaller) titles with the branding removed; there's probably nothing stopping the manufacturers behind VGTs doing the same, though I'd imagine Sony wouldn't be too keen.

Mark your calendars for Thursday - Interesting they've chosen to present the news in the form of a podcast:

A podcast with like the top three people at Xbox lets them ramble and fluff up fans and the brand history more than just a statement or presentation.

They have to know how wild the rumors and meltdowns have been since announcing this.

Given all the rumours and speculation, how easy would it have been for them to just come out and say "no"?

Instead, this.

8fm33n.gif

they ran out of xbox naming conventions.
They had Xbox 720 right there!

MS need to be very careful about how they play this. Their past podcasts (usually after their acquisitions) have a more casual tone to them; they're still scripted and specifically worded, though there is a bit of freeform between those involved. I can't see the three higher ups of the Xbox brand sitting there drinking coffee while they nonchalantly announce a bunch of stuff coming over to rival systems, it would just be disingenuous. Even more so if they announce going fully third party, though I doubt that's happening, at least for now.

I get the feeling they'll announce what titles are set in stone (now believed to be Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves and Pentiment), but knowing them, they'll fumble the long term messaging and continue with the whole 'we'll evaluate on a case-by-case basis' after that. They really do just need to rip the plaster off and say what they're doing as clearly as possible.

Why would they be clear, concise and upfront when they can lie, obfuscate and hide their true intentions? I'm guessing they will go the SEGA route but they want to see if how Hi-Fi Rush etc perform and go from there.

Given all the rumours and speculation, how easy would it have been for them to just come out and say "no"?

Instead, this.

8fm33n.gif
And that was 22 minutes of really nothing.

We've found out that four specific games are being taken to other devices, but not what they are - and that this change in strategy isn't actually a change in strategy.

🤷‍♂️

The troglodytes of Twitter are taking it well.

I’ll give them this, it was more direct than expected, though it obviously needed it to be. The promise of more hardware and still honouring digital purchases is at least something.

Last edited:
And that was 22 minutes of really nothing.

We've found out that four specific games are being taken to other devices, but not what they are - and that this change in strategy isn't actually a change in strategy.

🤷‍♂️
If anything, the way they described the games in question (and alongside previous news stories), I'm fairly confident that one of the games is Hi-Fi Rush. At least, that's the main one that I would care about.

So basically, it sounds like the games picked are ones that have more-or-less run their monetary course on Xbox, and are looking to put them on other consoles, probably to gague general interest for future plans if nothing else. Otherwise a nothingburger of a podcast.

I know this'll never happen, but I wish that some of these companies, be it Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or whoever, would just flat-out say "Hey, we're doing X because of Y business-related variable. We obviously can't talk about some of the nitty-gritty reasons, but this is one of the many buisness-related decisions that influence what we do with our brand and platform going forward." I know it's not sexy, but I'd prefer that over 20 minutes of "Long-term health of Xbox" or "Having the biggest platform for people to access our product(s)," which all go under the category of "Yes, because that's how you and your people get paid."

Back