How good are you at gaming after 40/50/60?

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 15 comments
It's a question of what you're playing. At somewhere well north of 50, I'm as good as ever with, say, driving games because I can make up for the slowing of reflexes with experience. Something more dependent on reflexes, such as FPS games, I'm not as good at as I used to be.

I'm 60 next year and have been playing games since Pong in the 1970s. I'm just as bad now as I was then!

The only difference is now, my attention span is much shorter. If playing a FPS or platformer, if I die I give up quite quickly whereas 20 years ago I'd persevere until I had completed the level. That might not be due to age though, I've got 100s of games now compared to the dozens I had before. I completed the first few Tomb Raiders, Gran Turismos, etc on my PS1 in the 90s but I rarely finish a game now. Even with racing games which are my favourites I get frustrated if the race is over 10 minutes long.

If only they would release Mr Do! on the XBox, I could play that all day!
download.png

Last edited:
I can make up some speed due to expérience but even though I don't think I've gotten slower, I think my réduction in speed is most likely to be found in the time I can invest. I used to play a lot more but I simply care less and I've more important things to do.

High paced action games which require lightning sharp réflexes, yes I've lost on that but racing games, it's fine as long as it isn't over the top insanely fast paced.

Last edited:
I'm not even 40 and I can already tell I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be.

A lack of patience and time means if a game is a bit too hard I will just give it up.

As for multiplayer shooters I used to be at or near the top on every COD or BF game, these days it's more like mid table if that, saying that with the amount of youtubers that playing shooters is literally their job and all they do all day its no wonder I can't get anywhere near the top.

Racing games I would say are the only genre I am as good as I used to be, maybe as reflexes don't count as much in a race.

I'm not even 40 and I can already tell I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be.

A lack of patience and time means if a game is a bit too hard I will just give it up.

As for multiplayer shooters I used to be at or near the top on every COD or BF game, these days it's more like mid table if that, saying that with the amount of youtubers that playing shooters is literally their job and all they do all day its no wonder I can't get anywhere near the top.

Racing games I would say are the only genre I am as good as I used to be, maybe as reflexes don't count as much in a race.
I've only just turned 35 and I have been noticing less dexterity and poor reflexes lately in gaming, most notably when trying to be accurate with shooter/FPS games. Sometimes it's so bad it's frustrating.

I play games on the easiest difficulty these days as a result but part of it is I simply don't have the time to play games the way I used to anyways, so I don't need a challenge. I intend to keep gaming into my older years so long as I can.

I've only just turned 35 and I have been noticing less dexterity and poor reflexes lately in gaming, most notably when trying to be accurate with shooter/FPS games. Sometimes it's so bad it's frustrating.

I play games on the easiest difficulty these days as a result but part of it is I simply don't have the time to play games the way I used to anyways, so I don't need a challenge. I intend to keep gaming into my older years so long as I can.
You're right about it being frustrating, basically gave up on warzone and the like as I can't understand how before I can turn and get a shot fired I'm dead.

Can't beat an good old great single player experience these days, especially as adult life means time playing is limited.

And don't get me started in games like Demon sounds and Elden Ring, the rage is real lol

I'm 38 and to be honest I've never thought about it. I don't play online so have never had any reference point for how good I am. I find a difficulty level that I find challenging and fun and that's good for me. More recently though I've found myself being compared to other players on online leaderboards and whereas I'm never top, I've surprised myself by actually being fairly decent at some of them. Stuff like ACC I'm nowhere near, but that's because I'm desperately trying to find half an hour here and there around family life, I'm never going to be that good on games that demand real efforts to learn them because I don't have the time to dedicate.

I've not noticed any drop off in terms of performance over age though. I don't think I'd really care, I'd just drop the difficulty back down a bit. One thing that's actually good is that I never uses to be able to play certain games because I got horrible motion sickness, now that doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. So improvement!!

I'm 50 and I don't think I haven't gotten worst if anything playing videogames most of my life has given me a lot of experience to lean on when playing. I wasn't very quick with inputs so no loss there.

Last edited:
Biggest problem is how many games nowadays you can have, and styles, and long.
I like and im curious of too many, hard to stay on one long enough to get super good maybe vs long ago.
I used to go far in arcades before consoles.😁
Still remember some of them.
Arkanoid, that old star wars space shooter sitting inside a cockpit, in early 80s, pole position, etc.

But I'd say im much better actually still, all around, with experience, depends on the type of game.

If it's a deep tactical rpg, it takes a good investment of time..
Im 60😫 hehe, and feeling it though a lot since the last 5y, energy going down the drain lol.

Also so many things, news, etc nowadays that keep your attention away.
Anyhow, have a good, safe holidays all.

Last edited:
I’m 36. I was way better back in the day but Just because i was able to play more many Hours that now and games were harder. Now I have less time thus training and game are overall easier requiring less effort.

I only got better in racing games

Back