How good is Aston Martin Vulcan? - Comparison test

• Thread starter OJT6627
  • 11 comments
Germany
Germany
Got bored of playing grind races, still not even close to 20 million, so i decided to leave it (i got one car anyway, so doesn't matter) and treat myself with something "cheaper" - an Aston Martin Vulcan...

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about that car in particular: many blamed brakes, some didn't like the handling etc. I didn't like the car that much too when i was doing the Mission race (where the game provides you with one). But i've completed Missions a loong time ago, physics model in GTS changed since then, tyre model has been updated, so i decided to buy the car and give it a go.

I've set it on Racing Hard tyres (since, let's be honest, Sports tyres on a track car is an overkill) and gave it a go on one of the Premium Sports Lounge races and, to be honest, i quite enjoyed it. And at that moment i thought: how does it compare to race-spec cars? And so i decided to do this test

Three cars, all of them Aston Martins:
V8 Vantage Gr.4 (BOP'd)
V12 Vantage Gr.3 (BOP'd)
Vulcan N800 (Stock)
All cars on Racing Hard tyres
ABS on
No TCS
Weak Counter-steer Assist
Driven on DualShock 4

Two tracks: Monza as high-speed track with long braking sections and Streets of Willow Springs as a tight, technical track where low/medium speed grip is crucial

Just an IRL reference: Aston Martin claims that Vulcan is 3 seconds faster than Vantage GT3 car on Snetterton circuit
Lap Times on Monza:
1)Vulcan - 1:51.973
2)Vantage Gr.3 - 1:52.246
3)Vantage Gr.4 - 2:03.231

Lap Times on SoWS:
1)Vantage Gr.3 - 1:11.211
2)Vulcan - 1:12.267
3)Vantage Gr.4 - 1:15.025

Thoughts on the Vulcan:
The car is very oversteer-prone and sometimes spins wheels even on 3rd gear, so you must be very gentle on the accelerator. Brakes are actually very good on Racing Hard tyres, much better than i expected. The car has significant power advantage over the race-spec AMs (which is obvious, since huge power difference), but race-spec cars make it up with much higher stability on low and medium-speed corners.
The biggest issue with Vulcan is the downforce. For a car that has enormous rear wing and was overall built in-mind as a lap-time tearing monster, it feels like Vulcan has almost no downforce at all. And downforce settings are not adjustable and are locked at 0/200 (front/rear), which is ridiculous.
There is possibility that PD intentionally set the downforce of Vulcan on such low level, because otherwise it would be either extremely OP in N-class (i mean, if even a "handicapped" Vulcan can keep up with a Gr.3 racer), or they'd have to put it into Gr.X, which is pretty much useless in this game, but they could at least let us tune it.

Other than that it is a fun car, I recommend you to try it out
That is, if you have spare 3.3 million credits lying around :D

I bought a few of these just to sell back after I got the 330P4 so I would have some credits in the bank. I thought to give them a try. First impression wasn't so great, but in a recent update they allowed the LSD settings to be changed. I was extremely surprised to find what a difference it made!

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the Vulcan.

Feels very sluggish and heavy, like it is an effort to turn and slow down...you know, stuff you want a race car to do well.

I think it's one of those cars that requires an adjustment in driving style and you have to concentrate and remain consistent.

Its not like the new f1 car or an LMP/VisionGT beast, or something OP that you can take liberties with like missing a braking point and it still stops in an instant and allows you to recover the mistake; and because those other cars are so good that you can make that mistake and have enough time to still slow down and make the corner you can be a little less "focused" because it's more like 70-30 in favour of the car doing the work.

The Vulcan isn't like that...at least it isn't how I remember it.

It is more like 70-30 in favour of the driver doing all the work.

I bought a few of these just to sell back after I got the 330P4 so I would have some credits in the bank. I thought to give them a try. First impression wasn't so great, but in a recent update they allowed the LSD settings to be changed. I was extremely surprised to find what a difference it made!
How much did you sell one for? How much does it cost to buy?

I agree with some others that the Aston Martin Vulcan in GT Sport really has awful brakes, and so is the heavy understeer. But in the Nurburgring it was shown to be faster than every other N-class car, only slower than the LaFerrari.

The Vulcan always felt like one is driving a 1600hp Supra. Most of the time one has to half-throttle it just to keep it clean. But maybe it's because I put a lot of trust on its downforce...which is never there...:nervous:

The Vulcan always felt like one is driving a 1600hp Supra. Most of the time one has to half-throttle it just to keep it clean. But maybe it's because I put a lot of trust on its downforce...which is never there...:nervous:
Dont lose your hope. Maybe one day.

Back