How long did you let the ps3 running for endurance races?

  • Thread starter Thread starter superjepoy
  • 48 comments
  • 4,387 views
Messages
50
Messages
superjepoy
Im currently on my 10th hour on 24 hour of le mans (aspec),I pause the game, un plug my G25 and turn off TV. Im scared to death that When i wake up the following morning that my ps3 overheated.

So my question is how long did you guys let your ps3 running for endurance races?!?

I saw one guy on youtube said that he had his ps3 running for 9 days just to finish 24 hour of Le mans. I dont know if thats true tho.
 
I have had mine on up to a week straight running the bspec endurance races. Haven't had any problems yet.
 
There is already a thread about this, but, if you have the newer slim PS3s then you can probably leave it on for a week and be safe (maybe longer, I'm not sure). Just make sure it can get the hot air out easily and that its not super hot in the room. Also check for dust. The longest I've left mine on for was around 16 hours of playing GT5.
 
I left mine (80gig fatty) on for about 2 weeks straight, grinding for points,(now 40/40) and spending the cash. Since then I've been car collecting so it stays on for days on end, I stand mine upright (apparently better for heat escape) and give it a vacuum/wipe down about every week or so. Probably not reccomended, but I've had no problems, not one glitch or frozen screen. but its going to get a rest now I've got everything i think. I'm waiting for the enduro saves before I do the aspec 24's.
 
At least 24 hours.
 
Don't be afraid. As long as your PS3 has some clear space around it, no problems should occur. Very important: it should hover about 2in above the ground. Mine is sitting on four Revell model-paint tin cans
 
2 weeks, Wow that is crazy. If you guys had your ps3 running for that long, that means mine will be ok.
Im planning to finish 24 hour of lemans for 2-3 days. Thanks for your inputs.
 
Mine has been on since the 5th of this month, slim, sitting normally, about 12 inches from a wall on any of the sides. No issues.
 
hawkeye122
Mine has been on since the 5th of this month, slim, sitting normally, about 12 inches from a wall on any of the sides. No issues.

That is insane! Wow.
I have my ps3 well ventilated.

Im not worried now, thanks.
Now, need rest more driving tomorrow.
 
why is everyone so scared? i will tell you. the first Xbox that had the problems caused a scare. a ps3 is best left on, just like anyother electronic. i never turn my PS3 off. this is because of heating & cooling. if you leave you ps3 on it maintains a constit temperature. BTW...my first ps3 was on for 2 years. my current PS3 slim has been on for weeks. i Use standby...i NEVER turn it off fully
 
2 yrs and counting. My last two Ps3's I turned off when I was done playing with them and they lasted a year at best. its my own 2 cents but this one has lasted twice as long by keeping it turned on 24/7.
 
why is everyone so scared? i will tell you. the first Xbox that had the problems caused a scare. a ps3 is best left on, just like anyother electronic. i never turn my PS3 off. this is because of heating & cooling. if you leave you ps3 on it maintains a constit temperature. BTW...my first ps3 was on for 2 years. my current PS3 slim has been on for weeks. i Use standby...i NEVER turn it off fully

Same here. But I think the OP meant the concole being switched on for running his bspecs or something. Mine is the 40gb fat lady, I sometimes un-dust it and never had an issue.
 
Mines a 120 slim upgraded to 320gb, most mine has been left on for is about 32hours :)
 
I've a slim PS and have had it running non-stop for weeks at a time to lvl up Bob to 40. I've had to do it like this because summer in this city is far to hot to leave it on when the aircon is not. No problems at all during cool weather. Theses machines are designed to work like a desktop/laptop and are fine for continued use as long as the ambient temperature isn't in the stupid.
 
I'm going to put mine in the refridgerator when running the long endurance races.

Or not.
 
why is everyone so scared? i will tell you. the first Xbox that had the problems caused a scare. a ps3 is best left on, just like anyother electronic. i never turn my PS3 off. this is because of heating & cooling. if you leave you ps3 on it maintains a constit temperature. BTW...my first ps3 was on for 2 years. my current PS3 slim has been on for weeks. i Use standby...i NEVER turn it off fully

Do you mean fully powered on? Or a combination of on/standby? Dare I ask what happened to this ps3 after 2 years?

Mine goes between on and standby and has done for over 3 years. But I never left it fully on for more than a few hours before GT5, longest I have left it running GT5 (b spec endurance) is around 29 hours.

Very important: it should hover about 2in above the ground

Mines on its side (better for dust?) with a 1 inch gap between the fans and the tv cabinet. Why does it help "hovering" the ps3 above the ground
 
Last edited:
WOW Teddybear, you kept it running for two years? Energy-prices must be pretty low in Stuttgart, hehe. The old phat one sucked about 200W/hr, that's roughly 144kWh per month, which leads us to 1728kWh/year. Given a price of € 0.50 per kWh, that's an enormous € 864 for one year! :crazy:
 
My ps3 has been on since I got it between standby and actual turned on
But the last week it's been only on doing endurance races on Bspec
 
Mine about 50 hours for each a-spec 24h race - so far so well
 
If your going to leave b-spec on it's better to set 480P first because it does decrease the load on the GPU and CPU and several other areas.
 
Hardware lesson:

Your computer, PS3, etc. will hit a peak temperature around 30 minutes to an hour of being "under stress" i.e. playing a 24hr race. Your PS3 will absolutely, positively, not get hotter between hour 6 and hour 24, unless the ambient temperature changes.
 
make sure your system is not sucking in the air it just pushed out and you should be ok for weeks on end. i ran my ps3 slim for 3 weeks solid without turning it off.. constant a-spec or b-spec enduro's :)
 
I have mine standing vertically as well. When I play it for a long while, I have a fan blowing towards it to help the warm air get out....no issues thus far.
 
GT5-Prolougue destroyed my 60GB FAT, just shut off permanently during the intro. Sony replaced it at my cost of course, I had no bill, so my current FAT with Intel SSD has been running every day without a hitch for 5 hours at a time. I will not 24 hr anything Until I can save in race with 1.09
 
Mines on its side (better for dust?) with a 1 inch gap between the fans and the tv cabinet. Why does it help "hovering" the ps3 above the ground

He means the PS3 is on the horizontal position, with all corners raised up for room to dissipate heat off the bottom surface of the system. I also do this as well, and it really helps.
 
I've left mine on 4+ days doing the a-spec rubberband grind numerous times. Why is everyone worried about the 24 hour b-spec races?
 
I used to play in 6-16 hour stretches, always kept it (60GB phat) upright, during the summer with 33C (91F) I used a fan to help blow the hot air away from the system. It worked perfectly. Then my daughter came along and my gaming became one hour here, 3 hours there. So a lot of on/off heating and cooling, Red lighted on my after 6 months and can't be fixed.

Now maybe it was just due to die anyway, it was almost 3 years old, but I do think the old phats don't like being power cycled. I hear the slims have much better thermal gel and they slowly power up to avoid wear from the sudden power increase of turning them on, but that could be BS.
 
Back