How long did you let the ps3 running for endurance races?

  • Thread starter Thread starter superjepoy
  • 48 comments
  • 4,387 views
benda18
I've left mine on 4+ days doing the a-spec rubberband grind numerous times. Why is everyone worried about the 24 hour b-spec races?

Not worried about bspec because ive finished everything on it. Just worried bout aspec 24 hour race.

2nd day
12th hour half way thru
1 lap a head of second car
Using Mazda 787B
 
R34 Skyline VSpec Nur. This would be my wish :)

edit: wrong thread, sorry.
 
Last edited:
Menown
I used to play in 6-16 hour stretches, always kept it (60GB phat) upright, during the summer with 33C (91F) I used a fan to help blow the hot air away from the system. It worked perfectly. Then my daughter came along and my gaming became one hour here, 3 hours there. So a lot of on/off heating and cooling, Red lighted on my after 6 months and can't be fixed.

Now maybe it was just due to die anyway, it was almost 3 years old, but I do think the old phats don't like being power cycled. I hear the slims have much better thermal gel and they slowly power up to avoid wear from the sudden power increase of turning them on, but that could be BS.

Last year my ps3 fatty broke down during the heat wave here in NYC.
 
Wow! I have never left my ps3 on for more than 4 hours or I get paranoid about it breaking down.
 
Wow! I have never left my ps3 on for more than 4 hours or I get paranoid about it breaking down.

Why? Why on Earth would you think a PS3 is that fragile?

Mine has been running for 3 years without being switched off. I used to leave it running Folding@home when not playing/watching Blu-rays but these days I leave it running b-spec remote races.

I just dont get this paranoia about leaving PS3's running. So long as they are well ventalated there is no reason to think they are going to break.
 
Its just a computer.....they do tend to run warmer but with proper ventilation, all should be good. My laptop is basically on 24/7 as is my wife's computer.
 
Phat 60GB for 3 straight months. Between my gf watching movie or playing game during the day, me playing video game in the evening, and rubber banding or B-spec endurance overnight, the PS3 has been running non stop since late November.

The Phat 60GB was rarely off since I purchased it in 2007. It's in an empty shelf by itself. I clean the vents weekly and check the temperature. It's not even hot. The exhaust air is barely warm. Maybe I am lucky.

I also have a another Phat 60GB and a Phat 80GB. They are all alive and well.
 
Last edited:
I left my fat PS3 run for almost a week straight doing all the B-SPEC endurance races. It felt just as warm on the first 2 hours as it did on the 5th day :tup:I do blow the dust out every once in a while (vacuum trick is a joke IMO, only gets surface dust out...).
 
Not worried about bspec because ive finished everything on it. Just worried bout aspec 24 hour race.
Stop worrying and live your life man :)
 
If you just keep your room a little chilly when you go to sleep and keep your PS3 well ventilated you should be okay leaving it on for long. If it can get air and keep cool the length of running shouldn't matter. With a fat you should be a little more cautious, but vacuum cleaning it before would also help a lot. (don't put the mouth piece of the vacuum cleaner in contact with the PS3, just hold it a few centimeters away, and you will avoid static electricity building up) Also elevating it will be a good idea. Just a book under each end, or something in each corner to keep the bottom a few centimeters clear of the shelf helps wonders to keep it cool.
 
I have done both 24hr races in an X1, just to get the gold trophy and I plan to do them again soon in a more 'real' car. For both A-Spec races my PS3 was on for less than 48hrs, I found in an X1 you only need race around 12-13hrs and can idle for the rest.

If you are not bothered about having a competitive race and just want to get them done, use an X1 as your PS3 will not need to be on for very long.
 
Mine has on for about 2 months. Mid-December to mid-February. Never turned it off.
 
if your worried put a fan on it...it should be good just make sure that their is nothing blocker the vent in the back of the PS3
 
My 60GB fatty has been on for 5 days doing the b-spec endurance races, i have it near a window.
 
Fattie PS3 - Left it on for 2 (pushing 3) weeks straight when I hit endurance race series... which was sometime in December I believe. No issues since.

It was the 40GB version, but I put in a 160GB hard drive the week I got it.
 
I did my B-Spec enduros, followed immediately by my A-Spec enduros and had my PS3 running for 7 weeks straight, 24/7. It was a champ.

Jerome
 
Its now 3 days and counting. I only have 6 hours left on 24 hours of lemans.
Im pretty beat out right now, time to rest then final stretch tomorrow.
 
Mine's on constantly for weeks now, it's not even hot when I touch it.
 
Back