How long have ''you'' been playing GT ??

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpawnBlack
  • 66 comments
  • 3,820 views

What was your first GT?


  • Total voters
    193
GT1 in Japanese....and of course the customary "Why do I keep failing this first licence? what does it WANT from me?!" :lol:

All the best
Maz
 
But..But you left out Gran Turismo concept :sly:
And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those darn kids.
 
Gran Turismo 1 here.

I remember reading about it in a friends Official Playstation Magazine when I was around 11 quite a while before it came out, and thought that it looked amazing.

I got a Playstation and GT and played it pretty heavily, and have been a fan of the series since.

GT also started my love/hate relationship with the Subaru Impreza. I loved how it looked, but of course it just understeered too much, and wasn't as fun as an FR car. The relationship was finally killed off when they just made it plain ugly, so I thank them for that.

I actually used to spend most of my time (once money was no longer an issue) just scouring the second hand lots for new FR cars to drift around in.

GT2 I never found the handling to be quite right, really didn't settle into that game as much, but how I loved the muscle cars :)

Got a PS2 the Christmas it came out, waited patiently for GT3 and absolutely loved it. A month or two prior to GT4 coming out I got a DFP in preparation.

GT4 was epic, I loved how the handling seemed that bit more challenging, it took that bit longer before I could drift reliably with the wheel. I effectively played it until my PS2 rendered it unplayable due to it constantly just failing to load anything. Every time that white loading timer appeared, it would be a lottery as to whether it would spend the next 30minutes randomly going red every so often, and never loading.

This was a massive shame, as I only ever got to about 60% of GT4, so many cars never driven...

Pre-ordered the PS3/GT5P bundle and bought a 1080p TV and G25 to go with it.

When you think about it, reading that magazine 11 years ago turned out to be quite expensive.
 
Last edited:
I started with GT on the PlayStation, but wasn't playing games much at that time so I didn't really get hooked till I got GT3 A-Spec with the wheel. Then I immediately had to mod a chair so I could actually use the wheel properly. I'm still using that chair to this day.
 
I started with GT, before that I was always into racing games but not so much into cars specifically. GT caught me at an age where I started to notice cars and at the same time it developed my interest in cars that I didn't see around me.

I still have GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4 and ofcourse GT5:P, though the case for GT1 along with my first PS1 was crushed by a TV that was on a stool, and then wasn't on a stool. So it's in a blank disk case now.
 
Last edited:
GT1, I was about 4 or 5 years old, but didn't play that much since it was at my cousins house, so I only played about once a week. I purchased a PS1 simply for the release of GT2 and played this all the time. My first start was basically GT2 since I didn't get a chance to play GT1 all that much. Now I have GT1 PAL, GT2 in PAL and NTSC, GT3 PAL, GT Concept, GT4, and GT5P.
 
I played GT1 a few times at a friends house. But I didn't get hooked on the series until GT2. Bought the PS1, PS2, and now PS3 for the sole intent of playing these games.
 
GT1 and all the games after.I still have them all.Bought my PS3 just for GT5P.:)

A man after my own heart! I also originally brought the PS2 for GT3. To this day, I have more Gran Turismo games for my PS2 than any other (I was an xbox fan last generation).
 
i started playing from the original. matter of fact it was one of the games i got when i got my playstation so that got me hooked since i only had that and 2 other games to play. and i still have my copy of GT and its a black label so that makes me happy cuz there hard to find now it seems. ive played all the GT games and still have them all GT2 which i never owned only played at friends house's.
 
I first played a Gran Turismo back in 1999 when I was four, when GT2 first shipped. I remember fondly that I had learned on my first racing game, Need for Speed III: HP, that the fastest way around a corner was not hitting walls, and to use my "revolutionary" driving line that I had discovered. It took a week to be able to beat my dad, and I still remember my first drive. It was arcade mode, driving a rather cool looking car called the Honda NSX, around a rather cool looking track called Trial Mountain. The NSX was white.
 
Year 2000 when I was 7 and the GT2 played it for a year or two, then went for the GT and I was like no... so I bought GT3 when It came out, then GT4 and GT5:P arrived this July along with the PS3

GT2 is on PSP too lol yea!
 
  • Gran Turismo
  • Gran Turismo 2
  • Gran Turismo 3
  • Gran Turismo Concept 2002 Tokyo-Geneva
  • Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
  • Gran Turismo 4 BMW 1 Series Demo
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Gran Turismo HD
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

I deleted GTHD some time ago though.
 
GT2 was the only one I missed out on.
 
Since GT1 :rolleyes:

* Gran Turismo Demo
* Gran Turismo
* Gran Turismo 2 Demo
* Gran Turismo 2
* Gran Turismo Concept 2001 Tokyo
* Gran Turismo 3
* Gran Turismo Concept 2002 Tokyo-Geneva
* Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
* Gran Turismo 4
* Gran Turismo HD
* Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
 
Ive been playing since the original GT came out. The only game Ive missed is GT4 Prologue, wasn't too interested in getting it and just waited for the full game instead.
 
Been playing since the original came out on PS1

Before that it was Lotus turbo challenge, supercars and test drive on the Amiga.

Before that it was outrun in the arcades, Grand prix on the ZX Spectrum, Pole position on the atari and in the arcades and, for the very first digital driving experience I ever had there was 100 lines of code in a ZX81 mag that hammered the processor so hard it made a buzzing noise in the TV speakers that increased in pitch the faster you went. This was as close to sound as you could get on a machine that had no sound.

Don't listen to anything anyone tells you - those were not the days :sly:
 
Don't listen to anything anyone tells you - those were not the days :sly:

Oh yes they were... :dopey: If it weren't for those days, sitting wide eyed and vacant, wishing for something that at least looked like a bit like a car and track, we wouldn't now appreciate quite the same the digital near-perfection that we are approaching with GT5.

I think that's why I'll never moan about GT's little faults (if indeed the final GT5 had any...). Weaned on Pole Position, I'm in childish adult heaven now.
 
Oh yes they were... :dopey: If it weren't for those days, sitting wide eyed and vacant, wishing for something that at least looked like a bit like a car and track, we wouldn't now appreciate quite the same the digital near-perfection that we are approaching with GT5.

The thing that amazes me is we actually played those games. I've tried going back to them from time to time on emulators and the like and I'm always like "jesus was my mind so small back then that this was all it took to occupy it?"
 
Hi,

i'm playing GT since GT1

- Gran Turismo Demo
- Gran Turismo
- Gran Turismo 2 Demo
- Gran Turismo 2
- Gran Turismo Concept 2001 Tokyo
- Gran Turismo 3
- Gran Turismo Concept 2002 Tokyo-Geneva
- Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
- Gran Turismo 4
- Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Only "Gran Turismo 4 HD" was never on my list.
 
The thing that amazes me is we actually played those games. I've tried going back to them from time to time on emulators and the like and I'm always like "jesus was my mind so small back then that this was all it took to occupy it?"

Hahaha, exactly right... I seem to remember loving these things when they first appeared, now I just wonder why I had nothing better to do.

Now I do have better things to do but the games are too damn good. I would've said the same back then I assume but I was obviously a stupid child. :dunce:
 
Well you must remember this, i dont know about where you lived but when i was growing up in London there were only 3 tv channels to choose from. So we all know much fun TV was back then in the early 80's....lol NOT, so the games back then were everything to us and the only new thing that kept us occupied other that the Rubix Cube.......what a load of rubbish that was:crazy:
 
Been playing GT since the first game. I remember going into the shop, seeing the demo running (TVR Griffith on Trial Mountain) and my jaw almost hitting the floor. It seemed such a big step forward from what had gone before.

Prior to that it was similar to P3nT4gR4m's.

WEC Le Mans, Outrun, Hard Drivin', Race Drivin' and Sega Rally on the arcade.

Lotus Challenge, Test Drive, Stunt Car Racer, Vroom, Geoff Crammond's F1 on the Amiga.

The original Need for Speed on the PC.

Then the GT series all the way with a bit of Richard Burns Rally on the PS2 for good measure.

Where's my life gone? :lol:

Used to get good value from those arcade games. I remember being on holiday in Newquay in the mid eighties when I was 8 or 9 years old. I got addicted to Outrun and by the middle of the week I was completing it regularly. The first time I did it, I climbed out of the seat and was surprised to find a crowd of about 10 blokes who gave me a round of applause! I ran off embarrassed but secretly felt like a driving god. :O:cool::lol:
 
Last edited:
I got addicted to Outrun and by the middle of the week I was completing it regularly. The first time I did it, I climbed out of the seat and was surprised to find a crowd of about 10 blokes who gave me a round of applause! I ran off embarrassed but secretly felt like a driving god. :O:cool::lol:

Same for me with Sega Rally... 15 years ago I worked on the road in sales and my area included some seaside resorts... I used to go in to the arcades at lunch time to play it in my business suit ... must have looked a bit sad alongside all the people on holiday. I still remember the first time I finished Sega Rally, in an arcade in Southport surrounded by about 20 kids... what an amazing feeling :D

Bought a PS1, 2 & 3 just to play the GT series - though also played the Colin McRae Rally (1 & 2) and the WRC series.
 
Same for me with Sega Rally... 15 years ago I worked on the road in sales and my area included some seaside resorts... I used to go in to the arcades at lunch time to play it in my business suit ... must have looked a bit sad alongside all the people on holiday. I still remember the first time I finished Sega Rally, in an arcade in Southport surrounded by about 20 kids... what an amazing feeling :D

That last long, twisty stage was a real challenge to do without hitting the sides. The amount of pedal bashing, gear changing and sheer lock to lock sideways action was crazy. Luckily I was a student at the time and not Didier Auriol in a business suit. :p
 
Didier Auriol in a business suit. :p

LMAO :D

Yes, the last stage was awsome... manic pedal bashing and steering wheel twirling!
 
I got so hooked on GT1 that my wife banned me and sold the Playstation-1! So I missed out on everything until GT4, which by then, I had been such a good boy, I got it with a PS2 for my birthday only last year. Of course, I promptly exchanged the PS2 for a PS3..."we needed the BluRay too" don't you know. ;)
 
I've been playing since GT1. I actually remember Christmas day that year, because I got really mad at my parents because I thought they got me the wrong kind of game, because the case has the two disc slots, and one disc. I think I actually threw a temper tantrum, and I remember crying.

But then I popped it in my PS1, and boy was I happy from that day on. I used to bring GT2 over to my friend's house and even his dad (we were 10 or 11 at the time) used to play "who can get the fastest time in the HK Drag car?"
 
Playin since gt1 came out and proud of it :)
 
Got my copy of GT3 (Japaniese Version) in 2001 and the rest is history :sly: The PS2 was my first console (bar the original Gameboy).

normal_DSC00124.jpg


Must buy GT2 someday because I keep hearing good things about it and selection of cars was excellent.

Robin
 
Last edited:
Ive been addicted since the first.Could never wait for the next and the next.Love how its kept true to its origins of 'The Real Driving Simulator'.
 
Back