How many people have faulty PS3 consoles?

• Thread starter TonyJZX
  • 48 comments

TonyJZX

(Banned)
Australia
Australia
I have a slim, I think a 2009 model. With the 160Gb drive. It spent its life running GT5/6. Right now maybe 60% of the time it boots up with a flashing screen like a PC with video card fail. I just keep rebooting it until it displays a solid picture. Maybe it works better once the GPU has heated up?

I dont really blame Gran Turismo as obviously its the Nvidia gpu doing what Nvidia gpus do. It has done literally a few days running GT5 B-spec.

I just hope the thing lasts long enough to see GT6 having its support cut off like GT5.

I have a slim, I think a 2009 model. With the 160Gb drive. It spent its life running GT5/6. Right now maybe 60% of the time it boots up with a flashing screen like a PC with video card fail. I just keep rebooting it until it displays a solid picture. Maybe it works better once the GPU has heated up?

I dont really blame Gran Turismo as obviously its the Nvidia gpu doing what Nvidia gpus do. It has done literally a few days running GT5 B-spec.

I just hope the thing lasts long enough to see GT6 having its support cut off like GT5.

Have you tried a different TV/display? It sounds suspiciously like the HDMI HDCP handshake failure that I used to get on one of my HD TVs. The screen would flash on and off with a horrid fuzzy pattern, before finally synchronising up, which could be achieved by leaving it on long enough, by repeatedly removing and inserting the HDMI cable, by changing the source/input on the TV, or rebooting the console. When it was finally able to start displaying the images, it looked absolutely fine.

Information about the issue can be found here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/how-to/a1266/4212161/

Also I think that Nvidia GPU comment is terrifically unfair. My laptop and two desktops all use Nvidia GPUs which work absolutely fine, as does my phat PS3 from 2006...

Since my launch day unit I've had a total of five PS3 (all original fat PS2 compatible ones), the current one has been going well enough as a media player in the bedroom for a few years now (as it was replaced with my PS4 in the living room).

You might want to get the HDMI cable replaced before assuming you have a fault with the console. I have a 120GB PS3 Slim and about two years after purchase (~2012), the screen would flicker and turn fuzzy, similar to the symptoms described by @chzsln485. It is also worth noting that the cable has been in use before buying the PS3, so I purchased a new HDMI cable and everything was back to normal.

I'd also double check the cable. I've had a slim, and it's probably from around 2009 or so as well, and I've never had any problems with it. It's been nice as I went through a few PS2s, I think three. The PS3 has never been in a smoking environment, though, but the PS2s were.

First PS3 40GB fat got YLOD, my second PS3 Slim 160GB (not super slim) is still going strong.

I haven't had much of a problem with my CECH-20BA Slimline PS3 console at all, it is the 120GB model with a Terabyte of space, but the thing that concerns me is some slow downs during online sessions, other than that it has lasted longer than my old 40GB PS3 FAT.

I think my has a corrupt hard drive... Many issues spanning accross many games. Including super slow loading, freezing and lagging on games etc. on GT6 Silverstone doesn't load and it lag spikes A LOT! That killed every online race

My 2010 Slim 320 GB (Which I got for christmas 2010 in combination with GT5 - lovely memories :D) is still running super strong.

I always kept it well ventilated and dust-free on the outside. I never opened it up tho.

My friend's 2009 160 GB slim, that was used for hours of GTA, Assassins Creed and GT5 is also running very good, but he had to open it once because it was constantly crashing when running GTA 5 I think.

My 60GB Fat PS3 with backwards compatibility finally got the YLOD about a month ago after working for 10 years! :( The laser also had to be replaced at one point.

The original PS3's were pretty unreliable but because the 360 was so unbelievably unreliable it made the PS3's look good! :lol:

My first PS3 was a 60GB fatty. It died after 3.5 years of use, and I suspect the culprit was the 24h enduros in GT5 and all that B-spec XP/money grinding.

Then I bought a 120GB slim which is still going strong to this day (almost the same age as my previous fatty, knock on wood). Though my gaming habits have decreased significantly lately and I never run it for 24h straight anymore.

My first PS3 was a 40gb one. Died of YLOD at around 4 years old waiting for GT5 to come out.

I then bought a Slim. I still have it. It's currently 7 years old. I don't even remember what model it is. I think it's the 160gb model as well. That PS3 has seen so many games, entertained me for hours a day, moved to three different houses across two countries, nearly 1000 miles... That thing has history... memories... good and bad... Today it sits in my apartment's living room, happily retired as an occasional Bluray player... Next to her there's a nearly 10 year old Xbox 360 belonging to my best friend, which incredibly never RROD'ed. that Xbox introduced me to Forza, which changed my life.

It's sure to say that Slim PS3 will never run another game. It works perfectly. It never failed, but its gaming days are over. I have a PS4 and an Xbox One and I even rarely touch those. I'm now proudly a full-time #MasterRace

However... my attachment to that PS3 is too great to ever get rid of it. It basically holds my past life...

Nope, got a 40gb fatty running for 8 years no problems; Did a 500GB SSHD swap about 3(?) years ago...

I think I'm lucky, because most people I'm close to have had at least 2 consoles, because of YLOD etc.

The 80gb fat PS3 i got from 2009 still works really well surprisingly. It's my GT only PS3 as now I have a 2nd one (300gb slim) for Move Games, Motorstorm etc

I got a 250GB slim about 8 or 9 years ago now, i think and it still works just fine :) My brother went through 3 PS3s and now a 2nd PS4 including worn out controllers. I am still using the same controllers that came with my PS3 and they work fine still. I assume that either i haven't used my PS3 anywhere NEAR as much as people regularly do or my brother sweats acid into his controllers :crazy:

I had a used 80gb fat that wasn't so good from day one. After 2 years of frustration and an intermittent YLOD, I recently bought 500gb slim. Man, is it nice. I love the sliding door for the disc, you can even see the bluray if you want to clean it.

I had a couple of PS2's that I got used too, which didn't last. The one I have now was purchased new, and still works great 10 years later.

I've got a 2009 slim 160 model and never had any issues at all with it. In fact I have had pretty good luck with consoles in general. Never had one fail until last week when my XBox1 gave up the ghost. Fortunately it is still under warranty and will be repaired or replaced. I have on hand ATM a Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, PS2, PS3 and XBox 360 all work like a champ and always have though I did wear out the original controllers for the Genesis.

I've also had good luck with nVidia GPUs. had 2 failed in the last 20 years and both of those had several years of 24/7 usage before they gave up so can't complain ...

I've had my 500gig SuperSlim PS3 since Christmas 2012, there were no faults with it EVER and I've been playing games on it for multiple hours EVERY SINGLE DAY for the first 2.5 years, only problem is that it's full of dust. I should get it cleaned...

I think I just jinxed myself. :banghead:

My PS3 turns its self on at midnight and then turns its self off if you consider that faulty.
Lol my TV does a similar thing, the normally red-when-off light flashes blue for a couple of minutes starting at 3 in the morning. XD The light is blue when the TV is on, and flashing when the TV is starting up, I wonder what the hell makes it flash at 3am?

Lol my TV does a similar thing, the normally red-when-off light flashes blue for a couple of minutes starting at 3 in the morning. XD The light is blue when the TV is on, and flashing when the TV is starting up, I wonder what the hell makes it flash at 3am?

Some TVs have alarms or can be programed to turn on certain time.

I am pretty lucky never had a problem with my 80gb which I have had from 2008. Its lived in 3 countries, UK, Italy and now Aus where it hits 45 degrees in the summer!! The fans still like to spool up but so far so good.

Some TVs have alarms or can be programed to turn on certain time.
It not a very new TV, it's from around 2011 I think, and it's not a smart TV, just a basic LED HDTV, perfect for gaming as it is the perfect 1920x1080 60cm size with 16:9 ratio and has no input delay, it's a Hitachi.

I can't find any settings about any alarms but there are "timers", things you can set for the TV to do at a certain time of day, but I don't have any of them set, so the TV shouldn't be doing anything on it's own, the only thing that happens is the light flashing, and it's only for a couple of minutes, maybe 5. It's been like that since the start.

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm off topic.

I don't know the condition of my controller, my neighbor has had it for over 2 months. I know the X button would stick though.

I've lost 2 consoles, one that lasted from (ps3) release year and then YLOD about a year ago then the second was a slim that lasted about 6 months with only GT6 installed before the GPU packed up.

I bought a 2nd hand slim 1 and a half years ago, after my old fat one died.
It runs well except for some tracks like Silverstone and Spa where the reader gets kind of stuck because those two tracks are always loading content. It sucks because they are two of my favorite tracks...

I've got a heavily used 3 year old super slim. Took it on vacation then accidentally dropped it from thigh level onto the hotel floor trying to put it into the room's safe. Other than a broken piece of plastic, it's still trucking along.

Back