How many people have faulty PS3 consoles?

• Thread starter TonyJZX
  • 48 comments
My 2008 PS3 died due to an IO controller problem late last year. I think I probably should have put a dust cover over it when I was cutting plaster board......

I've now got a 2nd hand slim which sometimes has to be put on its back to read disks and recently a 2nd hand FAT PS3 which seems to work fine.

My PS2 is still used occasionally too.

My slim ps3 works fine....

....except for the fact it has no Blu-ray drive and the top cover is broken....

Originally I didn't have a 1080p capable display, but since getting one I never got 1080p out of the console. That it may eventually start working is new to me, I will try this soon.

edit: better than I expected, worked one-frame.

Last edited:
My PS3 turns its self on at midnight and then turns its self off if you consider that faulty.
If you have PS Plus, thats why. It searches for system and game updates and then it turns off by itself. The default time is 3:00 AM, but is programmable.

I had my PS3 80GB since 2011 and I never had a problem but I think it 's time to change and move on to the PS4

My old Fat PS3 that I got in 2008 stopped reading discs a couple of years back.

Well, at least it was a good excuse to get a 500GB Super Slim which still (unsurprisingly) still works perfectly.

Yes, I did chuck the old PS3 in the Rubbish. Well not physically chuck it because those damn things are heavy as ****. Also, I almost chucked it out before I realised I needed to plug both systems up together through Ethernet to transfer everything over. I was this close to losing everything. Too damn close.

Also, on the topic of controllers, I still have the original controllers from my old PS3 (that still work a charm) as well as two controllers that came with my "new" PS3 and a blue DS3 which gets the most use these days and I have had that for at least 3 years now.

Last edited:
My launch 60GB is still dead after getting YLOD, it is definitely the lead free solder under the RSX which has cracked due to 10 years of hot/cold cycles. I'm still pretty upset about it because I took good care of it and everything else is working.

No one offers a full BGA reballing service and I don't think anyone actually ever did over here. I do NOT want a reflow done. Either way it would cost nearly as much as buying another PS3! Waiting to see if the Neo has PS3 BC.

If only the Cell and RSX had been attached in a removable PC style socket rather than soldered this never would have happened.

My launch 60GB is still dead after getting YLOD, it is definitely the lead free solder under the RSX which has cracked due to 10 years of hot/cold cycles. I'm still pretty upset about it because I took good care of it and everything else is working.

No one offers a full BGA reballing service and I don't think anyone actually ever did over here. I do NOT want a reflow done. Either way it would cost nearly as much as buying another PS3! Waiting to see if the Neo has PS3 BC.

If only the Cell and RSX had been attached in a removable PC style socket rather than soldered this never would have happened.

The reason why they soldered it was to save money. The 360 had the same problem but worse.

The reason why they soldered it was to save money. The 360 had the same problem but worse.

Chips that ran that hot and were that powerful in small cases should have never been soldered directly to the motherboard. It's fine when the processors are mobile ones like those in laptops but these were in essence like sticking a reasonably high end desktop CPU and GPU right next to each other. They melted themselves off the board!

The PS3 was already costing Sony whopping $840 to produce per unit. Any saving measures they could take they did!

I don't know about the YLOD but the Red Ring on the 360 was the system getting so hot that the solder holding the GPU to the motherboard would melt and the GPU would come off the motherboard.

The PS3, even with the cost cutting was still legendarily expensive at launch. If they had socketed the CPU and GPU it would have made the PS3 the next 3DO.

The difference is that Cell was made in a server environment in mind, as far as I know, and it endures more heat stress than 360. Cell's ideal temperature of operation is around 60/80°C, that's why it can desolder itself but not on the same speed as 360 was. I see many complaints for overheating old model PS3s more recently than when it was current-gen.

I really recommend Slim or Super Slim models, they changed to less power hungry chips, leading to less heat overall.

My 2009/2010 (I'm not sure which year xD) 160gb ps3 is still working (It's where I play GT6 :D ). It has been with some freezing problems, but since I changed it from place it never happened again. I think that it was too close to a wall and it heated much or something like that.

I actually just sold both my PS3s this morning. One wouldn't play GT6(don't know how many times I had to uninstall and install the game), but the other one did. The one that played GT6 would get stuck playing bluray movies.

Back