How much slower are you from the top dogs?

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 228 comments
Greece
Salonica
When I first got GT Sport I was more than 10% slower than the top times on Sport mode. Then on average I remember improving to 7%, then 5% and today I managed a 3.7% within the top time for the Mount Panorama Daily race. Still I'm chasing that elusive 2% that will require pushing to the limit.

What is your distance to the top times and progression?

I see you're a casual GT Sport player. Well then that 50 seconds means you casually just cruise around. Ever tried full throttle on straights? :dunce:

Around 5 seconds. The only difference between when I started playing the game and now is in how long it takes me to reach that gap. Before it would take me 4 hours of hot lapping to get within 5 seconds of the record times. Now I'm getting there within 2 hours of hot lapping. I usually won't race until I'm within 5 or so seconds of the record time. For the limited time I commit to this game that appears to be a good balance for me.

It really depends on the track. Not just in the sense that a five second gap at RBR is a lot different than the 'Ring: I mean I'm much better at certain tracks than others.

I was eight seconds off at the Nordschleife in the Evo X spec race a few months ago, which was enough to put me 62nd in the Americas (and 12th in Canada). But that's a track I'm very comfortable with, and road cars suit my driving style. Getting into the top 1–2 percent is possible if I put more than a cursory effort in — on GTS or FM7 anyway, but seemingly not other games :(.

Like @BallPtPenTheif I find the amount of time I invest versus my results ideal. I'd probably move a little further up if I used the wheel regularly instead of once in a while, and it'd likely take me less time to find my groove, especially in Gr.3 or faster. But that's prime living room real estate right now!

^Fair point Ball, you also consider consistency of adjacent laps? I sure do, before entering a race.

Definitely. However if my hot lap time is on the fringe of my ability I definitely shift my braking points slightly back in the race to stay on track and run consistent laps. So I'll go into a race knowing that my real lap time is 1 second slower than my hot lap so I can expect that the people within 1 second of my time have the potential to easily pass me at the beginning. If they are posting times faster than their hot lap then I know they're probably going to blow it before the end of the race and that it's pointless to fight their pass on the first lap.

The top times in daily races are grossly misleading, as the aliens more often than not tend to not bother with daily races, let along pushing hard in obtaining an optimal lap. Then there is a big disparity in race pace, consistency and race craft amongst people in the top 50.
I myself was in the top 10 on EMEA region on bathurst yesterday and I consider myself garbage at the game, especially compared to someone like TRL Lightning.

Just goes to show how people, in a facile manner, tend to overemphasize the importance of a fast hotlap in casual mode.

My gap is between 1 and 2 percent for a long long time now, way longer than GTS exists. It's my limit however.
Takes a bit of work, and I need to get to that point where I "understand the car's needs".
I do better in slower cars usually, I don't get nowhere in a Tomahawk X :scared: !
You've noticed I prefer measure the gap in percent since being 1.5 sec slower is pretty great on Suzuka, an eternity on Miyabi though.

:cheers:

My gap is between 1 and 2 percent for a long long time now, way longer than GTS exists. It's my limit however.
Takes a bit of work, and I need to get to that point where I "understand the car's needs".
I do better in slower cars usually, I don't get nowhere in a Tomahawk X :scared: !
You've noticed I prefer measure the gap in percent since being 1.5 sec slower is pretty great on Suzuka, an eternity on Miyabi though.

:cheers:

I think that's complete nonsense, no offence. Even the best drivers evolve daily, no matter how small the increments are. The real problem is that you're not pushing yourself and thus lack tangible progress.

I'm usually about 1-2 seconds off the 10th place driver in the FIA top 10 on a normal sized track (1:30-2:00 lap). Every now and again I'll get in the same second as 10th place, but only a few time.

It varies track to track obviously but I can usually tell if I'll be competitive or not based on how far off I am from the top 10. And more often than not I am right.

@AUTISTICBOYX

:)

I'll try to take that as a compliment, mate ... you tell me there's more in me basically :D !
I think it's where my talent ends though first and foremost.

... The real problem is that you're not pushing yourself and thus lack tangible progress.

You're absolutely correct. I never had that ambition ... and I'm pleased as soon as I've reached a laptime within my "usual" gap ;) [ shrugs shoulders ]

Id like to say 1-1.5sec per minute depending on track. So 2-3% i guess. On usual 1:30ish lap im about 2 sec behind. A bit less if good combo or a bit of practice and a bit more on a random few lap quali on not that familiar track.

I drive just few races per week and qualify anything between few to hundred laps. I think my biggest problem would still be consistency - or the lack of it. I can propably put my self somewhere mid DR A/35k, but from there i think id need more practise and time to advance.

Last edited:
About 11.8 Parsecs. :sly:

Depends on the track but on average 3-5 seconds. What may be different from others is my time hasn't improved much since I started. Evidence of that is my K Speed Score which is based on qualifying times has only gone up 2-3% during that time.

But I have become much more consistent now. Start higher. Place better. Race against better drivers. Experience has been the biggest factor for me. Losing is learning.

@AUTISTICBOYX

:)

I'll try to take that as a compliment, mate ... you tell me there's more in me basically :D !
I think it's where my talent ends though first and foremost.

You're absolutely correct. I never had that ambition ... and I'm pleased as soon as I've reached a laptime within my "usual" gap ;) [ shrugs shoulders ]

You can substitute talent with IQ: it's just a parameter. To put it crudely: a variable function, roughly assessing your time total required to reach your goals. You could view it as a knob -- inherently set to exert a certain amount of friction and resistance to your task; but either way, unless you happen to be cursed by a grave impairment, the only real constraints here are time and conscientiousness. Lack of progress despite persistent training is merely a symptom of inadequate approach.

For instance: to someone with a fervent aspiration of becoming a great pianist, it would be rather asinine to only play Für Elise (a rather uninspiring piece in respect to difficulty) every day expecting tangible improvement across the board. What will happen is that you'll only improve in a tiny spectrum of playing that one piece with some negligible benefit to certain pattern recognition. This constitutes inefficient training, outright waste of time frankly.
- It would be far more beneficial to structurize your practice, making a schedule; taking 10-15 minutes sessions at a time with intense concentration on what you really need to learn (scales, staccato, arpeggios ...) and then wind down by applying that practise to an enjoyable (albeit challenging) task. Variety is key as well, it's a stimulant and will aid in retaining focus.

------

42k DR, top 1%, not really garbage standard, is it.

It's a matter of perspective.
- The higher you soar, the more you realize how tiny you are.

Back