How much slower are you from the top dogs?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by AlexDB9, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

I'm okay.

I'm going to leave it at just that.

2. AUTISTICBOYX

AUTISTICBOYX

Aren't mercy mains a one-trick? ;)
    Not making a proverbial jab here, hehe.

AlexDB9 likes this.
  3. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

[​IMG]
    :lol:
    Mercy was my first main, shortly followed by D. Va. I used to be a Mercy one-trick, specifically in competitive mode, but I'm more of a tank and support main now. :D

And to reply to the comment you made earlier in the thread: Most of the top people are likely putting a ton of focus on the FIA races. Usually, I'd notice some of the top people in NA get their times soon after the races change. This week, it took about 2-3 days before some of them put their times down.

But I do like to think that comparing your times to those up top gives you an idea of where you stand within the track. It's going to vary track by track.

fastone371, 8l23ub, AlexDB9 and 3 others like this.
  4. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

Depends on the track. Around 2 - 3 seconds from the world top time, in my region it’s normally a second or two.

AlexDB9 and Pigems like this.
  5. breeminator

breeminator

It's just that it doesn't really leave much in the way of terms for people below the top 1%. If top 1% = garbage, how do you describe people in the top 10%, top 20% etc? So to me, it makes more sense to describe the levels as something like:
    Bottom 25% = well below average
    Bottom 50% = below average
    Top 50% = above average
    Top 10% = well above average
    Top 5% = very good
    Top 1% = extremely good
    Top 0.1% = exceptional
    Top 0.01% = alien
    that sort of thing.

6. ROCKET JOE

ROCKET JOE

A bit off topic now but anyway :
    If you're unable to let your feel and soul flow through hands and keys into the strings of that piano, you'll never be a great pianist, no matter how hard you try, it'll be nothing but finger exercises.
    You can't replace talent with IQ !

Well now, on my way to the line I go with @Mistah_MCA :
    I'm ok with what I've got.

7. AUTISTICBOYX

AUTISTICBOYX

I don't necessarily view the top 1 percentile on the Gaussian distribution as "garbage" (evidently it's not) but rather make that value judgement of my own capability in comparison to an alien like TRL Lightning.

- In my mind the difference between a +1Standard deviation player (above average) and a +3SD player (top 2%~) is much smaller than that of a +3SD player and an alien.
    Why? Because as we (theoretically) approach the limit, it becomes exponentially harder to reach it.

Pigems and AlexDB9 like this.
  8. kilesa4568

kilesa4568

I'm not! I've seen way too much of the rear of your car over the years.:D

Personally, I'm crap at qualifying (2-3% off the top if I try) as it feels like pulling teeth chasing tenths. Life's too short.

I get a lot of action packed races though. What I'm there for.

9. Vin Sinn

Vin Sinn

My K score is 88.37, was better except for the track/car combo's I had trouble with. In the top 1%, down from the top 0%, in 2018 I had over 40 top 10 times and Twice I had the #1 spot after qualifications ended. MY DR peaked at 62,930 before last summers FIA, which I didn't understand how my DR would drop significantly after every single race, even though I raised my position every single time. It was so frustrating that I haven't hardly raced GTSport since. I don't consider myself a 'Top Dog" but I do have 281 wins in just 687 races, not too bad I guess, for an old guy, LOL.

10. TetsuKobura

TetsuKobura Premium

Depends on the combo, honestly. If it's say, RB14 Std @ Le Mans, I can just get near the top 50 with some effort and could crack top 25 if I put in enough effort. However, if it's like Gr.3 @ Interlagos, or any track that isn't an oval/Le Mans, I'd be like 2 seconds off pace easily.

AlexDB9 likes this.
  11. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

It depends...
    For the most part totally out of their league by 1-3 seconds.

12. Riptide

Riptide

Average 1.8 to 2.8 sec slower depending on the combo. Race pace average 2.5 sec slower. At Le Mans about 2.5 days slower than @LZR_Lewis.

AlexDB9 likes this.
  13. GT5Power

GT5Power

Depends. If it's, for example, Gr.3/4, where most tracks are very optimized (and the dominant car is pretty tricky to drive fast in Gr.3), I'll be about 1-1.5s behind the regional record. In more unexplored combos, where there's less optimization, I can find myself within less than a second of the #1 time. My highest final leaderboard spot is #8 in the F1500. I've only done one FIA time trial so far; that was Gr.1 @ Maggiore and I ended up #19, 6 tenths behind the top time. Generally, I would say I have the potential to go very fast, but my laps are always imperfect. There's an obvious mistake even in my best lap. The less error-free laps there are on the leaderboard, the higher I will finish :p That's why the R18 and F1500 have been two of my strongest time trials.

That's all assuming I like the combo and am willing to put in a lot of practice! :)

8l23ub, Pigems and AlexDB9 like this.
  14. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

As Sonic Says:

You're too slow!

Krypton78 and AlexDB9 like this.
  15. Alpha Cipher

Alpha Cipher

I'm proud to say that I am able to be with the top dogs
    At least in the first 10 minutes of the new "dailies"

After that moment of triumph I fall down to anywhere around half a second to 1.5 seconds away depending on the track
    Except tonight's Manu race where I'm a whopping 4 seconds down from the top 10 let's go :lol::banghead:

16. ExplorerPhs

ExplorerPhs

My reference in these months was trying to match Kie's times, as I find that he's extremely consistent with his times. Starting from 5 seconds in Nov 2018 from the aliens, now I closed the gap to a second, sometimes half a second.

17. AUTISTICBOYX

AUTISTICBOYX

Splendid! This is a prime example how little it has to do with raw talent and that it's all about dedicated hard work.

18. ExplorerPhs

ExplorerPhs

In November to put a top 100 EMEA in the dailies, I needed one week. Now I can get to pace in like 10 laps, if I am familiar with the combination. More knowledge of what you're doing makes things look easier. When I started consistently to hit the top 200, I started practicing FIA races, and every race was a nightmare because I had no idea of what racecraft was, that's the main problem with dailies, in my opinion. Joining open practice lobbies taught me that, and now I had my top 5 in competitive lobbies. I sit at 40-2k, I'll start to tank again my DR when I'm gonna be to hit consistently P3. Setting goals, in my opinion, and stick to them is surely what took me to get "better".

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  19. Loverson

Loverson

Around 4/5 and depending on track/sectors as well.
    A year ago i really didn't bother with top times but when i used my alt account to re do all circuit experiences i really ended up looking at top drivers times and making me feel more insisting on improving.

I don't use ghosts, frankly. A bit distracting but checking replays help to understand which sector you're being very slow.

AlexDB9 likes this.
  20. CRN_G-TR

CRN_G-TR

The more corners the track has The bigger the gap gets for me :) , on shorter tracks i can stay within 1.5 Sec.

fastone371, 8l23ub, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  21. El_Beardo

El_Beardo Premium

Depends on the car/track combination. I was 1.7% off at Monza, the other week, for 1562nd in EMEA, and the last Gr.3 race at RBR I was 1.9% off, for 2161st. I was 2.4% off at Fuji Gr.2 last time out, and 1129th.

On the other hand, the last Gr.4 race we had at Suzuka, I was 5% off, for 18,644th. I'm hoping we can smash that, next week.

I'll never be "Top 100" fast. But, I am quick, and consistent, when we have a car/track combo that I gel with.

22. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

Depends on the category. I usually find myself in the second split for Oceania, or making up the numbers in the top split.

AlexDB9 and Pigems like this.
  23. 8l23ub

8l23ub

Depends on how many corners we're dealing with, the more of those blasted turns there are the further away they get. On GT6 we could load their ghosts, if I am close enough to see them cross the finish line the aren't really aliens.

24. ARTAsean

ARTAsean (Banned)

Correct. @AUTISTICBOYX termed himself “garbage” in this thread because he was that kid in middle school that had an emotional meltdown for getting an A- instead of an A+. We all know the type, unfortunately.

It’s all faux modesty and fragile ego. I mean look at his post: “I’m top 10 EMEA but I’m totally garbage.” By calling himself this he thinks he gains credibility among the rest of us, by feigning personal goals considerably higher than everyone else. But really, I’m sure if you were ever to criticize his skill level he’d let on a word salad about how great he is.

You can also tell by how much he’s posting in this thread, he’s hyper-fixated on not being out-done by another GTP member.
    Anyway, I don’t see through it, and to digress, his screen name is spot on.

25. ROCKET JOE

ROCKET JOE

Am I dreaming or do I see word salad on my horizon ?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Pigems, fastone371, BradESPN and 2 others like this.
  26. JTB10000

JTB10000

On your average length track, I'm always around 2 - 2.5 seconds off the top times no matter how good I think a lap felt. I race a lot but I rarely use the same car more than once in a row and don't qualify on purpose so I start in the back. First corner anxiety y'know? Maybe those things are what contribute to the wall I've hit idk. I'm also using the controller but that's hardly an excuse.

AlexDB9 likes this.
  27. Dmac72

Dmac72

Back in GT5, GT6 GT academy days I was about 1-1.5% off the best times. On one occasion just 0.1%.
    Nowadays with family being my over-riding priority and little time to race, let alone refine or improve times I am probably back about 3.5-4% off if I have an evening to spare for a qualifying session.
    In a more typical 1 shot qually lap that can plummet. Lol

28. zzz_pt

zzz_pt

I think in a 100sec lap, I can get to 3-6 tenths of the top1 time in the world (L-Shooter, Igor or Lightning). I've done plenty of top10 and a handful of top1,top2 and top3 in dailies/weeklies (EMEA).

But since I don't race FF cars at all and I don't know all the tracks like I know Lake Maggiore, I would lose more or less depending on the combo and the time I have to practice.

I think of myself as a very fast driver but not an alien. Aliens are way more consistent overall and can pick up the pace much faster than me.

I'm also older than almost every alien I know so I excuse myself with my age and slower reflexes. :D

29. Mr P

Mr P

When the new seasonals are released I like to hotlap until I hit my own personal target/limit or just simply get bored of the event... Unless of course! I'm close to the front runners within a small session? then I will surely keep trying to chip away at it to get the last few tenths to close the gap.. more often than not it usually ends up being wasted time and way more laps than I should have done and end up with minimal increments improvement,

I basically use the top 10 as a target/guide to put me where I think I should be.. but it doesn't always work out that way.. track / car / tyres and other variables make it so as we don't always finish where we think we should, but as long as you enjoy the racing and your own efforts who cares where we actually finish in the region ;) don't get me wrong finishing in the top 10 is a great result but there's always going to be faster guys out there.. just watch their replays and study their lines and gearing etc.. try your best to replicate what they do and you will surely get faster and a better finish overall :tup:

MrCooper, Pigems, 8l23ub and 3 others like this.
  30. AUTISTICBOYX

AUTISTICBOYX

That's the best training my man ;). Only when you truly push yourself, you begin to expand your capability!

Pigems and AlexDB9 like this.