How much slower are you from the top dogs?

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 228 comments
Aren't mercy mains a one-trick? ;)
Not making a proverbial jab here, hehe.
BrilliantImprobableAlaskajingle-size_restricted.gif

:lol:
Mercy was my first main, shortly followed by D. Va. I used to be a Mercy one-trick, specifically in competitive mode, but I'm more of a tank and support main now. :D

And to reply to the comment you made earlier in the thread: Most of the top people are likely putting a ton of focus on the FIA races. Usually, I'd notice some of the top people in NA get their times soon after the races change. This week, it took about 2-3 days before some of them put their times down.

But I do like to think that comparing your times to those up top gives you an idea of where you stand within the track. It's going to vary track by track.

It's a matter of perspective.
- The higher you soar, the more you realize how tiny you are.
It's just that it doesn't really leave much in the way of terms for people below the top 1%. If top 1% = garbage, how do you describe people in the top 10%, top 20% etc? So to me, it makes more sense to describe the levels as something like:
Bottom 25% = well below average
Bottom 50% = below average
Top 50% = above average
Top 10% = well above average
Top 5% = very good
Top 1% = extremely good
Top 0.1% = exceptional
Top 0.01% = alien
that sort of thing.

You can substitute talent with IQ: it's just a parameter. ...
For instance: to someone with a fervent aspiration of becoming a great pianist, it would be rather asinine to only play Für Elise (a rather uninspiring piece in respect to difficulty) every day expecting tangible improvement across the board. What will happen is that you'll only improve in a tiny spectrum of playing that one piece with some negligible benefit to certain pattern recognition. This constitutes inefficient training, outright waste of time frankly. ...

A bit off topic now but anyway :
If you're unable to let your feel and soul flow through hands and keys into the strings of that piano, you'll never be a great pianist, no matter how hard you try, it'll be nothing but finger exercises.
You can't replace talent with IQ !

Well now, on my way to the line I go with @Mistah_MCA :
I'm ok with what I've got.

It's just that it doesn't really leave much in the way of terms for people below the top 1%. If top 1% = garbage, how do you describe people in the top 10%, top 20% etc? So to me, it makes more sense to describe the levels as something like:
Top 50% = above average
Top 5% = very good
Top 1% = extremely good
Top 0.1% = exceptional
Top 0.01% = alien
that sort of thing.

I don't necessarily view the top 1 percentile on the Gaussian distribution as "garbage" (evidently it's not) but rather make that value judgement of my own capability in comparison to an alien like TRL Lightning.

- In my mind the difference between a +1Standard deviation player (above average) and a +3SD player (top 2%~) is much smaller than that of a +3SD player and an alien.
Why? Because as we (theoretically) approach the limit, it becomes exponentially harder to reach it.

My K score is 88.37, was better except for the track/car combo's I had trouble with. In the top 1%, down from the top 0%, in 2018 I had over 40 top 10 times and Twice I had the #1 spot after qualifications ended. MY DR peaked at 62,930 before last summers FIA, which I didn't understand how my DR would drop significantly after every single race, even though I raised my position every single time. It was so frustrating that I haven't hardly raced GTSport since. I don't consider myself a 'Top Dog" but I do have 281 wins in just 687 races, not too bad I guess, for an old guy, LOL.

Depends on the combo, honestly. If it's say, RB14 Std @ Le Mans, I can just get near the top 50 with some effort and could crack top 25 if I put in enough effort. However, if it's like Gr.3 @ Interlagos, or any track that isn't an oval/Le Mans, I'd be like 2 seconds off pace easily.

Average 1.8 to 2.8 sec slower depending on the combo. Race pace average 2.5 sec slower. At Le Mans about 2.5 days slower than @LZR_Lewis.

Depends. If it's, for example, Gr.3/4, where most tracks are very optimized (and the dominant car is pretty tricky to drive fast in Gr.3), I'll be about 1-1.5s behind the regional record. In more unexplored combos, where there's less optimization, I can find myself within less than a second of the #1 time. My highest final leaderboard spot is #8 in the F1500. I've only done one FIA time trial so far; that was Gr.1 @ Maggiore and I ended up #19, 6 tenths behind the top time. Generally, I would say I have the potential to go very fast, but my laps are always imperfect. There's an obvious mistake even in my best lap. The less error-free laps there are on the leaderboard, the higher I will finish :P That's why the R18 and F1500 have been two of my strongest time trials.

That's all assuming I like the combo and am willing to put in a lot of practice! :)

I'm proud to say that I am able to be with the top dogs
At least in the first 10 minutes of the new "dailies"

After that moment of triumph I fall down to anywhere around half a second to 1.5 seconds away depending on the track
Except tonight's Manu race where I'm a whopping 4 seconds down from the top 10 let's go :lol::banghead:

Splendid! This is a prime example how little it has to do with raw talent and that it's all about dedicated hard work.
In November to put a top 100 EMEA in the dailies, I needed one week. Now I can get to pace in like 10 laps, if I am familiar with the combination. More knowledge of what you're doing makes things look easier. When I started consistently to hit the top 200, I started practicing FIA races, and every race was a nightmare because I had no idea of what racecraft was, that's the main problem with dailies, in my opinion. Joining open practice lobbies taught me that, and now I had my top 5 in competitive lobbies. I sit at 40-2k, I'll start to tank again my DR when I'm gonna be to hit consistently P3. Setting goals, in my opinion, and stick to them is surely what took me to get "better".

Last edited:
Around 4/5 and depending on track/sectors as well.
A year ago i really didn't bother with top times but when i used my alt account to re do all circuit experiences i really ended up looking at top drivers times and making me feel more insisting on improving.

I don't use ghosts, frankly. A bit distracting but checking replays help to understand which sector you're being very slow.

When I first got GT Sport I was more than 10% slower than the top times on Sport mode. Then on average I remember improving to 7%, then 5% and today I managed a 3.7% within the top time for the Mount Panorama Daily race. Still I'm chasing that elusive 2% that will require pushing to the limit.

What is your distance to the top times and progression?
The more corners the track has The bigger the gap gets for me :) , on shorter tracks i can stay within 1.5 Sec.

Depends on the car/track combination. I was 1.7% off at Monza, the other week, for 1562nd in EMEA, and the last Gr.3 race at RBR I was 1.9% off, for 2161st. I was 2.4% off at Fuji Gr.2 last time out, and 1129th.

On the other hand, the last Gr.4 race we had at Suzuka, I was 5% off, for 18,644th. I'm hoping we can smash that, next week.

I'll never be "Top 100" fast. But, I am quick, and consistent, when we have a car/track combo that I gel with.

Top 50% = above average
Top 5% = very good
Top 1% = extremely good
Top 0.1% = exceptional
Top 0.01% = alien
that sort of thing.

Correct. @AUTISTICBOYX termed himself “garbage” in this thread because he was that kid in middle school that had an emotional meltdown for getting an A- instead of an A+. We all know the type, unfortunately.

It’s all faux modesty and fragile ego. I mean look at his post: “I’m top 10 EMEA but I’m totally garbage.” By calling himself this he thinks he gains credibility among the rest of us, by feigning personal goals considerably higher than everyone else. But really, I’m sure if you were ever to criticize his skill level he’d let on a word salad about how great he is.

You can also tell by how much he’s posting in this thread, he’s hyper-fixated on not being out-done by another GTP member.
Anyway, I don’t see through it, and to digress, his screen name is spot on.

On your average length track, I'm always around 2 - 2.5 seconds off the top times no matter how good I think a lap felt. I race a lot but I rarely use the same car more than once in a row and don't qualify on purpose so I start in the back. First corner anxiety y'know? Maybe those things are what contribute to the wall I've hit idk. I'm also using the controller but that's hardly an excuse.

Back in GT5, GT6 GT academy days I was about 1-1.5% off the best times. On one occasion just 0.1%.
Nowadays with family being my over-riding priority and little time to race, let alone refine or improve times I am probably back about 3.5-4% off if I have an evening to spare for a qualifying session.
In a more typical 1 shot qually lap that can plummet. Lol

I think in a 100sec lap, I can get to 3-6 tenths of the top1 time in the world (L-Shooter, Igor or Lightning). I've done plenty of top10 and a handful of top1,top2 and top3 in dailies/weeklies (EMEA).

But since I don't race FF cars at all and I don't know all the tracks like I know Lake Maggiore, I would lose more or less depending on the combo and the time I have to practice.

I think of myself as a very fast driver but not an alien. Aliens are way more consistent overall and can pick up the pace much faster than me.

I'm also older than almost every alien I know so I excuse myself with my age and slower reflexes. :D

When the new seasonals are released I like to hotlap until I hit my own personal target/limit or just simply get bored of the event... Unless of course! I'm close to the front runners within a small session? then I will surely keep trying to chip away at it to get the last few tenths to close the gap.. more often than not it usually ends up being wasted time and way more laps than I should have done and end up with minimal increments improvement,

I basically use the top 10 as a target/guide to put me where I think I should be.. but it doesn't always work out that way.. track / car / tyres and other variables make it so as we don't always finish where we think we should, but as long as you enjoy the racing and your own efforts who cares where we actually finish in the region ;) don't get me wrong finishing in the top 10 is a great result but there's always going to be faster guys out there.. just watch their replays and study their lines and gearing etc.. try your best to replicate what they do and you will surely get faster and a better finish overall 👍

When the new seasonals are released I like to hotlap until I hit my own personal target/limit or just simply get bored of the event... Unless of course! I'm close to the front runners within a small session? then I will surely keep trying to chip away at it to get the last few tenths to close the gap.. more often than not it usually ends up being wasted time and way more laps than I should have done and end up with minimal increments improvement,

I basically use the top 10 as a target/guide to put me where I think I should be.. but it doesn't always work out that way.. track / car / tyres and other variables make it so as we don't always finish where we think we should, but as long as you enjoy the racing and your own efforts who cares where we actually finish in the region ;) don't get me wrong finishing in the top 10 is a great result but there's always going to be faster guys out there.. just watch their replays and study their lines and gearing etc.. try your best to replicate what they do and you will surely get faster and a better finish overall 👍

That's the best training my man ;). Only when you truly push yourself, you begin to expand your capability!

Latest Posts

Back