How old were you when you first used the internet?

how old were you when you first used the internet?

• 0-5

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • 6-12

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • 13-18

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • 19-25

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 26-30

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • 31-40

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 40+

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • actually i can`t remember life without it....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do you remember an old peer 2 peer program for the Mac? Can't quite remember the name. Something Hat I think. You could host a file server on your machine or load up someone else's with their client software. Has chat room functionality as well. It was the first time I recall running into "go to this site, click this link and this spot is the password to download" messages.
I didn't become that internet-savvy until after we had the Win95 computer for a couple years. On the Mac, I mostly perused an FTP directory I had bookmarked that had lots of freeware/shareware games.

I learned about P2P filesharing in my early teens after I bought my first computer with my childhood savings. I'll always remember the time I was looking up McLaren F1 videos and stumbled into a clip of a British guy with a peculiar manner of speaking.

I was probably pretty young. I'm sure I used it when I was in Elementary school. Would have been Around 2000 so I would have been about 12 years old. It might have even been a few years earlier cause I'm sure I was lik 6 or 7 the first time I heard a dial up modem sing the siren song of the internet.
Also an anecdote from that time: I remember the first time I was trolled on the internet was someone in Starcraft chat telling me something cool would happen if I hit alt+f4...

As a brief side note, around 2004 I started frequenting the public library in Eugene, Oregon.

They had a bunch of computers, yet all but a few had web browsing blocked so they'd be available for looking up books, searching databases, using productivity apps like Microsoft Office, etc. Serious crap, basically.

The 4 computers that didn't have web browsing blocked had lousy 30-minute time limits too which made them basically useless. Doubly useless since you needed a library card to log in, which I lacked. So eventually I discovered... opening up a URL in Microsoft Word as if it were a file would actually load the page (somewhat), circumventing the block on the non-web browsing computers.

TL;DR: Used Microsoft Word as my web browser for a bit... until the library eventually caught on to what I was doing and gave me a stern ass-chewing.

Last edited:
First time I used it was in windows 95 IIRC, I remember using it on a windows 98 unit and that dial up V.92 modem fun.

I do remember that we didn't have a month to month based connection.

It was a pre paid thing with 40hours or so.

Would've been around 1997 so I would've been 16. On 56k dial-up... oh those drop outs when your downloading... er I mean browsing stuff. Hahaha oh the memories of that dial up sound. And quake 2 was just bad if someone had a hyperblaster... the lag was real :)

About 7-8 at school (mid 90's). Didn't have internet at home or computer with a modem!

They were running Windows NT 4.0 with an early version of Netscape Navigator.

Better times...

when I was 5 in 1994, I got a glimpse of dial up.....omg, I was the most patient kid ever to see a picture of a Mercedes...... sheesh.

I was about 4 years old when I first used the internet. It was on a dial up connection, and I was playing some Sesame Street flash game.

Probably around 1998. I remember the first time I spent more than a moment online; my dad allowed me to visit all the websites of that year's F1 teams, but not for too long as they took a while to load, we couldn't use the phone until the modem was disconnected again and the connection cost 1p per minute.

Can't remember the first time we had net access in school but I do recall using one of my stepdad's G3s in the summer of 1999. Searching for upcoming movie lists on Lycos and spending far too long trying to get a trailer for My Dog Skip* to load. Would have been 8/9 at the time.

*I never did get around to watching it. Same with the full movie.

think I was about 11 it was at school. It was pretty stupid had about 6 or 7 computers hooked up to what I think was dial-up most pages didn't load or took ages. I only got internet at home when I was about 19 (now we have 65mb fiber)

Probably less than 10, only used flash game sites though. First forum experience came at 12, shortly followed by a multitude of other sites I found interesting.

I was 6 or 7 back then, on a Windows ME PC with 56k dial up modem! I was so scared of the sound that the dial up modem made, it was so strange but I really miss it now. I used to download flash games and we had it for some months before the PC died due to lightning.

It was at least early 90's I used K-Mart Bluelight (free) dial up. Had call waiting with message that said something like if I don't answer the phone might be on internet, man I'm old.

13-18 for me (which is mid 80s). At my local library we had access to JANET which was an early education-focussed network in the UK.

I was 7 or 8 years old when I first used the internet at my Aunties house. The website I spent most of the time was miniclip and newgrounds.

Basically internet games nothing else. Good old times :(

Back