If there was No internet anymore, how would you be?

England
southport
This question is mainly to the people who dont know life without the internet...

For me I was about 25 when i first used the internet, 40 now..eek...

Absolutely no problem and I mean that. It will take some time to adapt but I will be able to live without the internet, again. When I go on vacation, I never take a pc or laptop or whatever internet connection stuff with me and I never miss it.

The only thing I would probably miss is playing race games/portal 2 which need the internet.

I have a standard, simple cell phone and a smartphone and I hardly use these things.

It'd be difficult, but eventually I'd be fine. Biggest issue would be losing contact with people I can actually associate with, but I did it through school, and I've done it at work so even that won't be so hard.

Read a lot of pepers, magazines and books. Write a lot letters and manage a whole lot of paperwork.
As for gaming...I always prefered single player gaming... so wouldnt miss that.

This question is mainly to the people who dont know life without the internet...

For me I was about 25 when i first used the internet, 40 now..eek...

I know the question was addressed to those who 'don't know life' without the Internet, which then cuts me out (since I did know life without the Internet) and life without the Internet was quite different - much as Presidents without television had only radio to rely on.

Life, however, continually evolves - and gives us different lifestyles as we pass through this world. There was a time I would hardly use the phone (which was chained to my desk.) Now I carry it around on me - eventually I will have it on my wrist, and then (maybe in the next ten years) have a chip in my head.

When I first used the Internet, my computer actually used floppies and the world-wide web was merely a novelty on which we played text-based RPGs.
As the world-wide Internet gained accessibility and efficiency many then followed the technology and the internet became more than a tool for gaming or education but also a means of socializing, or - to put it another way - a means to reach out and touch and be touched (quite vital for humanity.) Humans (usually) don't like to be alone.

So this brings us to a point: Loneliness, and the use of the internet, is linked.
This is not to say that all lonely people are addicted to the Internet, or that all internet users are lonely - but that it is a facet of its use - and continued existence.

In my life I'm never left alone - there is always someone (or something) IRL that requires my attention - and so the Internet is not so much a means to reach out and touch and be touched but more a handy piece of tech that offers me a plethora of tools in communicating with others world-wide (when I have to), educating myself about the collective consciousness and the general psyche of today's society, and, sometimes, a means to play some game or another with other human beings who may not even be real human beings.

From that point of view the Internet really doesn't offer me much. Books, a regular phone line, a radio or a TV set can take the place of many things the internet offers. This means the world-wide web is only a side dish to me - not the main course.
The main course satisfies a few more senses than the Internet does. :)

Now that should be a springboard for sufficient discussion, no? :mischievous:

I make all kinds of online content, so I would be beyond screwed if the Internet was not a part of my life. You know- I do blogging, videos, digital art, and the like. I probably would better focus on either a career in broadcasting and journalism or maybe psychology. I instead chose blogging and videos after getting my Associate's in the Arts. Also, gaming would be much different, as I would not know too many people on PlayStation Network without Internet access.

Absolutely 🤬'd
Join the club. My university course is an IT one. Remove the internet, a lot of that is completely meaningless and I've wasted 2 years. Student debt from a pointless university course. Though I have a part-time job at a pretty large clothing retail shop, they'd be fine. But I'd need a proper job or another university course.

And that's before I discuss things like GTP etc.

Join the club. My university course is an IT one. Remove the internet, a lot of that is completely meaningless and I've wasted 2 years. Student debt from a pointless university course. Though I have a part-time job at a pretty large clothing retail shop, they'd be fine. But I'd need a proper job or another university course.

And that's before I discuss things like GTP etc.
Well, I work in radio. And although we use the internet to our advantage (A LOT!!!), the sure thing is that radio existed far before the internet and I'd actually have an advantage. ;)

I was just talking about how much internet I use for watching stupid videos or making sure I know how to spell words. :lol:

A lot of my work and its content is based on and sourced from the internet so without internet my work life would be much harder but not impossible. Primary school teachers have done without internet for centuries, I’m sure I’d manage.

I would have difficulty contacting my family who live on the other side of the world but I could make do with post and phone.

TB
Socially online, GTPlanet is virtually it. But the amount of online shopping and Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming? Totally different story.
I was gonna say, I'd driving around looking for Blockbuster & Tower Records. :lol:

Even George Washington?

If you were going to be specific you should have mentioned Filippo Antonio Pasquale di Paoli, buddy. ;)

To go on . . . we're talking a lot here about the benefits of the Internet. What about the disadvantages? Are there any?

I'd probably drink myself to death out of boredom and disappointment.

I was about 18 before I had access to the internet in the late nineties.

Increase focus on other hobbies, both new and old. I'd probably get back into drawing which I did a lot of in my primary school days, maybe with the help of a tablet. I would also buy a hell of a lot more magazines/newspapers to keep with the the news and events going on.

Although given the funds (the time would be already there), I'd go on a number of road trips and take photos along the way.

TB
It gives the ill informed an all too accessible platform to spread their nonsense.

This is a good point to start. Many good things in our life come with problems.
Morphine, nuclear fission, plastic . . .

How do we ride the devil?

The internet only came into my life when i started my first proper full-time career job, so mid to late 90's. I'd already grown up, moved away from home and gone through university by then so i'd had an adult life without the internet. I could revert back to that time quite easily. Would make sending artwork and proofs to clients a bit of a pain though. Assuming it means no email or digital file transfer either.

Internet I could do without. PC gaming, I could do without as well but don't take away my television and all the series I love to watch. :D

I can't remember what I did without internet. It's been too long. I had my very first intenet experience at a friends place around '97. I remember that even back then there was talk about virus problems and stuff. So I wanted to stay away from the internet because of these threats and because I knew that I wasn't going to be able to stay from the internet.

The virus problems didn't seem to be that much of a problem for me personally but the fact that I wasn't going to be able to stay away from the internet came out. Maybe this thread is an eyeopener!

BTW, it was my father who got internet for him personally in December 2003.

Well, I'd have to rely on hedges again, that's for sure...
Or trees.
7wv3d64r.jpg

John Titor said that the internet is here to stay, at least in his timeline and he claimed to be from the year 2036.

I'd probably buy less stuff because the times of easy shopping would be over and I'd be much less exposed to the latest products, trends and innovations. I'd do more focused shopping and probably save tons of money in the process.

Back