How should GT7's Arcade Mode work?

• Thread starter GBalao888
  • 67 comments
I really like the idea of Arcade Mode almost being like another career mode with its own rewards, but I think they could be toned down a little from GT3. Specifically, I don't think the reward(s) should be a race car like the Panoz Esperante GTR-1 was in GT3, but instead more like something you'd get from getting all golds on one of the more basic licenses.

That said, I think Circuit Experience is a good replacement for both the Time Trials in GT3 and the full-lap license tests seen in GT4. So I think Circuit Experience should stay in some form - including the idea of only obtaining a reward for getting all golds, considering how many circuits and layouts there are - and the form that Arcade Mode takes in GTS could be combined with that of GT3, where there are rewards for clearing all courses on a given difficulty. But perhaps instead of there being three or four rewards (one per difficulty), the courses could be divided up, much like in GT3. Perhaps, instead of something somewhat arbitrary like "Group A/B/C/D/E/F" it could be by the type of circuit, namely original, dirt/snow, city, and real circuits, with a reward being obtained for winning a race on every layout within each group. The reward, of course, would relate to the motif. So perhaps for the dirt/snow group, your rewards could be a Ford Focus ST for easy, the road-going Lancia Stratos for normal difficulty, and the Pikes Peak-spec Audi Quattro for hard.

In addition, if Circuit Experience returns, I think they should feature other cars, besides just Gr.1/Gr.B/Gr.3/Gr.4 cars, and have it be much more dependent on the course. For example, instead of featuring the Aston Martin Vantage Gr.4 for the Goodwood Circuit like it does in GTS, I'd personally pick the Aston Martin DB3S. That said, I'd keep the Porsche 919 for Le Mans. I'd also keep the Honda NSX Gr.3 for Suzuka, but I'd also feature a Gr.2 car for Fuji Speedway.

EDIT: Upon taking another look, maybe the rewards for single race could indeed be like those in GT3, in that it unlocks cars only for use in arcade mode.

If you have a truly flexible granualar custom race mode you dont need arcade mode.

I dont know how to make an arcade mode that isnt just a throwaway feature like it is in GT Sport.

To me I dont think "Arcade" mixes in well with what GT7 is trying to be. I feel like people play GT7 because they want to true PD experience and I dont think people want a watered down hand held encapsulated quick race mode???

There's lots of arcade racers out there. I personally just dont find any value out of this but my experiences with the above have been poor over the last two gens or close to 20 odd years so I'm willing to be surprised but I doubt I will be... they will devote like one day of programming into it and it'll be perfunctory like GT Sport's completely odd "three rings of completion" arcade mode.
What? Isn't Arcade Mode also always the part of GT? From GT1-GT6, just that the true PD experience retained in GT Sport was that, and even better with Custom Races. And it's not about "watered down" as in Arcade genre, the quick race where you select available cars, tracks, etc. are called Arcade Mode in GT.

Everything available in arcade mode but with the ability to use your career mode cars as well (with all the custom liveries and tuning that goes along with it)

It needs to be easy to have fun with, custom races only work for players that already like the game.

If new players want offline racing but dont like arcade or GT League, they're not going to stick around to find something they like in custom race mode.

Maybe the simple act of adding a 4th difficulty option, like "Super Pro" or something could do it?

I can only go by GT6 and previous versions as I haven't played Sport, but even with aggression cranked up, the "Professional" cars never were a match for me and I'm sure the vast majority of us who put a little time into circuits, even those who don't.

I don't want to have to "trick" the app into putting everyone else on soft slick tyres and then switch my own to hards and power-limit something from my garage in order to make a battle out of it, hence my suggestion of a 4th tier of difficulty.

That said, I think your idea is cool but there's plenty of room for error on the part of PD with that one:
1) Opponents quickly become impossible to compete with. No fun.
2) Opponents start out slow so you'd have to put in a bunch of races in order for them to be cranked sufficiently to become competitive.

Just thinkin' out 'loud, really...

In GT Sport you can make the AI much more competetive in Arcade mode than it is in Campaign mode by upping the difficulty.

I think the arcade mode should allow you to choose the difficulty, but I think the main carrer mode should have the AI use a scale, so in the easier B licesnse races the AI will scale between 30-50 (for example) and the better you do the closer to 50 it will scale, if you start losing it will scale back. Then A licesnses could scale between 40-60, I-C 50-70, I-B, 60-80, I-A 70-90 and Super license events 80-100.

The better you do at nearer the top of the scale for any event the AI will be, if you start strugglgin then it will scale back. Changes should be gradual.

But in Arcade /Free Race mode I think you should be able to choose the difficulty you want.

My only hope for arcade mode is that in 2 player battle we can have the option to add/remove AI cars from the grid. Sometimes I want to have a realistic race with a friend but once one is ahead by 1 or 2 corners it becomes boring.

My friend and I still play Moto gp3 on PS2. 2 player split screen with 15 track championship and 20 AI. GT7 needs something like this. I like online but some of us still go to see our mates.

My friend and I still play Moto gp3 on PS2. 2 player split screen with 15 track championship and 20 AI. GT7 needs something like this. I like online but some of us still go to see our mates.

Oh yes. Custom Championship mode + option to play it in Local Split Screen would be a blast.

Oh definately. Custom grids for example. It would make GT7 perfect sandbox.
With the ability to choose your opponents' cars (whichever cars are unlocked in Arcade Mode, of course, you'll still have to play through the challenges if you want all of the cars in the game in Arcade Mode) and to even rename them (even assigning their nationality).

With the ability to choose your opponents' cars (whichever cars are unlocked in Arcade Mode, of course, you'll still have to play through the challenges if you want all of the cars in the game in Arcade Mode) and to even rename them (even assigning their nationality).

And select its liveries. (from custom livery library.)

This way you could even simulate Formula 1 races with full driver rooster :D

Custom Race needs to allow users to select AI cars. For the umpteenth time. Just realised the next FIA Nations race are only the RC F and M4 Gr.4 cars. How this option is not available in GT Sport Custom Race, I just don't know.

We've had Cayman versus Corvette Gr.4. The current Race A with Porsches only. Race C with Group C only. There has to be a button PD can press, that allow users to do the same set ups.

If we have a long wait for Gran Turismo 7, activate that function in GT Sport, if not, please, PD, "Push the button!".

Well, nobody talks about the cars. What cars should we be able to sample in Arcade Mode, and how much is good? I would say somewhere near 50, this list contains 65 cars, and is based on the Courtesy Car and Recommended Car lists from GT6(except the Karts). I have also thought of implementing 'unlocks' in Arcade Mode, although this is closely related to the player's progress in GT Mode; access to those cars in Arcade Mode is only available once the licence corresponding to the car's recommended licence is unlocked. For example, the Audi R18 Audi Team Joest '11 is a recommended car for the Super Licence, so it is only available in Arcade Mode after you get the Super Licence; just getting the licence count, no need to Gold those. Cars marked "Courtesy Car" are unlocked from the start, and the Honda Fit RS '10(which is marked as Novice) is unlocked once the player entered GT Mode for the first time.

No need to talk tracks; I think all of those should be unlocked from the start.

Especially with internet connection pretty much required.
Day 1 needs to have the most in depth Arcade and GT Mode. The AI needs to be competitive. Seriously. This time, it needs to be good. Not the best, but good. Good enough for players to be happy. PD need to cater to the offline(no internet, non-PS+ buying) players.

The way Campaign award cars, Arcade need to have the same amount of cars available, to be won/gifted.

Players shouldn't have to do Campaign in order to receive cars to play the game. Players shouldn't have to have an internet connection to buy a car.
I understand that's the way things are today. Players are going to miss updates to Brand Central. However, 338 cars should at least, be available at launch.

A deep Career and Custom Race option

Mention of Racing Modification in another thread. How PD group such modified cars, will be interesting.

I am hoping PD will have tuned up AI cars as a player's tunes their own car. Something players have been asking/wishing for.
GT5P was cool in that aspect. It was basically any racing car class we've seen Gran Turismo, but would work better by increasing the performance of the base PP car.

I'd rather race AI in the same AE86s from base hp to a Racing modified 300hp. Why should I have to have my 300hp AE86, race against an A90 Supra?

It should definitely be ran like the PS2 GT’s. A good cross section of every vehicle type, but not all cars accessible. You only have those cars available when you purchase or win them in story mode. That way there’s an incentive to really try to unlock that Formula GT so you can make your own F1 races in arcade mode. Felt rewarding with it like that. Also pushed my seven year old self to really give that scary “I think this for only smart adults” GT mode a go...

Last edited:
Mention of Racing Modification in another thread. How PD group such modified cars, will be interesting.

I am hoping PD will have tuned up AI cars as a player's tunes their own car. Something players have been asking/wishing for.
GT5P was cool in that aspect. It was basically any racing car class we've seen Gran Turismo, but would work better by increasing the performance of the base PP car.

I'd rather race AI in the same AE86s from base hp to a Racing modified 300hp. Why should I have to have my 300hp AE86, race against an A90 Supra?
Gran Turismo 1 had it, the tuned up AI cars. Though not explicitly shown GT3 too like its Like The Wind with Vipers, etc.

Gran Turismo 1 had it, the tuned up AI cars. Though not explicitly shown GT3 too like its Like The Wind with Vipers, etc.
Perfect example is in Real Circuit Tours. PD dressed the road cars up real nice, to be like their real life production race cars. However, the suspensions and programmed performance, remain the same.

The replica E30 M3 DTM and replica Mustang GT4, should perform as such. I shouldn't have to keep my own car's performance stock, just to have a competitive race with the AI.

PD get so close, but don't complete the task.

I'm not too worried about their being a limited selection of cars available to select for arcade mode activities,(with in reason of course, I trust PD will improve from GTS anyway) as long as you can unlock additional cars by way of achievements(similar to earlier titles) and have the ability to use player owned garage in the arcade mode feature.

Different classes on the same race(e.g gr3 can race with LMP)

A.I. may never be as competent as human players, but If the capabilities of the A.I. are enhanced to a decent standard wherein there is no need for the usual arcade driving game shenanigans, rubber banding, boost, rabbits etc Multiclass racing outside of online competition could be viable.

Last edited:
Bumping again due to a bit of frustration. Playing PC3 again and a member brought to my attention, I can use a loan car in Custom Race before buying it. I can pick any car, but the specific car I want to buy, I'm using it right now and racing at any track.

PD, you all have to be reading posts in these forums. Please make our logical requests, suggestions, wishes happen. I fail to see why these things were not implemented in GTS.

Bumping again due to a bit of frustration. Playing PC3 again and a member brought to my attention, I can use a loan car in Custom Race before buying it. I can pick any car, but the specific car I want to buy, I'm using it right now and racing at any track.

PD, you all have to be reading posts in these forums. Please make our logical requests, suggestions, wishes happen. I fail to see why these things were not implemented in GTS.
Plus 1 for this 👍

PCars 3 really has nailed the Arcade/Custom Race portion of the game, and best of all is that it's also the same for online lobbies so nobody gets left out if they don't own a particular car. I really hope GT7 follows suit with these options.

I feel as though the formula in GT3 and GT4 could be improved upon with the correct categorisation. Some possible categories could be:
-Group A
-Group B
-Group C
-Group 5
-LMP1
-GT1
-GT3
-GT4
-Super GT
-Road A
-Road B
-Road C
-Road D
-Road E
-Classic Road A
-Classic Road B
-Classic Road C
You will have a small selection in each class to start off with. You can expand the selection by winning races in that class.

Gonna bump this thread just to give this a little bit more importance, because you are only left to play in Arcade Mode when you're offline whilst playing GT7. This gives it more reasons why this game mode should also be improved significantly.

Last edited:
I feel as though the formula in GT3 and GT4 could be improved upon with the correct categorisation. Some possible categories could be:
-Group A
-Group B
-Group C
-Group 5
-LMP1
-GT1
-GT3
-GT4
-Super GT
-Road A
-Road B
-Road C
-Road D
-Road E
-Classic Road A
-Classic Road B
-Classic Road C
You will have a small selection in each class to start off with. You can expand the selection by winning races in that class.
Didn't know there's so many classes of cars in GT lol

I hope multiclass racing will be a thing

Back