how sim real is this game.

I think there's a slight element of what cars you've driven in real life.

Up until GT Sport, I would say Forza 7 held the crown. My first introduction to consoling driving was Forza 4 and Forza 5 was where they really threw you into the deep end. I'd say 6 and 7 have both relaxed the simulation aspect as they got a lot of negative feedback on the way Forza 5 handled.

GT Sport to me right now, is the most enjoyable driving experience on console. I dont expect it to be the highest fidelity given what's possible on PC with an amazing wheel.

One thing GT Sport FM7 and FH4 does well is that I react to the way the car drives the same way I would react in real life.

I have driven a slew of RWD and 4wd cars so at this point a lot of what I see on the screen is what I learned on the roads in real life.

I would imagine that if all you knew in this world was automatic FWD hatchbacks then these console drivers would feel alien.

I also think that GT Sport has the total package in tha the lighting engined coupled with that 'classic' Gran Turismo handling works as a whole.

To me something like FM7 feels a bit diminished after experiencing GT Sport.

I have often slagged off Forza Horizon but the reality is that I have chosen to drive various cars based on what I feel I would do in real life.

Eg. this game loves that cross country nonsense where you have supercars bouncing on rough grass.

So in this regard would you choose a BMW M5 V10? No. I chose the Audi RS6 Avant. Its 4wd.

Still even to this day I say nothing else out there is as good as that FFB on a wheel when you transition from grass to tarmac to snow to the Hot Wheels plastic track (!!!) - still I would say that over this generation GT Sport is the crowning achievement, warts and all.

I think there's a slight element of what cars you've driven in real life.

I would imagine that if all you knew in this world was automatic FWD hatchbacks then these console drivers would feel alien.

Well, I can tell you, this game is not "real life driving simulator" Still a good game, cant deny that.
Small vid for the car's I've driven. Well still own this car.
And I can tell that 911 GT3 on the ring is wayyyyy off from reality in the game.
Car in vid is 911 C2 with factory sport suspension. The ring 2011.

Did some comparson laps with AC and GTS Car is GT3 Huracan and track is Brand Hatch.
Had 10 laps with AC, got the game yesterday. GTS I've had from new year.
Short experiment from AC, far better FFB and tyre model. It feels just more real. Grip is more gradually lost.
In GT its much more ON/OFF type.
I don't actually know which is more realistic. Forza has a much more progressive loss of grip than GTS. The standard text book so-called laws of friction (which are not actually laws at all, and don't apply literally to tyres) predict an on/off behaviour:

https://me-mechanicalengineering.com/laws-of-friction/

I'm talking about 3 and 4 there, which state that you should get a sudden transition between static friction and dynamic friction, and the dynamic friction shouldn't change as you slide, as it's independent of velocity. So from those "laws" you'd expect grip to suddenly be lost, and suddenly re-gained. Of the games I've played, Project Cars 2 is the most like that. I've heard that iRacing is also very on/off in its loss of grip. According to this, dynamic friction for a car tyre on concrete is only approx 20% lower than static friction:

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/ben_townsend/staticandkineticfriction.htm

So based on all that, if it were an accurate description of real world behaviour of car tyres, you should get 100% grip then suddenly go to 80% grip when you start to slide, and suddenly back to 100% when you stop sliding. It would be necessary to instrument real cars to see to what extent this is an accurate description. I'm sure F1 teams, for example, will collect data that allows them to observe such behaviour.

Have the PC2 demo and liked the way the FFb and tyre model/grip works. In your second link, you can see that when friction moves to kinetic, it slides to that 80% value. this slide is what Im talking. In GTS grip drops to that 80% value with out transition. So its more sudden.
Also tyres struggles to regain the grip after slides.

I felt the grip and FFB on AC to be more realistic than GTS, does this make GT bad? No I don't think so, like I said GT is good game.
Somebody said before, that all the driving games have their faults. I think that GTS have lots of things right, this driveability matter is one where competitors are little better. :cheers:

Hope you guys are ok with some less serious contribution :
You'll know how sim real this game is when you realize that a lot of people ponder whether matte paint makes your car faster ... :odd: :lol:
I'm not sure what your point is, but surface texture can have a significant effect on drag in real life, this is why cycling skinsuits use a range of materials in different locations on the body, and different skinsuits can have a pretty sizeable impact on the drag of the rider.

Eg. this game loves that cross country nonsense where you have supercars bouncing on rough grass.
You keep bringing this up, but this is only usually happening only when you make it happen. It's extremely rare to see an actual race in game where it forces you take a super car off-road. I actually don't think I've seen one, but I've stopped playing for some time just from being bored. I have, however, seen lower end classes like muscle cars on offroad races, but still that is also very few and far in-between compared to the vast amount of races. They're usually pretty structured, in the sense that the vast majority of races have you use a vehicle type that is actually useful in the terrain you're required to race in, unless of course, you customize the event yourself.

Is more sim more fun?
Wouldn’t it be fun to have random mechanical failures?
Engine problems suspension breakage debris, oil on track, pit crew mistakes costing you the race?
Wouldn’t it be fun to race against competition that has huge advantage in same car due to setup?
For me the answer is no it wouldn’t.
Driving is the fun part and the skill. I want the fun driving part not all the things that can happen irl to ruin a race that are not in my control happening.
That’s why Sport overshadows the competition for racing others imo.
I’m not sure how to point towards my next point without spelling it out.
I’ll say this game rewards you or punishes you in ways that are not obvious.
Settings make a huge difference as do proper peripherals.
AS does in game behavior over time including against AI.
You reap what you sow in this great title imo.
Again, as always you use a certain 3 letter word and every guy seems to wanna whip it out and measure up.
There’s a lot of what you read about GT Sport you ought to take with a grain of salt.
I find the driving plenty deep on good peripherals. For those criticizing it surely you easily top the leaderboards right? I mean since it’s so supposedly simplistic?
I like all the driving titles like dr2 and AC also.
I think they are all good. For some reason though 90 percent of my gaming time is spent on GT Sport.
Good peripherals, good behavior, time in, more time in, and things in this game evolve a little bit here and there, but if you don’t put in the time you never experience that.
That’s my take, either true or I am just high lol.

I'm not sure what your point is, but surface texture can have a significant effect on drag in real life, this is why cycling skinsuits use a range of materials in different locations on the body, and different skinsuits can have a pretty sizeable impact on the drag of the rider.

It's also why some F1 teams are starting to paint their cars with a matte color.

It was a joke about that thread with the april fools video saying pink matte paint makes your car faster.

You clearly missed it. Obviously in real life texture matters.

Side note for this thread. Im going to buy ac or pc2 as they are 80% off right now but which would you guys choose? Im leaning AC.

Well, I can tell you, this game is not "real life driving simulator" Still a good game, cant deny that.
Small vid for the car's I've driven. Well still own this car.
And I can tell that 911 GT3 on the ring is wayyyyy off from reality in the game.
Car in vid is 911 C2 with factory sport suspension. The ring 2011.

911 c2 feels completely different from a GT3 Clubsport? No ****. What does this prove?

Side note for this thread. Im going to buy ac or pc2 as they are 80% off right now but which would you guys choose? Im leaning AC.

PC2 has a LOT more to do. I think I would choose that over the console AC.
The PC version of Assetto modded is obviously top stuff. 2000 plus cars, 500 plus tracks, it's out of control the amount of content. PS4 version of AC lets you try it out and the driving experience is great but the content is lacking a bit.

Project Cars 2 has it's issues but has great immersion, vintage cars, tons of tracks, rallycross, all sorts of fun to be had here if you can look past a couple bugs here or there. Plus dynamic weather and time.

Neither one has the reward system of GTS though. No credits, no this and no that. You basically race and the reward is the experience and where you place.

Compared to other racing sims on PS4 it doesn't quite have the depth that for example Project CARS 2 has. Going from PC2 straight to GT Sport you can really feel how forgiving the game is in terms of what you can and can't do with a car, PC2 punishes you for making mistakes while in GT Sport you can mostly get away with them. It doesn't make it any worse than the other sims, just different in that it does encourage casual play as well, I actually prefer playing GT Sport with a pad rather than the wheel, something I wouldn't even attempt with PC2. It's more of a laid back casual sim in my opinion.

911 c2 feels completely different from a GT3 Clubsport? No ****. What does this prove?
I think that you miss undestod my post. I was saying, that the GT3 in this game is not realistic to drive. And was comparing it to the way my real 911 c2 drives on the real nurburgring. But if you think that the c2 is 100x better to drive than gt3, I think that stuttgart engineers have done something wrong then. :lol:

It was a joke about that thread with the april fools video saying pink matte paint makes your car faster.

You clearly missed it. Obviously in real life texture matters.

PCars 2 is way better than AC on console imho.

Thanks for the input. I bought AC last night. Gonna play it when i get home to my wheel. I may just buy PC2 as well since its 20 bucks also. Just gives me options. Right now i have GT, Dirt 4 and AC. Havent even tried dirt 4 with my wheel. I have driveclub too actually but its hella outdated now. I really just want to check out the AC physics that everyone raves about.

Thanks for the input. I bought AC last night. Gonna play it when i get home to my wheel. I may just buy PC2 as well since its 20 bucks also. Just gives me options. Right now i have GT, Dirt 4 and AC. Havent even tried dirt 4 with my wheel. I have driveclub too actually but its hella outdated now. I really just want to check out the AC physics that everyone raves about.

For PC2, make sure you get the Deluxe Edition. It's worth it no question.

I hate to be Debbie Downer on pc2 but I am. Some races I wanted to do wouldn’t even load. The world shake setting gave me motion sickness. The ffb settings were tough to get a feel for grip. The tire temp and pressure means you drive on ice for a lap or two so it wastes time. I feel their ‘sim’ idea of tires is over exaggerated from reality. I’ve driven some late models going out first group of the day on oval on cold hard compound slicks and there was tons of grip-it wasn’t as exaggerated. Yes, after a few laps you are stuck to the pavement really good, but the beginning of the stint wasn’t like driving on ice.
Imo the physics are exaggerated to make it hard to drive. Now, this is all driving racing cars. There might be some good content in it for road cars if you like that. For me exaggerated physics combined with the mess that is their attempt at ffb adjustability meant I never really knew how much grip I had. Plus there’s favoritism amongst the cars. Some are META. The McLaren gt3 car for example at Nurb gp was glued to the pavement you could just throttle hard outta t1 and never come close to breaking traction. That car compared to others I tried was like cheating. Other cars are basically unfinished imo.
I think pc2 must have some really good content in it because people here always talk it up and maybe I just didn’t invest enough time in it but it seemed every combo I tried had problems. Took up huge space on my PS4 which was annoying. I bought it for twenty bucks so no big loss. I will say Bathurst looks very raw in that game in a good way compared to say GT Sport. Gt Sport shows things at their shiny clean best where PC2 does not. I liked the look of Bathurst, plus elevation changes look very pronounced in it.
It’s hard to compare your laps to anyone else’s in that game due to the fact that they are all super hardcore with tuned cars. It’s an uneven playing field. The dynamic weather settings seem glitchy, and imo rain was too sticky in the laps I tried. It LOOKS so cool though with the rain. I’d say looks wise it’s cool, on par with Dirt Rally.
So ultimately for ME, the game was not what I was looking for. I think though for folks that want a lot of aspects to tinker with that it’s probably excellent. The big thing for me was it’s was just hard to get a feel for grip in the gt cars I was using. Plus once they slide a bit forget it.
I like AC. It’s just bland though when you are used to something polished like AC with menu music and screensaver. The driving in AC and ffb is very good. Excellent sense of grip via ffb. Graphics are kinda sub par, but it’s more intense and difficult to drive than GT Sport.
I think in GT Sport it’s like reality in that driving a race car is easy, but extracting maximum potential is difficult.
Oh yeah, AC is great on ai. You can adjust how aggressive they are and how fast. I really couldn’t p,ay AC before trading my potentiometer brake up for the load cell setup. For me, load cell was game changing.
Again, I kinda ran down pc2 pretty hard, but maybe now that my wheel has reccomended baseline settings to use in game and on the wheel I should probably try it again. If the ffb can provide me with some idea how hard I can push and where the limits of grip are I think it might be a cool experience. Plus I didn’t try rallycross, really want to try it because people seem to universally say it’s better than Dirt Rally2.
Just turn world shake to zero if you try Bathurst because again imo the effect is over exaggerated to the point of being ridiculous on default. The elevation changes are very pronounced though which combined with the raw/real life dirty look to Bathurst does make it quite immersive.
So, ultimately I am trying to be honest not just run down the game I had a bad experience with. Maybe I will try it again with fanatec reccomended settings.
AC is AC. Benchmark ffb, solid physics, good ai, good tracks not in sport, but again I think without a load cell brake might be tough for middle aged folk used to real life driving. If you are experienced on potentiometer brake and find it natural it’s probably no issue.
The original Dirt Rally is like fifteen bucks now and it’s simply fantastic imo at that price. For single player, it’s really immersive and I have nothing negative to say about it.
Again, my answer to the OP is depends on peripherals and overall rig setup. I am sure this post will catch some flak, but I listened to you guys and bought a game because of what I read and felt I had to give my honest take on my experience with it. I expected WOW but got wtf.

I think in GT Sport it’s like reality in that driving a race car is easy, but extracting maximum potential is difficult.
I find this very frustrating in GTS as for me the "maximum potential" of a car is long way beyond my own comfort zone or what i think is realistic... Hard to describe, but in AC you really need to drive within the car's limits while ignoring your own, so you can never get greedy! ...In GTS you always need to drive on your toes pushing the car to the limits and beyond since the first lap.
In AC the cars are easier to drive, but there's absolutely no shortcuts or cheats for faster lap times; if you take the risk you often end up in the back wall or overshoot the corner and heat your tires. You don't need to be an alien to be competitive in AC.
IMO overdriving and driving on the car's limits has always been grey area in GT series... Sure it's not as bad as in GT6 where e-brake users qualified solid top 10 in TT's.

Gran turismo is the best of the sim-cade genre. It’s not a complete sim. It’s hard to get everything from the cars though.

I find this very frustrating in GTS as for me the "maximum potential" of a car is long way beyond my own comfort zone or what i think is realistic... Hard to describe, but in AC you really need to drive within the car's limits while ignoring your own, so you can never get greedy! ...In GTS you always need to drive on your toes pushing the car to the limits and beyond since the first lap.
In AC the cars are easier to drive, but there's absolutely no shortcuts or cheats for faster lap times; if you take the risk you often end up in the back wall or overshoot the corner and heat your tires. You don't need to be an alien to be competitive in AC.
IMO overdriving and driving on the car's limits has always been grey area in GT series... Sure it's not as bad as in GT6 where e-brake users qualified solid top 10 in TT's.

I’d say top ten times are kinda nuts in terms of how hard they push the cars in GT Sport so I agree.
My comfort zone is not on the limit. It’s having a measure of control and margin of error, not being on the brink of an off every lap like many Gt Sport drivers are.
My biggest trouble in this game is getting good qual.
The equalizer to me is tire wear. I’m in the minority on FIA race opinion.
I like it that pushing too hard ruins your race and I think it’s better with meaningful tire wear.
I think though that many people above my level want to be able to push hard a whole race and take advantage of their skill that way.
Like, I have no chance against them.
My strength is keeping margin for error and keeping it between the lines.

Back