How the Megane Trophy just ruined GR4 for me...

• Thread starter Bruunz
  • 65 comments
Australia
Australia
Daily Race B yesterday. Top 10 filled with the Megane Trophy so i decided to give it a go.

OMG WOW! What a car! This car does everything you want it to do apart going fast in a straight line. Not only does it do everything but it feels so good to drive. The grip, the responsiveness is just subliminal.

I think i'm going to be disappointed going back to my usual repertoire of GR4 cars now.

But i also think this isn't a GR4 car. It's too good and doesn't have a the production car feel like the others.
It feels like a baby GR2 car. It has way to much aero grip compared to its competitors.

Thoughts?

Hopefully i will get some time to watch it today.

I know it will reign on some tracks and suffer on others but its the feel of the car that stands out compared to other GR4.

I also did encounter like 4-5 Meganes on a daily race weeks ago on Brands Hatch and managed to beat them on a McLaren.

I do agree that it's OP right now and so far, whenever I see a grid full of Meganes, it's automatic McLaren for me. The amount of power and handling is enough for me to stand a chance against the OP Megane.

I got a lot of penalties in the last Nations race from these Trophy Meganes coming from a mile back in the braking zones and appearing right after I've already begun to turn into the apex. No exaggeration here. I was braking at the latest I possibly could and they would close from half a second behind. The driving style warranted by their characteristics is too far off from the rest of the Gr.4 field. They don't belong.

Isnt the 650S supposedly quite slow in its class? or is that just GT3 and not GT4?
I've read that too. Gotta say I've not seen many use either car. The Gr. 4 couldn't keep up with my NSX at Monza. I wasn't even getting a tow and it was behind me.

I got a lot of penalties in the last Nations race from these Trophy Meganes coming from a mile back in the braking zones and appearing right after I've already begun to turn into the apex. No exaggeration here. I was braking at the latest I possibly could and they would close from half a second behind. The driving style warranted by their characteristics is too far off from the rest of the Gr.4 field. They don't belong.

This is what i was eluding to. The feel of the car and the way you can drive is too much of a purpose built racer than a production car. Admittedly it drives great.

I'm not too fussed about the BoP for it at the moment. As it's obvious it needs work. It can certainly be beaten with other cars on other tracks.

Isnt the 650S supposedly quite slow in its class? or is that just GT3 and not GT4?
For me I don't find the 650S to be that slow from that Brands Hatch daily race I did.

But since I haven't driven enough Gr.4. cars, it may change but for now, the 650S is alright for me.

Before the Super Sayajin Megane Trophy apparition i was regularly between 1 / 1,5 sec. from the top ten times with my Audi TT.
And now for the same track i’m 2/2,5 sec behind ??! :confused:
I don’t drive anymore on Gr.4 just because i know have no chances no just on speed but even on fuel management , tyre wear etc
It’s a shame because it’s my favourite group in this game by far it ruined it :indiff:

I saw only one Trophy in the Monza Daily race. Why is that?
It lacks top speed.
Bugatti Veyron Gr4 is the way to go in Monza Gr4 races.

I agree with OP, the Mégane Trophy is a beast.
Not only in terms of breaking and cornering but also in terms of slipstreaming.
Yes it lacks top speed but there aren't many tracks where top speed wins the race.
I feel like it does belong in Gr4 but it needs to be toned down a little.

It might be strong, though I don't use it very often.
I have more fun driving cars I really like, like the 458 Gr4.

It lacks top speed.
Bugatti Veyron Gr4 is the way to go in Monza Gr4 races.

I agree with OP, the Mégane Trophy is a beast.
Not only in terms of breaking and cornering but also in terms of slipstreaming.
Yes it lacks top speed but there aren't many tracks where top speed wins the race.
I feel like it does belong in Gr4 but it needs to be toned down a little.

It might be strong, though I don't use it very often.
I have more fun driving cars I really like, like the 458 Gr4.
Your last sentence is the main point. Also, even though it's lightweight, it has almost the least amount of torque. That counts for a lot on all tracks.

K32
View attachment 739400
Tired of the old Gr.4 Megane that isn't op anymore? Don't worry, we have another op Megane! (it doesn't belong in Gr.4 but we'll put it there anyway!)

Anyone remember this? I was the first who predicted it was going to be OP! (ok not outright, but for most tracks)

The biggest issue arent the slightly OP cars, its the sheep who choose whatever the Top10 chose.
Instead of trying out different cars, thy just jump on the meta train and divebomb their way through the dailies.

It's also funny how european leaderboards look totally different to the asian ones...

It doesn't fuss me tbh. I am not a top 10 driver, so I drive what I enjoy rather than what is fastest for a particular track.

I have won a decent number of races in my trusty Aston Martin, and I've been trounced by a shed load of meganes a couple of times as well. Why drive the meta when you could drive what you want? Unless you're in the very top ranks you should be twinned with people of a similar pace, regardless of car choice - that's the whole point of the game's matchmaking...

I do think the Trophy is a bit of an odd choice for Gr.4 but it can probably be nerfed. Weight seems to be it's biggest advantage.

Z28 did well with a citroen in a race full of megane on maggiore. Mix top speed grip track.

True, but he wasn't coming close to catching that Megane in P1, which is where he should have been for an A/S lobby. He was on his EU account. I think if he had chosen the Megane he would have won. Its advantage really becomes more clear with fuel consumption and tire wear. The Citroen starts to fall apart after about 5 laps there. Even his qualy time was not what it should have been compared to his usual performances.....the dude is tooooo fast to be getting a 2:05.5 on Maggiore (or something like that).

Having said that, I am the same way in that I hesitate using the meta car, but in the case of the Megane I've tried over and over again and even though I can qualify almost as fast in other cars, the tire wear and fuel economy kills me in the later laps and forget about ever jumping a Megane in the pits by conserving fuel.

Z28 did well with a citroen in a race full of megane on maggiore. Mix top speed grip track.

That's only a 2nd split race at best, potentially 3rd split if one of the earlier timeslots. That qualifying time would've seen him about 16th at best in the top A+ split which is entirely car related, over a second off pole. Then on race pace the Megane is very easy on tyres and fuel compared to most cars. Absolutely everyone used the Megane in my lobby for a reason :lol:

They put the RS01 in GrX and an adapted version in Gr3, which is what they need to do for this as well. Put this one currently in Gr4 into GrX and have a Gr4 model without all the aero trickery and god-like brakes.

Months racing with Huracan gr4, till last week when I choose to run the megane in brands hatch and improved 1 second 3 laps later

I keep attempting the same thing every Gr.4 race. "Hmmm, I really don't want to use the Megane Trophy, so let's see what I'm faster with."

........1 hour of qualifying later......

"Well, I guess I'll be using the Megane Trophy."

I will always refuse to use a FWD Car as a Racecar if possible... Even if i am slower than those who just folow the mainstream and ruining the fun of the game with it.
There is so many Cars in this Game and still 50% always use the same Mainstream Cars. Arent we Car enthusiast that like some Cars and some not so much and there fore would like to win with our Favorit Cars and not with the ugly but fast once?
I dont know. I will never understand this behavior.
For Example i am 90% of the Time in naturally aspirated V8 Cars with RWD. Others maybe only drive japanese Cars. And others just drive the top qualifier cars :(.

I will always refuse to use a FWD Car as a Racecar if possible... Even if i am slower than those who just folow the mainstream and ruining the fun of the game with it.
There is so many Cars in this Game and still 50% always use the same Mainstream Cars. Arent we Car enthusiast that like some Cars and some not so much and there fore would like to win with our Favorit Cars and not with the ugly but fast once?
I dont know. I will never understand this behavior.
For Example i am 90% of the Time in naturally aspirated V8 Cars with RWD. Others maybe only drive japanese Cars. And others just drive the top qualifier cars :(.

The Megane Trophy is MR and its really fun to drive if you haven't tried it.

In regards to all the 'meta' comments - I didn't want this to become a conversation about the Megane Trophy is OP, it's the meta and needs to be nerfed.

There will always be a 'meta' in a competitive environment. Everyone is here to have fun, winning is more fun for some people than losing. If an efficient method of winning is identified people who want to win will use that method. Just like in any other competition whether it be gaming or not.

The meta can and will change but there will always be a meta in a competitive environment. The meta will exist with or without you.

Understanding what is fun for you is key. If you choose to use an inferior tool to have fun knowing there is a better / more efficient tool to use, then just make sure you are still having fun with your choice.

When the original Megane was OP. I didn't like driving it. I refused to. So i choose to drive something i enjoyed. My fun became how well i could do against the Megane and TT. I was having fun. But i understood the choice i made and not winning didn't bother me as that wasn't my prerogative. It was great bonus though.

You can't blame others as the meta will be the sum of all behaviours (that has the best efficiency lol).

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that GR4 is very badly balanced. PD included GT4, TC and a few VLN SP classes. While, indeed, if you watch VLN races they have similar lap times, 4wd, rear wheel and front wheel drive have VERY different tire wear and it makes them not competitive. And let's not forget thte fact that they also included the Veyron as a "gr4" :))). That being said, I would consider the Megane Trophy as one of the few proper cars for Gr4, as in reality it was also used in GT4 spec races.

Back