HOW TO: Back up your GT Sport data (Pin me?)

United States
Indiana
pie4july
Hello all,

Lately there have been numerous posts about how people have lost their progress on GT Sport. The reason for this is most likely because of corrupt saves. Corrupt saves can happen when the game is quit/crashes while a save is in progress. The best way to prevent corrupt save data is to be sure the game is not saving when you exit. When the game is saving, it lets you know in the bottom right hand of the screen,

The game often saves spontaneously it seems, so my method for not getting corrupt data is I always save before I quit. Once that save is complete, I know the game is not going to immediately try to re-save, so then I feel safe to quit, which i do by closing the application.

Unfortunately, things happen. So, how can you back up your save? I'll show you step by step! (Mods, may I ask that this topic be pinned so others can see?) :gtpflag:

This method only works if you have PS+. See a flash drive method below
--
Step one: Save your GT sport game, wait for the save to finish as indicated by the bottom right (as seen below), and then press and hold the PS button and select "close application".

PS_Messages_20180313_222833.jpg

Step two: Find the GT Sport application on your main psn HUD (Where you normally select it to start the game) While your selection box is on GT Sport, press the options button and select "Upload/Download Saved Data"

PS_Messages_20180313_222837.jpg

Step three: A new screen will appear as seen below. You then want to select "upload all" and then your data will be stored in the cloud! Alternatively, this is where you can download your game data if your file becomes corrupt.

PS_Messages_20180313_222841.jpg

I try to do this every day or two so if the inevitable happens, I do not lose too much progress. I hope this helps!

--
Flash drive method
Here is a decent video (disclaimer: not mine) showing how to save to a USB stick:

Edit: The video deals with both saving online and to a USB. The USB part starts around the 3:20 mark.

Last edited:
Also when you backup your save to a online storage or to a USB on a daily basis, please check your garage for cars that has not disappeared, because if you don't check this you will backup a save that has the cars gone from their garage.

Also when you backup your save to a online storage or to a USB on a daily basis, please check your garage for cars that has not disappeared, because if you don't check this you will backup a save that has the cars gone from their garage.

Good point.

@Famine, any chance we can get this thread pinned? Might help a lot of people, and will also reduce forum clutter

You can set it to automatically upload on PS+. But I wonder if your file gets corrupted, will that be uploaded as well? Like how would it know??

I guess I’ll turn off automatic uploads?

Hello all,

Lately there have been numerous posts about how people have lost their progress on GT Sport. The reason for this is most likely because of corrupt saves. Corrupt saves can happen when the game is quit/crashes while a save is in progress. The best way to prevent corrupt save data is to be sure the game is not saving when you exit. When the game is saving, it lets you know in the bottom right hand of the screen,

The game often saves spontaneously it seems, so my method for not getting corrupt data is I always save before I quit. Once that save is complete, I know the game is not going to immediately try to re-save, so then I feel safe to quit, which i do by closing the application.

Unfortunately, things happen. So, how can you back up your save? I'll show you step by step! (Mods, may I ask that this topic be pinned so others can see?) :gtpflag:

This method only works if you have PS+. See a flash drive method below
--
Step one: Save your GT sport game, wait for the save to finish as indicated by the bottom right (as seen below), and then press and hold the PS button and select "close application".

View attachment 721844

Step two: Find the GT Sport application on your main psn HUD (Where you normally select it to start the game) While your selection box is on GT Sport, press the options button and select "Upload/Download Saved Data"

View attachment 721845

Step three: A new screen will appear as seen below. You then want to select "upload all" and then your data will be stored in the cloud! Alternatively, this is where you can download your game data if your file becomes corrupt.

View attachment 721846

I try to do this every day or two so if the inevitable happens, I do not lose too much progress. I hope this helps!

--
Flash drive method
Question? I've been doing this Every time i'm finished playing as i am one of those who have lost All there garage car's,I Have another family member "user" playing the game so if they do this also will it overwrite my cloud or do each user have it's on cloud which i think is the case but not sure?

Question? I've been doing this Every time i'm finished playing as i am one of those who have lost All there garage car's,I Have another family member "user" playing the game so if they do this also will it overwrite my cloud or do each user have it's on cloud which i think is the case but not sure?
Only the user with PS Plus can do a cloud save, the other user has to back up to USB stick.

For some reason i have to start game from scratch just for a while, and so my plan is to:
1) make a backup on cloud and usb drive
2) delete storage save
3) start a new game and play some
4) load back my previous save and continue on it

Does anyone know if after loading the old save from cloud i will get back my online wins/ races/ and other stats?

I dont wanna lose my progress on main save, especially the online ones.

..so will it work, what do you think?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, i think holding PS button and control and selecting CLOSE APPLICATION will take into account the saving. That is to say, if the game is midway through saving, it will finish that task before exiting the game. The problem occurs when the game is midway through saving, and someone holds PS button and selects TURN OFF PLAYSTATION, as that will just power off immediately (same goes for if the power goes out in your house, but that is beyond a users control so is irrelevant).

For some reason i have to start game from scratch just for a while, and so my plan is to:
1) make a backup on cloud and usb drive
2) delete storage save
3) start a new game and play some
4) load back my previous save and continue on it

Does anyone know if after loading the old save from cloud i will get back my online wins/ races/ and other stats?

I dont wanna lose my progress on main save, especially the online ones.

..so will it work, what do you think?

If you want to start from scratch without losing your current save, then just make a new account... dont br risky like that

If you want to start from scratch without losing your current save, then just make a new account... dont br risky like that

The thing is I am going for plat and have bugged 'king of the ovals', which does not seem to unlock anytime soon. I have drove over 3500 km on ovals towards 806 km needed, and still no trophy popped up. There are more people struggling with this, there is a seperate thread about this bug which has no other solution so far. Unfortunetely nobody confirmed that after restoring old save you get all achievements back;/.

Edit:
I just made a test. I copied save to usb and cloud with 227 online races done, drove 1 race online so it was 228. Then restored back to usb/cloud save and guess what. Online races didnt change back to 227, it was still 228. So i better will not risk with this.. thanks anyway

Last edited:
The thing is I am going for plat and have bugged 'king of the ovals', which does not seem to unlock anytime soon. I have drove over 3500 km on ovals towards 806 km needed, and still no trophy popped up. There are more people struggling with this, there is a seperate thread about this bug which has no other solution so far. Unfortunetely nobody confirmed that after restoring old save you get all achievements back;/.

I'm not sure you can get the profile back that way. I would not try it

Oh dear God. I read this post yesterday and wanted to prevent having a problem.

Instead of uploading the file I clicked on download. I thought it made sense to click on download everything to iCloud. How stupid can I be.

There is no solution for my stupidity I think ? Lost a lot of money and cars and 100 online races. It now says 125 completed races (233*). XP level down to 38.

Lost 48 hours of gameplay in 1 day.....

Not a good start of the day............

Last edited:
Hmm.. that means you've had an old save in cloud which you accidently loaded and this downgraded your progress, right?

That is really bad for you if you dont have current progrees backed up, i guess.

But your post contradicts with the test I've done yesterday. I uploaded save from day before and my races online nor any other stats havent downgraded, but they should according to what you say. Any idea why?

Last edited:
Oh dear God. I read this post yesterday and wanted to prevent having a problem.

Instead of uploading the file I clicked on download. I thought it made sense to click on download everything to iCloud. How stupid can I be.

There is no solution for my stupidity I think ? Lost a lot of money and cars and 100 online races. It now says 125 completed races (233*). XP level down to 38.

Lost 48 hours of gameplay in 1 day.....

Not a good start of the day............

I remember doing this exact same thing but it was when I first started playing GTS so I didn't lose anything.

Sorry this happened

Hmm.. that means you've had an old save in cloud which you accidently loaded and this downgraded your progress, right?
Yes I had a savegame from march. Also because of this thread. In my screen I saw both dates and even looked into the thread but come on, why read if you already familiar with computers. So I just did what seemed very logical to me. Instead of saving and uploading all to the cloud, I just downloaded all from march.

My DR is now the same. The online races are half. Money and cars and everything went back into time. My online wins changed. No more clean races. All the bonussen gone. The only thing unchanged is my DR status. Which I am happy about of course.

If necessary I can post before and after pictures of the kudos stats.

Its ok then it makes sense and this is logical it should be that way. But I dont know why i cannot go back with progress from 1 day before (ive made a backup on usb and cloud and both dont work)

A lot of users have been having issues with corrupt data lately. I am bumping this topic to help users learn how to back up their data.

Pass it on to your friends.

Hey @Famine could you please pinned this Thread, and I also want to know why it was not pinned when asked a while ago, thank you.

Hey @Famine could you please pinned this Thread, and I also want to know why it was not pinned when asked a while ago, thank you.
Do you mean you'd like to know why?

I can tell you that I've not done it because I don't recall anyone contacting me to ask me to do so. I see I was tagged in a post in March, but when I get 90+ taggings a day I might not see a request here or there. Fun fact, my calendar that day has me in a hotel 200 miles from home on an overnighter, and I tend not to check GTPlanet while I'm driving. This is an - or another - indicator that if you really want to talk to the moderators about something, messaging us is better than hoping we see stuff in random threads. Although I might still not see all my messages, as I get a lot of those too, so perhaps contact more than one.

As for pinning the thread itself... my gut reaction is that backing up GT Sport saves is no different than backing up any other game saves, and indeed the video in post 2 that's also cited in the first post shows just that. So really it's a Console & PC Gaming forum thread on how to back up PS4 save game files, but with GT Sport in the title.

I'm sure it's useful advice (although from the looks of it, people only realise they should back up their game saves after they have lost them), but it's not really offering anything specific to GT Sport to merit pinning in the GT Sport forum.

But maybe we'll discuss it among ourselves when we've got some time to do so.

Back