HOW TO: Back up your GT Sport data (Pin me?)

Lost a lot of money and cars and 100 online races.
Does it mean that you can actually "delete" your online results if you had a bad day in sport mode and restore from the day before? I doubt of that though. So what does mean "lost 100 online races" exactly?

Hey @ROCKET JOE do you want to know if your online stats from your Sports Mode races changes, because there is an issue with your current save, and you want to use an old save ?.

Last edited:
Hey @ROCKET JOE do you want to know if your online stats from your Sports Mode races changes, because there is an issue with your current save, and you want to use an old save ?.

I'm not too interested in my game stats in general, have visited Jason's or Milouse's sites only a few times, but your question is interesting of course.
I expect the Sport mode stats like DR, SR, race count, wins, poles, FLs to be absolutely untouchable. I hope you've found out exactly this :) !

I'm not too interested in my game stats in general, have visited Jason's or Milouse's sites only a few times, but your question is interesting of course.
I expect the Sport mode stats like DR, SR, race count, wins, poles, FLs to be absolutely untouchable. I hope you've found out exactly this :) !
That is right about when you said DR, SR, race count, wins, poles, FLs to be absolutely untouchable.
I started a new game in March and I went to the Gran Turismo website today, and my stats from the Sports Mode races are there even though I deleted my save to start a new game in march and my stats are from January this year.

I just called to the UK PS support (because the support in my country sucks ass apparently, they don’t know anything) and after a long explanation of my situation the guy that assisted me found out that GT Sport ONLY uses online save data to prevent players from modding the save data, hence the online-only saving procedure. It only makes a copy of the online save data for playing offline. That explains why we cannot save our progress offline - it would be useless because when the game reconnects it just loads up the data on their servers and overwrite the offline data with it.

Before anyone asks: I tried launching the game offline, the game loads my save data but when I reconnect the game, it just loads up the data on the servers and overwrites the offline save data.

Therefore, I lost all my progress because of PD’s silence and not informing people enough.

BACKED UP SAVE DATA CANNOT BE USED TO RESTORE THE PROGRESS ONCE THE SAVE DATA IS DELETED FROM THE SERVER OR ONCE IT IS CORRUPTED.

I hope no one else loses their progress because of this.

I just called to the UK PS support (because the support in my country sucks ass apparently, they don’t know anything) and after a long explanation of my situation the guy that assisted me found out that GT Sport ONLY uses online save data to prevent players from modding the save data, hence the online-only saving procedure. It only makes a copy of the online save data for playing offline. That explains why we cannot save our progress offline - it would be useless because when the game reconnects it just loads up the data on their servers and overwrite the offline data with it.

Before anyone asks: I tried launching the game offline, the game loads my save data but when I reconnect the game, it just loads up the data on the servers and overwrites the offline save data.

Therefore, I lost all my progress because of PD’s silence and not informing people enough.

BACKED UP SAVE DATA CANNOT BE USED TO RESTORE THE PROGRESS ONCE THE SAVE DATA IS DELETED FROM THE SERVER OR ONCE IT IS CORRUPTED.

You can not Delete you save Data from the server, you have to Delete it in your System Storage.

Last edited:
Oh dear God. I read this post yesterday and wanted to prevent having a problem.

Instead of uploading the file I clicked on download. I thought it made sense to click on download everything to iCloud. How stupid can I be.

There is no solution for my stupidity I think ? Lost a lot of money and cars and 100 online races. It now says 125 completed races (233*). XP level down to 38.

Lost 48 hours of gameplay in 1 day.....

Not a good start of the day............

Five days ago I did the exact same thing. I’m somewhat lucky in that I only lost 90 days, it has dropped me from level to 47 to 44, a few Sports Racing achievements and around 12,000 miles.

So basically, since I lost my cars in update 1.19, backup save is useless and now I can delete it from PS+ cloud to save some space :).

On PD servers I only have DLC cars even after 1.20, so all I can do now is grind... Great.

So basically, since I lost my cars in update 1.19, backup save is useless and now I can delete it from PS+ cloud to save some space :).

On PD servers I only have DLC cars even after 1.20, so all I can do now is grind... Great.

Basically yeah... you cannot upload your saved progress to the servers anyway, only download.

That is not the same thing though. It seems like his offline data was corrupted, therefore after he deleted it, all his progress was still there - because the game loaded it from the servers.

I know I don’t know much about how all this works . It was just a thought of if he’s got a hard slog of getting back to where he was before his problem and if he feels he’s got nothing to lose. He could try doing what I did then use an older usb save .
I felt I had nothing to lose by trying what I did.

Last edited:
I must admit, I am confused whether or not this method works now.

I have never done it, but put this topic together based on posts from others. A lot of people here are saying it works, and a lot are saying it doesn't.

I have a UK account that I created and abandoned. I might try deleting older data on it and uploading an older save to see what happens. I'll try this evening.

How come your backup save was useless ?, all you had to do is just download your Game Progress Data from your online storage, and overwrite your save in your system storage.

I just did some testing on this.

I am unable to reinstate on old USB save point, even though I am certain I was able to do so before.
The server overwrites any console save I try, regardless of whether I start the game online or offline.

You can still upload anything you have done offline and update the servers.

But it seems going backwards into your save history via USB or Cloud is a thing of the past.

How come your backup save was useless ?, all you had to do is just download your Game Progress Data from your online storage, and overwrite your save in your system storage.
It will be overwritten with the data from the server as soon as the game connects to the server.

I want to know why was by his backup save was useless, I am waiting for his reply.
I genuinely question whether there is any "use" in creating a backup save at all anymore.
I struggle to think of a situation where it makes any difference.

I tried the most simple of tests.
I saved my game to USB.
I started the game and did nothing but changed cars in the garage (RX7 into a FT-1)
I quit the game.
I copied my (RX7) save from USB back to console.
Started the game, I'm in the FT-1.

I want to know why was by his backup save was useless, I am waiting for his reply.

My reply is: backup save will be overwritten by save file from the game server and yes, I tried this on both PS4s and in offline mode my backup save works, I have all my cars but just like Lord Protector said, when you go online, your cars are gone.

@MichalRaven
Have you tried to reconnect with the servers after playing offline?

By that, I mean play offline with the backup save that has all your cars.
Perhaps update the console save by doing a quick GT League race.
Then reconnect the console to the internet without closing the GT App or powering off the console.
And then in GT use the "reconnect" button.

I can't buy cars offline, of course.
But I can race Arcade offline, earn Credits etc, change into different cars, etc., and then reconnect to the GT servers and it updates all my progress and changes to the server save.
I'm wondering if it may recognise the cars in your garage if you try this.

*Edit*
There may be a reasonable chance this could work for you.
I just tried a couple more things.
It's easy for me to play offline as my console is wired, so I simply pull the ethernet cable from out of the back of the console.
I did this and started GT.
I sold a car and earned 100k, and lost a car from my garage while offline.
I changed into another different car.
I then plugged the ethernet cable back into the console and "reconnected" with the GT servers.
The server save was then automatically updated with my new garage car count and extra credits.

Worth a shot IMO.

Last edited:
I did and this is the result:

Your method with selling cars might work, but I'm very sceptical. As you can see I went online and cars are gone.

Fair enough.

One thing that stands out to me is that your are Lv 38 offline and Lv 40 online.

@MichalRaven to me it looks like you have nothing to lose by completely uninstalling GTS from your PS4 and from the servers but keep a usb save if you have one and it has all your cars ect then do a reinstall and update and then try your usb save.

When you play offline the game is restricted to garage, livery editor, arcade, campaign and scapes.
Is it possible that the online savefile updates accordingly as long as you change things within these areas, while it does not update when you add cars since brand central is not accessible offline ?

What if you win a car in driving school for example while offline, anyone wants to try :rolleyes: ?

I did and this is the result:

Your method with selling cars might work, but I'm very sceptical. As you can see I went online and cars are gone.

Sold another car. :lol:

The game responds differently for me after hitting the "reconnect" button.

The "checking server and save data status" message you get, is what I get if I start the game with my console save data deleted.
And the "save data has been saved on the server" confirmation I get is obviously absent for you.

I've no idea what this means. :P
Just pointing out the differences.

*Edit*
@ROCKET JOE
Tested it, no issues.
Won Gold (just :P ), garage count went up by one (44 to 45), Credits etc. added (508k to 545k), server updated fine.

*Edit 2*
@666666
Tested it, big issues. :lol:

I didn't go to the point of uninstalling and re-downloading the game and updates, but I deleted my console save and told the GT servers to not load the save it had.

Obviously this means I had a fresh start - Lvl. 1
Tried reinstalling USB save - failed.
Watched Sportsmanship videos, then tried reinstalling USB save - failed.
Went offline, deleted console save, reinstalled USB save - all cars from USB save point were there.
Sold a car, won a car, "reconnected" to GT servers, and it even gave me the "save data has been saved on the server" confirmation message.
But still back at Lvl. 1 with no cars when logged in to the servers.

Looks like yet another fresh start for me. :lol:

Last edited:
I think it's more than clear that backing up the save data is absolutely pointless :) they have no use whatsoever.
I'll still save mine to usb. The files still might be useful as proof of my progress/garage contents to Sony/PD if ever something goes wrong, which seems to be happening to quite a few lately unfortunately.

@Tassie_tiger umm sorry your at a position that seams to be worse, but you that’s not what I did .
All good. 👍
That's one of the reasons for that account, to play around with exactly this type of stuff.

It's not the first time it's been reset back to Lvl. 1, and probably won't be the last. ;)

Back