How to control wheel spin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AAG
  • 9 comments
  • 2,306 views

AAG

Messages
16
Online I'll run tunnel drags on SS7 but I'll spin through 2nd gear while everyone else takes off smooth (tcs off by host). What am I doing wrong?
 
Too much low end torque. Just let off the gas and coast through the turns. Or you can by customizable LSD, and increase the initial torque and acceleration sensitivity.
 
It totally depends on the car too, is it RWD, 4WD, how much HP and downforce does it have?
 
Are you using a wheel or Dualshock?
 
Using a dualshock and its my rwd cars that I have this problem with
 
AAG
Using a dualshock and its my rwd cars that I have this problem with

It's going to be very tough to control wheelspin with the Dualshock, because you are limited in your ability to control the throtle.

Basically, you don't want to just give it full throttle all the time, or you'll just spin. You want to give it enough to where you can *feel* it is about to slip, but you have enough traction to accelerate. All of this is hard to do without a wheel though...


In your A-Spec races do you race with traction control on? If so, I recommend you turn it off anf run some laps in a RWD car in order to get the hand og driving it. Once you practice launching, and everyting else, you'll do much better. Practice is the only thing that will really help.


Parker
 
It's going to be very tough to control wheelspin with the Dualshock, because you are limited in your ability to control the throtle.

Basically, you don't want to just give it full throttle all the time, or you'll just spin. You want to give it enough to where you can *feel* it is about to slip, but you have enough traction to accelerate. All of this is hard to do without a wheel though...


In your A-Spec races do you race with traction control on? If so, I recommend you turn it off anf run some laps in a RWD car in order to get the hand og driving it. Once you practice launching, and everyting else, you'll do much better. Practice is the only thing that will really help.


Parker

It is hard, but not impossible. The DS3 buttons are pressure sensitive, so while it is not as variable as the pedals, you can still control the throttle to a decent level.
 
It is hard, but not impossible. The DS3 buttons are pressure sensitive, so while it is not as variable as the pedals, you can still control the throttle to a decent level.

That is a good point. But, would it be better to map the throttle and brake to R2 and L2? I'd think you'd be able to control the throttle and braking better with the triggers (especially with those extenders you can buy) than you could with X or square.
 
That is a good point. But, would it be better to map the throttle and brake to R2 and L2? I'd think you'd be able to control the throttle and braking better with the triggers (especially with those extenders you can buy) than you could with X or square.

I'm surprised a lot of people didn't change GT5's crap control scheme. It is way better, you can easily apply 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 or full throttle using the shoulder buttons.
 
I go with the classic control set up I have always used since GT3 and that is the X=gas, square=brakes and R1/L1 for gear shifts. The triggers do work better, but I don't like the feel of the triggers and they are poorly built IMO as I have broken the trigger on one of my controllers under normal use.
 
Back