How to get faster?

  • Thread starter Thread starter The35
  • 50 comments
  • 3,325 views
I don't get it.. What you mean by "get tagged"? Maybe stupid question... :D
It's when you put an @ sign right in front of someone's screen name. Sometimes once you've got a few letters it'll suggest the name for you so you don't need to type it all.

It notifies the person you've "tagged" that way. You may have noticed in your Alerts that I tagged you in a post. 👍

Don't worry though, I was just being daft because the others were tagged. :sly:
 
Got it now! Also fixed! ;) I was in a hurry when I wrote the post :)
You didn't have to :).

But, yeah, great community :bowdown:. I'll be hoping to utilise the info in this thread to improve my times too. Some of it comes down to talent (something I lack enough of for the fastest times. Those guys are amazingly quick!) but a lot of it comes from practising technique; something we can all do.
 
IMO and not necessarily in any order and not terribly deep in the issue...

1) Turn off the driving line. If you drive in real life your own natural skills should kick in after a few screw ups (you'll end up slowing down a bit to avoid the crashes and skids and spins, from which you work your way back up). Work from there. But avoid the driving line if you're already game-familiar. It's a speed reducer for most anyone who has the basic idea of when to brake down at all because ideal or not, it doesn't fit most people's natural driving style and it's not the fastest line by far. It's the safest for race managers, because they have to worry about driver health and repair costs, neither of which apply to us virtually omniscient, invincible Lords of the Kingdom of Granturismoville.

2) Practice Makes Perfect. Bottom line is that finding the nuances, and more importantly, becoming familiar with finding the nuances that are the difference between kinda fast and fast in any track is a skill you can only learn (IMO) by going round and round and round and round again. Stick with one track and keep trying to beat your own time. I've been OCD enough at times to do literal hours around a single track. (see #4. It helps with that as well)

3) Start off with something that handles easily without futzing with tunes. An RX7 is an easy choice in my opinion, although I'm sure you'll pick whatever it is that fits the mold for you. Use a tire type you're comfortable with. I generally try to stick with sport hard medium soft (actually, in reverse order), although some may snort in derision. But it's not about them and their rules. it's about you and your skillset.

4) Learn to tune. Vast savings can be had with the proper tune on any car. Some cars will require it. Personally, although I'm sure the master tuners around here are worth their weight in gold, and I mean no disrespect to them, but if you don't learn to do it yourself, you will be forever enslaved to someone else that dictates your max advantage. Crack open that browser and start learning what the various things mean in real life. it will give you valuable insight and understanding you can apply (to some degree) in game.

One thing you can do wrt tuning to start is this, presuming you have game cash for the purpose. Fit a car with all four optional suspensions. For now, ignore the infinitely adjustable and just try using the other three (rally, hard race and soft race) in various conditions, noting how they behave. Race hard on something like Suzuka or one of the other smooth tracks is dandy. race soft on bumpy conditions like Sarthe. Rally for really chewy road conditions (I'm not talking literal off road situations, but others like the various "mountain" raceways)


I cannot emphasize how much it is (IMO) important for you to read up on things like brake bias or toe angle or how suspension spring force related to ride height. The other aspects of tuning are a bit more esoteric (to me, anyway) but these will get you started.
 
Last edited:
Apparently searching on GTP doesn't give consistent results. Here is the thread I was talking about earlier, 12 Things to make you faster.
Excellent work that:tup:

IMO the two most important are 1, 3, turning off the aids and sticking to harder tires. Harder tires are slower so things happen at a slower pace, but they also provide less grip, forcing you to rely more on car control and smooth inputs to get the most out of the car. Slapping SS to RS tires on everything takes away the feel of the car and it's really much harder to decipher what's happening with the car and why. Even if you intend to run on softer tires later, training on harder tires is still the way to go. Turning off the aids allows you to drive the car without the game driving it for you as ASM, SRF, TC and others do on your behalf. Sometimes you have to lose control to find your limits.
 
Yeah, 1 and 3 are mission critical for improving. Even though I always enjoyed racing on TV and casually played GT since GT1 ( usually completing 20-30%), I was very ignorant of the theory behind it. So for me step 5 was critical too. I'm not one of those guys that know that name of every famous corner and I don't play the game 5-8 hours a day. Well, sometimes I do :guilty:.
 
Apparently searching on GTP doesn't give consistent results. Here is the thread I was talking about earlier, 12 Things to make you faster.
What a superb summary! Thanks for sharing! 1-2-3-7 are the main learners for me...👍

(7 to me ís: be ready for the corner before the corner...)
 
Apparently searching on GTP doesn't give consistent results. Here is the thread I was talking about earlier, 12 Things to make you faster.
Very nice! Cheers for the link. Lots of very good information in that. :cheers:

Think I may have only searched the GT6 forums earlier which could explain why it didn't come up (although I'm sure I searched everything :boggled:).

Edit: Just realised that's where I read the tip about prioritising corners (Point 8) I referred to before. I thought it seemed familiar!
 
Last edited:
@waukazoo

This thread is great! Thanks! J

@Oshawa-Joe

This is something I’ll definitely save in my bookmarks list! J Great summary, actually mentioning most of the things you guys advising here in this thread in a well organized format. Could image it took some time to collect all the information and put this guide together. Respect! J


@JogoAsobi

Thanks!

--------------

About the first steps:

Today, I only had about an hour to practice, so I went to GT6 SE – Miata challenge and I did the following:

I drove around 10-15 laps on soft, that on hard and at the end on custom suspension (conf.soft was the default tire). It helped a lot to understand the differences between the setups. Before I started the whole thing, I went through on DolHaus’s guide (which is still great I can say) so I was prepared to play around with the general settings. At the end of the practice I managed to break my current record with bit more than a second. The custom setup was the best, but I only changed the rear spring stiffness to harder and the ride height to mid low (110mm I believe...) and the Brake bias to 5:1. One sec is not a big breakthrough, but at least faster than I yesterday was! J
 
I'm actually not new in GT, I've playing with the series from GT 2, but about a year ago started to take it a bit more serious. Bought a playseat and an entry level wheel (DFGT) and tried to practice with all aids off. Now the thing is that I spend quiet few hours on track, try to learn precise cornering, hitting the APEX, shifting n’ things, but still I’m way behind the fast drivers (around 8 sec/course lap). Sometimes I feel that few of my fast laps are on the limit of the given car and track and cannot believe someone can complete 8 sec faster with the same setup, but the reality is disappointing when I check other’s lap times J.

Now I’m wondering, what could make the difference to be fast/faster driver besides of lot of practicing of course? Maybe just with some certain talent can be achieved to put real fast times on the table? I don’t know, but would be great, if someone can give some guideline, if there is any technique can be applied in order to gain some consistent development. What I can think about, maybe the car setting can help, I mean the Bake bias, suspension setup... I started to play around with these setting, helped a bit, but definitely not that much could make huge differences.


Sorry for the long post, maybe seems silly or too general, but these are questions I cannot answer by myself, but maybe someone from here...J


Thanks in advance.
Join the S.N.A.I.L Racing league, we will help you alot
 
Try not to overdrive the car. Going into a corner a bit to hot can mean wasting a few tenths before you can get back on the throtlle, and if it leads onto a long straight by the next turn you could have lost 3/4's of a second. This often happens to me when trying to keep up with racers who are quicker than me.
That's fairly dependent on driving style. I know that myself and some other fast drivers tend to overdrive it slightly, but it's about getting a balance between letting the car do work and forcing it to do something.
 
Braking does make a large difference on lap times though, that always used to be my weakness but I gradually got the hang of my braking settings and now it's not an issue now, I tend to modulate the brake on entry like most people however if I'm offline I tend to pump it so try and get the rear out to get me away from the edge of the track.
 
What do guys keep your brake settings at? I kinda keep it set to 4/6 with most of my cars. I'm I making a mistake by keeping this way? What should a standard setup be? And it should make a difference going into/out of turns correct?

Just trying to get faster myself..

(based on spec racing)
 
What do guys keep your brake settings at? I kinda keep it set to 4/6 with most of my cars. I'm I making a mistake by keeping this way? What should a standard setup be? And it should make a difference going into/out of turns correct?

Just trying to get faster myself..

(based on spec racing)

Well, personally I leave ABS set to 1 and generally use biases in and around around 6/5 7/6 8/7 depending on the car. At this point, based on the variety of biases I've seen posted in different threads, I'd use whatever works for you, since it depends on the tuning you've opted to follow. I do my own, and for me, a slight forward bias generally works best.
 
What do guys keep your brake settings at? I kinda keep it set to 4/6 with most of my cars. I'm I making a mistake by keeping this way? What should a standard setup be? And it should make a difference going into/out of turns correct?

Just trying to get faster myself..

(based on spec racing)
Brake balance can be affected by many things (weight distribution/tyres/suspension/lsd), its worth playing around with to find the right balance for the particular track and car as it can affect things like stability and corner entry. Like all tuning, there is no cover-all solution and different cars will work better with different settings
 
Back