How to make an e-brake rig for the DFGT in minutes. Updated!

United States
AR, USA
SFX_Adavicro
SFX Adavicro
5580517283_0c31a55ceb.jpg

I've had a few people ask me how to do this, and I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. If it even helps one person it was worth the effort.​

So, you have a DFGT and you like drifting on it, but you find yourself needing the e-brake to get you out of some sticky situations. This wouldnt be a problem if the wheel wasnt always spinning in some crazy direction, but since it does, this is the solution that has helped me. This simple tutorial is for people like me who dont want to go through the trouble of building an e-brake rig from an actual car, but just want something simple so they can pull the e-brake when they need it. By doing this, it will always be in the same position, which is the point.

Note that these pictures were taken from my iphone at night, so the quality isnt the greatest, but you should be able to get the gist.

What you need:

Dual Shock 3 Controller and at least 3 rubber bands, hair ties, whatever:
5581104512_966a07db3b.jpg

Driving Force GT Steering Wheel:
5580519011_f3353839c2.jpg

What to do:

Unscrew the right clip that holds the wheel onto whatever surface its attached to and hang a rubber band in the open gap so it wont get pinched when you re-tighten the clamp. I used 3 rubber bands because the ones I have are quite flimsy. Have it hang there freely, then tighten it back up:
5582412227_fe71748d7e.jpg

Now take your DS3 and put a rubber band around the left side of the controller, and the right side. I also used 3 rubber bands on each side for more strength. Also, sorry about the blurry picture, but you should get the point well enough:
5582417183_1352d954ed.jpg

Take the rubber band(s) on the right side of your controller, take it in front of the shifter, and wrap it securely around the tightening peg at the right/top of the wheel. You will probably have to hold it in place to do the next step, and dont worry if its touching the shifter, this is fine:
5582418705_7310469a15.jpg

The rubber band on the left side of the controller should now be stretched around that same tightening peg, but this time the rubber band goes around the shifter on the side nearest you. Both rubberbands on each side of your controller will touch the shifter, but the resistance put on it isnt even noticable. If anything it makes it feel less cheap:
5583005070_d646fd1242.jpg

Now for the rubber band you put around the clip at the bottom of the wheel at the beginning of the tutorial. Take that and stretch it around the left side of your controller, this should now firmly mount your DS3 to the right side of your shifter. Wiggle it a bit and see if it moves around, if you feel it needs more rigidity, add more rubber bands:
5583005822_1e80d84b10.jpg

For the final step, go into your controller settings and set what button you want the e-brake to be. After much trial and error I've found that "L2" works the best for me, while some may like using the sticks on the side of the controller. You can also take this time to map your "Reverse" function to the controller so you dont have to worry about flailing around anytime you need to back up. I now use "R1" for reverse and it works great. Note that you dont need to map every single button to e-brake, I did this because I found it hilarious:
5581102446_876d71c453.jpg

Now you should have your own little improvised e-brake rig. Experiment with it and see which button works best for you and hopefully you will like this better then trying to find the e-brake on the wheel as its spinning through your hands. Here are a few more pictures for visual aid.
5580516895_a5e5523f1e.jpg

5581103060_7dda5c73e2.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Update:

I ended up turning an old computer joystick into an e-brake after much frustration with trying to mount it. I got the idea from the_kingb_'s drifting video thread, so credit goes to him. Its simple really, all you need is some kind of joystick, or anything thats similar, and have it where when you pull back on it, the e-brake is engaged from the stick on your DS3. The hardest part of this was getting it to stay in the same place, because I have a very small nightstand that my wheel sits on.

I also modified my pedals for more resistance using a bungie cord which I saw in an article here on GTP, and I must say, the difference is night and day. The pedals feel a lot meatier and more like a real car. I highly recommend anyone that has a bungie laying around to try it out, you won't regret it. Here are some pictures:

5585945043_8d98c5b4db.jpg

5589969129_04ed8b8db8.jpg

5590558274_55294f6fdd.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, nice little 'project' of its own there :D

Now i understand the importance of the pad with buttons on it.. on the g25 shifter.. oh well..

You know how in Forza I didn't stick with it. In theory if I learn how to drift with it on this I would benefit so much better.

Not to bring you down but i have a better handbrake out of a ds3, also very simple.
Will get pics tomorrow.

Handbrake with the Analog stick FTW.... but Handbrake out of real car Handbrake is even better! :)

so you're basically slapping the controller in hopes of hitting one of those buttons?

so you're basically slapping the controller in hopes of hitting one of those buttons?

Not really, it takes about a day to get use to, after that you should hit whatever button youre looking for at least 95% of the time. It never moves so you always know where its at. The picture of every button as e-brake was just for laughs.

Nice idea Adavicro; i will definatly add this to my setup.
I had all unneeded buttons on the wheel mapped as the ebrake.. ;)

Nice idea Adavicro; i will definatly add this to my setup.
I had all unneeded buttons on the wheel mapped as the ebrake.. ;)

Haha thats what I was doing before I came up with this. Its a lot better then looking down or feeling around for the e-brake. At least with this you always know where its gonna be, you just have to train your hand to know where its at. Same thing as typing, guitar, whatever. 👍

But with yours, Powell, you have to loose a controller cause you glue the marker onto it. Which is no good if you only have one controller like me, lol. Good concept though

But with yours, Powell, you have to loose a controller cause you glue the marker onto it. Which is no good if you only have one controller like me, lol. Good concept though

well, mine had L2 and R2 broke off it and the analogue didnt center properly. so, i had nothing to lose. :)

ok. As promised heres my e-brake.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1856/image001aap.jpg
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5240/image000e.jpg
Sorry, I dont know how to put pics on thread. :(
but all I really did was got a marker, pulled the end off it, cleaned it out, put it over the analogue, and glued it. then i re-inforced it with hair bobins.
P.s im not a girl. :P

I guess if you want to permanently modify a controller than that would be better than my setup. Right now Im trying to make a new rig with an old computer joystick that I saw in another thread. I dont have enough room next to my wheel to mount it though. Its making me raaaaageee.

Thanks for posting this I will probably set mine up after work.

ok. As promised heres my e-brake.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1856/image001aap.jpg
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5240/image000e.jpg
Sorry, I dont know how to put pics on thread. :(
but all I really did was got a marker, pulled the end off it, cleaned it out, put it over the analogue, and glued it. then i re-inforced it with hair bobins.
P.s im not a girl. :P

Great idea! But like the others said I wouldnt want to glue anything to my controller just looking for a temporary solution for an e-brake.

Why don't you just use the shift stick?
If you use manual, just use the paddle shifters to shift.

Well for me at least I cant get behind the wheel when I got the steering wheel locked trying to hold a drift I just slap the shifter... I was thinking about using the paddle shifters behind the wheel for the e-brake but I didnt for the same reason as not using them for shifters.

I tried that and ended upwith my arms in a knot and downshifting when i want to upshift and vice versa. Got me very frustrated, funny now i look back onit though, lol

I tried that and ended upwith my arms in a knot and downshifting when i want to upshift and vice versa. Got me very frustrated, funny now i look back onit though, lol

Yeah, I had the same with my old wheel, it really didn't get any better with the G27 either, so now I use the gearbox only, much easier when you know what gear you're in and where the next one is.👍

I added my joystick e-brake and bungie pedals to the OP. They both make a world of difference and I encourage everyone that has this wheel to try it out. You'll definitely get more bang for your buck.

Back