How would you like an option to choose Endurance race length?

Would you like an option to choose length of longer Endurance events?

• Yes

Votes: 21 30.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • It doesn't matter to me

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Since Gran Turismo 4 there has been full-length Endurance races included; for example the 'Circuit de la Sarthe I 24 hour Endurance' and the 'Nurburgring 24Hr Endurance'. There are also smaller events such as the 'Tsukuba 9 hour Endurance' and the 'Roadster 4 hours'.

All these events are full scale, so take as long as the titles suggest. This means that to complete some of them you have to either stay awake for the duration (only really an issue with the 24Hr events), get B-spec Bob's assistance :nervous:, or do the race with a friend. Of course you can also just save the race mid-event and break it down into smaller chunks.

Now racing like that is actually enjoyable for some, and that's fine. However I doubt it's for everyone. I personally prefer how the Endurance races were back in GT3, where each event could be completed in around three hours.

So why not add a length-scale option for the longer Endurance races in GT6? For instance you could scale the 24-hour races down to around three hours minimum. Therefore it would still be a long Endurance race gaming-wise, but not to the extent that it deters some people from even trying them. Of course the option would be in place to race the event at full length too.

One last thing. If this option was implemented I feel the prize car should not be lessened by choosing the shorter distance. In my opinion the incentive to race for the longer duration should be something like a higher cash reward; not a more desirable prize car.

What are your thoughts?

It takes all the challenge out of it if you can turn down the length in my opinion, they're not compulsory but a real achievement if you can win it.

It takes all the challenge out of it if you can turn down the length in my opinion, they're not compulsory but a real achievement if you can win it.
It might take some of the challenge out in a sense; it won't be as tough on the car. If the rate at which fuel is used and the tyres wear (as well as other car components) is scaled along with the duration of the race though, surely this wouldn't be an issue?

As for the human element, I can't see much of an issue there either. Even three hours is a long time for someone to focus on a race, and their concentration will waver. So the challenge of keeping mistakes to a minimum while your focus is fading will be there still.

Mr Fusion
So why not add a length-scale option for the longer Endurance races in GT6?

No way. They dont need to be dumbed down.

B-Spec should feature fast forwarding and thats it.

No way. They dont need to be dumbed down.

B-Spec should feature fast forwarding and thats it.
I can't say I agree that scaling the length of Endurance races is dumbing them down, but I do feel you have mentioned a decent alternative. If fast-forwarding in B-spec is allowed, it should automatically come out of fast-forward at key moments to allow the player to make decisions.

No,they just need to make it like the real world wherein a 24 race the most driving you can do yourself is 14 hours but is usually closer to 8. The rest is done by Bob I and Bob II.

This option makes perfect sense, though I think at this point, GT Mode should be left as "old GT" and Arcade Mode should be replaced with something that lets players create their own game (Online Mode should be synced with this).

Perhaps in GT Mode, endurance lengths are fixed, but if you don't want to deal with them, go into free mode and recreate them exactly the same except they however long (48 minutes of LeMans, 48 hours of LeMans, 48 days of LeMans...)

oh i read this wrong and hit the yes button, but i think no since it just makes it too easy to win since most people will pick a super-fast car and finish the race in a couple laps.

EDIT: my 100th post :)

Voted No, don't want to/have time to do the 24 Hours of Le Mans? Don't do it. Simple, nobody's forcing you.

Voted no, becuase I think a 24 hour race should last 24 hours.

I also think that they should only be A-spec, and no bobs that can take over for you.

Voted no, becuase I think a 24 hour race should last 24 hours.

I also think that they should only be A-spec, and no bobs that can take over for you.

Why? Nobody drives a 24 race on their own in the real world, why should we in a game?

Why? Nobody drives a 24 race on their own in the real world, why should we in a game?
Note that in real-life, professional endurance race drivers race in the 24Hr races non-stop, while us, players, have the option to suspend the race in GT5, and that is a lot less tiring than the drivers IRL. ;)

I picked a 'No' in this poll, but I'd love to see the 'Suspend/resume race' option available in GT6.

GT HP Nut
Note that in real-life, professional endurance race drivers race in the 24Hr races non-stop, while us, players, have the option to suspend the race in GT5, and that is a lot less tiring than the drivers IRL. ;)

I picked a 'No' in this poll, but I'd love to see the 'Suspend/resume race' option available in GT6.

24hr races has rule, drive for a maximum of 4hrs! And 14hrs in total trough out the race! So no one driver alone. Even wen there wasn't rules, still used to have 2 drivers. Any LMS series does.

And with save and resume, if you do it over 2+ days, you could loose ur daily bonus at the end

What If I want a realistic racing experience without using the suspend option? My only option in GT5 is to do the 24 hours myself, it would be much better to allow me to take breaks and allow another driver do a few stints. The race still takes 24 real hours but I haven't had to drive for each and every one.

If they are going to offer an unrealistic suspend race option I don't see why you would then be apposed to the OPTION of letting a B-Spec driver help you out. I can't remember exactly how GT4 worked but I'm sure if you feel like it you could do it all yourself.

And with save and resume, if you do it over 2+ days, you could loose ur daily bonus at the end
Hahahaha, lose your daily bonus? :lol:

Really?

Im sorry, but I couldn't care less about the daily bonus. Actually I would be happy if they removed it.
In my opinion the daily bonus ruins the game experience, making it to easy to level up and get credits.

See this:
Note that in real-life, professional endurance race drivers race in the 24Hr races non-stop, while us, players, have the option to suspend the race in GT5, and that is a lot less tiring than the drivers IRL.

I think including B-Spec drivers like it was in GT4 worked perfectly, additionally (and I don't know if it's even possible) they could perhaps include an online co-op mode where you and 2 or 3 other players on your friends list take turns.
Not in realtime necessarily, but with the current option to suspend (and the possibility to share cars) and then hand it over to the next guy/gal who can do his/her stint when it suits him/her (and the option to continue it yourself if it takes too long or the other player doesn't show up so that you don't lose your progress).

Would be nice to share the experience since finding a few mates to do it with you for a real 24 hour race isn't an option for most people.
There's some added pressure not to screw it up and the game progress (and credit/XP) can be shared as well.

The hardcore set would disapprove of this. I actually imagine if you could choose race length for regular races, let alone endurances. I've typed online that one of the reasons why not a lot of people enjoy GT games fully is dealing with endurances. You need to find time to do endurances. If you can't find time, then you're not going to fully enjoy these races.

I'd really be okay with time-accelerated endurances. Take rFactor, for instance. You could do a 24-hour race in 24 minutes if you don't have loads of time to set up a proper endurance. Then again... who does have 24 hours to burn playing a racing game non-stop? Gran Turismo needs to offer some more options for novice gamers or not-very-good players to make things easier and more accessible. This could be a plus if implemented for GT6. So yeah. I'd be open to this.

If there's one thing I'd preach to racing gamers, play to a level you are most comfortable. Don't be under pressure to race at the hardest settings or under the hardest circumstances if you aren't comfortable enough to compete in such situations.

JohnBM01
The hardcore set would disapprove of this. I actually imagine if you could choose race length for regular races, let alone endurances. I've typed online that one of the reasons why not a lot of people enjoy GT games fully is dealing with endurances. You need to find time to do endurances. If you can't find time, then you're not going to fully enjoy these races.

I'd really be okay with time-accelerated endurances. Take rFactor, for instance. You could do a 24-hour race in 24 minutes if you don't have loads of time to set up a proper endurance. Then again... who does have 24 hours to burn playing a racing game non-stop? Gran Turismo needs to offer some more options for novice gamers or not-very-good players to make things easier and more accessible. This could be a plus if implemented for GT6. So yeah. I'd be open to this.

If there's one thing I'd preach to racing gamers, play to a level you are most comfortable. Don't be under pressure to race at the hardest settings or under the hardest circumstances if you aren't comfortable enough to compete in such situations.

WTF, most of the people on here ain't novices yet still think 24hrs is a bit much. Even Le man racers need rest, Lucas Ordonaz didn't drive it alone nor did Jordan Tresson. It's a team sport so why should we do it solo. Most of us like to complete a game but don't want it taking over our lives, jobs/girlfriends/sports they all need time too. Even the 9hr race is a push. I say anything more than 4 hrs should need 2-4 people (bobs preferably). Even the save option only improved things a little.

In all fairness I think choosing the length of regular races is going a little too far, since they're not very long anyway. Even when they are 10+ laps, who doesn't have the time to complete those? Very few people I imagine.

As for what you said about 'time-accelerated races' for some races in Endurance mode, that's pretty much what I was suggesting. I just phrased it a little differently. :)

As long as the prize inclines or declines with my choice I don't see why not. But I would say there has to be a bare minimal of what you can decrease it too and of course there has to be a maximum.

As much as I hate doing enduro races, I wouldn't want to see it shrink. A better way would be the option to make Bob drive when pitting, just like in GT4. With fast forwarding too of course.

As long as the prize inclines or declines with my choice I don't see why not. But I would say there has to be a bare minimal of what you can decrease it too and of course there has to be a maximum.
Of course; being able to reduce the length of an Endurance race to a number of minutes would be absurd. Personally I think the minimum should be around three hours, with the maximum being the real-time duration of the race.

I enjoy the challenge of playing a game like GT. If I could just shorten the endurance races why would I not also want to be able to buy cars for less cash, win races with less skills, etc.

I take great pride in having done all the endurance races in GT5 and look forward to the same in GT6.

If folk want to only race for 3 hours they can race those 3 hour races and leave the longer ones to the rest of us.

U700
I would not mind if ever race that lasts more than 2h would be scrapped...

Personally I think that's a bit lame. The 24hr races add a sense of achievement as well as exclusivity. Making it more accessible for people who couldn't be bothered seems pointless.

Personally I think that's a bit lame. The 24hr races add a sense of achievement as well as exclusivity. Making it more accessible for people who couldn't be bothered seems pointless.

I agree. People who dont like 24 hour races are probably unlikely to finish the game with 100% in the first place.

I agree. People who dont like 24 hour races are probably unlikely to finish the game with 100% in the first place.

well yeah...I havent and never will finish the game 100% + I dont want to keep my playstation on for 12 or more straight days (I dont have time to play for hours and hours every day). Its okay if you can save the game during the event and continue whenever you want to.

Back