How's the Clutch Emulation in GTS?

Singapore
Singapore
XSquareStickIt
Hey all, hope you're doing well.

Quick question as the title says. How well is the clutch pedal emulated in GTS? I hear in previous installments of the series the clutch emulation was horrible, almost like it was an afterthought, with the clutch either fully engaged or disengaged with no in-between. Does GTS have better clutch emulation for cars with manual gearboxes? Or is it still the same awful one in previous games? How realistic is the emulation, if it's been improved?

I'm thinking of buying a H shifter for my G29, because I miss driving a manual in real life, and I do want to learn to heel and toe, but I'm not sure if GTS can offer me what I'm looking for. Any help/ insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

IMO, no game will ever get this to feel right until shifters have built-in gear lockouts.

In GTS, if you don't shift to the games liking, you'll be physically in gear with the clutch out, yet be in Neutral in the game, which is completely unrealistic.

The gears should be locked in/out until you get the clutch where it needs to be, and that's 100% up to the hardware manufacturers.

IMO, no game will ever get this to feel right until shifters have built-in gear lockouts.

In GTS, if you don't shift to the games liking, you'll be physically in gear with the clutch out, yet be in Neutral in the game, which is completely unrealistic.

The gears should be locked in/out until you get the clutch where it needs to be, and that's 100% up to the hardware manufacturers.
At least make it as good as PCars or AC. I couldn't care less about the lockouts thingy things, just make the clutch work in the first place. I really want to enjoy my shifter but I just can't

The main reason why I want proper clutch emulation to begin with is because I miss driving a manual in real life, and have no realistic ways of ever owning a car in Singapore. I get that it's impossible to get the "feel" of everything right in a car sim game, especially when it comes to a manual gearbox because a lot of it I feel is reliant on the physical sensations, like vibrations, the car gives you.

Even within the scope of GTS, shifting with the paddles in a manual transmission car is just awkward, rough, and slower than in GT6 and if you had to physically clutch in, shift, clutch out, gas. Beyond driving a stock car with a manual shifter, there isn't much application to a stick shift in GTS, since a full custom trans just replaces the stock manual with what seems like a sequential shifter with straight cut gears anyway.

I just... feel nostalgic, is all.

I really wanted to enjoy the new Porsche GT3’s with my H-pattern, but the way the clutch and shift is working just makes me sad and saps enjoyment of the process :(

I have developed muscle memory for the clutch in AC, along with my crappy heel toe technique which is probably isn’t helping me with the digital nature of the pedal in GTS...

The clutch implementation is still on/off, but with a bit of practice, it works. You just have to make sure your gear goes in BEFORE you release the clutch. I can heel & toe on downshifts, with about 90% consistency.

I’ve got a TH8RS and T500RS pedals now, came from a G25 before, and I’m still enjoying it. I really don’t know why you guys can’t get it down with some practice for muscle memory. Is it the most realistic? No. Can it still be fun? Hell yeah! Practice practice practice. That’s all I’ve gotta say.

The 996 GT3 on Nürburgring with PSVR and a shifter is heaven!

I get that with enough practice, you could get used to the clutch in GTS, in the same way you could learn to drive fast in the early versions of the game with disgustingly bad tyre models and steering feedback. Except, I'm not going to shell out extra money for a playseat and a shifter just to bend over backwards for something that's disgustingly bad and inherently flawed.

I think that discussions like these are important to some extent, because if I were to buy a shifter for GTS, what would I be saying with my money? That the clutch emulation in the series is "good enough", and shouldn't require fixing on PD's part? I might be over extending a bit here, but personally I can't get behind the clutch emulation in GTS.

I get that this flawed emulation can still be fun when on ten tenths on a racetrack with a bona fide sports car like a 911. But driving is so much more than just ten tenths on a racetrack. Sometimes I just wanna chill and cruise at highway, sane speeds. Sometimes I wanna actually stop the car and start it again. Sometimes I wonder if my accidental over revving on downshifts will blow an engine. Sometimes I wonder if my insanely tall gearing makes starting from a standstill difficult. Unfortunately this all seems to be a bit out of the focus for PD now, but if by some miracle we get a GT7, I'm hoping the real driving simulator can be more realistic.

I'm not going to shell out extra money for a playseat and a shifter just to bend over backwards for something that's disgustingly bad and inherently flawed.

I’ve thought about it and I think I know why I’m more ok with the flawed clutch modelling than the majority of you who complain about it. Aside from racing sims, I’m big on fighting games like Street Fighter. In these games, the window for inputting commands to make combos possible is literally down to several frames, or hundredths of a second. I’m used to practicing a lot to nail down the muscle memory required to make combos connect. I spend hours in training mode to get this down, to drill it into into my fingers. I put in lots of effort, so I earn the consistency to do combos. So having to train my hands and feet to accommodate the tight tolerances for GT Sport is not a problem for me. I like shifting so much, I forced myself to learn to shift and heel & toe on both sides, right and left hand drive, switching my shifter accordingly, depending on the car, to be accurate and more immersive. I repeat the motions over and over and over till I get it, just like doing combos. I don’t mind working for the muscle memory consistency. Or “bend over backwards”, as you say. Some things take effort to reap rewards. And for me, the reward is immense pleasure in driving my virtual dream cars the way they were meant to be driven.

If you still want the joy of rowing your own gears in a game, you can try Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2. And I totally get what you mean about missing the joy of manuals in real life. I’m keeping a WRX manual as a track car, simply because manuals are a dying breed, although it makes absolutely no financial sense and I have a sensible auto daily driver. But I enjoy my wheel rig and shifter immensely, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought to indulge my car guy fantasies. I’ve even considered selling the WRX because I get my manual transmission fix from GT Sport nowadays

I just think that if you love the involvement of shifting, and you can’t have a manual car in real life, you shouldn’t deprive yourself of the enjoyment before you’ve tried it out, and at least put in some effort for what could bring you so much joy.

Last edited:
I do not disputed that it is possible to use the clutch and be consistent with it in GTS but having to press the pedal fully down just feels wrong and not at all inituative.

With practice I am getting more consistent, but having the clutch disengage higher up the pedal travel would be more than welcome, and make the third pedal nicer to use.

I would also like some sort of audio cue to tell me the shift has been fluffed rather than just finding the car in neutral without forward drive.

Note: I am currently playing without a HUD, just trying to have some fun driving the cars.

I would have thought, if accuracy of the clutch feel mattered, accuracy of the tire model would as well, or accuracy of response to curbs, or accuracy of collision physics, or accuracy of track modeling etc., etc..

And you wouldn't be playing GTS at all...

In iRacing , they also have this clutch bite problem, to solve the problem, calibrate just using 50% pedal travel.

Im using fanatec V3 for pedal and the heavier spring & long travel does help.

In iRacing , they also have this clutch bite problem, to solve the problem, calibrate just using 50% pedal travel.

Im using fanatec V3 for pedal and the heavier spring & long travel does help.

I use Thrustmaster pedals, There is no possibility for calibration of pedals in GTS, and anything done on a PC does not carry over to the PS4....

Just stop having the in-game car drop into neutral every time you do a 'bad' shift would be a damn good start. The virtual gearbox must always be in sync with the physical, regardless of what happens.

(...) I just think that if you love the involvement of shifting, and you can’t have a manual car in real life, you shouldn’t deprive yourself of the enjoyment before you’ve tried it out, and at least put in some effort for what could bring you so much joy.

A- are you looking down on me? I'll have you know...! I beat Devil May c-Cry 3!!! I have skills! Mad them!

But, see, it's when I was coming up with that joke that I realised how to best contextualise my response. I feel that driving shouldn't be compared to fighting or action games, even if both require a lot of consistency, quick reactions, familiarity, and skill. In real life, I highly doubt that any driver would want to put their life in the hands of a car as demanding as an action game, and personally I wouldn't even want to get close to someone driving a car as demanding and finicky as that. While it's true that the fastest set up for a car round a track more often than not tends to be the most unforgivingly precise and demanding, I feel that consistency, ease of access and earning the trust of a driver, is what makes the fastest combination of car and driver. And that I feel goes beyond suspension and LSD settings, and into all aspects of a car, including how it shifts.

In short, I don't think I could put in that crazy amount of concentration demanded of me by an action game for extended periods of time into driving, nor would I want to, given the stakes. I feel that that just doesn't make for a good car in my opinion, and by extension a good driving experience.

But, you know what, you're absolutely right about one thing; that I love the involvement of shifting, and that I shouldn't deprive myself of the enjoyment. Thanks for all the thoughtful insight, you've been a big eye opener for me :)

Curious, can higher end pedal sets properly simulate the changing weight, feel of the clutch as you engage and disengage gears? That would be too quality stuff

You can emulate the clutch by lifting off the gas when shifting. In some cars that normally shift slow, this will make them shift a little faster, saving a few tenths over the course of a lap.

And this is why I'm slower on the G29. I have the shifter so every car I drive like my real manual car... I lift off the throttle and of course the more you rush the toy $39.95 shifter, the slower you are.

I might have to troll YT for some shifter mods etc.

I thought the clutch would just disengage as soon as you press down on the pedal.

In real life? Nope. It moves further away from the engine the further you step on the clutch pedal, in some older cars that uses cables instead of hydraulic engaging, it moves the clutch even further than its needed to change gears which generates wear and tear to the cables.

It's also possible to "half engage" the clutch to move the car from a standstill while keeping the revs high by only pushing half of the travel on pedal.

Last edited:
15386718374922646683136358857883.jpg
easier this way, the aluminium gated was removed

Back