HTC Vive Pro & HTC Vive Virtual Reality Headset Thread

Is the cost for the device too prohibitive for consumers?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Australia
Australia
Soulfresh-ACV

Specifications

• Screen Dual AMOLED 3.5" diagonal
  • Resolution 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined)
  • Refresh rate 90 Hz
  • Field of view 110 degrees
  • Audio Hi-Res certificate headset, Hi-Res certificate headphone (removable) High impedance, headphone support
  • Input Integrated microphones
  • Connections USB-C 3.0, DP 1.2, Bluetooth
  • Sensors SteamVR Tracking, G-sensor, gyroscope, proximity, IPD sensor
  • Price USD$799 (Check)

Specifications

• Connectivity 1xHDMI 1.3, 2xUSB 3.0
  • Screen Specs OLED, 2160x1200 @90Hz
  • Field Of View 110 degrees
  • Release Date April 2016
  • Price USD$499 (Check)

Feel free to discuss and share anything related to HTC Vive.

Last edited:
I didn't even know this was out there and aren't they ahead of the rift, at least as far as a release date?
Yup, just recently got announced. Any new player enters the market tells me the industry is serious on pursuing this new technology. It's a bit over the place from the articles I had read but sounds promising so far.

Product competitions are consumers best friend. Helps keep prices down while drive innovations up.

Last edited:
Yup, just recently got announced. Any new player enters the market tells me the industry is serious on pursuing this new technology. It's a bit over the place from the articles I had read but sounds promising so far.

Product competitions are consumers best friend. Helps keep prices down while drive innovations ups.
Yes, but if the first one to market isn't very good it is going to make it tuff on the rest no matter how much better they are.

Yes, but if the first one to market isn't very good it is going to make it tuff on the rest no matter how much better they are.
Not really from my perspective just as long as it's not Oculus Rift because the market perception is OC is the "Apple Smartphone" equivalent in the VR world. Besides, regardless of whose product comes out first, this will take a bit of time for mass market adoption. Most gamers as consumers and professionals when it comes to other uses/applications which only makes this a bit better position than when the iPad first came out as most people only see the new device as a bigger iPhone without phone function if that makes sense. And it took a long time before becoming a gaming device which drove a bit more demand.

HTC Vive Priced at $799, Coming in April

Time for most of us to sit back and wait for reviews from those who can afford the required PC specs and the device itself. This line in the article summed it up for me perfectly:
"For anyone looking to dip their toes into the VR pool will probably back down after seeing this"

Is 2016 too early for consumer VR tech after all with the cost of the device plus associated costs on required PC hardware upgrade?

Last edited:
Well, it'll always be too early because demand will be the leading force driving the price down, if they don't sell any then there's not really any good way to get the manufacturing cost down besides shedding features and compromising performance. The first run of any technology is always going to be expensive, but in this case there's the added complication that no one knows how much these things should cost!

Yeah. Once you factor in the Touch controllers, which we can safely assume won't be cheap, price is pretty much a wash with the Rift. I'm definitely on board with the Vive, but probably won't pre-order. At least if you have to give the entire amount up front. Let's see HTC actually ship these. And assuming there are no deal breakers in the first group, I'll order mine then. I'd like to think that since HTC has shifted focus to VR, and they own large production capabilities, we won't be looking at a small manufacturing capacity.

Actually, I'll probably wait till the new GPUs launch (assuming they're not going to be Q4). Can't justify a GPU upgrade on the old node process and my current card won't cut it with consumer VR.

Yeah. Once you factor in the Touch controllers, which we can safely assume won't be cheap, price is pretty much a wash with the Rift. I'm definitely on board with the Vive, but probably won't pre-order. At least if you have to give the entire amount up front. Let's see HTC actually ship these. And assuming there are no deal breakers in the first group, I'll order mine then. I'd like to think that since HTC has shifted focus to VR, and they own large production capabilities, we won't be looking at a small manufacturing capacity.

Actually, I'll probably wait till the new GPUs launch (assuming they're not going to be Q4). Can't justify a GPU upgrade on the old node process and my current card won't cut it with consumer VR.

Please remember to comeback and share your experience. I'm extremely keen to know especially what the experience will be like with Vive on racing titles such as AC/Raceroom/PCARS etc. Don't think anyone tested the Dev version of Vive on any racing titles. And God knows how long these games will implement drivers such a niche device (in comparison to OR)

In regards to GPU, and excuse the ignorance without knowing much on tech stuff, I think in a perfect world, both the OR/Vive should include that extra processing unit (like Playstation VR) which will ensure 50% gaming PC specs meet the bare minimum requirements for adequate experience.

Understand the whole argument as well with regards to Sony's ability to cover the loses via games etc. to push price down, however, it's much more marketable/sellable when things are in a package that's ready out of the box to maximise adoption.

If I were to go down either OR/Vive VR, I have to spend at least another USD$300 to upgrade my motherboard so that I an get a CPU that meets the minimum spec. I have a GTX970 which is just good enough, but for most other people, they'll probably need to spend another USD$250+. which is out of reach for most of us.

Unfortunately with those prices I don't think this tech is going very far again. Its just too much money for an unproven (to most) tech. Without the sales of the units the developers will slowly drop support as well. Its sad as the tech SEEMS to be here, but the price will kill it off again.

Unfortunately with those prices I don't think this tech is going very far again. Its just too much money for an unproven (to most) tech. Without the sales of the units the developers will slowly drop support as well. Its sad as the tech SEEMS to be here, but the price will kill it off again.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe another 20 years before we can all turn ourselves into the lawnmower man :lol:

I guess most people can enjoy subpar VR experience via Samsung VR or Google VR thingy. Maybe we sim racers/gamers are bit too selfish and poor.

Like motion rigs, I'm sure a few can afford it and I'll be happy to read their experience once they get their hands on Vive.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see which becomes the most popular and adopted option.

Could developers be swayed to one camp or the other? Is the VR situation just like monitors as a display device or like graphic cards with each having varying demands or performance related factors on the users PC?

No doubt the hardware tech guys will be on such comparisons and give more details for the retail versions and with various games.

The prices are indeed a bit steep.. But compare pretty favorably with something like a decent triple 3D monitor setup (not to mention the extra graphics power you'd need to run 3x 1920x1080p 3D monitors). I'm really on the fence, I do love the VR experiences I've tried, but it's all still a bit of a hassle compared to monitors.

These prices, for this technology is peanuts. I've bought HMDs, that were utter garbage, for almost double this price and more. The technology packed into these is insane. We're getting a bargain.

Now that being said, of course its prohibitive for the average consumer, no two ways about it. I don't think these could be released at a much lower price point. Its chicken and egg.

High price assures the best equipment leading to experiences that will make people love VR. But high prices keeps it out of the hands of most.

Low prices guarantee more people will have it, but since the tech has been compromised to get it to more people, the experience suffers and people complain that VR sucks.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'd rather have a high price for better experience. I've already tried crappy VR products for the last 20 years.

I take back what I said, £700 is way too much... For me, anyway. If you're the kind of person who doesn't even have to think about buying a pair of 980Tis then sure, but the Vive is £750 with shipping - my entire PC cost that much, and I use it for all games while a VR HMD won't be suitable or even compatible with everything I might want to use it for.

Maybe in a few years when the Nvidia 1260 is VR-capable and I can pick up a used 1st gen Vive for £150!

These prices, for this technology is peanuts. I've bought HMDs, that were utter garbage, for almost double this price and more. The technology packed into these is insane. We're getting a bargain.
Absolutely. I realise that for some it's genuinely cost prohibitive, but for whole lot of other people it's a question of priorities. A few weekends without spending the usual 100 or more dollars on booze will buy someone a shiny new VR headset.

Let's also think back to how expensive the terrible early iterations of flat panel tvs were. These VR units might actually be quite mature in comparison, but are certainly affordable compared to those abominations........ that people bought in droves.

Absolutely. I realise that for some it's genuinely cost prohibitive, but for whole lot of other people it's a question of priorities. A few weekends without spending the usual 100 or more dollars on booze will buy someone a shiny new VR headset.

Let's also think back to how expensive the terrible early iterations of flat panel tvs were. These VR units might actually be quite mature in comparison, but are certainly affordable compared to those abominations........ that people bought in droves.

It's cost/usage ratio that makes it unaffordable for most of us. Unlike LCD TVs or early days of smart phones, VR will be of limited usage, limited time spend on a new toy. Most of us primarily will use it for sim racing plus a few games maximum few hours a week.

I won't even think twice if my TV breaks down and I need to spend $1000+ on a new one because I know it's the most used household entertainment appliance in the house.

Regardless, spending less on booze is always a good thing. :cheers: :lol:

Last edited:
I think its pretty ridiculous to announce a "killer" seeing as the other offerings aren't even released yet. This is irresponsible reporting on his part. I can understand his excitement, I was a reviewer for a national magazine back in the 90s and I received literally thousands of dollars of free tech equipment. I would gush poetic about the equipment, especially since it was free.

I think he should have given his opinions based on his demo of that device only and not another device which isn't even released. Comparing a finished product to the DK2 is just stupid.

Live for Speed will support HTS Vive

VIVE.png

Link

A bit off topic but I got to spend 10 minutes or so with the Samsung Gear VR that launched with the Galaxy S7. Its powered by Oculus. All I can say is WOW! Never expected it to be that good. I can only imagine how great vr is going to be on the pc and ps4. Hoping it does not cost more than the console

A bit off topic but I got to spend 10 minutes or so with the Samsung Gear VR that launched with the Galaxy S7. Its powered by Oculus. All I can say is WOW! Never expected it to be that good. I can only imagine how great vr is going to be on the pc and ps4. Hoping it does not cost more than the console
Various media outlets had reported that it will at least cost as much as the console. Like I posted in HTC Vive Virtual Reality Headset/Sony Playstation VR (Project Morpheus) Virtual Reality Headset thread, VR success on PC/PS4 relies heavily on adoption. Without repeating myself, the only advantage with PS4 even in that price range is that the PS4 is VR ready whereas most PCs aren't. No more extras to pay like PCs with upgrades.

If us consumers gets what we want, it will be fantastic if PS VR is supported in PC. The only way to quickly drive down hardware prices is by increasing the amount production volume. Without substantial VR adoption, application/games will be limited. Do not want it to be like another Playstation Move.

Last edited:
Back