HTC Vive Pro & HTC Vive Virtual Reality Headset Thread

Is the cost for the device too prohibitive for consumers?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
I made a typo I meant that they suggested Vive was more comfortable with glasses but less comfortable without.

For me I have better experience with scuba gear then ski masks so I am not sure that analogue work as intended. But weight differences do generally make themself told after some hours on. Particularly if you are constantly moving the head around. My Sony CD 3K has gone to a service I now use Audeze LCD-2s and the 300g weight difference or what it´s is really noticable in the long runs. And these headphones have the weight on top of your head not front or back.

I totally agree with the excellent Tested review, really great job, but I think a lot of people expect the Touch controllers to bring a kind of "room scale" experience. It will not. While the
Touch controllers are really more ergonomic, have more buttons, the fact that you will not have two trackers that are able to cover 360 degrees around you, no way they will be able to match the liberty provided by the Valve laser tracking system. There will be very nice standing experiences, but as soon as your body will occlude you controllers from the cameras then you will lose the tracking.

I wish a Rift with the comfort of the Vive, the camera, the SteamVR software, the laser based tracking system with the balance of the rift headset and the ergonomic of the Touch controllers.

I really hope some new form factor controllers for the Vive (Magnus gloves will use the Vive tracking system).

I admit that as a developer, the fact that the Valve tracking system allows each device to compute itself very easily and efficiently its position (you can have as many devices that you want working with the two laser emitters) feels more elegant and almost CPU free while doing some pattern matching with a lot of infrared tracked dots may add a substantial cpu cost.

Now the harder part is to wait for receiving my own Vive, then to wait for the GeForce 1080 availability:P

:)

With the second camera the rift will be able to do full 360 degree roomscale experience , but it's not officially supported by oculus. Oculus focus is on the standing experience.

If you want to use roomscale you will have to use steam VR. The Vive cable is longer and light house has the ability to track a larger roomscale space., but the oculus will be able to do a roomscale area which will be bigger than the space most people will have available.

The Vive actually uses up to five times more recources than the Oculus Rift:

@K_Soze : As a developer this article might intrest you
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/12/11414090/oculus-rift-htc-vive-fantastic-contraption

The main question for me still is : Will the resolution be enough in both headsets for simracing.

In simracing you need to focus in the far distance. I see a lot mixed reports from users. One will say it's fine, while others find it's way too low.

The only way to know this for sure is to try it my self.

Last edited:
No the resolution is still a little bit too low for sim racing because when driving you focus on the apex and it is too far to have detail.

But it is still very immersive and allow a better driving.

For the second camera, I don't see how the second one would nail the tracking because the camera cable is maybe 2.5 m long so I don't think you will be able to have a big area between two cameras.

Last edited:
You really have to try it to decide whether the CV1 or Vive is suitable for sim racing for you.

Personally I use a DK2 for iRacing and think it's awesome, no problem at all. So, I'm really looking forward to receiving my CV1 eventually...

Lol, I have watched a lot of reviews lately about both products and I was hoping that these reviews could help me to make the right decision, but now I really have more confusion in my head and I have no idea which I will make mine, the OR or the Vive!
I would use it only for simracing though .

No the resolution is still a little bit too low for sim racing because when driving you focus on the apex and it is too far to have detail.

But it is still very immersive and allow a better driving.

For the second camera, I don't see how the second one would nail the tracking because the camera cable is maybe 2.5 m long so I don't think you will be able to have a big area between two cameras.

Yeah that is one of the reason I think the CV1 is slightly better then the Vive for simracing. Less magnificed picture would make it easier to maintain sharpness and less SDE. This is also what most reviews suggest. Just to bad they mention that glare effect which is worse on the Rift. Sounds like it´s worse in dark scenes so night racing might be hell?

Longer cables allows for more freedom so yes if I would go all in on roomscale I would go Vive. I do fear the only big companies that might be interested to invest heavilly in roomscale gaming might be Valve or HTC... I have my fear about software support really making use of it. To be frank the number of consumers being able to dedicate a room for it and shelling out 700$ on a headset is more limiting then just shelling out 700$ on an headset it´s a tough sell to pump in 50 million dollars into a triple A title. Where the cockpit simulations might not be as impressive but at least you know you have something you can spend a thousand hours upon.

Roomscale may hit hard when we get wireless headsets and laptops you can wear in a backpack powerful enough and you can rent a sport hall to run around in pre setup with 20 roomscale sensors. Great if you want to play golf off season with your friends ;).

I just try to give you feedback because I can use both headset to compare. The Oculus seems to be the better choice for sim racing (not because of better image quality, both are almost the same, brighter on the Vive but maybe a little little less screen door effect on the Rift but because simulations will first support what is expected to be the top seller).

Vive can do everything the Rift is doing, and a lot more with LightRoom. But I am not sure the ISI or Kunos will support the Vive :S

So looks like my early April Vive order is going to be coming some time next week, just got the pre processing email early this morning. I luckily jumped on the Vive bandwagon when all the early credit card cancellations were happening and it looks like I along with a few others have been bumped up the queue some how. I find it completely bizarre that my day 1 rift preorder looks likely to turn up two and a half months after my early April Vive order!

I like his videos but that guy is so annoying to listen to.:lol:

So what do you guys think about the oculus rift vs htc vive with motion systems?

For a motion rig the only valid headset is the Rift (I think). You won't be able to attach the Vive infrared laser sensor to a moving rig because I think the sensor will detect that the sensor is unstable. Attaching a Rift camera sensor should not be a problem.

Well my CC is showing a pending transaction for the correct amount so looks like it's happening soon! In other news Kunos have posted a pic of a development Vive they have just taken delivery of so looks like they are going to start working on Vive support.

Well my CC is showing a pending transaction for the correct amount so looks like it's happening soon! In other news Kunos have posted a pic of a development Vive they have just taken delivery of so looks like they are going to start working on Vive support.

Where ? When ? :)

It´s appreciated. Roomscale in the end it will be about the same there as well I recon.
I like his videos but that guy is so annoying to listen to.:lol:

So what do you guys think about the oculus rift vs htc vive with motion systems?

Na he is fine to listen to :). I look forward to get good 3D again. LCD can´t do it to much crosstalk. Fond memories of GT Legends on CRT driving that british boat healy against a 906 which was low like a panncake was great humour. Never really get any real sense of scale with 2D monitors.

To do proper 3D you need 3D monitors and head tracking. Without head tracking, you will have the depth perception but it is only one of the mechanisms used by the brain to understand our 3D world. We always move and tilt our head to change our point of view in order to improve the precision of what we see. So without head tracking, both eyes see two images that give us a part of the depth, but we are missing the ability to change our point of view (this is what makes VR really magic).

I am sure triple monitors are really more comfortable and give a better image quality (no lenses so far objects will keep enough pixels) but for immersion and to instantaneously understand the behavior of the car body, VR is a gigantic step better.

I am waiting for a Vive but I have to build a new PC too so I am waiting for the new nVidia pascal gpus... Waiting waiting waiting ;)

The second point of that article is quite interesting. Some VR experiences are similar to traveling, and traveling makes one have more care about the world as a whole.

About which is better for racing, that depends on the game list. We'll have to wait for maybe a month to see if Assetto Corsa and other titles support or are planning to support which VR device.

Back