Husky's Yard - Subaru Transmitted Infection

• Thread starter Aquarelle
  • 326 comments
So I've been having fun

10543656_929768357038944_1184534696729685164_n.jpg

Top Secret bumper after mine had a minor altercation with a mound of dirt after I ran out of brakes :lol:

Which also resulted in this little mishap

10574476_929841220364991_5692094744443841250_n.jpg

So I've replaced the lower arm and discovered the replacement castor arm kindly donated by my new flatmate didn't fit - I've also discovered a badly leaking Steering Rack - so I may as well leave her up on jackstands for a while and replace the entire unit.

Since she's going to be parked I'm taking the opportunity to start matching up the paint - due to being winter I have no desire to paint the entire car - so I'll be getting a few cans of matched paint and painting the mismatched panels gunmetal.

Now I know what you're thinking; "Husky, you've changed your mind about the colour 4 times this year alone quit it" yes I know, however I'm unable to access a booth at this time so it's not really ideal to be spraying the entire car - I'd rather wait and do it properly but I'll die before I roll around with a gelcoat aftermarket bumper.

So for the last time I ripped the GTR wing off

10383126_931789023503544_3139968140839770011_n.jpg

and prepped it for paint

10599239_931788983503548_1879585379272886048_n.jpg

Next is side skirts then I'm going to bomb the bumper with filler primer and bodge up some indicators and put a hell of a lot of mesh behind it so nobody can look in and laugh at my lack of intercooler :lol:

Finished up painting, also did little details like painting the rear "Skyline" light bar - so my flatmate who bought the Z and I decided to go out to my favourite little spot to relax and take some photos, including a few rolling shots!

tumblr_nbnu4578DF1so153lo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nboqvc4N9S1so153lo2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbundckHJv1so153lo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbunraNUBi1so153lo1_1280.jpg

Paint is still yet to be cut so naturally it looks quite off in certain lights.

Also had my mate come over with his 300ZX Twin Turbo

tumblr_nbrm3uVsJi1so153lo1_1280.jpg

Must be hard being our neighbours, this is what they have to put up with!

Anyhow, being winter not much is happening - just chilling playing Forza and stuff as I put money aside for the DET 👍 changed the oil to a different weight and viscosity as well to hopefully extend the life of this motor but we'll see.

Last edited:
Looking good with all the exterior mods. Needs more low now. What's planned for suspension?

Tein fully adjustable street units, but my current R34 GT-T set up is fine for now, lowering the car is only going to make it more impractical so I'm in no rush.

Tein fully adjustable street units, but my current R34 GT-T set up is fine for now, lowering the car is only going to make it more impractical so I'm in no rush.
Same reason I went back to stock ride height on the MR2. It was just too low to go anywhere without hitting things all the time.

Same reason I went back to stock ride height on the MR2. It was just too low to go anywhere without hitting things all the time.

Yeah I mean that's just it, like my ride height does bother me a bit - of course it does or I wouldn't bother considering lowering it - but the fact is that it seems to bother everybody else a hell of a lot more and they're not the ones that have to live with it. Im in no real rush and my money could be better spelt elsewhere as the R34 kit is very firm and well balance while also sitting lower then the factory kit.

Yeah I mean that's just it, like my ride height does bother me a bit - of course it does or I wouldn't bother considering lowering it - but the fact is that it seems to bother everybody else a hell of a lot more and they're not the ones that have to live with it. Im in no real rush and my money could be better spelt elsewhere as the R34 kit is very firm and well balance while also sitting lower then the factory kit.
Lowering a car to make it look better doesn't always make it handle better. Clearly your R34 setup is working well so why go low except for looks. I'd like to go low again but 35mm was too much. I was also getting terrible bump steer so it was worse than stock. Dropping 25mm with some Eibach springs will be better. It should look better too as the stock setup with small looking 15" wheels make it look like a 4WD.

I look forward to seeing the progress with this car. Always interesting to follow.

It's been one hell of a long time, new country - new love and heartbreak, a lot of rubbish cars and one super sick motorcycle I've come back to my roots of driving around in loud, obnoxious sports cars!

So, here she is - my new addiction

20526158_1818910591458045_3788957275054378066_n.jpg

20638433_1823272554355182_5026257284903673433_n.jpg

20637922_1823275404354897_8877901393307390678_n.jpg

Basic run down, 2004 Impreza WRX with a V7 STI transplant and a VF34 Turbo running 180KW at the wheels

Still has the 5sp Manual so I won't be chasing any more power until I replace the box and differential(s)

Last edited:
Not really sure if it matters, but if you're going to hide the plates it might be a good idea to do both ends lol.

Good to see you back though.

Nah doesn't matter terribly, the first one is used elsewhere though so that's why it's covered

Thanks man! I'm the new and improved husky with slightly less attitude but 100 percent more sarcasm 👍

Which dam is that in the first photo? You around SouthEast QLD? Got a mate who is also a member on this forum with the same model WRX but factory STi model.

Blob eyes are my favourite. 👍 What mods do you have planned?

I had a bugeye for a brief period of time but it had been mangled in an accident and the repair was dodgy at best - it was a family friend who owned it and I was going to buy it.. but after driving it around for a week I just didn't feel safe in it - anyhow yeah the bugeye tore me away from my Nissan bias but I wanted to save and get the model I actually wanted - a blobeye <3

Then this happened..

14449736_1454595954556179_8718632785004516132_n.jpg

Now that I've got that out of my system the current plan is STI gearbox, been quoted 2.6 thousand for a used box with both front and rear diff, driveshafts etc. After that's done I can fit uprated brakes, suspension and rims/tyres so that I can wind in more power (Not that she needs it honestly, but I'd like to dyno-tune the aftermarket ECU to improve the response and powerband. Previous owner de-tuned the engine to not blow the box apparently)

I'm pretty lucky with this particular example as most of the mods have been done already but I'll probably continue the theme of fitting STI parts by completing the look with the front bumper pieces as well as some lips for the front and sides along with a rear splitter.

Which dam is that in the first photo? You around SouthEast QLD? Got a mate who is also a member on this forum with the same model WRX but factory STi model.

Yeah I'm Brisbane based now, this is north of somerset dam, place called Lake Wivenhoe.

Now that I've got that out of my system the current plan is STI gearbox, been quoted 2.6 thousand for a used box with both front and rear diff, driveshafts etc. After that's done I can fit uprated brakes, suspension and rims/tyres so that I can wind in more power (Not that she needs it honestly, but I'd like to dyno-tune the aftermarket ECU to improve the response and powerband. Previous owner de-tuned the engine to not blow the box apparently)

I'm pretty lucky with this particular example as most of the mods have been done already but I'll probably continue the theme of fitting STI parts by completing the look with the front bumper pieces as well as some lips for the front and sides along with a rear splitter.

Yeah I'm Brisbane based now, this is north of somerset dam, place called Lake Wivenhoe.

I don't want to sound critical, but is this actually cheaper than buying an STi? Otherwise, an old work colleague with a 2012 WRX was telling me it's almost cheaper to buy a 6spd Liberty and use the gearbox out of that than buy an STi gearbox. $2600 sounds alright though.
I thought it looked like the Somerset/Wivenhoe region ;), maybe some time we should go to a Downshift circuit and coffee if you're in to that kind of thing.

I don't want to sound critical, but is this actually cheaper than buying an STi? Otherwise, an old work colleague with a 2012 WRX was telling me it's almost cheaper to buy a 6spd Liberty and use the gearbox out of that than buy an STi gearbox. $2600 sounds alright though.
I thought it looked like the Somerset/Wivenhoe region ;), maybe some time we should go to a Downshift circuit and coffee if you're in to that kind of thing.

Because I bought this WRX with the V7 STI motor already installed, as well as a replacement 5sp being 1200 odd dollars (and the box I have showing signs of being worn out by the increased power) the cost is negligible - as for cosmetics the STI body pieces I need brand new from Subaru America only totaled 430 dollars.

The only other item to consider is the brakes - If I had a genuine STI, I would be upgrading the brakes anyway so I don't make any saving there other than increased resale value of the outgoing units.

I won't disclose the amount I paid for this example, but it was on the lower end of standard blobeye WRX's leave alone a genuine STI :cheers:

I'd be keen to hang out man, I've never been to Circuit and Coffee just because "Happy Laps" sounds a bit restrictive - though in saying that I'll be very, very gingerly shifting because of the horror stories I've had drilled into my head about the notorious glass 5 speed so I suppose that works in my favour!

Last edited:
The V7 engine is by many accounts a wonderful engine, and I can certainly see someone choosing a WRX with an EJ207 swap over a factory STI. Keep us posted on your build!

Because I bought this WRX with the V7 STI motor already installed, as well as a replacement 5sp being 1200 odd dollars (and the box I have showing signs of being worn out by the increased power) the cost is negligible - as for cosmetics the STI body pieces I need brand new from Subaru America only totaled 430 dollars.

The only other item to consider is the brakes - If I had a genuine STI, I would be upgrading the brakes anyway so I don't make any saving there other than increased resale value of the outgoing units.

I won't disclose the amount I paid for this example, but it was on the lower end of standard blobeye WRX's leave alone a genuine STI :cheers:

I'd be keen to hang out man, I've never been to Circuit and Coffee just because "Happy Laps" sounds a bit restrictive - though in saying that I'll be very, very gingerly shifting because of the horror stories I've had drilled into my head about the notorious glass 5 speed so I suppose that works in my favour!

Ah well that's all sweet then.:) I know with many other cars, Commodores and Falcons in particular, it's usually just cheaper to buy the turbo or V8 model rather than convert the basic models.
Happy Laps are indeed very restrictive, there's no fast cornering to be had, it's just roll racing down the straights. It's almost more of a social outing than anything, with fast cars involved.;)

Love it! Best generation of the Impreza if you ask me. You'd pay a premium for a genuine STI when you could just get similar performance in a WRX and building it up on your own. Plus, it's more fun to work on cars, right? I had an '04 STI and I didn't end up doing a whole lot with it since it was plenty good out of the box.

The V7 engine is by many accounts a wonderful engine, and I can certainly see someone choosing a WRX with an EJ207 swap over a factory STI. Keep us posted on your build!

Definitely agreed - especially with solid lifters and equal length headers it absolutely sings up to the red line and just wants to keep going - shame the tune makes the boost pickup a little peaky for my taste

Ah well that's all sweet then.:) I know with many other cars, Commodores and Falcons in particular, it's usually just cheaper to buy the turbo or V8 model rather than convert the basic models.
Happy Laps are indeed very restrictive, there's no fast cornering to be had, it's just roll racing down the straights. It's almost more of a social outing than anything, with fast cars involved.;)

Absolutely, I learned this with my R33... :lol: talked a lot about doing all these conversions but it never happened because of a lack of funds - plus a pretty rough shell to begin with it just wasn't worth the time - but I was young and dumb so what can you do; I still had a hell of a lot of fun!

That still sounds iike a riot though, better than losing your license on the street! Hit me up in a pm so we can organise something :)

Love it! Best generation of the Impreza if you ask me. You'd pay a premium for a genuine STI when you could just get similar performance in a WRX and building it up on your own. Plus, it's more fun to work on cars, right? I had an '04 STI and I didn't end up doing a whole lot with it since it was plenty good out of the box.

100% agree, I did heavily debate a GC8 for the lighter weight etc.. but the blobeyes look better in my opinion, not to mention a more modern interior and ride comfort which given the size of Australia and the sheer amount of miles I do in a year that's pretty important to me!

The cheapest STi in good condition was 16 grand or so, awful lot of money just to be able to say on the ad "Genuine STi" if I ever sold it..

Last edited:
Small update, since purchasing the car (Outlined by the previous owner also) there is a grinding noise while on boost, amplified by steering inputs.

So tonight I performed a full mechanical inspection, something I would have loved to have done before purchasing but hey when the price is right!
In doing this I discovered some grinding marks on the downpipe which I've narrowed down to either the oversized downpipe being exactly that, oversized - or a failed engine mount is letting the motor lean too heavily to one side causing the steering joint to foul

21272178_1853738021308635_158273213495502599_n.jpg

I've also restored the headlights and have some detail equipment being delivered to restore the paint as best I can until I respray the whole car.

21272645_1853725317976572_8357148735031790211_n.jpg

Overall I'm still really enjoying my first Subaru experience, I'm going to check out some rims this week, Koya Racing 18s - if I do end up buying them I've got a set of RE003's already lined up through a friend who works at Bridgestone

Fresh fluids, fresh looks - All that remains is to kill the heinous amount of lag with a good tune and we're all set!

So a couple updates;

I've gotten rid of the brand new but simplistic headunit in favour of a modern touch screen pioneer unit as well as change out the cluster lights to get rid of the festy 80s green ones Subaru decided to install

21912887_1869689709713466_335151412_n.jpg

I've bought a replacement hood and STI scoop to replace my chipped WRX scoop and my heavily oxidised factory hood

22068746_1875815692434201_300974103_o.jpg

And finally I've bought and fitted a 450LPH Walbro fuel pump as the factory WRX unit just wasn't up for the task of the higher output of the 207

22119698_1877828322232938_390213783_o.jpg

Bye bye old junk

So a couple updates;

I've gotten rid of the brand new but simplistic headunit in favour of a modern touch screen pioneer unit as well as change out the cluster lights to get rid of the festy 80s green ones Subaru decided to install

21912887_1869689709713466_335151412_n.jpg

I've bought a replacement hood and STI scoop to replace my chipped WRX scoop and my heavily oxidised factory hood

22068746_1875815692434201_300974103_o.jpg

And finally I've bought and fitted a 450LPH Walbro fuel pump as the factory WRX unit just wasn't up for the task of the higher output of the 207

22119698_1877828322232938_390213783_o.jpg

Bye bye old junk

Which Pioneer unit is that, and how hard was it to install? I've been looking at getting a touch screen unit with apps myself.

Which Pioneer unit is that, and how hard was it to install? I've been looking at getting a touch screen unit with apps myself.

It's a Pioneer AVH-X8750BT - has full Apple Carplay/Android whatever it's called compatibility which is awesome for being able to send text messages, make phone calls, change music and use navigation without risking the 380 odd dollar fine and 3 demerit points you get in Australia for using your phone.

Installation was a doddle, leave alone how simple the Subaru interior is to take apart (Unlike my god damn 2004 Ford Fiesta...) the wiring is straight forward colour matching.
You can either use the supplied wiring harness to wire into the factory wiring or purchase an adapter to suit your car (if they exist).
Hardest part was routing the bluetooth microphone; but using electrical tape to secure the wire to a screwdriver it's much easier than wrestling to try push the cable through small spots by hand.

Pretty good value at 630 dollars delivered - there are cheaper touch screen units on the market, but you get what you pay for either through vague touch input, laggy navigation, smaller screens or plain ol' absent features.

Besides, if I avoid 2 potential tickets by using this unit rather than my phone while behind the wheel it's already paid for itself!

In other news, I've fitted some gauges and fitted a factory recirc valve to get rid of the HKS super sequential, no more flutter but I'm getting better response - leads me to believe it was leaking as those valves are notorious for

22228309_1883942234954880_769916221463446009_n.jpg

1.4 bar.. this tune is nuts!

Last edited:
Just been doing knick knacks as I'm off to America next week, so I bought a GFB Deceptor Pro II blow off valve, installed 35% tint and painted the center console black because that silver looks atrocious

23758371_1933363710012732_1274463183_n.png

23226846_1916424951706608_1225521071_n.jpg

23146381_1913746791974424_845395289_n.jpg

I'm moving to Melbourne once I return from America, then the real stuff starts beginning with MCA coilovers

I'm moving to Melbourne once I return from America, then the real stuff starts beginning with making it a ute

Do it :cool::cool:

Love the de-ricing the stock silver center console. This was about as cool as it got when these cars were new, has aged about as well as 2 Fast 2 Furious stuff :D

Back