Hyundai announce "N" performance division, nabs EX Head BMW M division engineer in the process.

Production version anyone?

c8795930d9c86ee66a092ac4074d2f17f0d9c3634e2060b3e13a27b4ca5600ec.png

I'm in love with this thing.

If they make a production version of this thing, I will have it. I just hope it doesn't hit the streets as a fuel cell. Just make it a PHEV with ~30 miles of EV range, Hyundai, please.

Last edited:
I really wonder if they would dare to bring this to market with a Hydrogen fuel cell. They could only realistically sell it in a few markets, all of them in California. I think it would be a massively wasted opportunity. It would be awesome if they sold it with a few configurations, which is hardly abnormal for Hyundai (just look at the Ioniq and Kia Niro):

Base model: 1.6 turbo (RWD)
Hybrid: 1.6 turbo hybrid (RWD)
PHEV: 2.0 turbo hybrid + 12kwh battery (PHEV) (AWD)
BEV: 70kwh battery (AWD)
Fuel-Cell BEV: (per prototype) (AWD)

I'm in love with this thing.

If they make a production version of this thing, I will have it. I just hope it doesn't hit the streets as a fuel cell. Just make it a PHEV with ~30 miles of EV range, Hyundai, please.
Me too, if there's even a hint of a production version of this I'll be holding out on replacing my current car until it becomes available. It's so so cool.

California hijinks:

I can't see why the car would be allowed to be sold in the state if it wasn't legal. Then again sometimes things just don't make sense.
The cars legal in the state in the default exhaust seeing, which is all that's required, it's illegal in any of the other settings.

So all the owner had to do was hit a button on the steering wheel and bingo it's back in Normal and legal. However the idiot cop just wanted to be a tool.

It's an almost identical situation with my I30n in the UK, technicaly it's exhaust is illegal from a noise level point of view in anything but normal. Never been stopped because off it, and two cops who came around my daughter's house after she was in an RTA, actually asked me how loud it was in N mode and asked for a demo.

I think the bigger problem here is that CHP scumbags like this guy can seemingly suspend your registration on the spot for perceived violations of laws they are misquoting that they have no proof of being broken in the first place (and in this case, cannot prove because they are wrong). That's only half a step above the old standby of hick cops in Alabama pulling you over for spot citations that they'll make go away if you pay the fine on the side of the road.

I work in NVH for Nissan and we do all of the exhaust noise level testing in our department. Regulations only call for the car to pass said regulations in normal mode. Other modes do not need to be tested. What is hilarious about these cars being so loud, is that in my experience, South Korea is really strict on noise levels for cars sold in their country. Nissan had so many run-ins with SK trying to get the Altima of all things to pass their regulations that we ultimately just stopped selling it there. Wasn't worth the hassle since it wasn't selling well anyway.

Last edited:
So I'll be up for a new car in around 6 months and am seriously considering the i30N and started reading through this thread and noticed @Scaff is an owner of the fastback variant.

@Scaff if you don't mind me asking how have you found it to live with? Has there been any oh crap moments cost or repair wise through servicing etc?

I'd probably lean towards the manual hatch version but would need to drive them all to make up my mind when/if the time comes. The car gets good reviews here especially from reviewers I tend to trust but it's always nice to hear from an owner.

The cars legal in the state in the default exhaust seeing, which is all that's required, it's illegal in any of the other settings.
Negative. It's legal in the default setting which means it's legal and the other settings are irrelevant. Testing standards require that it pass in the default stop-start mode and hold no other provisions at all. It should be an unenforceable situation.

Negative. It's legal in the default setting which means it's legal and the other settings are irrelevant. Testing standards require that it pass in the default stop-start mode and hold no other provisions at all. It should be an unenforceable situation.
Do you know if that's ever been tested in court?

That aside, I was simply using the technicality to illustrate how this was screwed up by the authorities not once, but twice.

Last edited:
Although not an N car, I’ve recently changed to a new electric Kona due to having to cover a lot of local mileage.
Got to say this is a real little Q car, off the line 0 to 60 in the 6 second mark, with the bonus of being able to genuinely cover over 300 to a full charge.

Looking forward to seeing where Hyundai go in the future with their electric N cars.

Rumors say Hyundai will allegedly produce the N Vision 74, an announcement will be made on May 27th

According to a report published by the Korean publication Money Today, Hyundai will organize a "Pony Day" at its design studio in Seoul on May 27. It will not only reveal plans to build the car but also show it in its final guise, presumably less radical than last year's striking concept. Take the reveal date provided by MT with the proverbial pinch of salt as the publication doesn't mention from where it received the information, only referring to undisclosed industry sources.

Rumors say Hyundai will allegedly produce the N Vision 74, an announcement will be made on May 27th

I just hope it's not a pure BEV, or at least there is an option for either the fuel cell or some kind of plug-in hybrid setup. The design is still just awesome.

Other source says there's no such thing as a Pony Day and the N Vision 74 isn't going to happen

The debacle began when Korean outlet Money Today reported a production version of the Hyundai Pony Coupe-inspired concept would drop at a "Pony Day" event in Seoul on May 27. However, another Korean publication, newspaper conglomerate Wikitree, says Hyundai told it "there is no plan to mass-produce the Pony Coupe, and there is no [May 27] Pony Day event planned."

That sounds clear-cut, but when we contacted Hyundai USA for clarity, the picture blurred again. Hyundai's spokespeople couldn't comment on whether the N Vision 74 will reach production, saying: "We're totally in the dark about that." If even parts of Hyundai don't know, then all we can do is speculate—and the available evidence only makes that more difficult.

Last edited:
Hyundai confirms there will be no production version of the N Vision 74, however they are making a Pony Coupe recreation concept

A Hyundai spokesperson from the U.S. has put the final nail in the coffin of the rumor that the automaker is working to put a production version of the N Vision 74 into production under the name “Pony Coupe.”

“We are aware of media speculations on the potential commercial production of the N Vision 74 rolling lab development model,” Hyundai spokesperson Derek Joyce told Carscoops after talking to the company’s Korean brass. “However, we currently have no plan to put the model into commercial production.”

However, what is coming soon is a recreation of the original Pony Coupe.

When it announced the project, Hyundai said that the recreated classic concept would be revealed in the spring of this year. Unfortunately, the car is intended only as a trip down memory lane for the brand, and it will not spawn a new model either.

“While the heritage and spirit of Pony models have a lasting impact on the Hyundai Motor Company, we currently have no plan for a commercial production of the Pony Coupe Concept,” said Joyce.

Back