Hyundai announce "N" performance division, nabs EX Head BMW M division engineer in the process.

We will. Should get the full N performance version too. But I'd rather have the i20 N....
Thanks for your insights on this.

For undisclosed reasons, the 2021 Kona's are not being introduced on schedule, at least not the facelifted versions. I wonder when we can expect these? Reviews I've seen of earlier model years have reported clunky shifts from the DCT, yet Asian reviews of the 2021 N-Line appear to have extremely seamless and smooth shifts from the DCT. Are you aware of improvements having been made to this transmission for all versions coming in 2021?

Thanks for your insights on this.

For undisclosed reasons, the 2021 Kona's are not being introduced on schedule, at least not the facelifted versions. I wonder when we can expect these? Reviews I've seen of earlier model years have reported clunky shifts from the DCT, yet Asian reviews of the 2021 N-Line appear to have extremely seamless and smooth shifts from the DCT. Are you aware of improvements having been made to this transmission for all versions coming in 2021?
The Hyundai 7-speed DCT is fairly clunky. Kind of how most DCT transmissions are. Hyundai is really bad about releasing info on new cars or putting them on their website until cars are on dealer lots.

Incorrect, actually. It's the new smartstream 1.6L that pretty much only has it's displacement and power level in common with the current/past 1.6L.
For reference:

2017-2020 Elantra Sport version: (9.5:1 compression, boost control solenoid)
dsc-4001-1.jpg

2019+ Veloster Turbo / 2020+ Kia Forte GT / 2020+ Kia Soul Turbo version: (10:1 compression, electronic wastegate)
2020-Kia-Forte-GT-engine.jpg

New, Smartstream 1.6T used in 2021 Elantra N-Line, i20 N, Sonata, K5, etc. (10.5:1 compression, CVVD technology)
Hyundai-i20-N-17.jpg

Last edited:
VXR
That's one aesthetically challenged car. Blimey.
I think most of it's okay, but I'd prefer if the slash going up the body side intersected with the one coming off the top of the rear lights. That looks more like an error in the clay model than a design choice.

Would also be cool if it was AWD like the GR Yaris, but can't win 'em all.

2022 Tucson N-Line unveiled. Will be sold in Europe, though unclear if the US will also get this package. Powertrain is the same as the normal Tucson, though the N-Line features a sportier front bumper, larger air intake, larger rear bumper and spoiler, dual-exhausts, a revised suspension, among other cosmetic changes.

upload_2021-1-27_10-28-29.png

upload_2021-1-27_10-28-35.png

upload_2021-1-27_10-28-41.png

upload_2021-1-27_10-28-47.png

1625992955049.png

Look at it, I mean that is a clown's car. Too flashy, too much bling-bling. The previous model is a much better looking car.

Last edited:
There's a lot going on with the tailights and it's a bit "three cuts in the eybrows/tryin' wild out", but I applud their effort in this segment.
1626003962422.png

These cars are the size of my Mazda2 with all that performance. To some people, clowns make them smile. ;)

View attachment 1066810

Look at it, I mean that is a clown's car. Too flashy, too much bling-bling. The previous model is a much better looking car.
The pre-facelift i20 was bearable, if a little boring. Personally, I thought the post-facelift was a disaster from the same angle - That black insert looks lost on such a generic looking package and it looks under-wheeled.

The new i20 is bound to divide opinion, like with much of Hyundai's current lineup, but I appreciate its aggressive styling on the N-Line/N variants. The tail lights are reminiscent of the Lexus IS (that sadly we don't get here).

Last edited:
The pre-facelift i20 was bearable, if a little boring. Personally, I thought the post-facelift was a disaster from the same angle - That black insert looks lost on such a generic looking package and it looks under-wheeled.

The new i20 is bound to divide opinion, like with much of Hyundai's current lineup, but I appreciate its aggressive styling on the N-Line/N variants. The tail lights are reminiscent of the Lexus IS (that sadly we don't get here).
I was wrong. I thought this was the new N i30. Oops. But still, this N i20 looks like a clown's car.

Big fan. I wish the chassis was just better stiffen straight out of the gate so the rear seat passage wasn't blocked by a brace. Overall this looks much better than the lower-spec versions and also looks better than the race car.

I absolutely hate that goofy looking spoiler. I hope you can option that out or get a completely different one. The car would look better with a ducktail or Type-R style wing.

Last edited:
Two things I would do if I bought one:
  1. Ditch the 19's
  2. Get the black parts of the front bumper painted body color

View attachment 1067375
Excuse the poor quality, I'm not great at the whole photoshop stuff, but here is a quick colour in of the Black sections, front and rear, that I didn't really like.

1626258650543.png
1626258664464.png

If I were to buy one, I'd do that straight away. I wonder if it will be an option to have them painted in the body colour?

I prefer the OEM black. It's weird but it's also unique.

Pulling this comment from last year but I'd just like to clarify that this car is absolutely stunning, likely the prettiest thing Hyundai has ever created and is miles better than the new Elantra N:

They are for now, so it would have been. 8-Speed DCT isn't available until next year.

Speaking of...

80389871_573743273463728_7242566736648601600_o.jpg

If only they sold this in the US. 👎
That ducktail is so clean and mature looking. Something like that would look amazing on the new car.

Last edited:
Saw a white Elantra N, during an after-school pick up. Only saw the rear and left side. Really digging the tailight treatment. 👍

If we don't get the Veloster N in GT7, I'll be a bit peeved.
There are a crap ton of companies that have been under-represented in GT and Korean brands are among them. At this point, Hyundai has put out numerous worthy cars over the past 10+ years.

Just bought a 2019MY i30N Performance Fastback.

View attachment 1076488

Picking it up tomorrow. I have to say the build quality inside blew me away, as in comparison to my current (2019) Rav-4 is a step up all round, and damn is it a fun drive.
That's awesome! Congrats!
I bought its canadian cousin. :P
Been driving it for 5 months now and it is still as fun to drive. :)

217395195_174772961368997_7944662743997878369_n.jpg

Last edited:
That’s crazy. Would give a stock R34 GT-R a hard time. Plus, in the scheme of things, even as an Fwd, it ain’t that much slower(by professional drivers though :D) than a V10 M5.:sly:

The narrator was upset about no panel roof, but mentions Hyundai wanted to safe weight, by not offering a spare tyre. I’d have one without a sunroof anyway. Just for that weight saving.

Back