Hyundai to finally launch Genesis as standalone brand

• Thread starter Anthony
  • 128 comments
That's certainly an interesting choice of wheel design.

Not too bad.

True, I didn't even notice. They also have a more normal-ish design available.

Genesis-GV70-3-1.jpg

Mercedes in the front, Porsche in the back, a bit of 928 in the rear quarter window and maybe BMW or Audi or Infiniti or etc., in the middle. :sly:

Those front lights have a Volvo feel and the rear quarter is very Audi. Interior looks like something Alfa or Lexus would do.

It's a little bit of absolutely everything :lol:

Almost too similar at the rear to the KIA Proceed?

Attachments

• kia-proceed-side-view-960x720 (1).jpg
    kia-proceed-side-view-960x720 (1).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 27
I should clarify for the marketing team at Genesis that this is in fact a 5-door wagon, not a 3-door shooting brake. But it sounds cool.

That shooting brake, which is not a shooting brake apparently, is one beautiful car. The front end reminds me of a Ford Mondeo.

The All-electric GV60 has been spotted uncovered on a photoshoot featuring... A very unique C-pillar design

It seems you’ve discovered something top secret and it’s been removed. I hope you don’t get disappeared as well :lol:

It seems you’ve discovered something top secret and it’s been removed. I hope you don’t get disappeared as well :lol:
Perhaps embedding leaked content wasn't the best idea... Luckily I found screengrabs instead, surely these are more permanent! ;)
GV60 1.png

GV60 2.png

GV60 3.png

Is that just the Elantra Sport hatch?

Edit: I30N Fastback.
images (16).jpeg

Had to look it up. Not quite, but the family resemblance is in the booty. ;)

Last edited:
Is that just the Elantra Sport hatch?

Edit: I30N Fastback.
View attachment 1071758
Had to look it up. Not quite, but the family resemblance is in the booty. ;)
We're about to see a lot of "resemblance". The kammback SUV revolution is upon us and the Tesla Model Y is the default style lol. It literally is about to look like the "default" car, it's just got the perfect shape and very little in the way of graphics or complex shapes. This GV60 looks like a directly Model & competitor.

Yeah, that Model Y looks fine. Don't know what Honda and Toyota were thinking with their Insight and Prius, respectively.

Yeah, that Model Y looks fine. Don't know what Honda and Toyota were thinking with their Insight and Prius, respectively.
The previous-gen Insights and every Prius after the first one have also been kammbacks.

2020-Tesla-Model-Y-vs-Model-3-25.jpg

2010-honda-insight-side-view-promo.jpg

Toyota-Prius-2016_004.JPG

They're basically all the exact same design with different graphical treatment and surface contours. The main difference is that the Model Y is a bit taller and steeper because crossover. By the time future EVs reach Model X size they'll either require deployable spoilers or have narrower upper greenhouses. Either way, their shapes will become ridiculous and less utilitarian than would be ideal.

2005-mercedes-bionic-concept.jpg

One good thing about EV design, unlike the Insight and Prius, is that long-wheelbase design is actually a benefit. Because of crash standards and drivetrain packaging, front-drive ICE cars require a large front overhang whereas EVs can get away with the lovely rear-drive proportions of the Model 3 and Model Y. So front that perspective we can expect attractively proportioned cars. They'll all look roughly the same but at least they'll be proportional.

Last edited:
The previous-gen Insights and every Prius after the first one have also been kammbacks.

2020-Tesla-Model-Y-vs-Model-3-25.jpg

2010-honda-insight-side-view-promo.jpg

Toyota-Prius-2016_004.JPG

They're basically all the exact same design with different graphical treatment and surface contours. The main difference is that the Model Y is a bit taller and steeper because crossover. By the time future EVs reach Model X size they'll either require deployable spoilers or have narrower upper greenhouses. Either way, their shapes will become ridiculous and less utilitarian than would be ideal.

2005-mercedes-bionic-concept.jpg

One good thing about EV design, unlike the Insight and Prius, is that long-wheelbase design is actually a benefit. Because of crash standards and drivetrain packaging, front-drive ICE cars require a large front overhang whereas EVs can get away with the lovely rear-drive proportions of the Model 3 and Model Y. So front that perspective we can expect attractively proportioned cars. They'll all look roughly the same but at least they'll be proportional.
I'm saying their styling. The Prius looks bad. Honda looks bland. The Model Y is certainly basic, but smooth. Definitely more upscale than the offerings from Japan. To me.

I mean, if the Honda and Toyota were designed in the USA, shame they couldn't have looked at the Kei cars for inspiration.

Last edited:
The Electric GV60 is here... And it has made a debut in one of the least desirable colours possible :boggled:
2023-Genesis-GV60-EV-6.jpg

2023-Genesis-GV60-EV-8.jpg

2023-Genesis-GV60-EV-7.jpg

It's not bad from the outside, but in this shade it is giving me C4 Cactus vibes and doesn't appear to look more premium than the Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6. Perhaps my opinion will change once I see other variations in different colours. Questionable colour coding continues with the interior:
2023-Genesis-GV60-EV-5.jpg

Holy Jesus, someone put that thing out of its misery. That is just terrible. Hope it never comes to the States because I can see that putting a big ding in the prestige of the Genesis brand. It looks like a car from a kids cartoon show. The PJ Maskmobile

I like it. I already like Genesis's exterior language and I dig what they've done inside as well. The blue combined with the art deco/retro-futuristic shapes really kick ass. It's just too bad America refuses to be smart and accept camera mirrors.

Jesus, every time I come to this thread I see that G70 wagon 🥵

Anyway. 🧹🧹🧹

You know a company has done a great job of design when you can't even tell their car has platform mates. For whatever reason, I didn't even realize this GV60 is based on the same platform as the Ioniq 5 and EV6.

More Genesis news.

Hot on the heels of the Genesis X coupe concept which we've seen the Gr3 version of in GT7 is this new...shooting brake? Several details have been updated on this new concept and it once again looks fantastic, if you're into shooting brakes. The hatch slopes much more steeply than a traditional shooting brake but it looks rad either way.

The new G90 powertrain gets an electric supercharger? Interesting.

God dang these cars look amazing. I don't know what else to say about them lol. Stunning.

Just like the Citroen looking suv, that Shootingbrake reminds my of the Renault Alpine. Picking some French cues isn’t bad. Very cool.

Back